HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 8:10 PM

The subservient position of the scout at Champlain's feet was a major issue in the 90s, hence why the Scout was moved to Major's Hill. I assume Champlain might be removed from his perch, and knocked down a peg, so to speak. I could see the Scout go up at the top. We shall see.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
You wouldn't amend the site plan to move the statue temporarily.
Completely agree but at the same time, the statue is the focal point and dictates the rest of the design IMO. Once you remove the statue the rest of the design doesn't really makes sense or at least knowing this detail earlier could've meant quite a different design and more possibilities

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 10:11 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

The NCC has a board, but maybe it needs a hammer and planks

Kelly Egan, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Apr 05, 2022 • 1 hour ago • 3 minute read

The National Capital Commission is advertising for a new board member and — holy Knights of Columbus — not just anybody.

Out of perverse curiousity, we had a look at the terms and qualifications to join the special 15-member group, which is drawn from coast to coast.

It pays a per diem of between $310 and $375, with an annual retainer of between $4,000 and $4,700 and applicants should be prepared to devote between 15 to 20 days a year, not including prep time, and able to obtain a “secret” security clearance.

The board only actually meets in public session four times a year (more often by teleconference), thus its description as a “part-time” job.

It helps to be bilingual and preference “may be given” to applicants from “one or more” of these groups: women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities and members of a visible minority.

As for qualifications, it will be considered “an asset” if you have, and here is where most of you can just stop filling in the application and go home:
  • a university degree or a combination of experience and training that amounts to the same.
  • sat on other boards.
  • experience “in the area of bridges and civil infrastructures.”
  • a professional accounting designation.
  • experience in habitat/wildlife conservation and ecology.
  • knowledge of construction, planning and design, architecture and “land use initiatives.”
  • travel, tourism and hospitality industry know-how is also in there, as is “climate change mitigation.”

Now one might be a total smart-arse and think the NCC is looking for some kind of chartered accountant with a background as a zoo-keeping, bridge-building, sous-chef — both here and in far-off lands — but this would be wrong. Because that’s not enough.

Candidates are expected to have a “knowledge of the history of the National Capital Region, the importance of the various Indigenous peoples in the region and the Government of Canada’s commitment to reconciliation” and many other knowledges, too numerous to list here, but rest assured, you certainly lack them.

Then there’s a list of behaviour guidelines and conflict-of-interest rules, ethics codes, and so on, to ensure you can get along with people without, one supposes, too much screaming.

We’re having a little fun with the NCC today, but it is a moment to ask whether a board of richly résuméd people from across Canada is the way to constitute the main federal planning arm in the nation’s capital.

Honestly, when I look at their bios — and these are accomplished people who should be thanked for their service — you do wonder if most of them could find the corner of Bank and Sparks without asking a cop.

A Toronto lawyer, a West Quebec forester, a Quebec City architect, a planning professor from Vancouver, an Algonquin government bureaucrat, an east-coast banker, other high-flyers — the census diversity is certainly there. (In my experience, though, most tend to be fairly quiet in open session.)

As for how much “heft” the board really has, the record is patchy. The NCC is responsible for 24 Sussex Drive, for instance, and it remains a national disgrace. The NCC said to put the Civic campus of The Ottawa Hospital at Tunney’s Pasture and that decision was reversed in about a week. The last big attempt at redeveloping LeBreton Flats crashed and burned after four years of effort.

People reached out to the NCC about the addition to the Château Laurier hotel (on the doorstep of the Rideau Canal) and it dissolved into a mushy compromise. I mean, where does all this expertise get us?

The additions of the mayors of Ottawa and Gatineau (non-voting roles) was certainly a good idea and, no doubt, someone like Jim Watson guides them through local terrain.

But of all the good things the NCC does — and crankiness aside, it does many — lots appear to be decisions made at the level of Tobi Nussbaum, the chief executive. Things like bicycle days on the parkways and closing Canal byways to car traffic during the pandemic, or throwing up a bistro here and there, or waking up to the potential of the Ottawa and Rideau rivers.

The NCC oversees a huge portfolio of 1,600 properties and owns 11 per cent of the capital’s real estate. It also has a massive role in how city-building unfolds here (Greenbelt, LRT, Gatineau Park).

If you were designing from scratch, would you put in charge of all that a federal Crown corporation, with a 15-member pan-Canadian board, with only four full meetings a year and a reporting route to a federal minister? Probably not.

Oh, but to have the knowledge.

To contact Kelly Egan, please call 613-291-6265 or email kegan@postmedia.com
Twitter.com/kellyegancolumn

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...mer-and-planks

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 9:39 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

New Moore Farm tenant pledges to be 'caretaker' for historic estate
Urban farm in Gatineau, Que., has faced financial difficulties in recent years

CBC News
Posted: Apr 10, 2022 3:27 PM ET | Last Updated: 2 hours ago

The new tenant of Moore Farm — a 12-hectare property in Gatineau, Que., that's seen its share of financial hardships in recent years — is trying to convince skeptical residents to get behind their big plans for the historic urban farm.

For decades the western Quebec estate, leased by the National Capital Commission (NCC), has seen tenants come and go. In 2018, a co-operative trying to run the early 20th-century farm filed for bankruptcy, backing out of its deal with the Crown corporation.

On Saturday, the latest tenant, Restaurant La Commune, presented its vision for the site at a community meeting.

The group plans to run a "farm-to-table restaurant" on the property off Boulevard Alexandre-Taché, while maintaining an open space where people can walk their dogs, bike, and cross-country ski, said the group's owner, Matthew Maxsom.

"I remember when there used to be horses running in the fields — and then it turned to ruin. Nobody was here anymore and it wasn't being taken care of," Maxsom said in an interview.

"And it was just sad to see because it's such an amazing site. The community deserves to have something working in it, something being taken care of. And that's what we plan to do — is to be the caretakers."

Some who live near the farm expressed concern about the group's plans at Saturday's meeting.

"We are really attached to its proximity and its use," said Sylvie Turcotte, a member of the community group Association des résidants des Jardins Taché, in a French-language interview.

"We take advantage of the trails, we take advantage of the site, the view, the landscape and that's what we are afraid of losing," she said. "The residents are fearful. They don't want to be restricted from accessing [the farm]."

Jocelyn Blondin, councillor for Manoir-des-Trembles–Val-Tétreau, said he hears those complaints.

"I've had a lot of emails, a lot of calls from citizens," he said. "Their concerns are about room rental in the evening for weddings and receptions, the restaurant, the expansion of the parking lot."

Restaurant La Commune said it's committed to getting along with its neighbours and preserving the property's role as an urban farm.

The NCC echoed those sentiments.

"NCC signed a long-term lease for the Moore Farm Estate [with Restaurant La Commune and they] will maintain our vision of urban agriculture on the site," it wrote in a French-language statement.

Existing leases will be maintained with Apicentris, a beekeeping collective, and community gardens on the site, the NCC said.

The NCC said it and Restaurant La Commune will work closely with city officials to obtain a zoning change over the next few months to allow the site to be financially viable.

The farm's stable was completed in 1910 and is a rare example of the Queen Anne Revival style being used in an agricultural setting. It was declared a federal heritage building in 1991.

With files from Radio-Canada's Emmanuelle Poisson

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...nant-1.6415227

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
"I've had a lot of emails, a lot of calls from citizens," he said. "Their concerns are about room rental in the evening for weddings and receptions, the restaurant, the expansion of the parking lot."
"Oh no, people might get married!" is a new one for me.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 6:59 AM

Champlain was probably the most respectful to indigenous people of any of the Europeans commemorated in Ottawa. Unlike subsequent europeans he more or less treated them like equal nations. This is the statue that people want to take down?

It reminds me of when Montreal renamed Dorchester, literally the most French-friendly person in the entire British Empire.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 6:50 PM

The agenda for the next Board meeting was published. The Lebreton Flat update is the last thing on the agenda.

https://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/events/public-...WEh5kivQe8LbnU

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 6:40 PM

Something about a Parkway review in that last Tweet. I'm assuming we may one day see narrowing of some of the Parkways of full-on removal in favour of better active transportation. Maybe even a tramway? Not sure the Parkways are the best routes (I prefer lines at the centre of neighbourhoods, not at the edge), but better than the slap in the face the City has been offering.

Quote:
NEW | Speed limit reduced to 40 km/h on Queen Elizabeth Drive and a section of Colonel By Drive starting on September 19.

This change will:
✅ Ensure a uniform speed limit along these corridors
✅ Increase safety on the parkways

Details: https://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/news/new-speed..._medium=social #otttraffic

Quote:
National Capital Commission
@NCC_CCN
·
23h
Over the past decade, several new active transportation crossings have been implemented on Colonel By Drive and the Queen Elizabeth Driveway, including:

������♂️Corktown Footbridge
������Bank Street and Seneca Street
������Dows Lake.
Quote:
National Capital Commission
@NCC_CCN
These recent crossings have included reductions in the posted speed limits (from 60 km/h to 40 km/h) for approaching vehicles.

The NCC parkway policy is currently under review and should be completed in 2024.
2:58 PM · Sep 15, 2022
·Twitter Web App
https://twitter.com/NCC_CCN/status/1...TAUjvGgHmC5HNQ

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 6:59 PM

The more I think of it, the more I'd like to see the Queen E. be transformed into a Transitway. I think a route down Bank would be more beneficial, but it's not worth the expense. Too many lights for a busway or tramway. Underground is not justified at this time. Queen E. as a Transitway could build ridership to one day better justify a Bank subway once Line 2 and Bayview are maxed-out.

Stations could be under Laurier, at Somerset and Argyle in Centretown, and at the Flora Footbridge and Lansdowne in the Glebe. You could even continue it to reach the Carling BRT-lite.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
The more I think of it, the more I'd like to see the Queen E. be transformed into a Transitway. I think a route down Bank would be more beneficial, but it's not worth the expense. Too many lights for a busway or tramway. Underground is not justified at this time. Queen E. as a Transitway could build ridership to one day better justify a Bank subway once Line 2 and Bayview are maxed-out.

Stations could be under Laurier, at Somerset and Argyle in Centretown, and at the Flora Footbridge and Lansdowne in the Glebe. You could even continue it to reach the Carling BRT-lite.
I agree, it's much better to convert the Queen Elizabeth Drive to a Tramway to accommodate better connection from Carling, Bronson, Lansdowne, and to Byward. That way there's a better connection to Line 1 and Line 2 as well through Rideau Centre (it can stop near Byward after Mackenzie King near the National Arts Centre) and stop at Dow's Lake. One, that would make Dow's Lake much better for all the densification efforts (considering there's Soho Italia, Icon, The Sky, and the 60 floor proposal from Claridge). It also creates a connection to the hospital and Lansdowne for downtown residents.

NCC can also definitely build or utilize things along the Queen Elizabeth route and better maintain Colonel By Drive as the road for vehicles. I know Colonel By won't have much room to expand but it could also be expanded to be 3 lanes and switch per rush hour timings (like Portage Bridge).

That's just my two cents.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2022, 11:34 AM

Path forward for Capital pathways

https://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/blog/the-path-...apital-pathway

I'll post the details in the cycling thread.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 6:01 PM

I'd align the canal tramway stations with the Corkstown and Flora bridges, but yeah.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
I'd align the canal tramway stations with the Corkstown and Flora bridges, but yeah.
Agreed. I'd also prefer a BRT for a quick build-out, providing a much needed service ASAP. If it ever gets close to capacity, then we could explore a Bank subway, which would mean the Queen E. BRT could continue service during construction. Pretty tired of core services being detoured or shut-down for years while they are being upgraded (Transitway to O-Tran), or "upgraded" (Line 2).

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 3:09 PM

Next Board Meeting will be Tuesday, October 4th. Agenda not up yet. I'm always so excited about these.

https://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/events/public-...g-october-2022

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Next Board Meeting will be Tuesday, October 4th. Agenda not up yet. I'm always so excited about these.

Same
Last few have been very underwhelming though.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Same
Last few have been very underwhelming though.

Not the last one though! Did you already forget the Sens get another shot at LeBreton!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 8:08 PM

Quote:

Not the last one though! Did you already forget the Sens get another shot at LeBreton!
Hopefully more info on new parcels and we get some decent timelines!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 3:01 PM

agenda for the next board meeting is up on the website

Nothing about Lebreton Flat unfortunately except for an in-camera session

Last edited by SL123; Sep 29, 2022 at 5:28 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Agreed. I'd also prefer a BRT for a quick build-out, providing a much needed service ASAP. If it ever gets close to capacity, then we could explore a Bank subway, which would mean the Queen E. BRT could continue service during construction. Pretty tired of core services being detoured or shut-down for years while they are being upgraded (Transitway to O-Tran), or "upgraded" (Line 2).
I would like to know when transit service that actually serves the core got "upgraded", because the local buses that serve core neighbourhoods have not gotten any better post-LRT... which was something we were told to be patient, and wait for, and it would be awesome.

It isn't. It hasn't been. There have been a bunch of things even made worse.

But I am at a loss to identify any single promise to core residents, who were told bus service would be better once resources were freed up post-LRT, that has actually been kept.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 10:38 PM

They are going to rename nepean point it seems

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues