HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
interesting. thanks for that. im not highly educated in these types of things, im only a " dreamer/opinion " type person on here. thats why i lean on everyone else to have that info so correct me lol
Correct me if I'm wrong but each phase/building has to be approved, first conceptually, then in detail by the MVA administration, design review panel (made up of architects etc) and finally the board. Concurrently, the same process is done at the municipal level with administration, mpc and council.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 7:50 PM
the heat goes on

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBAG View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but each phase/building has to be approved, first conceptually, then in detail by the MVA administration, design review panel (made up of architects etc) and finally the board. Concurrently, the same process is done at the municipal level with administration, mpc and council.
Yes, though council has deferred approval of all future development on parcel yy to administration.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 2:22 PM

i still think in my opinion that with this process taking so many years to figure out and plan that all boards, admins, and whoever is involved in it should be ready to push this through without any delay. they shouldnt release any info on 3-4 weeks before we start digging for real. everything should stamped for approval and all the "i(s)" dotted and the "t(s)" crossed prior to any story release.

i know sky city for winnipeg ive heard has to go in 2017 or else the project gets scrapped. i think this shouldve been the case for this project too. regardless who owns the land. i know everyones saying august to start...but do we all really think so?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 4:34 PM

Quote:
i know sky city for winnipeg ive heard has to go in 2017 or else the project gets scrapped. i think this shouldve been the case for this project too. regardless who owns the land. i know everyones saying august to start...but do we all really think so?
Different project by Fortress, nothing to do with the SkyCity project. See the last post of the SkyCity thread.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 5:00 PM

Quote:
i still think in my opinion that with this process taking so many years to figure out and plan that all boards, admins, and whoever is involved in it should be ready to push this through without any delay. they shouldnt release any info on 3-4 weeks before we start digging for real. everything should stamped for approval and all the "i(s)" dotted and the "t(s)" crossed prior to any story release.
I'm not sure how that would ever be possible. There is a public process to follow with these things, meaning that as they work their way through approvals (eg - committee/council), agendas are released publicly and these details come to light, and then the media scoops it.

The developer usually times a press release around the time these hit the public agendas anyway - as occurred here. The word was put out there by the developer first. They want to create a buzz.

As far as the layers of approvals, boards and authorities can be as ready as possible to push an application through the approvals sequence, but the onus is still on the developer to make a full and complete submission in a timely manner so that a full review and approval can actually occur. Oftentimes, the detailed plans and drawings for permits are not submitted by a developer until well after approval in principle from Council. Why go to the considerable expense of having full construction drawings made up if Council doesn't approve the concept?

It is not unusual for there to be a gap between announcement, ceremonial groundbreaking, and actual digging. This happens in development often, and around the world. Rest easy.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I'm not sure how that would ever be possible. There is a public process to follow with these things, meaning that as they work their way through approvals (eg - committee/council), agendas are released publicly and these details come to light, and then the media scoops it.

The developer usually times a press release around the time these hit the public agendas anyway - as occurred here. The word was put out there by the developer first. They want to create a buzz.

As far as the layers of approvals, boards and authorities can be as ready as possible to push an application through the approvals sequence, but the onus is still on the developer to make a full and complete submission in a timely manner so that a full review and approval can actually occur. Oftentimes, the detailed plans and drawings for permits are not submitted by a developer until well after approval in principle from Council. Why go to the considerable expense of having full construction drawings made up if Council doesn't approve the concept?

It is not unusual for there to be a gap between announcement, ceremonial groundbreaking, and actual digging. This happens in development often, and around the world. Rest easy.
this is why i have super intelligent people like you to educate me on stuff like this lol.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca View Post
Details with respect to excavation and shoring can be found here:
http://meewasin.com/about/developmen...consideration/

new report came out. Fri aug 12, having a meeting regarding the excavation.

if you click on the Parcel Y link, itll take you to a PDF with full specs/info.

pretty neat what its showing in the pictures.

thoughts anyone?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 9:45 PM

Quote:
new report came out. Fri aug 12, having a meeting regarding the excavation.

if you click on the Parcel Y link, itll take you to a PDF with full specs/info.

pretty neat what its showing in the pictures.

thoughts anyone?
What I find interesting about the floor layout:
- The hotel has no direct water views. They are side views. The condo part of the tower has the direct water front view.
- Hotel only has a bar in its base. The food prep area on the second floor looks to be their to support catering for the meeting rooms.
- The restaurant has a separate entrance and a water view and will likely operate independently of the hotel.

Nice layout. I think at the end of the day this hotel is going to mid-market, basically competing with Holiday Inn.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 6:36 AM

I see they increased the number of condos from about 80 to 116 which is fine. I wonder how inter changeable the floor designs are? It will probably go by demand from presales and such I suspect.

It looks like the target heights are about 54 for the hotel and 50 meters for the condo By the drawings... although I am a little confused as it also stated 50.1 and 45.7. Although that seems to correlate with the floor slab on floor 16 of each building.

I'm really hoping the project looks as good once its up as it does in the renders.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 3:51 PM

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 5:17 PM

This is a wonderful development for the city if Saskatoon. Definitely something to be proud of if it ever comes to life. Renders look great hopefully it stays true. Coming from a Winnipeger

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 5:34 PM

Pretty thougtful design all in all. It looks modern and has great street level interaction.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 1:32 AM

Anything new on this? When are they starting?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBAG View Post
Anything new on this? When are they starting?
On the meewasin website, the application to excavate was approved on friday aug 12th. So in my mind...any day now.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 5:28 PM

I hear shoring and excavation were tendered, structural parkade foundation should be any day now.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmmace View Post
I hear shoring and excavation were tendered, structural parkade foundation should be any day now.
good to hear. was wondering what happened to this project

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 1:50 PM

So....our "summer" construction season is coming to an end and still no shovels in ground or any sign of activity. I DO believe this project will proceed (albeit in phases), but it really would have been nice to see physical signs of progress before Fall. Still hoping....

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
So....our "summer" construction season is coming to an end and still no shovels in ground or any sign of activity. I DO believe this project will proceed (albeit in phases), but it really would have been nice to see physical signs of progress before Fall. Still hoping....
maybe they meant 3-4 months instead of 3-4 weeks lol

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 12:34 AM

Well if we have learn't anything its that these guys are not good at estimation. Lol

I think its definately a go. I suspect that any possible delay now may be to do with the contractors. Its a pretty big project at the end of the busy season, there are probably some mobilization issues. Or maybe they have to wait until the contract with impark expires.

There are too many players in the game now I'd be very surprised if nothing happened.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 12:49 AM

hmmmm..

has any one noticed that the main office tower of this project has ..gotten...
...shorter??

..may have to change this threads floor count to '18 stories' now, instead of 22

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan