HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 5:23 PM
Student

It's amazing how many schools are located on the Beltline. A number of students already take MARTA to and from school. This mode of transport will greatly increase the number of students who do commute that method.

Southside, Grady, Carver are all located on the line. As is Brown and Inman Middle School. Walden just closed, I know there are more, but I can't recall any westside High Schools now. Washington might be.

Here are some photos documenting current transportation within the proposed Beltline ROW around APS Schools

http://christophertmartin.com/uploads/Beltline/Schools/

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 12:55 PM

Now here's how they got stuff done in the old days. Thirteen months from beginning to end, including buying the land, surveys and actual construction, and battling through a court injunction and an appeal to the state Supreme Court.

From Robert H. Hanson's fantastic The West Point Route:

At the annual meeting of the stockholders on September
13, 1898, a majority of the A&WP shareholders voted to
build a branch line from Oakland City (southwest Atlanta)
to Hulsey, site of the Georgia Railroad freight yards, a
distance of approximately six miles. The company promptly
secured an amendment to its charter to permit it to do so, and
spent $39,455.64 on land, surveys and - apparently - some
construction.

On December 9, 1898, the Superior Court of the City
of Atlanta issued a temporary restraining order stopping
all work on the belt line, as the Hulsey branch was known,
pending a hearing on the legality of the matter. This was
done at the behest of several minority stockholders, Julius M.
Alexander and the Central of Georgia Railway among them.
These shareholders maintained that, without a unanimous
vote in favor of the project, it was illegal for the company to
pursue the project.

The hearing was held on January 25, 1899, and a decision
adverse to the company was rendered on March 9th. The
decision was appealed to the Supreme Court of Georgia,
the case being argued on May 26-27, 1899. The Georgia
Supreme Court upheld the decision on July 20, 1899.

Not to be outdone, a group of Atlanta businessmen, led
by A&WP President George C. Smith, obtained a charter
for the Atlanta Belt Line Railroad Company on October 17,
1899, and proceeded to complete the project. These investors
had apparently purchased the completed work from the
A&WP and contracted with the company to continue with
the work on their behalf, as the project was completed three
days following the granting of the charter by the State of
Georgia.

Last edited by Andrea; Oct 20, 2008 at 4:03 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 8:08 PM

Atlanta council OKs Beltline parks plan

Atlanta Business Chronicle - by Dave Williams Staff Writer

The Atlanta City Council voted unanimously Monday to move forward with the design and construction of a series of parks that make up the green-space component of the city’s Beltline project.

The city will work in a public-private partnership with Atlanta BeltLine Inc. to create a linear system linking existing and new parks and trails along a 22-mile corridor encircling Atlanta’s urban core.

City political and business leaders are anxious to move ahead with the project, despite the difficulties the current economic downturn is imposing on the bond markets.

“This is yet another vote of confidence in the BeltLine and further affirmation of its importance to the City of Atlanta,” said Terri Montague, president and CEO of Atlanta BeltLine Inc. “The BeltLine is indeed happening.”

Under the agreement approved on Monday, Atlanta BeltLine will be required to design and construct each park in a manner that is consistent with a city-approved master plan. The plan will be created by the city’s parks department subject to the approval of the city council and mayor.

The city will be responsible for buying the land and will own the park property.

A $60 million capital fund raised through private donations will finance early development of key parks and trail segments.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 10:32 PM

Atlanta City Council OKs first Beltline bond

Atlanta Business Chronicle - by Dave Williams

The Atlanta City Council approved $64.5 million in bond funding for the city’s Beltline project Wednesday, narrowly beating a deadline that the current credit freeze had put in doubt.

About $45 million of the money will go to complete the sale of a section of the Beltline corridor in northeast Atlanta by Gwinnett County developers Wayne and Keith Mason. Atlanta BeltLine Inc., the company set up to oversee development along the former rail corridor, faces an Oct. 31 deadline to finish the sale.

Other portions of the bond will go toward administrative costs, an affordable housing fund and the Atlanta Development Authority’s purchase of two real estate companies’ interest in the so-called Northeast Corridor. By law, the property had to be moved into the public domain in order for the city to finance the project with tax-exempt bonds, said Terri Montague, president and CEO of Atlanta BeltLine Inc.

Earlier this year, the council authorized $120 million as the initial bond for the multi-year Beltline project, a plan to revitalize a 22-mile corridor surrounding the city’s core neighborhoods. But the crash of the credit markets during the last six weeks made it impossible to find banks willing to make such a large investment.

Two banks, Wachovia Corp. and SunTrust Banks Inc., stepped in this week with a compromise plan to float the project a bridge loan until next July. Each will contribute $32.25 million.

Dick Layton, managing director of public finance for Wachovia Securities, said the city would be able to obtain long-term refinancing of the loan next summer, as was originally intended, assuming the credit markets have stabilized by then.

“Capital is very tight. Loans are difficult to make,” Layton said. “Given the state of the credit markets, both banks deserve a lot of credit.”

The council approved the bond resolution 9-1 during a special meeting called to take up the proposal.

Councilwoman Felicia Moore, the resolution’s only opponent, questioned whether all parts to the Beltline need taxpayer funding in order for development to occur. She said some areas already are being redeveloped with private investment.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 2:24 AM
Reliable Source

I don't understand why the city couldn't renegotiate a better deal with Mason, given current market conditions. They are allowing Mason a 100% profit margin.

Last edited by Fiorenza; Oct 31, 2008 at 3:23 AM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 10:54 AM

Georgia Constitutional Amendment 2, which authorizes school boards to participate in TADs, passed 52-48%. That should be a huge boost to the Beltline.

http://projects.ajc.com/election-res...al-amendments/

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 4:46 PM

^ i don't think all the votes are in. SOS site is more recent.

Though it does look like it will pass unless every outstanding ballot goes against it.

http://www.sos.georgia.gov/elections..._1104/swqa.htm

I'm really surprised it won since everyone i talked to at work said they voted against "that amendment that took money from schools".

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 6:04 PM
Urban Explorer

It looks like the third amendment (Creation of special Infrastructure Development Districts for underserved areas) didn't pass. Does this have implications for TADs in Atlanta, or is it something else?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
It looks like the third amendment (Creation of special Infrastructure Development Districts for underserved areas) didn't pass. Does this have implications for TADs in Atlanta, or is it something else?
#3 wasn't related to TAD's. The wording was rather vague even in the full text of the law but it seemed like it was giving private developers the opportunity to sell tax-free municipal-like bonds and leave the taxpayers on the hook if something were to go wrong. I probably am misinterpreting it but that was my impression.

I kept going back and forth on #1 but I'm glad #2 passed! Too bad the beltline couldn't have sold all of its bonds about 6 months ago instead of in this economic environment.

Last edited by trainiac; Nov 5, 2008 at 8:42 PM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 7:10 PM

I think the Beltline is a good idea, but I feel like people are overwhelming about it. Atlanta has so many newly developed properties, like condos and office buildings in town, and they are not fully utilized. If the Beltline gets redeveloped, it might not attract enough people to live and work along it. I think the issue is not there are not enough available for people, but it's that people (majority) don't have enough to buy up the market. TAD is a good idea, but if we leave a loophole, it may help bulge developers' pocket.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 10:28 PM
Urban Explorer

Apparently the Beltline is attracting national attention - today we talked about it in my Urban Economics class at Penn. Can't wait to see it happen.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 7:32 PM

Transit

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 9:51 PM

The rally today was great. Very good turnout, especially since the whole thing was planned within the last few days. There were representatives from BeltLine, Park Pride, Trees Atlanta, CFPT, PEDS, and the city. Hearing more about the situation really reinforced how absurd GDOT and AMTRAK's plans are. I don't think it's going to happen.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 10:14 PM
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunking1056 View Post
The rally today was great. Very good turnout, especially since the whole thing was planned within the last few days. There were representatives from BeltLine, Park Pride, Trees Atlanta, CFPT, PEDS, and the city. Hearing more about the situation really reinforced how absurd GDOT and AMTRAK's plans are. I don't think it's going to happen.
That's great to hear!
I was upset that I couldn't go, but invited over half of my facebook friends.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 11:47 PM

Me and my puppy were there. I think folks need to continue to promote the Beltline and let our state and federal reps know. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity for intown atlanta.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 4:38 PM

Woodham slips up

Boy, wish something like this had come out last summer

Quote:
Attorney John Woodham, who temporarily derailed the city’s Beltline project, says on the recording he’ll accept money to quit his challenge. “If your client would like to pay a sum equal to 1 percent of the bond issuance, that would be a resolution,” Woodham says.

He’s speaking in a conference call with developer Scott Leventhal, president and CEO of Tivoli Properties, and Leventhal’s lawyer, Patricia Roy. The Atlanta Development Authority wants to assist two Tivoli apartment projects; the developer will pay reduced taxes in the bond deals.

“I’m prepared to take the Atlanta Development Authority to the Georgia Supreme Court,” Woodham says in the call. “If you guys want to prevent that from happening, you have a way out, and I’ve just suggested it.
What a jackass

Full article

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 9:14 PM

If he is not disbarred, or at least suspended, I will be furious with the Georgia Bar's ability to self-regulate.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 3:08 PM

BeltLine Projects Underway February 2009

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 3:22 PM

i hope the NIMBY brigade in the NE area doesn't force a bunch on midrise junk along that side of Piedmont Park.

one thing that struck me about the Duany presentation was the part about the skyscrapers making Central Park what it is. basically, there's nothing compelling about a park without density surrounding it.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2009, 2:01 AM

How is the Beltline going to work? Will they build all the parks and trails first, and then start working on the transit part? When are we likely to see the first trains/trolleys running and where will they be?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta