HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 11:52 PM
my posse's on broadway

who is this person? can you link to the rest of their renderings and/or photos?

that's really amazing work!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 12:29 AM

the person behind NC3D got back to me. The information they used to create the renderings was from City of Sacramento and information they received from Thomas Enterprises. They also have a youtube with renderings!

http://www.youtube.com/user/NC3D

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 12:32 AM

Newlands & Company, Inc. is the company and they are working with the CHSRA to show people what HSR will look like in their city. http://www.flickr.com/photos/nc3d/ is their flickr site. www.nc3d.com is their website.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 12:36 AM

the first video I watched....well, I may have to clean up after that!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 12:51 AM
Resu Deretsiger

if you go to the website they got a huge resolution pic of down town. Totally desktop material....but I was thinking are all these towers in the pipeline? jesus!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 12:54 AM

I'm SO voting yes! I'm a little peeved about Sacramento not being in the first phase. But, I'm excited about what this represents for CA.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
if you go to the website they got a huge resolution pic of down town. Totally desktop material....but I was thinking are all these towers in the pipeline? jesus!
I can't find what you're talking about! Can you post a link?

edit: found it!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 12:59 AM

but...but..I..I can't see the Capital Dome in any of those renderings

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 1:04 AM

That was amazing. Thank for sharing the find...it was incredible!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 1:36 AM

Very nice

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 2:03 AM

That's pretty damn awesome...some day, some day.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 2:15 AM
Here we stAy

Damn those are slick. Thomas' plans for the railyards look amazing, as does the train station design w/ the double decker platforms.

Last edited by ltsmotorsport; Mar 8, 2008 at 2:25 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 6:00 AM

WOW!!! I think I'll be dead before sacramento ever looks like that. And whatever happened to the poor trees?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 7:39 AM
my posse's on broadway

Damn, that's some nice work. what's tripping me out the most is the accuracy
of all the proposals and renderings. The streetcars, the high speed trains, the
light rail, etc etc....

people may scoff at this type of stuff happening in our lifetimes, but consider
the suburban growth in the past decade - noone would've thought that could
happen so quickly. And the fact that it did only strengthens the regional
desire for greater urban density, opposed to perpetual sprawl. The urban
environment in Sacramento will grow exponentially by default.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 12:43 AM
Closed account

Sacramento Roads Among Worst In Nation
WASHINGTON (CBS13) ―

Bad roads are costing you hundreds of dollars each year and a report just released today says Sacramento is among the top ten worst in the nation.

TRIP, a national transportation research group, says 23% of the nation's road are in poor condition.

The wear and tear on cars caused by the roads is costing the average urban driver $413 extra each year to maintain their car.

Sacramento comes in number eight in the list of the cities with the worst road conditions with 46% of our interstates, freeways and other critical roads in bad shape.

Here are the top five cities:

1. Los Angeles
2. San Francisco
3. Honolulu
4. San Jose
5. San Diego

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 1:01 AM
my posse's on broadway

let me guess the rest of the list...

6. Oakland
7. Fresno
8. Sacramento
9. Long Beach
10. Bakersfield

???

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 3:17 AM
Hindrance to Development

Interesting bit from the Bee today...

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/778893.html
Quote:
Commuter buses' popularity puts Placer agency in mass-transit pickle
By Tony Bizjak - tbizjak@sacbee.com

Last Updated 6:16 am PDT Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Story appeared in MAIN NEWS section, Page A1

Seats are at a premium as a Placer Commuter Express bus takes on riders Tuesday at Ninth and P streets in downtown Sacramento. The service added a third bus in 2007 and has temporarily leased a fourth bus, although officials say they don't have the funds to expand beyond their 150-rider capacity. Bryan Patrick / bpatrick@sacbee.com
Click on photo to enlarge

No more riders, please!

It's not a message you'd expect to hear from a transit agency, but it's exactly what Placer Commuter Express bus officials are pleading.

With gas prices mounting and the economy slowing, commuters from Colfax, Auburn and other foothill communities have been filling bus seats so fast that operators this week said no more.

The little agency, which runs three leased buses on Interstate 80 to and from downtown Sacramento, announced it will sell tickets only to current riders.

Anyone else will have to go on a waiting list.

That's because of reports piling up in recent weeks that Placer's green and white buses have had to turn riders away, Placer County public works official Will Garner said.

"We need to control the amount of tickets we sell before it gets any worse," he said. "This came on rapidly."

The agency temporarily leased a fourth bus, which will follow the most popular morning and afternoon buses to pick up any riders left behind.

But agency officials say they don't have the money to expand service beyond their three-bus, 150 daily rider capacity.

News of Placer's predicament surprised other local transit officials. Many, however, said they also have seen ridership increase on their lines.

Capitol Corridor trains from Auburn to Sacramento are now about 75 percent full, and saw a notable bump in February, train operators report.

City of Roseville transit supervisors report their own commuter express buses have become so popular they've had to order a half-dozen more. Delivery isn't until next year.

Sacramento regional transportation planner Mike McKeever said he has even noticed more riders on the short-hop Regional Transit bus he takes between downtown and Curtis Park.

"I think people are recalibrating what is the smart economic choice for them," McKeever said.

Waiting at Fifth and P streets Tuesday evening for the Placer bus, state worker Gloria Henson of Roseville said she made that financial – and emotional – recalibration when she decided last year to stop driving to work. The state subsidizes about half of her monthly $125 bus pass.

"It's the gas," she said. "Plus, I was exhausted when I got home."

The Placer Commuter Express problem highlights an issue many transit agencies face: More people are interested in riding, but service remains skimpy, and the budget prognosis isn't great.

Despite an infusion of Proposition 1B transportation and transit funds, the state has cut other transit money, and local sales and property tax revenues are in a slump.

The region's biggest agency, Sacramento Regional Transit, cut bus service in January in an ongoing struggle to stay out of the red.

Placer officials say they never expected to find themselves with a surplus of riders. Truth is, they are pleased.

Until recently, Garner said, "transit services couldn't get enough riders."

Placer County started the I-80 commuter bus service in conjunction with several foothill cities in late 2004 amid doubts that people would ride.

The transit line was designed as a supplement to the Capitol Corridor train and Roseville commuter bus services.

Last year, the agency had to add a third bus in the morning and evening.

By last month, reports came in, Garner said: The first and second buses were leaving riders behind.

Garner said Placer officials now are talking about limiting ticket transfers from the Capitol Corridor and Roseville services.

Train and bus rider Joan Jernegan of Auburn, who left Los Angeles partly because she hated freeway car commutes, said this is a clear sign transit needs better funding.

"I was shocked," she said, by the agency's message: " 'We're out of space, and no fourth bus!' More people are taking public transit and there is no money for public transit."

Placer transit officials said they could ask the Board of Supervisors about funding a fourth bus, but that would require the county and cities to take a financial hit.

The service costs the county and participating cities $600,000 a year, Garner said. Rider fares cover 42 percent of that cost – a high return by transit standards – but the localities would have to dig up the rest of the money.

Placer riders, meanwhile, are left wondering not whether the bus will show, but whether there's a seat on it for them.

"Nobody's been left behind yet on our bus," Henson of Roseville said. "But we're getting a little nervous."
Of course, Placer County wasn't all that eager to chip in to connect RT Light Rail to Roseville back when gas was cheap, but they might end up changing their tune before long. Between high gas costs and frustrating commuter bottlenecks, a few more folks might decide that maybe there's something to all this public-transit jazz.

A few more Capitol Corridor type buses & trains making the run up from Sacramento to Roseville (or farther up to Colfax etcetera) wouldn't hurt either.

What we're seeing here is a return to something called interurban transport. It used to exist, in the form of electric interurban railroads and local commuter trains, but all but died off in much of the country. It's not quite the same as streetcars or buses, more focused on regional commuting. It died out because its utility was leapfrogged by the automobile--but perhaps things are changing again?

In any case, I never thought I'd read an article about how buses from Roseville are too full!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 9:00 AM
Here we stAy

It's changing because of the densities home builders are building suburban developements. The standard 20 years ago was about a 1/4 acre lot...now it's half or less than that. All those people squeezed into their new communties dependant on the car...something had to give sooner or later.

It's also funny to see that at least one Placer County agency is now starting to see the light. I doubt this little epiphany will have any influence on the pace of new tract home developements, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bigger push for LRT from Placer County in the next 5-10 years.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 5:59 PM
my posse's on broadway

Regional plan tries to drive fine line on cars, transit
By Tony Bizjak - tbizjak@sacbee.com
Published 12:00 am PDT Friday, March 21, 2008
Story appeared in METRO section, Page B4

After two years of debate, Sacramento has a new regional transportation spending plan, but no end to the disagreements over how many of us should still be driving cars in the coming years.

The $42 billion Metropolitan Transportation Plan was approved unanimously Thursday by representatives of six Sacramento-area counties and 22 cities, serving as the Sacramento Area Council of Governments board.

Proponents say the spending plan for the next 28 years strikes a balance between the often competing desires for more roads for cars, and for more transit and pedestrian-oriented development.

That is a dramatic reversal from past regional spending plans, which focused mainly on roads to move more cars, SACOG executive Mike McKeever said.

"We're turning the nose of the ship," McKeever said. "We're not all the way where we need to be, but we've significantly raised the bar."

Not nearly far enough, opponents contend.

Environmentalists argued the plan should be tied directly to city and county land-use policies; cities that approve sprawl growth shouldn't receive transportation funds to support that.

"It just hasn't gone far enough," said Alex Kelter of the Environmental Council of Sacramento.

The plan, which covers Sacramento, El Dorado, Placer, Yolo, Sutter and Yuba counties, will be revisited and updated in four years, as required by the federal government, officials said. Some projects could be dropped from the list and others added.

The current list includes commitments to fund light rail toward Sacramento International Airport and expand bus service throughout the region.

It earmarks funds for a plan to reintroduce streetcars downtown, connecting West Sacramento's redevelopment area with Sacramento over the Tower Bridge. The plan puts more emphasis on adding cycling and pedestrian areas on new streets.

It also addresses what some contend is a weak spot in the region's transportation grid – a lack of bridges. Two of them – one over the Sacramento River at Broadway, the other over the American River at Truxel Road in Natomas – are controversial and face lengthy public fights.

Notably, the plan does not include money for any river crossing between Watt Avenue and Sunrise Boulevard, where many battles of over potential bridges have been fought in the past.

Officials also voted to list a number of major road projects, including more freeway carpool lanes, an expressway between Roseville and Highway 99, and road widenings between Elk Grove and El Dorado Hills.

Other elements of the current plan include:

• A new transit center in the downtown railyard.

• At least 40 new or more frequent-express bus routes and 10 proposed bus rapid transit routes.

• Expansion of the Fifth Street Bridge connecting Yuba City and Marysville.

• Expansion of Hazel Avenue/Sierra College Boulevard to six lanes.

• Funds for pothole repair and other road maintenance.

• Technology to make traffic flow more smoothly.

• Funds for projects reducing sprawl.

• Investments in clean air programs such as ride sharing.

To view details of the plan go to www.sacog.org/mtp.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 1:09 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuhickman79 View Post
I'm SO voting yes! I'm a little peeved about Sacramento not being in the first phase. But, I'm excited about what this represents for CA.

Sacramento wont be in any phase......

The only regions that will benefit are Los Angeles the bay area, Merced, Fresno and Bakersfield; (maybe Stockton)

Representatives from ACE (Altamont Commuter Express) rencently made a public presentation to the Sacramento City Council and they're proposing to run trains a couple of times a day between Sacramento down to Stockton or Merced wherever High Speed Rail ends before branching to the bay area.

Or that's their proposal. That will be Sacramento's connection to High Speed Rail..

http://sacramento.granicus.com/Media...8&clip_id=1474
(the presentation was on 2/5/08 at about 3:00 p.m.)

I'll be returning to the Alamo City at the end of January 2025. I'm thrilled to be returning to the most beautiful city in Texas.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area