HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Feb 18, 2007, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
It is incredibly goofy looking. It's a good thing we Atlantans have thick skins, because I don't think it's going to be pretty when the rest of the world finds out about this.
To the contrary, I think many forumers have particularly thin skins. I doubt that the rest of the world will give much thought to this monument's location. Most will probably think "That's a beautiful structure!" and then move on to something else. Who knows -- the Arch might influence Atlantic Station's future development for the better. But since it's not my money funding it, I couldn't care less where it goes. All I know is that someone who was willing to plunk down $20,000,000 of his own money probably gave its location some thought.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2007, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketsWork View Post
To the contrary, I think many forumers have particularly thin skins. I doubt that the rest of the world will give much thought to this monument's location. Most will probably think "That's a beautiful structure!" and then move on to something else. Who knows -- the Arch might influence Atlantic Station's future development for the better. But since it's not my money funding it, I couldn't care less where it goes. All I know is that someone who was willing to plunk down $20,000,000 of his own money probably gave its location some thought.
They're seeking to raise a few million for the monument so you still have a chance to help fund it.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2007, 10:19 PM

MarketsWork, you are right. I take back my snotty comments. This thing may turn out to be awesome. The design itself is, well, monumental and I only meant to say it seemed like it was going in a rather unusual place.

And yes, if somebody is shelling out $20 million for a monument they have the right to put it any dang place they please.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2007, 10:32 PM

i kinda like it. we'll have to see how it looks when its actually built

Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
MarketsWork, you are right. I take back my snotty comments. This thing may turn out to be awesome. The design itself is, well, monumental and I only meant to say it seemed like it was going in a rather unusual place.

And yes, if somebody is shelling out $20 million for a monument they have the right to put it any dang place they please.
Well, Andrea -- after reading my own post again, my words sounded a little snotty, too! So I'd be honored if you'd raise your glass for a little Sunday evening "sinage" before we go back to work tomorrow...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketsWork View Post
Well, Andrea -- after reading my own post again, my words sounded a little snotty, too! So I'd be honored if you'd raise your glass for a little Sunday evening "sinage" before we go back to work tomorrow...
LOL! Consider it done, MarketsWork! That never takes too much prompting for me.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
......surrounded by a parking lot and knock-off bag kiosks....
This town could use a few more knock-off bag kiosks. I got my fake Prada there and nobody knows the difference. But I had to go all the way downtown and haggle with some guy at Woodruff Park. Why can't we have some of these at Lenox?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 3:35 AM
roma volo

i find atlantic station to be over-rated.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleystreetindustry View Post
Be patient -- it's not even half-built yet. These things take time, and time is on your side.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 6:22 AM
Spire-ite

I agree that a lot of this is preliminary. When it comes down to it, this is being built in a park (albeit a small one). I think if it looks successful, it could stand as a nice transition for the city. I would love one day to see each of the parks feature an archway or some other defining element. I could see a really nice one near Tavern or ont he hillside at Piedmont. A smaller, modern version at COP. Then interpretive versions elsewhere in the city. If this one works (as I think it will), it could just be the tip. I'll try to stay positive at this point.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 3:32 PM
Redi-Floors, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleystreetindustry View Post
These type of statements add nothing to the forum, and don't really stimulate any sort of debate. It's fine to find something over-rated, but at least offer a reason as to why.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3eblover View Post
i kinda like it. we'll have to see how it looks when its actually built
I kinda like how it looks too. It could turn out pretty well, and I hope it does.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 5:37 PM
Dutton Brown Design

Millenium Gate

(delete)

Last edited by GThomas; Feb 19, 2007 at 5:44 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 5:37 PM
Dutton Brown Design

Millenium Gate

A large portion of 17th street has been painted over with thick white diagonal lines heading east towards the site of the monument. I guess to direct traffic away from the closed lane near the site until it's finished. Large concrete barriers have been placed as well, turning the 3 lanes running by the park into 2.

Maybe I missed this, but is anyone aware of a timeline for the monument? Also isn't the focus of the monument Atlanta philanthropy or something? Or was that just a forum suggestion?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post

Say what you will about context, but the project itself is classy.
Incredibly classy looking design and if done/built well, will last a millenium or two.... way past the useful life of AS. But seeing it in AS is liking finding a diamond laying on a heap of dung.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 6:37 PM

I think its going to be very well done and I look forward to seeing it when its completed...and the rest of Atlantic Station as well.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 6:46 PM

Same here. I have heard that AS is not even 50% complete yet.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 4:50 AM
Apathetic...and Loving It

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThomas View Post
A large portion of 17th street has been painted over with thick white diagonal lines heading east towards the site of the monument. I guess to direct traffic away from the closed lane near the site until it's finished. Large concrete barriers have been placed as well, turning the 3 lanes running by the park into 2.
Actually, its only the westbound left lane on 17th that is blocked.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 4:52 AM
Apathetic...and Loving It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Same here. I have heard that AS is not even 50% complete yet.
Yep. Can't wait for them to fill in the other two holes and that bare northeast corner north of Dillard's and Pier 1.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 2:43 AM
roma volo

i think atlantic station will need some more time, alot more people, and a more open atmosphere in terms of shopping and things to do before it will "be there". right now, there has a lot of hype over nothing. but i agree, more time and it should age gracefully.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta