HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 2:19 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Just goes to show you that suicide and depression don't always follow "logical" anythings.

Really, these guys have it made by most standards - young, athletic, well paid, basically worshipped as gods in at least Canadian society. Women, money, fame, anything they want is theirs. And yet they find life not worth living.

That said, I've always wondered what it's like to be a pro athlete that isn't interested in women. The NHL has never had anyone "come out" and it must be one of the WORST places to be if you're in that situation. Not trying to imply anything about specific players here, but it made me realize that I'm a bit surprised suicide isn't more common. Surely SOME players are in the closet and struggling mightily even as we speak.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 7:05 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

3 NHL suicides in 2011 alone. Former Sharks forward Tom Cavanagh, Rick Rypien, and now Wade Belak. As I'm sure many of us are, I'm left wondering what could have been done to prevent this? Tom Cavanagh's case was a little different as he was a diagnosed and institutionalized schizophrenic, but both Rypien and Belak seemed to have a great deal going for them.

I'd include Derek Boogaard in the list, but I don't think his death was intentional nor an act of suicide. I think his passing was just an unfortunate sequence of events.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 2:35 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
I'd include Derek Boogaard in the list, but I don't think his death was intentional nor an act of suicide. I think his passing was just an unfortunate sequence of events.
Not that it makes his death any less tragic, but I agree. The media seems completely clueless and keeps labeling this as a "tragic accident". As if he just messed up his prescription or something.

I can't possibly be the only person aware of the fact that many 20-somethings use Oxycontin and booze recreationally. Also telling is that he got the pills from his brother - clear sign of "off label" use.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 2:48 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I can't possibly be the only person aware of the fact that many 20-somethings use Oxycontin and booze recreationally. Also telling is that he got the pills from his brother - clear sign of "off label" use.
Well, I think what happened in that situation is that his brother tried to prevent him from having the pills and finally just lost the will power to fight him on it and gave in. Having dealt with addicts, and having been one myself, that's just how I want to imagine the situation. Obviously, it could have been different, but it does make sense really. I don't think his brother should have been charged with possession or involuntary manslaughter or whatever he was charged with, losing his brother was punishment enough if he DID give him the pills intentionally. But that's just my opinion.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 3:05 PM

Looks like a pretty rough off season for Dustin Byfuglien:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...ure-with-jets/

Quote:
Dustin Byfuglien’s route to his new NHL home has hit potentially rough waters with his arrest in Minneapolis on suspicion of boating while impaired and refusing a sample

Perillo said Byfuglien’s life would become much more complicated if he was ultimately convicted. In Minnesota, he could face up to 90 days in jail, a $1,000 fine and a yearlong driving suspension. He would then have to apply in writing to the Canadian government for a temporary resident permit to enter the country. If granted, the order would expire after one year

Byfuglien could also face potential sanctions from the NHL. If he is charged, doctors from the NHL Players’ Association and the league would conduct an automatic assessment to determine whether he would be placed into the NHLPA’s Substance Abuse and Behavioural Health Program. The same would apply to any player who is charged with an offence .....

A side note for Jets fans: When he was booked, Byfuglien was weighed and he came in at 286 pounds. He played at approximately 245 pounds last year.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 8:33 PM
Registered User, Maybe

Wow, "Big Buff" indeed.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 11:53 PM
Go Chiefs!

Alex Kovalev might not like Ottawa but Montreal is still his second home even though he is not on the team anymore. His agent even called the Habs on July 1st but we were not interested.

He still holds his golf tournament for his foundation annually. Such a nice person.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 12:19 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
anyone starting up a yahoo league?
Yes, I'd like to do another one again this year.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 12:24 AM
So very tired...

i'd be in again as well...

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 1:03 AM

Sad to hear about Jabba the Buff, only cause he's a Jet, but hopefully he learns from this. This aint Atlanta where no one will take note...

anyway, not exactly NHL related, but I thought people might like to see some good news out of Quebec City:

en français
http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/infos/reg...pI6JbY.twitter

in english
http://m.lfpress.com/sports/hockey/2...36001-qmi.html

in summary, regarding arena - all good to go, funding is all ready, other than this guy who is in serious political beef against the mayor filing some injunction on Sept 6 which possibly could stall the whole thing (which the Prov Gov't wont allow but you never know), looks good... and plan is to open in 2015...sounds good to me!

....So how about them Coyotes?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 1:24 PM
Closed account

I could create the fantasy league if there was no one that wanted to run it, but if someone does want to run it be my guest.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 1:28 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Tom Servo mentioned to me yesterday that he'd be interested too.

I think we should figure out all the details first though. Do we want H2H again? What sort of scoring system? etc.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 4:17 PM
Closed account

I'd be for a H2H system again. What about a keeper league?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 4:45 PM

how many people does the site usually get for its fantasy league? i may be interested if its more than like 10 people

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 4:47 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I have no idea what a keeper league is.

Last year I think we had 10, but we could get more this year if we get things organized earlier.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 4:56 PM
Go Chiefs!

I'll also be interested in joining the league.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 5:13 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
I have no idea what a keeper league is.
Quote:
"Any fantasy hockey pool that "rolls over" into other years is called a "Keeper" or "Dynasty" league. The leagues can be run each year in any of the above formats with a winner declared at the end of each season. At the end of the year team managers decide which players they wish to protect (the number varies - from protecting and keeping all players, to keeping as few as three or four players). Before the NHL season opener, a fantasy draft is held to fill out the rest of the roster.

Many keeper leagues, as well as some single season leagues, have adopted salary cap rules similar to the NHL. In a "Salary Cap League", a salary is assigned to each player before the manager selects his team. Salaries are usually determined by the NHL player's real salary. Otherwise a number value is assigned - usually by an online hockey pool program. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy...Keeper_Leagues

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 5:15 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Okay, that makes sense, and could be a decent idea if this is going to continue to be a yearly thing for us. I'd say 4 or 5 might be too many, but 3 would be alright I think.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 5:18 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
Okay, that makes sense, and could be a decent idea if this is going to continue to be a yearly thing for us. I'd say 4 or 5 might be too many, but 3 would be alright I think.
Yeah, that is what I was thinking too. Since this is like the 3rd/4th season for us, why not just make a keeper league? Inside the keeper league, you can choose what kind of point system you want and good stuff like that.

Any other thoughts?

Last edited by Flamesrule; Sep 4, 2011 at 5:33 PM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 5:33 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada