HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 2:43 PM

^ Only difficulty now is that the Bombers could be a distant 3rd behind competently run organizations in BC and Montreal 'cause it looks like Tedford might get the ax. If you're a sought after coach who knows the 3-down game well, those are both better organizations and better cities.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 7:56 PM

As much as it pains me to say it I think the Riders will slot ahead of the Bombers, along with Montreal and maybe BC in offers going out to potential coaches. The Winnipeg organization really doesn't have the supports in place with the Riders or the deep pockets of private owners.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 8:11 AM
GQMF

One question. How does one change their username?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 5:05 PM

Welcome Riderfans...

updatednews.ca

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 7:20 PM

Before the news, a little fun with speculation: Can anybody see Muamba opting to land here long term with offers from Hamilton and Toronto on the table? For one, both offer starting positions in the Mac linebacker spot, and both have solid long-term options at the quarterback spot. Hamilton has a brand new stadium and a rabid fanbase, and Toronto has Toronto.

Difficult to see anybody opting back into a situation where the coaching carousel is seemingly back at full speed, the team is its typical disaster, and the fans are becoming more and more alienated with everything.

Interested in commentary to the contrary...

Old Posted Sep 13, 2015, 7:22 PM

^ I've heard a lot of assumptions that Muamba is just going to come back to Winnipeg, but as a FA he is an appealing proposition for every team...a young, legit NI MLB. I don't see why other teams that have money to spend wouldn't go all out to land him. He has been open about enjoying his time in Winnipeg but that doesn't automatically bring him back here, especially considering what a basketcase the team is this year.

On a happier note, what a great time last night. Sure it was a sloppy mess between the two worst teams in the league, but hey, the pass rush looked great this week (good to have Turner back), Nichols was 1000% more competent than Marve or Brohm, and the weather/atmosphere were great. A very enjoyable evening... it was enough to make you overlook the absence of a run or return game.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2015, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
On a happier note, what a great time last night. Sure it was a sloppy mess between the two worst teams in the league, but hey, the pass rush looked great this week (good to have Turner back), Nichols was 1000% more competent than Marve or Brohm, and the weather/atmosphere were great. A very enjoyable evening... it was enough to make you overlook the absence of a run or return game.
The weather last night was incredible! The game was whatever. If Brett Smith can accurately spot even half of his brutal passes, we get a much better game. But dear god do the Bombers look bad in the red zone. I didn't see anything from them that was 'improved' except that they didn't lose the game to penalties.

But a great night. Perfect for football.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 3:53 AM

Hopefully that nice finish to the game and win give Muamba some good feelings toward coming back to the peg

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Hopefully that nice finish to the game and win give Muamba some good feelings toward coming back to the peg
Apparently he's visited with nearly every team so far except Winnipeg. That probably bodes well. If I'm negotiating, I'd have every available offer in hand before going in and telling them I'm happy to come back, but I want top dollar.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It would be a nice addition, expecting to land on a team willing to give him a 6 figure signing bonus,wow, 200,000+ annual salary + a long term contract..we have the cap space I believe?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 4:42 PM

It would not surprise me if Muamba wants a contract allowing him to go to NFL after this season. Also the salary, talked of as being $200,000+ would be pro-rated in terms of the cap hit as the price being talked about is the full season value.

In terms of the Bomber season, I read elsewhere today that if they win this week against Montreal and Thanksgiving weekend in BC they will be will positioned to claim the third playoff spot in the west. If they could pickup one more win over their other remaining games, such as the game against Ottawa, that would even be better.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 8:32 PM

Damn, what a friggin bi polar team today against the Als, It was hard to watch this one.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 11:42 PM

^ More or less the usual formula of decent defence, mediocre offense and bad special teams. Except that offense was worse than usual and special teams were an unmitigated disaster...no way that the defence could overcome that for the win. Strangely high amount of dropped balls too.

Our playoff hopes are starting to fade away pretty quickly now.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
It would not surprise me if Muamba wants a contract allowing him to go to NFL after this season. Also the salary, talked of as being $200,000+ would be pro-rated in terms of the cap hit as the price being talked about is the full season value.

In terms of the Bomber season, I read elsewhere today that if they win this week against Montreal and Thanksgiving weekend in BC they will be will positioned to claim the third playoff spot in the west. If they could pickup one more win over their other remaining games, such as the game against Ottawa, that would even be better.
Quote:
^ More or less the usual formula of decent defence, mediocre offense and bad special teams. Except that offense was worse than usual and special teams were an unmitigated disaster...no way that the defence could overcome that for the win. Strangely high amount of dropped balls too.

Our playoff hopes are starting to fade away pretty quickly now.
That game could be the one that makes the difference if we make playoffs right now. With the BC loss a win for us against MTL was huge because it's very likely now they will cross over to the west playoffs. If we won it would have made that much more challenging.

If MTL does cross over (very likely now that Crompton is back), it will be the first time EVER the east team has crossed over. It's crazy this is probably the first time in 20 years the east is better than the west, and it all happened in one off season, with a team 1 year out from expansion!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 5:16 PM

With the Bombers pretty much out of the playoff running and 1/3 of the Grey Cup seats still unsold, I think it's likely that we're headed for the worst Grey Cup box office train wreck since Hamilton crapped the bed in 1996.

The CFL may want to rethink its exorbitant ticket price model for the Grey Cup... Winnipeg is a good football city but at $200 to $500 a pop, it's not surprising that most people opt to stay home to watch and keep the $ in their pockets.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 6:07 PM

Quote:
With the Bombers pretty much out of the playoff running and 1/3 of the Grey Cup seats still unsold, I think it's likely that we're headed for the worst Grey Cup box office train wreck since Hamilton crapped the bed in 1996.

The CFL may want to rethink its exorbitant ticket price model for the Grey Cup... Winnipeg is a good football city but at $200 to $500 a pop, it's not surprising that most people opt to stay home to watch and keep the $ in their pockets.
Gonna be a tough sell. I can only imagine what sort of night will be had by those in the supplemental seats if there's a nice north wind blowing in all evening.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 6:17 PM

^ This whole season has been a massive disappointment right from the get-go. A shoddy team means lacklustre fan interest, which is going to mean a letdown of a Grey Cup (hopefully at least the game will be good). And the kicker is that it takes so little to please the fans here... I mean, the city was in the throes of ecstasy this past spring just for qualifying for the Stanley Cup playoffs...

And now it's almost time to press the reset button as Kyle Walters prepares to pull the rip cord on his parachute, and O'Shea's days are most likely numbered too. I hate to be so negative, but being a Bomber fan just isn't easy.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 6:30 PM

Quote:
^ This whole season has been a massive disappointment right from the get-go. A shoddy team means lacklustre fan interest, which is going to mean a letdown of a Grey Cup (hopefully at least the game will be good). And the kicker is that it takes so little to please the fans here... I mean, the city was in the throes of ecstasy this past spring just for qualifying for the Stanley Cup playoffs...

And now it's almost time to press the reset button as Kyle Walters prepares to pull the rip cord on his parachute, and O'Shea's days are most likely numbered too. I hate to be so negative, but being a Bomber fan just isn't easy.
Be thankful a guy like Richie Hall is at least involved. I think the Bombers should talk to Taman and get this thing back in the hands of a competent CFL professional at the top. It's not going to be easy, but the defense is on the right path and Willy is a proper CFL starter if healthy. Commit to a line combination and let them work it out. Find a decent blocking back with some hands, and stretch the field. None of these things are that difficult. But for whatever reason, they're impossible here. The lack of depth is just unconscionable for a team that has brought in this many different guys over the years.

A guy like Taman is well-connected and knows the game. Put aside the differences and make him a generous offer than allows him to choose his coaching staff over the winter. Barring the state of the Riders at the moment and that most of their defense is too old with Chamblin preferring the vets to the young guys, look at the talent that Taman consistently stocked that team with over the years.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 6:44 PM

^ Yeah, Taman is a proven GM. He got screwed by the Riders... I'm sure we haven't seen the last of him, much like when Eric Tillman got fired in Sask and then bounced back. I wonder if the Bombers are gently encouraging Walters to take the AD job in Guelph to set the stage for Taman's comeback?

I take your point that the D and QB are OK and the offence just needs some tweaking, but in fairness you could have said the same three years ago when it was Pierce starting. Nothing has changed in the meantime, except for the running game and special teams getting worse. The offence needs new everything beginning with a new OC.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 6:52 PM

Quote:

....three years ago when it was Pierce starting. Nothing has changed in the meantime, except for the running game and special teams getting worse. The offence needs new everything beginning with a new OC.
This sounds liike an accurate assesment..

..as for the GC game..an unmitigated disaster for the city and organization, it would be next to impossible to spin it in a positive way, well (maybe it'll be a good game)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan