HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Looks good to me. Though it's a bit unclear how it will fit into the current VAG site plan - if it's being built directly beside the old building or something I could see how that would be a bit overbearing in an unattractive way.
It's being built on a site several blocks east of the current art gallery.

I still don't know what to think about it. On one hand I think it absolutely belongs in this thread, on the other I think it's incredibly unique and that I may love it. I've never been so torn on a building before.

Here are a few more renders of the new scheme for everyone to mull over:

All sourced from here: https://urbanyvr.com/updated-design-...sign-standards

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 2:58 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I don't necessarily hate the design but I dislike the trend of designing impractical art gallery buildings. I think there should be more focus on providing good space inside the building and supporting artistic communities rather than trying to do Bilbao #729. Rather than innovating by providing more and better space at a lower cost, architects tend to mostly want to design attention-grabbing sculptures. Maybe they should hire another architect to design the real art gallery then hang these renderings up inside of it?

Maybe if we allowed more ornamentation on buildings that would keep architects happy and they wouldn't have to contort them so much?

This building looks annoying to get around in. I guess the second floor is suspended 40 feet in the air? There will be a lot of escalator and elevator riding taking the place of art viewing. The renderings don't really sell the building as an art gallery either. If not for the "Vancouver Art Gallery" sign you could imagine it being just about any kind of building. And for that matter you could imagine it being built just about anywhere too.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 3:15 AM

I don`t like the design at all, looks like a computer science building. The VAG is a pretty lousy art gallery so I would far prefer them spend the money on acquisitions.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 3:57 AM
The Vomit Bag.

maybe the VAG should invest in some INA.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 4:02 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Downtown Hull got hit really hard with the ugly stick. A face that only a mother could love. What is it with government of Canada buildings from the 70s-80s? they all look like total crap. See also Complex Guy Favreau in Montreal.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 4:58 AM
Fake News

Speaking of ugly Ottawa / Hull what is this monstrosity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
RE: OTTAWA PROPOSAL
https://i.imgur.com/vcezlNx.jpg
This has got to be some kind of bad joke ?
It amazes me stuff like this can make it this far along. When you think how many people are involved in a project like this and it still gets released looking like this.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 9:04 AM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Downtown Hull got hit really hard with the ugly stick. A face that only a mother could love. What is it with government of Canada buildings from the 70s-80s? they all look like total crap. See also Complex Guy Favreau in Montreal.
I think they are sort of like the 'million projects' of Sweden: utilitarian buildings constructed in a moment of social democratic optimism. Once that moment passes, all you have are old, utilitarian buildings, and you wonder how they got there.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
What is this atrocity. It looks like a giant brick with windows. And I feel sad for the pedestrians.
https://imtl.org/image/big/DSCN3134.jpg

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 12:39 PM

I always found SNC Lavalin headquarters to look clunky and oafish.
https://imtl.org/image/big/SNC_LAVALIN.jpg

Seriously what is with that pattern and that stupid colour.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i..._e46Ntf6VqjHZD

Why is the middle all windows while the sides are just your normal corporate office cube architecture? Why does the top form into a windowless crown making the building look like a penis? (maybe it should meet the VAG). All questions I have about SNC Lavalin Headquarters.
http://photos.wikimapia.org/p/00/01/96/67/93_big.jpg

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 2:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford1 View Post
What is this atrocity. It looks like a giant brick with windows. And I feel sad for the pedestrians.
https://imtl.org/image/big/DSCN3134.jpg
yeah that is the barf otherwise known as Complex Guy Favreau, in Montreal

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 3:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I have always hated the brutalist monstrosity of the Shaw Complex in downtown Charlottetown PE. This is the main civil service office complex in the capital. It was built when I was a child growing up there back in the 1960s, and it always seemed so out of keeping with the general architectural style of the city (or at least of the west end neighbourhood where it is located).

For some reason I actually like the equally brutalist Confederation Centre of the Arts, also in downtown Charlottetown.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 3:42 PM
Fake News

This has always been one of the ugliest buildings I remember from childhood to the present. The business tower of Southcentre mall.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 3:50 PM
Fake News

Speaking of Southcentre mall here is the flagship SEARS that now has a Showhome furniture store hawking overpriced used furniture on the first floor. The top two floors sit empty and cut off from the rest of the mall. Having worked there I know all the corners of that building and the thought of two thirds of it sitting empty is kinda creepy.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I have always hated the brutalist monstrosity of the Shaw Complex in downtown Charlottetown PE. This is the main civil service office complex in the capital. It was built when I was a child growing up there back in the 1960s, and it always seemed so out of keeping with the general architectural style of the city (or at least of the west end neighbourhood where it is located).

For some reason I actually like the equally brutalist Confederation Centre of the Arts, also in downtown Charlottetown.

I hate both

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 6:21 PM
The Vomit Bag.

ctv

financial post

rdnewsnow

cbc

aol

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 6:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford1 View Post
I hate both
The difference is that at least the Confederation Centre has quality sandstone panelling for the exterior cladding. The Shaw Complex on the other hand has no cladding whatsoever, with only raw concrete visible along the entire exterior surface of the building.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 6:53 PM
Fake News

Quote:

aol
The worst Sears of them all!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
This has always been one of the ugliest buildings I remember from childhood to the present. The business tower of Southcentre mall.

Good god that’s rancid.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 11:19 PM

So this may be a controversial choice, but I always hated the Saddledome. It always just looked stupid and gimmicky, and yet utilitarian and cold to me.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/resi...3KQA3BZIDHHDIE

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 1:06 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The difference is that at least the Confederation Centre has quality sandstone panelling for the exterior cladding. The Shaw Complex on the other hand has no cladding whatsoever, with only raw concrete visible along the entire exterior surface of the building.
That's kind of the point of brutalism. It's to show off the natural beauty of the materials, and the purity of form.

They're both pretty high quality examples of brutalism, which is becoming a rare architectural style as dozens of brutalist buildings are being demolished every month. We're really treating the style the same way we treated Victorian buildings in the 1950s.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada