HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
Surprised that United wasn't getting more passengers from Saskatoon, at least last year. I am one of those from YQR who flew to Chicago last summer, had a great time. Visited St. Louis also.
The flights are usually very full. Ditto the flights to Denver.

If Saskatoon isn't sending many passengers on the route (perhaps they prefer the bigger jets on Delta?) then I guess continuing the route this way makes sense, but I think Regina could easily support its own CRJ-200 to Chicago without the extra hop to Saskatoon.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 2:41 AM
working stiff

Yxe expansion

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 4:27 AM
ConstructionPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
The flights are usually very full. Ditto the flights to Denver.

If Saskatoon isn't sending many passengers on the route (perhaps they prefer the bigger jets on Delta?) then I guess continuing the route this way makes sense, but I think Regina could easily support its own CRJ-200 to Chicago without the extra hop to Saskatoon.
I feel Saskatoon and Regina need to begin diversifying flights between the two airports. It would give each airport a flight destination advantage over one another and create a more competitive market. For example, Chicago is not a popular route out of Saskatoon; comparatively it appears as though that destination is popular out of Regina. Maybe Saskatoon should drop that flight and ask United to replace it with a Los Angelos flight which would by far outsell a Chicago flight from Saskatoon.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post

Thanks Ruckus.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 2:16 PM

Nice pics Ruckus, expansion coming along nicely. Can't wait for the snow to be replaced by weeds.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 3:43 PM

Great pictures, Ruckus.

Does anyone know where online I can find the renderings, interior views, and the "walk through" video of the new terminal? They used to be on www.yxe.ca, but I can't find them since the website's revamp.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 6:03 PM

Echoes try this link then go to top tab that says About YXE

http://yxe.ca/cam.php

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 9:01 PM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Nice pics Ruckus, expansion coming along nicely. Can't wait for the snow to be replaced by weeds.
It's been a loooong winter. Hopefully this is the final blast. So looking forward to construction season and a hot summer

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin_10 View Post
I feel Saskatoon and Regina need to begin diversifying flights between the two airports. It would give each airport a flight destination advantage over one another and create a more competitive market. For example, Chicago is not a popular route out of Saskatoon; comparatively it appears as though that destination is popular out of Regina. Maybe Saskatoon should drop that flight and ask United to replace it with a Los Angelos flight which would by far outsell a Chicago flight from Saskatoon.
I have no expertise in this area, but I wonder if it would become harder to attract international carriers like Delta and United if they weren't able to pick up passengers in both cities? Would there be enough demand to sustain separate routes? It's been reported in the news that YQR and YXE are also working together to attract European flights, which makes sense to me. Separately we are tiny markets, but combined we can tell these carriers they have access to a 1 million potential passengers.

Just my 2 pennies (rounded up to a nickel)...

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 3:03 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidson View Post
I have no expertise in this area, but I wonder if it would become harder to attract international carriers like Delta and United if they weren't able to pick up passengers in both cities? Would there be enough demand to sustain separate routes? It's been reported in the news that YQR and YXE are also working together to attract European flights, which makes sense to me. Separately we are tiny markets, but combined we can tell these carriers they have access to a 1 million potential passengers.

I think working together is definitely a eeally good short to medium-term option. Eventually the markets will grow enough to not need as close co-operation as exists at present. But as it stands, I'd rather sit on the tarmac for 45 mins, pick up more passengers and carry-on than deplane, have a 2 hour layover in Calgary, board another flight, and then be on my way. We can also start to at least get both airports names out there to the larger carriers so that they are aware of us as we grow.

It worked pretty well for a trip to Mexico I went on not too long ago.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I think working together is definitely a eeally good short to medium-term option. Eventually the markets will grow enough to not need as close co-operation as exists at present. But as it stands, I'd rather sit on the tarmac for 45 mins, pick up more passengers and carry-on than deplane, have a 2 hour layover in Calgary, board another flight, and then be on my way. We can also start to at least get both airports names out there to the larger carriers so that they are aware of us as we grow.

It worked pretty well for a trip to Mexico I went on not too long ago.
We are not going to get a scheduled operator (e.g. Air Canada, British Airways etc.) serving Europe from either airport for many years. Those airlines want to go into a market where they can scale up to daily service and that is not going to happen.

What we are more likely to get is a charter operator, like AirTransat or one of the European charter airlines doing a weekly flight. They do these little tag-on flights already. It is not uncommon to have an Air Transat flight from Vancouver, stop in Calgary or Edmonton and then continue over to Europe. The next year it may be two weekly flights and so on. The Air Transat A310 that come into Saskatoon and Regina have the range to reach Europe non-stop from Saskatchewan.

Air Canada has a new subsidiary called Rogue that also plays in that vacation market and is planned to expand and inherit may of Air Canada’s older widebody 767 plans when Air Canada proper starts to bring in new 787 aircraft.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidson View Post

Right now, both YXE and YQR have 2 daily direct flights to Denver and Minneapolis. They only share the Chicago route together. In my experience from booking flights to the States, the Chicago flight options are usually more expensive, so I think that one is more geared toward the business traveler.

Casper is right in that if they do attract, and I think that's a big if, flights to Eurpoe, it will be charter operators like Air Transat, or Thomas Cook stepping in, not Air Canada, Delta or United.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
Right now, both YXE and YQR have 2 daily direct flights to Denver and Minneapolis. They only share the Chicago route together. In my experience from booking flights to the States, the Chicago flight options are usually more expensive, so I think that one is more geared toward the business traveler.

Casper is right in that if they do attract, and I think that's a big if, flights to Eurpoe, it will be charter operators like Air Transat, or Thomas Cook stepping in, not Air Canada, Delta or United.
I am starting to hear about people going through Las Vegas connecting onto American or Delta from there. WestJet having thouse interline agreements is starting to pay off for improved connections out of Saskatoon. That said, I have no idea how many of the Las Vegas passangers are local tourists heading down to Vegas or how many are making connections from there.

Is the WestJet Phoenix flight just once a week? That would have a lot of potential after the US and American airlines merger, since it is currently a hub for US.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I am starting to hear about people going through Las Vegas connecting onto American or Delta from there. WestJet having thouse interline agreements is starting to pay off for improved connections out of Saskatoon. That said, I have no idea how many of the Las Vegas passangers are local tourists heading down to Vegas or how many are making connections from there.

Is the WestJet Phoenix flight just once a week? That would have a lot of potential after the US and American airlines merger, since it is currently a hub for US.
I'm not sure for YXE, but both Phoenix and Las Vegas are 3 times a week out of YQR. The Phoenix flights will be ending soon, and the Vegas flights go down to 2 times a week until the end of May. They both go on hiatus until the fall after that.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 11:20 PM
ConstructionPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
I'm not sure for YXE, but both Phoenix and Las Vegas are 3 times a week out of YQR. The Phoenix flights will be ending soon, and the Vegas flights go down to 2 times a week until the end of May. They both go on hiatus until the fall after that.
Yxe x2 phx, Yxe x3 las

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I am starting to hear about people going through Las Vegas connecting onto American or Delta from there. WestJet having those interline agreements is starting to pay off for improved connections out of Saskatoon.
The Westjet interlining with KLM is letting us take a trip to Turkey next month via YYZ and AMS - still 2 connections but it allowed us to take advantage of a really good seat sale!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 7:08 PM

YXE gets daily service to ORD starting late August with United

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk View Post
I think you mean to say they get their own non-stop dirct to ORD. They already have daily service to ORD via YQR. (Same plane service)

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 10:48 PM
ConstructionPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk View Post
Do you have a link or news release for this announcement?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin_10 View Post
Do you have a link or news release for this announcement?
If you do a search on united.com for a YXE->ORD flight in September it shows up as a non-stop using the Embrear ERJ 145 (50 seat) aircraft non-stop.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan