HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I am really bummed about the solar panels, campus had only been improving over the last several years but these new structures look horrible.

They look extremely industrial and I don't like them at all, it was a bad decision by the school and I predict they will spend a lot of money to take them down or replace them with more attractive designs in a few years.

It makes ASU look cheap not collegiate at all.
Okay, at least I'm not the only one. As I mentioned, the lot 59 ones look great with the sports-themed posters. Everything else looks terrible.

The Gammage ones are a complete shame. As you drive in from the south, the tops of the metal cut off views of all the buildings, and yes - the grass has been completely torn up, not just the trees.

They should have stuck to installing the panels on top of garages and parking lots. If they were going to do it by Gammage, wish they'd done it on the parking lot to the east and done something like lot 59 with vines/flowers and posters of theatrical performances to make them look a little less harsh.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 1:50 AM

aww man! lush lawn and flower beds have been uprooted in a desert in favor of solar panels. I think I'm going to cry.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
If they were going to do it by Gammage, wish they'd done it on the parking lot to the east and done something like lot 59 with vines/flowers and posters of theatrical performances to make them look a little less harsh.
Well posters of Gammage's performances and landscaping (grass) was illustrated in the renderings... It took a while for them to install Lot 59's Athletics/University posters and vines/flowers. Plus I do recall that they relocated the palms by Lot 59 so why not fuss about that as well? As mentioned both Orange/Cady and Gammage will be fully completed by November.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
Well posters of Gammage's performances and landscaping (grass) was illustrated in the renderings... It took a while for them to install Lot 59's Athletics/University posters and vines/flowers. Plus I do recall that they relocated the palms by Lot 59 so why not fuss about that as well? As mentioned both Orange/Cady and Gammage will be fully completed by November.
Why not fuss? Lot59 is a back parking lot meant for overflow during the school day and sporting events. Not main parkways around a performing arts center, or literally the center of campus.

That rendering looks much nicer than the real thing, because it is a rendering. It is a real shame and I hope they take these things down once solar losses it's "sexy" current appeal.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 2:20 PM

I understand the importance of these strcutures toward promoting a sustainable campus. I just think some of the choices for where they are located are unfortunate, that's all.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 10:34 PM

Took a photo of University House (aka the Hub) at the game on Thursday night,

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 11:17 PM

Does anyone know what is in the left (eastern) retail spot of University House that has the big crowd in front of it in the above picture? I couldn't tell when I went to the game last week, but it was crowded both times I walked by. It didn't look like a bar.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 12:11 AM

Elevator bank

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 12:19 AM

Arizona's First Steak 'n Shake Coming to Tempe's Mill Avenue

Quote:
Steak 'n Shake, the diner-style restaurant chain located primarily in the Midwest and South and known for its Original Steakburger and hand-dipped milkshakes, is making its first foray into Arizona -- by way of Tempe's Mill Avenue.

Founded in Illinois in 1934 by Gus Belt, Steak 'n Shake will open its Tempe location at 699 South Mill Avenue (on the northeast corner of Mill and Seventh Street in the front of the former Borders) in the next few months.

Beloved by the late movie critic Roger Ebert, who said, "If I were on Death Row, my last meal would be from Steak 'n Shake," the restaurant chain has nearly 500 franchised and company-owned locations in 22 states.
Humble Pie group to open Sol Diablo Cantina Kitchen in Tempe next month

Quote:
The Humble Pie family of restaurants is unveiling a new concept – Sol Diablo Cantina Kitchen – next month on the southwest corner of College Avenue and Fifth Street (across the street from Sun Devil Stadium) in Tempe.

The Mexican-inspired cantina will be the fifth occupant of the 4,800-square-foot space in six years, following in the footsteps of Fumbles, Dirty Devil, College Dropout, and Boss Hoggs.

The Humble Pie group, which opened Boss Hoggs in September 2012, is adding a 1,500-square-foot sidewalk patio and plans to offer live entertainment.

Other concepts in the Humble Pie family include The Living Room, The Sushi Room, and Chop Steakhouse.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 4:36 AM

Construction just started on the Liberty Center commercial project at the NW corner of Priest and Rio Salado.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 8:22 PM

The Changing Identity Of Mill Avenue

Quote:
The Hayden Flour Mill in Tempe has been through a lot including multiple fires, one in 1895 and another in 1917. The current incarnation came into being in 1918 and continued operating as a working mill for 80 years. Beginning Saturday, the historic site will become an art gallery of sorts with two new pieces of sculpture.

Tempe’s centerpiece of downtown, Mill Avenue, was not surprisingly named for the flour mill, and it, like its namesake, has gone through multiple metamorphoses.

Mary Ann Miller is the president and CEO of the Tempe Chamber of Commerce.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 4:41 AM

New vertical bike racks west of Hayden. (photo source)

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 9:20 PM

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 10:24 PM

They tore down that abandoned building on Rural and Terrace this morning.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 11:24 PM

Upgrading Tempe Town Lake West Dam

The Tempe City Council voted 7-0 Thursday night in favor of a $12.4 million upgrade for the Tempe Town Lake dam.

The current rubber dam burst back in 2010, emptying the lake.
City leaders fixed the problem, but say a steel dam would offer a more permanent solution.

Assistant City Manager Jeff Kulaga says, “It makes sense for our climate. We believe it's for safety, and reliability and meeting the flood water needs and durability; the steel gate with the hydraulic pistons is the right choice for our needs and conditions."

The city says it will be the largest steel dam in the country. Construction should start in the Spring and finish by the end of 2015. If it’s not done by then, the rubber dam, which is on loan, would cost the city $300,000 a month just to rent.

The $12.4 million contract would just fund the steel gates. The next step would be to approve another contract around $22 million for a company to fully build the dam.

The city says it has $4 million dollars on hand as part of the Capital Improvement Plan, and bond money that voters approved a couple years ago. City leaders hope future revenue would come from land sales or leases, however, asking taxpayers for more money could be an option.

Source

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 1:42 AM

Rendering of the new Tempe Town Lake steel dam. (credit)

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito714 View Post
They tore down that abandoned building on Rural and Terrace this morning.
Great news, big time eyesore.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 5:11 AM

If that's the VPAC pedestrian bridge in the background then they are going to build the new structure down river separate from the existing one?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 5:30 AM

Dam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusloop99 View Post
If that's the VPAC pedestrian bridge in the background then they are going to build the new structure down river separate from the existing one?
Seems that only makes sense unless they want to drain the lake.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 9:26 PM

Bad news....it appears the next Development Review Commission meeting will look at a proposal for Southbank....2 buildings at 4 stories each...such a waste.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest