HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 8:19 PM

It was at 10:30... Hardly the middle of the night. But I respect your opinion.

I have zero problem with it. My phone buzzed funny, I looked at it, and put it back down. That was it.

I'd prefer to receive messages from Ontario, than not receive any messages at all.

People online the social media are enraged.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

If this keeps up I'm going to start shutting my phone off at night and dig up my old alarm clock somewhere in the basement.
There you go.

Or dont sleep with your phone, it's not healthy anyhow, or at the very least put it on DND or air plane mode.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 8:21 PM

^ I didn't realize it was 10:30. That is more excusable but a lot of people are in bed asleep at that hour.

Let's face it, the odds are astronomical that anyone in Manitoba will find a missing child from Alberta overnight. There is really no practical reason it couldn't wait until, say, 8 am. Annoying people with irrelevant messages just sours people on the system.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
There you go.

Or dont sleep with your phone, it's not healthy anyhow, or at the very least put it on DND or air plane mode.
Don't the Amber Alerts come through even if you put it on silent or do not disturb?

I only have my phone on overnight because I use it as my alarm clock.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 8:24 PM

All of the emergency alerts I have received while phone was on vibrate. None of them made sound. It was just a unique vibration, different than my phone is set to.

It's people who constantly have their phone on maximum volume that get shocked.

Maybe I'm in the minority on this, I don't know. I get we won't be able to do anything about it. Where does the line get drawn. What if it was in Kenora? It's another province, so how do you determine who gets the notices? Area code maybe?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 8:29 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but Amber Alerts in the dead of night are asinine when they're from another province. I didn't get this most recent message but I would have been annoyed if I had.

If you insist on sending a message at 3 am, the missing kid better be from Manitoba. Otherwise, where do you stop? Do we start getting alerts from New Brunswick, Alabama, Bolivia, Cote d'Ivoire any time of the day or night just on the basis that we can never be too cautious? The idea that you have to welcome totally irrelevant-to-you messages that wake you up when you're sleeping or you hate children is nuts.

If this keeps up I'm going to start shutting my phone off at night and dig up my old alarm clock somewhere in the basement.
How is that asinine? Yeah cote d'Ivore is the same as Ontario. Now that is asinine. It's a province away. Someone could be abducted from Ontario and be in Manitoba in a matter of minutes.

I got the alert. It awoke me. I went back to sleep. I quite frankly don't understand the outrage of people. Not everyone sleeps at night. There could be someone out there that would help (in this instance the perp was caught because of the alert). A child's life is at stake. This child was murdered.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Don't the Amber Alerts come through even if you put it on silent or do not disturb?

I only have my phone on overnight because I use it as my alarm clock.
Im not 100% sure, ive never actually received one, i've also never received the emergency tests either.

They are however saying the alert was sent to MB phones in error and they are looking into the issue.

Manitobans wrongly sent Ontario Amber Alert, province ‘exploring’ the issue
https://globalnews.ca/news/4965609/m...r-alert-issue/

Instagram

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
How is that asinine? Yeah cote d'Ivore is the same as Ontario. Now that is asinine. It's a province away. Someone could be abducted from Ontario and be in Manitoba in a matter of minutes.
This is where a little judgment comes into play. Abducted at midnight in Kenora and heading west? By all means, fire away. Abducted at midnight in Brampton with no indication that they're coming to Manitoba? Maybe wait until 8 am.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
That's exactly it, late last year when that young disable girl was abducted in her mothers stolen vehicle in North Battleford SK they issued the amber alert to MB as the vehicle could have made it to the provincial border by the time the alert went out. Hours later they found the girl in the abandoned vehicle not from town.

Instagram

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 9:00 PM

I guess my point was, one time we got an alert which may not have been useful. It's not that big of a deal to me. We got the alert at least. Sounds like others have yet to get a single alert. I've received all of the ones we were supposed to and a little extra. All good in the hood.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 9:30 PM

I have my phone on vibrate all the time, my phone went off with a noise so loud I think the dogs in the neighbourbood started barking, I nearly had a heart attack went it woke me up. When I noticed it was from the Toronto area I went back to sleep after thinking it was rather strange that an Amber Alert from that far away was sent to me. After the first one I appreciated getting the second as hearing they had found her made me feel a little better. At the time I assumed they found her unharmed.

I would rather they inconvenience me in error and ensure they get it out sooner. I assumed it's policy to send it to adjacent provinces to cast as wide a net as possible. The dad had been alone with the child for 5 hours before the Alert was sent out and easily could have been in many provinces by that time... I think. There was an 11 year old girl in immediate life threatening danger, I feel the police made the right call in sending the alert to too many people in error then not enough.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It was at 10:30... Hardly the middle of the night. But I respect your opinion.

I have zero problem with it. My phone buzzed funny, I looked at it, and put it back down. That was it.

I'd prefer to receive messages from Ontario, than not receive any messages at all.

People online the social media are enraged.
I'm with you bomberjet. I was awake, phone was on vibrate. I noticed the phone buzzing a bit different than usual, took a look, read the message, and then put my phone back down. I thought it strange that I was receiving an alert from so far away, and knew that the car couldn't possibly be here anytime soon. I continued on with my night.

When I woke up and heard that so many people here in Winnipeg called 911 to either complain, or to express confusion, I was surprised. Maybe there needs to be a better public education campaign on these amber alerts, so people understand their purpose. The message could have been worded better, and give a few clues for out of provincers where exactly this was located.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'm actually quite shocked by some of the people online, who are great urbanist minded people, who are completely against receiving alerts.
This 100%. I was actually shocked to see some of the comments, some with so little compassion or empathy. The same ones who say it's a human rights travesty that someone has to cross P & M underground and that their heart breaks when winter cyclists don't have clear paths were some of the exact same people I saw posting that to wake up in the middle of the night when a child's life was in imminent danger was a huge inconvenience to them or that they'll file a complaint with the CRTC.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 4:55 AM
I am a typical

As I explained elsewhere, the guy was in Orillia when he was arrested (a 2 hour drive north from Toronto), so he was heading west. Had he left at 6:30 (the time he was supposed to return the girl to her family, so essentially, the time at which the abduction "took place") he would be in Elliot Lake (between Sault Ste. Marie and Sudbury), and had he left Toronto at noon, he would be in Marathon. Marathon is closer to Winnipeg than to Toronto. Remember, it wasn't until they actually caught him that they could determine a timeline of events. He was in custody of the girl since the morning so potentially could have been as far west as the north shore. They didn't have much of a choice to cast that wide a net, and I'm sure they did exhaust all other options before declaring the amber alert, since the system is intended to be a last resort when they've run out of more expedient options.

And it worked, they found him within minutes of the signal being sent out.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 3:03 PM

For what it's worth, I have no problem with relevant amber alerts. A kid is abducted in Winkler? Fire away even if it is 3 am. But if it's Brampton or Okotoks, maybe wait a few hours.

Getting an amber alert where it is barely theoretically possible for them to be in the region is pointless.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 3:33 PM
Formerly rypinion

Don't forget that the Manitoba alerts were a mistake, and not everyone got them. From alertready.ca:

Quote:
February 14, 2019 Ontario Amber Alert
With regards to the Amber Alert issued on February 14, 2019 at 11:36 pm EST, by the Ontario Provincial Police on behalf of Peel Regional Police through the Alert Ready system for the province of Ontario, we can confirm the alert was distributed on TV, radio and LTE-connected and compatible wireless devices.

We have received reports that some wireless users in Manitoba received the Ontario Amber Alert.

At this time we are unable to determine why alerts outside of the province of Ontario were received by some wireless users. Alert Ready partners are working to determine the cause of this, and updates will be provided as new information is received.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 8:02 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

those who got one are you a bell customer curious if maybe something to do with how bell intigrated mts's network

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
those who got one are you a bell customer curious if maybe something to do with how bell intigrated mts's network
Used to be MTS, then BellMTS, now Bell. I got the alert.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 7:07 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

whats some products to seal a leaky basement

my house sits 12inches above the concreat foundation meaning the main beam is between the floor joists and the foundation and has wood wall insulated with vermiculite running the perimiter sheeted with shiplap. when my furnace is running i get nasty air leaks. witch makes for a painfully cold basement...... metal duct tape and tyvec ive found falls off when the temps drop with the draft coming in

dunno if i just want spray foam or seal the joins with some sorta tape product such as something from siga https://www.siga.swiss/ca_en/catalog.../fentrim-is-20

im in winterpeg for few days. if anyone knows of any samples i could aquire or got some of some products to play around with to see what might work let me know.

on a -40 day my basement is 4c and sucks allot of cold air in when the furnace is going.

also looking at options to insulate the concreate walls. either dig around on the outside and do it with sheets or foam then stuco or just do the inside. got 2 houses identical one im gutting and other is my home.

my soil conditions is esqure sands, im above the water table by 10-20 feet no weeping tile

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 6:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
whats some products to seal a leaky basement

my house sits 12inches above the concreat foundation meaning the main beam is between the floor joists and the foundation and has wood wall insulated with vermiculite running the perimiter sheeted with shiplap. when my furnace is running i get nasty air leaks. witch makes for a painfully cold basement...... metal duct tape and tyvec ive found falls off when the temps drop with the draft coming in

dunno if i just want spray foam or seal the joins with some sorta tape product such as something from siga https://www.siga.swiss/ca_en/catalog.../fentrim-is-20

im in winterpeg for few days. if anyone knows of any samples i could aquire or got some of some products to play around with to see what might work let me know.

on a -40 day my basement is 4c and sucks allot of cold air in when the furnace is going.

also looking at options to insulate the concreate walls. either dig around on the outside and do it with sheets or foam then stuco or just do the inside. got 2 houses identical one im gutting and other is my home.

my soil conditions is esqure sands, im above the water table by 10-20 feet no weeping tile
Manitoba Hydro has all kinds of info. on all kinds of insulating as does the CMHC inquire and they can provide you with a ton of information, you can probably get most of the material you use paid for through grants and such.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan