HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 5:05 AM

I don't mean 24/7, just for special occasions such as the 9/11 anniversary.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 8:59 AM

1WTC is still primarily a box, just a little slimmer; its alternating square design pays homage to the twin towers. I'm not a huge fan of the big spire but I do think it will be a very nice looking building and considering it will be nearly 200' taller than the Trump tower in Chicago at its roof I'm happy with its height as well.

I also love 2WTC and hope it gets built.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 5:11 PM

quick note, more steel rising from the south core as well as much activity on the south tower memorial..

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
I'll never understand things like that. It's light polution and a waste of electricity.
Yeah, why waste - no need for cool glazing, stainless mullions, stone facings and all that other architectural guff - let's just build out of plain old CMU and put courrugated iron roofs on top...

C'mon guys - we NEED some creative design, effects, whatever to liven up our environment.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 8:20 PM
BANNED

Looking good!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 12:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-K O.G. View Post
quick note, more steel rising from the south core as well as much activity on the south tower memorial..
Cool, maybe I'll check out the site again.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 1:54 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...r_freedom.html

PPG seeks contract for Freedom Tower glass

by ELIZABETH GIBSON The Patriot-News
Tuesday January 20, 2009

PPG Industries Inc. is seeking a multi-million contract to supply glass for One World Trade Center, The Freedom Tower, a corporate spokesman confirmed Tuesday. If the firm's bid is successful, employees at its 415-worker plant in South Middleton Township would fill the order.

The firm spent several hundred thousand dollars designing a glass product that would be used for the facade of the lower five floors of the 102-story building being erected in Lower Manhattan in New York, spokesman Jack Maurer said. He said a furnace at the South Middleton operation was modified to accommodate the unique product. The $3 billion, 2.6 million-square-foot tower is slated to open in 2012.

PPG, based in Pittsburgh, supplies coatings, glass, fiberglass and chemicals.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 2:03 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 10:00 PM
JoeCooper

On the skyscrapercity thread there are some recient pictures from yesterday showing more steel!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
...Jack Maurer...
That is awesome

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 2:25 AM
Charismatic Stallion

Rejoice!

Sweet Jebus! Check out what I just read on the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation's Website:

Quote:
Freedom Tower: The Freedom Tower will soar to 1,776 feet in the sky and serve as an inspirational and enduring beacon in the New York City skyline. The Tower's design evokes classic New York skyscrapers in its elegance and symmetry while also referencing the torch of the Statue of Liberty. The Freedom Tower will rise to 1,362 feet, the height of the original WTC South Tower, and feature an outdoor observation deck at the height of the original North Tower. An illuminated antenna will rise from the center of the building to the symbolic height of 1,776 feet.
Source: http://renewnyc.com/ThePlan/world_tr...ter_towers.asp

Hip Hip Hooray! And to think that at one point people thought there would be no outdoor observation deck.

Also: I have a feeling that I may be a little late on this one, but if I let one person know about it and they didn't before, I believe a repost was worth it.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffstuff129 View Post
Sweet Jebus! Check out what I just read on the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation's Website:

Hip Hip Hooray! And to think that at one point people thought there would be no outdoor observation deck.

Also: I have a feeling that I may be a little late on this one, but if I let one person know about it and they didn't before, I believe a repost was worth it.
Not to be a doubting Thomas, but I'll believe it when I see it! From what I've always understood, an outdoor deck wasn't possible due to all the antenna equipment up there. I suspect that link just has bad (outdated) information.

Yeah, I realize it's the LMDC website and one would think they'd have accurate info, but with all the constant movement at the site, I wouldn't be surprised if they never updated that page with more recent/accurate info.

Anyway, I'd be ecstatic if it were true, but for now, I'll continue to believe that there won't be an outdoor deck.

(Does anyone have any other alternative sources saying there'll be an outdoor deck?)

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 3:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffstuff129 View Post

Hip Hip Hooray!
Sadly, that's what was planned when this version of the tower originally came out. It's since been scrapped. Many things on that website just haven't been updated.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 5:27 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
This picture is even better than the aerials because it illustrates the depth that had to be built up before even reaching the street level. There's a ton of structure down there.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 4:23 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
This picture is even better than the aerials because it illustrates the depth that had to be built up before even reaching the street level. There's a ton of structure down there.
And still a lot to do down there...

JANUARY 22, 2009

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 8:47 AM

But it's really hard to see works from the north core, and glad to see more steel from south tower memorial.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 11:47 AM
:-)

Thanks for your constant updates NYguy!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 5:39 PM
World Machine

Obviously a very excellent site to see. Steel seems to be shooting up now, whether it's the FT or the memorial. Thanks for the updates NYguy!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 6:06 PM
Ex Houstonian

From Earthcam today

You can really make out the first memorial platform/foundation now. Now more than ever you can really get a sense as to where things are going to be.

IF ANYONE HASNT SEEN THIS WATCH IT!!!!!!!!!! http://www.projectrebirth.org/trailer.php

Last edited by photoLith; Jan 23, 2009 at 6:27 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 6:56 PM

That's an amazing little vid. I can't wait to see it when this is all done!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive