HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 6:20 PM

Has anyone heard of Tenderfoot Hill?

"Victorian Tourist's Photo Album Of Los Angeles, Circa 1894" -laist

The Workman and Temple Family Homestead Museum

"This image was captioned 'Tenderfoot Hill,' and appears to be in the Echo Park, Silver Lake area north and west of downtown." -Paul R. Spitzzeri

It's rather egnimatic the way the people in the lower right are standing. It makes me wonder if the photographer told them to spread out.

sidenote:
I searched for "Tenderfoot" in the search engine & came up with 0 results.

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 4, 2017 at 6:43 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 6:27 PM

Here's another glass slide from that same 1894 trip.

"This photo of East Los Angeles, now Lincoln Heights, was so faded as to be virtually unrecognizable, but considerable work brings out some of the details."
-Paul R. Spitzzeri

courtesy of http://www.homesteadmuseum.org/

You can check out all 10 images here:
http://laist.com/2017/05/03/tourist_album.php#photo-1

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 4, 2017 at 6:42 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DViator View Post

I'm also a big fan of Julius Shulman (I'm an architect by training), so I'm really enjoying HossCs posts.
DViator, here's a Julius Shulman photo of what your future workplace would've looked like if you'd qualified in the middle of the last century. It's "Job 1096: Pereira & Luckman, Pereira & Luckman Offices, staff drafting room, 1951".

Getty Research Institute

On the desk, there's a copy of Architectural Graphic Standards - Fourth Edition by Ramsey & Sleeper.

Amazon.com

The 1956 CD lists Pereira & Luckman's offices at 9220 Sunset Boulevard. That could be the building on the right of this 1953 picture we saw recently. BTW. Hornburg's Jaguar dealership was/is at 9176 Sunset Boulevard. In 1956, 9209 Sunset was the Sunset Village Service Station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post

Charles Hornburg's imported car dealership "Jaguar" at 9209 Sunset - is still there.
http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/06fcba3ff9c0df3e_large

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
It's an advert for Chez Paulette at 8535 Sunset Boulevard (in 1960, at least). For lots more about it, see what gonzo journalist John Gilmore had to say: http://www.imadeitup.info/ChezPaulettebrochure.pdf. Worth reading.

E_R, I found a site that implies the coffee shop photo you posted (Academy Awards Coffee Shop waitress) was actually the Chez Paulette Coffee Shop itself, which makes sense, as one coffee shop probably wouldn't have an advertisement for another coffee shop.

How did you read that sign Lorendoc? Even knowing what it said I couldn't really make it out! Heh! I read the articles at your link.

You'll be interested in reading it, too, Rustifer. The 8535 Sunset Blvd. address is across the street from "77 Sunset Strip", near La Cienega. The owner, Max Lewin, and I'm assuming his coffee shop, apparently played himself in a couple episodes of the series. Imdb lists them as "The Texas Doll" (1959) and "Created He Them" (1960). He closed his coffee shop in 1964 according to one of the links (listed below) I read and then he had a few small parts in some movies, including Hitchcock's Torn Curtain.

Like many Sunset Blvd. establishments, it had its share of the famous as clients: "At Chez Paulette you might spot actors Marlon Brando, James Dean, Rita Hayworth or Gloria Swanson. Even the waitresses were stars in the making – Rue McClanahan, Sally Kellerman and Suzanne Pleshette all waited tables."

There's also mention of a sister location of Chez Paulette at Warner Bros., though I'm not clear if there actually was a working one or they might be referring to one recreated for "77 Sunset Strip."

I haven't had any luck so far in finding period photos of the place on Sunset Blvd., though.

These links are about an exhibit (including a recreation of the coffee house) and film called "Chez Paulette on the Sunset Strip" that was done in England by Anya Lewin, Max Lewin's daughter, 4 years ago in April-May of 2013.

http://www.culture24.org.uk/history-...tory/art432146

https://www.a-n.co.uk/reviews/anya-l...e-sunset-strip

http://www.walsalladvertiser.co.uk/s...l/story.html#1

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
"Victorian Tourist's Photo Album Of Los Angeles, Circa 1894" -laist

The Workman and Temple Family Homestead Museum

"This image was captioned 'Tenderfoot Hill,' and appears to be in the Echo Park, Silver Lake area north and west of downtown." -Paul R. Spitzzeri

It's rather egnimatic the way the people in the lower right are standing. It makes me wonder if the photographer told them to spread out.

sidenote:
I searched for "Tenderfoot" in the search engine & came up with 0 results.

_
This may not be helpful in identifying the location, but here's a wider view of the same general area c. 1895.
The shed with the slanted roof, inside the white fence, is in the left foreground above and just to the right of
center below:

CA State Library/William Henry Fletcher Collection -- "View in East LA"

OK I think the area in question may be this part of East LA, but that's just a guess:

GoogleEarth

Last edited by Flyingwedge; May 4, 2017 at 8:19 PM. Reason: Add image

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 8:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
When I first saw this floor plan, I wondered where the bedrooms were. My question was answered further down the linked article:
There were no bedrooms. Look at the floor plan. They originally used Murphy-type beds in the Bryson. In the Architecture and Engineer article it says each apartment could fit four people comfortably at night.
I was also stumped by the 'no bedroom' apartments. Maybe someone was influenced by the notion that bedrooms were wasted space and that rooms should have multiple uses... 24 hours a day.

That idea was very popular in the USSR during the Khrushchev era. Thousands of Khrushchyovka apartment buildings were built to that standard in those years....and hundreds of them are still standing.

No elevator, no frills Russian apartment building. Built in 2 weeks and expected to last 25 years. Many are still in use.

http://russianconstruction.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khrushchyovka

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; May 4, 2017 at 8:25 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 9:21 PM

Egyptian Motor Inn

Here's an unusual building - I assume from the 20's - The "Egyptian Motor Inn" at 10720 Long Beach Blvd. in fabulous downtown Lynwood.

It's still there, painted an unlovely shade of cement grey (really?), but standing - and assumedly its rooms are still residences.

The Egyptian Motor Inn
pinterest

10720 Long Beach Blvd., Lynwood, recently
google images

(Thanks again, Hoss, for helping me post the google image, but clearly I have a long way to go before I get it right).

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

As noted, there were no bedrooms:

mrdangerous
I found this 1907 advert for Marshall & Stearns wall beds at a well-known online store.

Amazon.com

I assumed that we'd probably seen the Pickwick Apartments at 833 South Grand Avenue, but a search didn't return anything. The 1908 CD lists the Butterfield & Kilbourne Hotel Co (G T and Mrs C A Butterfleld, Mrs-Lucretia Kilbourne) at 833 S Grand Avenue, with the Pickwick Hotel & Apartments appearing in 1909. Here's the Pickwick on the 1910 Baist map.

www.historicmapworks.com

Looking at the building records, I found a new build date of 1905 ...

... and a demo permit from 1982.

Both from Online Building Records

The Pickwick appears to have been a bit camera-shy. This is the only picture I've found so far. It's dated circa 1905-07

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 9:53 PM

Burkhard Palms @ 1608 W 7th Street

The CA State Library identifies this photo as, "Palm tree in crate on sidewalk, Los Angeles, c. 1890."

CA State Library

"Workers moving palm tree, Los Angeles, c. 1890." We're looking at the same tree and house:

CA State Library

Now please compare that last photo with the one below, from the May 23, 1913, Los Angeles Times:

ProQuest via LAPL

So the "Workers moving palm tree" photo was taken not in 1890 but on May 22, 1913. The other photo was probably taken
the same day or a short time before. The Doheny property in Beverly Hills mentioned in the article must be where the
Greystone Mansion is now, but I can't recall seeing any date palms there on my last visit.

Just to further help nail down the location of the CA State Library photos, in the last one, above the horse truck's front wheel,
in the distance you can see 738 S. Union Street:

GSV Jan 2017

The demo permit for 1608 W. 7th Street was issued on May 28, 1913, so it is not the home referred to below:

May 24, 1913, Los Angeles Times

Last edited by Flyingwedge; May 11, 2017 at 10:42 PM. Reason: better wording

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 10:18 PM

Well, at least she wasn't ragging at the Rex Arms:

Kindergarten teacher, Helen Hulick a witness to a burglary, was given a five-day sentence and sent to jail for contempt for wearing pants to give her courtroom testimony. Los Angeles. 1938.

She returned for the next hearing properly attired.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 11:32 PM

Speaking of the Rex Arms—some shots from a promotional brochure. Those windows along the top floor were the ballroom:

And another rooftop shot—

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 11:39 PM

More Rex:

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 11:41 PM

re: Chez Paulette

Thanks Lorendoc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
E_R, I found a site that implies the coffee shop photo you posted (Academy Awards Coffee Shop waitress) was actually the Chez Paulette Coffee Shop itself, which makes sense, as one coffee shop probably wouldn't have an advertisement for another coffee shop.
I was confused by that too Martin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal
You'll be interested in reading it, too, Rustifer. The 8535 Sunset Blvd. address is across the street from "77 Sunset Strip", near La Cienega. The owner, Max Lewin, and I'm assuming his coffee shop, apparently played himself in a couple episodes of the series. Imdb lists them as "The Texas Doll" (1959) and "Created He Them" (1960). He closed his coffee shop in 1964.
Here's a photograph of Max Lewin. I'm guessing this was taken at Chez Paulette on Sunset.

http://www.imadeitup.info/whatsnew.htm

-note the advertising placard/cut-out behind him / the face resembles Max!

And finally, here's the bohemian interior of Chez Paulette.

http://www.walsalladvertiser.co.uk/s...l/story.html#1 (this is from one of the links you provided MP)

But like you Martin, i haven't been able to find an exterior view.

That said, this pic was on the same web-site (but without an explanation)

But to me, this looks like a stage set. (what gives?)

-

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 4, 2017 at 11:51 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 11:42 PM

And a couple of rooms—

—I agree! Genteel, gracious and fashionable!

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
This may not be helpful in identifying the location, but here's a wider view of the same general area c. 1895.
The shed with the slanted roof, inside the white fence, is in the left foreground above and just to the right of
center below:

CA State Library/William Henry Fletcher Collection -- "View in East LA"

OK I think the area in question may be this part of East LA, but that's just a guess:

GoogleEarth
Excellent sleuthing Flyingwedge! I think you're correct.

So that would mean Mr. Spitzzer at the Homestead Museum has the wrong location for his 1894 image.

& I'm still intrigued by the "Tenderfoot Hill" label. Where the heck did that come from?

for comparison (once again)

The Workman and Temple Family Homestead Museum / 1894

"Captioned 'Tenderfoot Hill,' it appears to be in the Echo Park, Silver Lake area north and west of downtown." -Paul R. Spitzzeri

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 5, 2017 at 12:08 AM.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Speaking of the Rex Arms—some shots from a promotional brochure. Those windows along the top floor were the ballroom:

Oh this is great Beaudry! I thought the ballroom was probably on the first or second floor.

I wonder what the 'raggers' did with all that furniture on their Friday night soirees?

Friday night at the Rex Arms.

Look at those ragging hooligans!! No wonder they got kicked out of the place.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 5, 2017 at 1:55 AM.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 12:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post
Here's an unusual building - I assume from the 20's - The "Egyptian Motor Inn" at 10720 Long Beach Blvd. in fabulous downtown Lynwood.

It's still there, painted an unlovely shade of cement grey (really?), but standing - and assumedly its rooms are still residences.

Great motel photo!
I recently stayed at a motel in Oceanside near Camp Pentleton. A man and a woman checked in to a room across the way from me and only stayed one hour. What's up with that?

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; May 5, 2017 at 1:34 AM.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 2:16 AM

Here's tonight's 'mystery' location.

"anonymous AP photo" / found on a French site

"Un mannequin fait la démonstration d’un «Aquaplane», qui fut exposé au congrès des inventeurs de Los Angeles le 5 décembre 1938."

So if that's the Edison Building in background on the right. What rooftop are the girl and her aquaplane on?

The Mayflower Hotel? ....the Library?
----

Also, what was achieved by putting the aquaplane on a roof....why didn't the inventor just take it to the beach?

I'm obviously not understanding his concept.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 5, 2017 at 2:28 AM.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 3:05 AM

odinthor collection; much enlarged, framed, captioned

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

So if that's the Edison Building in background on the right. What rooftop are the girl and her aquaplane on?

The Mayflower Hotel? ....the Library?
----

Also, what was achieved by putting the aquaplane on a roof....why didn't the inventor just take it to the beach?

I'm obviously not understanding his concept.
I think the publicity shot was just to accentuate the "plane" in Aquaplane.

Diane Dorsey:

apimages

Yes, the Mayflower/Checkers one assumes, because the Library seems a little low (?):

hiltoncheckers

Last edited by tovangar2; May 5, 2017 at 5:08 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos