HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
That part of campus looked great, keep the solar in the parking lots, over the roads and on the roofs. But dont cover up the center of campus.
Exactly.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 4:12 AM

The fencing has gone up around Marina Heights as well as the Oliver McMillan project. Marina Heights looks like the biggest construction site of all time, as it should. Not much going on at Hayden Ferry 3, hopefully that changes soon.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 6:47 PM

By Dianna M. Náñez
The Republic | azcentral.com
Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:57 PM
Tempe has paved the way for a tax-incentive agreement on a conference-center development that Arizona State University wants to build as part of a sprawling commercial project in downtown.

ASU has targeted the southeastern corner of University Drive and Mill Avenue for a high-end development. Tempe leaders have long rallied for such a development.

Before the Great Recession, several developers had proposed hotel-conference centers for Tempe’s Mill Avenue District. The deals, including a $500 million mixed-use project at the site currently under consideration, died when the economy tanked.

On Thursday, the Tempe City Council unanimously approved a state-mandated “notice of intent” to enter into a retail-development tax-incentive agreement for a conference center at University and Mill. The state requires cities to provide the notice at least 14 days before OK’ing an agreement.

In June, the Arizona Board of Regents, which owns the land, approved negotiations for leasing it to a private corporation, USA Place LLC.

The 10-acre site, which includes a parking lot and a Chili’s restaurant and was home to a Tower Records, is expected to include a hotel and at least 30,000 square feet of conference-center space. The project also could include a commercial development as well as entertainment space. The target date for construction is 2015.

Tempe officials have said downtown is ripe for a midsize conference center that the city would market to groups and conventions that want to be centrally located, near the university, restaurants and entertainment. While the Phoenix Convention Center has struggled to secure the number of bookings officials originally aimed for, Tempe civic leaders said a smaller center would be boosted by its affordability compared with larger venues and proximity to ASU’s Tempe campus, the nation’s largest college campus by enrollment.

Tax incentives for developers have come under greater scrutiny from residents and watchdog groups wary of big businesses receiving “handouts” that smaller businesses typically do not receive.

“I would look at this as an investment for the future,” Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell told The Arizona Republic Friday. “Tourism is the second-leading industry in the state, and here’s an opportunity for … the city of Tempe working with Arizona State University … to capture that market.”

The incentive would be tied only to the conference-center portion of the agreement. Among the state mandates for retail-development tax-incentive agreements is a provision requiring the Tempe council to agree by a public vote that without the incentive, the development would not locate in the city.

Tempe spokeswoman Nikki Ripley said a detailed development agreement, which will include more information on the amount of the tax incentive, will come before the council in the coming months. Neither Mitchell nor Ripley had an exact date for the vote.

The state requires cities to schedule votes on incentives as public-hearing items, which must be approved by at least two-thirds of the council.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
By Dianna M. Náñez
The Republic | azcentral.com
Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:57 PM
Tempe has paved the way for a tax-incentive agreement on a conference-center development that Arizona State University wants to build as part of a sprawling commercial project in downtown.
You would think this project would not need such incentives. The construction is going to be financed with private funding and I don't remember the developers asking for such a deal. In that case, I hope the developers aren't asking for the incentives, and instead the city is offering them as a way to solidify the deal. In any event, the city shouldn't have to offer long-term tax-incentives at this point to a developer within a desirable location. A project incorporating a hotel along with market-rate apartments is going to be well received on Mill Ave.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
You would think this project would not need such incentives. The construction is going to be financed with private funding and I don't remember the developers asking for such a deal. In that case, I hope the developers aren't asking for the incentives, and instead the city is offering them as a way to solidify the deal. In any event, the city shouldn't have to offer long-term tax-incentives at this point to a developer within a desirable location. A project incorporating a hotel along with market-rate apartments is going to be well received on Mill Ave.
I very much agree. No reason to give tax breaks.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 5:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
I very much agree. No reason to give tax breaks.
Except for the fact it has remained a strip mall/parking lot for decades.

Offer a tax break to secure a long term revenue generating machine.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 4:03 AM

Downtown Tempe getting swallowed by haboob

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 3:49 PM
BANNED

And once swallowed by a haboob, you never go back to mere duststorms.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 9:40 PM

ASU campus

Here's a half of the photos I took around the campus last Sunday.

Walk-Only Zone sign over by Moeur Hall

Tobacco/Smoking Free sign that replaced the USG Walk Your Wheels signage

Construction of card-access bicycle storage by Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College. Also noticed a temporary bike valet east of the MU as the permanent one is being constructed. I did not see anything for the open hoop bike rack south of the MU or vertical bike rack by Wilson Hall and Undergraduate Academic Services Building.

New Hayden Library generator?

Gammage Parkway Power Parasol underway

Lot 11 panels by Lyceum Theater

Cady Mall looking south with Walk Zone permanent bollards

Orange Mall looking east

Cady Mall looking northeast

Orange Mall looking west

Pringles and Cady Mall Power Parasol

College Avenue Commons

Upclose of CAC from atop the Fulton/College Avenue Garage.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 9:50 PM

Pringles and Cady Mall Power Parasol

Ok, angles do make a difference because these shots of the pringles under the parasol looks very cool! In more ways than one; the shade provided by the structure with the trees and the pringles is incredible and will make walking and being outside much more pleasant during the warmer months! I hope LEDs light these things up at night! That would look interesting.

Now I want to see what the Gammage Pkwy parasol will look like. What will be under the parasol where the grass strip and trees were? Will they be replanting trees and plants that only need some sun but do best in the shade? ASU has an opportunity to really make that entrance unique—unlike any college campus in the country. I love the dedication to solar and shade. Block 12 (College Commons) coming along nicely.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Now I want to see what the Gammage Pkwy parasol will look like. What will be under the parasol where the grass strip and trees were? Will they be replanting trees and plants that only need some sun but do best in the shade? ASU has an opportunity to really make that entrance unique—unlike any college campus in the country. I love the dedication to solar and shade. Block 12 (College Commons) coming along nicely.
I only recall about three or four trees that they removed. Hard to tell from the renderings if there will be any trees aside from grass.

Also I forgot to mention there was a sign posted west of Moeur Hall for a Power Parasol that's not listed on ASU solar installation plan this year. My guess is that it is possibly to shade the undercovered benches by the Farmer Building. Not really necessary aside from that unless the mature trees around that area are subject to being cut down.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 10:27 PM

I think it is a good idea that there are walk only zones on the ASU campus. There are several major corridors and malls that are jam packed at certain times of the day when classes are getting out. When I went to ASU I remember everyone being pissed that there always seemed to be a delivery truck or some facilities vehicle driving down the sidewalks nearly running over everyone. Plus, the bikers and skateboarders were always pretty reckless. I rode my bike everywhere on campus at all times of day, I was probably included in with the reckless bikers, although it was hard to ride a bike with all of the peds.

Not sure I like all of the power parasols, especially if any trees have to be sacrificed for any reason.

Thanks for the pics, and keep them coming.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Not sure I like all of the power parasols, especially if any trees have to be sacrificed for any reason.
Couldn't agree with you more here...no trees, especially large trees, should be sacrificed for the power parasols. Many of the trees on ASU's campus are not native species (which is normal for a campus that is considered an arboretum) and many probably will do well with shade.

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; Aug 27, 2013 at 11:06 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 11:14 PM

Did ASU update the entrance to the Hayden Staircase? The lattice work and ramada? It looks like they painted it or resurfaced it and replanted the same variety of vine. That "generator", which looks like a vent to me, may have always been there, but now it looks like the Book Drop is in a different location. If not, then whatever they did makes the whole thing look so much better. When that plant grows back, it will look great.

I can't tell from this older picture if there was a generator (or more likely, a vent) for Hayden:

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 11:37 PM

/\ The bougainvilleas probably died back in the freezes we had last year (and/or 2011) and is just growing back. The trellis does look painted.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 5:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
/\ The bougainvilleas probably died back in the freezes we had last year (and/or 2011) and is just growing back. The trellis does look painted.
Back in my ASU days I always loved walking by those bougainvilleas. What an awesome plant for Phoenix, the hotter it is the more they flourish! Too bad the freeze got them last year.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 5:30 AM

State Farm has received heavy construction equipment on site and trailers/water tanks, etc. Work seems like it will be progressing quickly on this project. Any reason the site takes up all of Lot 59N? It extends all the way to Rural Road.

HFL 3 has stalled. I don't know why. It has been like this for about 3 weeks now. Anyone have info on this?

Also, Milk and Honey (grocery/convenience below W6) has stalled (again). This is the third time this project has stalled. I mentioned in June that the owner had told people the project would be finished in 60 days. It has been passed this. I am assuming they have financial troubles.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Did ASU update the entrance to the Hayden Staircase? The lattice work and ramada? It looks like they painted it or resurfaced it and replanted the same variety of vine. That "generator", which looks like a vent to me, may have always been there, but now it looks like the Book Drop is in a different location. If not, then whatever they did makes the whole thing look so much better. When that plant grows back, it will look great.

I can't tell from this older picture if there was a generator (or more likely, a vent) for Hayden:

No as you can see from this photo the trellis on both ends are leveled at same height and ends at the elevator.

I'm positive the vent is new since I was working at Wilson Hall this summer during its construction.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Great shot!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 6:39 PM

Not as cool as the airplane shot showing Tempe getting devoured, but this was a shot from my apartment during the worst of it.You can just see the outline of 'A' Mountain behind the white power pole in the middle.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest