HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 3:53 PM

I've used the Map of Assessment Parcels in https://data.winnipeg.ca for the same purposes.

Right nearby, what's up with that weird dogleg through Kelvin High School's parcel?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 4:04 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
I've used the Map of Assessment Parcels in https://data.winnipeg.ca for the same purposes.

Right nearby, what's up with that weird dogleg through Kelvin High School's parcel?
My guess is it has to do with the original school building. It faced harrow, so maybe the back door access/parking?

Old Kelvin High School

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 2:39 AM

A Steinbach company is considering development on the John Blumberg golf course:
https://steinbachonline.com/local/sc...of-golf-course

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
A Steinbach company is considering development on the John Blumberg golf course:
https://steinbachonline.com/local/sc...of-golf-course

The questions I have about these houses is will there be a pink one and a green one and a blue one and a yellow one? Will they all be made out of ticky tacky?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 2:55 PM

I suspect it'll look much like this one, just on the other side of the ball diamonds.
https://schinkelproperties.com/devel...blumbergtrail/

All the little boxes will be made of ticky tack, and everyone looks the same.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 4:23 PM

I really hope they can put a some height into the multi-family units as this development is essentially going to be the first impression of Winnipeg for people visiting from the west. After driving through hundreds of kilometres of flatlands imagine you’re entering the city and are welcomed by a bunch of 10+ storey buildings. It’s crucial they get this development right.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
I really hope they can put a some height into the multi-family units as this development is essentially going to be the first impression of Winnipeg for people visiting from the west. After driving through hundreds of kilometres of flatlands imagine you’re entering the city and are welcomed by a bunch of 10+ storey buildings. It’s crucial they get this development right.
Yes and no. The airport is still really the main source of first impressions for people entering Winnipeg. At one point there was some local agitation to improve the appearance of the route into downtown (Gail Asper letters to the editor about the sad appearance of Route 90, etc.) but it appears that we have pretty much given up on that.

The people coming in on the TCH are overwhelmingly going to be from within the region. Also, the Headingley Bypass will eventually reroute traffic around the dog's breakfast that is the highway through Headingley.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 4:42 PM

Yea that’s probably true. Although maybe I’ve just noticed it more but I’ve never seen as many Alberta license plates as I have seen this year so maybe people are actually taking that road trip.

Speaking of the Headingly Bypass is there any updates on the project?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 6:06 PM

Permanently on hold from what I've heard. When the NDP gets back in power next year, maybe they resurrect it. CentrePort isn't exactly booming either, as you may know haha I know it's more than just for CentrePort. But ya.

Biff any news on St. Mary's interchange while we're at it.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 8:28 PM

Well holy crap. If you've ever tried to book a campsite in Manitoba. You know.

PROVINCE INTRODUCING IMPROVEMENTS TO PARKS RESERVATION SERVICE
https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/?archive=&item=53184

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 9:55 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I hope it works better!

Last year I was waited till the afternoon to book spots, and by then all that was available was mid week in campgrounds I had never heard of.

To be fair, we did enjoy the new spots we went to - and wouldn't have every thought of going to without the archaic booking system.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ I hope it works better!

Last year I was waited till the afternoon to book spots, and by then all that was available was mid week in campgrounds I had never heard of.

To be fair, we did enjoy the new spots we went to - and wouldn't have every thought of going to without the archaic booking system.
I am amused by imagining you and your family attempting to get to the campsite you managed to snag at Port Nelson Provincial Park

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I am amused by imagining you and your family attempting to get to the campsite you managed to snag at Port Nelson Provincial Park
I've always wanted to make a visit to Port Nelson - I wonder how much of the old town is left?

Getting there, now that's the issue lol.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 11:21 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Yes and no. The airport is still really the main source of first impressions for people entering Winnipeg. At one point there was some local agitation to improve the appearance of the route into downtown (Gail Asper letters to the editor about the sad appearance of Route 90, etc.) but it appears that we have pretty much given up on that.

The people coming in on the TCH are overwhelmingly going to be from within the region. Also, the Headingley Bypass will eventually reroute traffic around the dog's breakfast that is the highway through Headingley.
I have lived in Seattle for years.. and the entry from the Airport into Winnipeg to visit my parents has always made our city look like the biggest ghetto in the Canadian west.

Not flattering at all.

Logan avenue with drunks and hookers crossing.. or Route 90 with every industrial distributor in the city having an office on that stretch.. Is this the best of Winnipeg? OMG..

I know Ottawa is a special animal because of the National Capital Commission and its limitless Federal funds.. but they built a scenic roadway into Ottawa.

They shouldn't have built our airport in the West End.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 12:09 AM

I guess I had some sort of special talent with the booking system haha

In all three of last years races, I got what I wanted. In one of them I was spot 300. Essentially first in line.

Just keep hitting refresh before the start time. Once you see the circle in your browser started loading, like its trying to do something. Do. Not. Touch. Anything. It will sit and sit. For like 30 mins while the system catches up. Then boom, finally you get your number. Never hit anything or you'll be booted to the end.

For this year seems like it'll be status quo with some server updates. Hopefully 2023 they'll have a new system.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 3:46 PM

The system has flaws, but multiple devices ready to go at 6:30am was always so much fun!
I personally like Ontario system where are you book I think five months before your start date that way not everybody is trying to log on at the same time.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 3:47 PM

I agree driving in from the north part of the city or from headingley is not the most glamorous spot but are we really trying to attract people who are just cruising through the city and around the perimeter to say oh this is a nice city because they have a few tall apartment blocks on the outskirts of the city?

I really like how this developer is dedicating some River front to trails and not having the houses back right onto the river.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
The system has flaws, but multiple devices ready to go at 6:30am was always so much fun!
I personally like Ontario system where are you book I think five months before your start date that way not everybody is trying to log on at the same time.
Ontario's rolling start dates work well.

The City of Winnipeg Leisure Guide system works like a charm. Never have an issue with the system itself. Just need to be on there at the start time to get your booking. It's similar to the rush for campsites.

The Provinces system is just old.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
I have lived in Seattle for years.. and the entry from the Airport into Winnipeg to visit my parents has always made our city look like the biggest ghetto in the Canadian west.

Not flattering at all.

Logan avenue with drunks and hookers crossing.. or Route 90 with every industrial distributor in the city having an office on that stretch.. Is this the best of Winnipeg? OMG..

I know Ottawa is a special animal because of the National Capital Commission and its limitless Federal funds.. but they built a scenic roadway into Ottawa.

They shouldn't have built our airport in the West End.
I think the convenience of having an airport close to the centre of the city outweighs having a far flung airport where you can sculpt the landscape to make it look nice.

But that said, yeah, I could see the merit of at least putting some effort into Route 90 so that people going to Portage Avenue don't have to look at the shabby light industrial landscape of the area.

I remember when the 1999 Pan Am Games were on, Glen Murray encouraged taxi drivers to take people downtown via Wellington Crescent

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 8:59 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
I think the convenience of having an airport close to the centre of the city outweighs having a far flung airport where you can sculpt the landscape to make it look nice.

But that said, yeah, I could see the merit of at least putting some effort into Route 90 so that people going to Portage Avenue don't have to look at the shabby light industrial landscape of the area.

I remember when the 1999 Pan Am Games were on, Glen Murray encouraged taxi drivers to take people downtown via Wellington Crescent
In defense of our airport and its lack of a pretty by-way into the city.

In almost every major city I have visited the airport is in the ass in end of town.

In Los Angeles around LAX I was scared for my life at night to be buying beer from a Korean guy stuck behind a solid foot of plexiglass.

A hundred years earlier I lived and dated a girl in Sydney Australia.

I always thought she had a nice apartment with very good rent for a notoriously expensive city, until I realized that she lived on the landing path for Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport.. Every 8 minutes at all times of the day and night some Boeing 747 from some far corner of the world would attempt to land and all the furniture in the house would shake.

But she had cheap rent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan