HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I think it's awesome that the city's developing a series of neighborhood entertainment districts. We need these things to act as the anchors for neighborhood growth and revitalization.

On the other hand, these new areas really don't satisfy any daily needs. I can't buy groceries, do dry cleaning/laundry, buy clothes, go to the bank, mail a letter, etc. None of the eateries are inexpensive.

Hopefully soon Claiborne uptown will get a supermarket or two. God knows, Central City/Broadmoor residents could use one so they don't need to drive to Tchoup or Mid-City. Claiborne between Napoleon and Louisiana is a natural place for a supermarket - Winn-Dixie, maybe a Rouses? A Robert would be awesome, although I dunno if they want two Claiborne stores. A Staples or Office Depot would be nice, too.
I'd like to see small groceries built on streets like Oak or Freret. Stores without parking lots but rather only a walk up approach. The stores could have lots of fresh options along with basic grocery options. Kind of along the lines of epiceries in France. This would take away the needs for so many residents to drive to supermarkets and be able to go around the corner to buy some things.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 6:23 AM

It's sort of a big deal that this Rampart St. building is coming down. I've admired it for a long time, mostly just because its quite massive and very old looking. Sure, it was a total wreck, but how could a large historic building like this come down without anyone even realizing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
I didn't realize they were demolishing the building behind the Saegner. The one(s) across Iberville from the back of the stage.

I drove by yesterday and sure enough they were knocking them down...

I remember they were going to close down Iberville for that block and either build the back of the stage out onto it so as to accomadate more modern performances and the equipment they require or close it down for unloading or something...but i dont' recall the demolition part.

Anyone know or remember?

Here's a googlemaps link to an aerial of the complex:
http://g.co/maps/eq98w

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 6:55 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
What else is going on there? It's only been 2 years that Freret was "the next Oak Street", and it's only been a few years since Oak St. really came into its own.
Southern Food and Beverage Museum is already moving there. They are doing a restaurant too. There is also NORAs headquarters and several other ventures I cant remember.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron70115 View Post
It's sort of a big deal that this Rampart St. building is coming down. I've admired it for a long time, mostly just because its quite massive and very old looking. Sure, it was a total wreck, but how could a large historic building like this come down without anyone even realizing it?
I saw a short write-up about the building, which was originally a furniture store here: http://southeasternarchitecture.blog...buildings.html
Apparently, according to the city, the land is still needed for the expansion of the Saenger's stagehouse.

As for the expansion and replacement of MSY, I found it interesting that Southwest is studying adding international flights from Houston Hobby (apparently they acquired the licenses and aircraft necessary for this through their purchase of AirTran). There would be some advantages to Southwest to run these out of MSY instead of Hobby, namely no local competition and an airport already set up to handle international flights. But I am sure in weighing all the pros and cons, it makes way more sense to have them fly from one of their target cities and a much larger market like Houston. http://blog.chron.com/houstonpolitic...ional-flights/

Unfortunate, because if New Orleans ever wants to build large condo buildings (a la Miami or New York) those developments almost require nonstop international flights. A lot of foreign countries restrict their nationals to only purchasing condominiums outside their home country and if you're a rich Latin American, I doubt you'd even consider a second home that isn't a non-stop flight away. With those kind of residents in town, you get more shopping options that the local economy and value oriented domestic tourists couldn't necessarily support. But, this all puts the cart in front of the horse. As people already note on this forum, NOLA needs to expand and stabilize its non-tourist economy, and airport expansion will flow naturally from that.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 3:51 PM

Old Bohn Ford Development

Below is a link for the new Winn Dixie development on Carrollton. Its regarding a crossover on the Lafitte Greenway that people arent happy about. Theres a pdf file in the article that gives the most up to date renderings of the plan that I've seen.

http://thelensnola.org/2012/02/02/wi...sing-greenway/

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 3:57 PM

Airport

Southwests intl expansion at HOU says nothing about MSY. Different markets, different ball game, and was never a flight we lost to Houston to in contention. MSY has kinda respectable international flights already (both Canadian carriers returning recently) and a recent TP article talked about another Intl carrier about to announce a route. This wont be a transatlantic flight or even a widebody aircraft, probably just a Mexico/S. & Central America flight. Which is awesome!

I flew in and out of MSY this week and in the new Concourse D expansion. It is looking a lot better and the improvements are making it feel clean and fresh. The plans for pre Superbowl improvements will do wonders, or at least placate some of our embarrassment. BTW the airport has a great site with pics of all the projects and progress reports: http://flymsy.com/capitalimprovements

Let's not forget we wont ever have an airport like IAH, Atlanta, or DFW. Let's shoot for more like Austin and Houston Hobby, but one that represents our unique culture.

Some ideas:

local food! I cant believe we have representation from some of our best restaurants at the Po Boy, Champions Square and Jazz Fest, but they cant make the leap for an airport location or outlet? There has to be something fishy with the leasing, contract terms, or food provider contract thats discouraging them. They need to fix that now.

Live music! As many loitering jazz bands as I see why cant we allow them to play in the airport. If they behave and graciously asks for tips and welcome people I dont see a problem. London has a program in the Underground that has designated spots where live music can play and they all say "Presented by the Mayor of London". I loved it and think we could recreate it at the airport, Royal, Canal, Decatur street, Moonwalk and around the Superbowl for big events. AUS airport has live music on a regular basis.

I am for a new airport, but I think it isn't fiscally prudent to start the project at this time. Let's fix what we have and work on being consistently good at managing it in a non-corrupt way for a bit before we start 300mm-1 billion dollar projects. The Labor Unions locally are getting antsy about the stream of large projects slowing down post Katrina and are scratching for some big work. Let us wait for a bit and not embark on a boondoggle.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Let's not forget we wont ever have an airport like IAH, Atlanta, or DFW. Let's shoot for more like Austin and Houston Hobby, but one that represents our unique culture.

Some ideas:

local food! I cant believe we have representation from some of our best restaurants at the Po Boy, Champions Square and Jazz Fest, but they cant make the leap for an airport location or outlet? There has to be something fishy with the leasing, contract terms, or food provider contract thats discouraging them. They need to fix that now.

Live music! As many loitering jazz bands as I see why cant we allow them to play in the airport. If they behave and graciously asks for tips and welcome people I dont see a problem. London has a program in the Underground that has designated spots where live music can play and they all say "Presented by the Mayor of London". I loved it and think we could recreate it at the airport, Royal, Canal, Decatur street, Moonwalk and around the Superbowl for big events. AUS airport has live music on a regular basis.

I am for a new airport, but I think it isn't fiscally prudent to start the project at this time. Let's fix what we have and work on being consistently good at managing it in a non-corrupt way for a bit before we start 300mm-1 billion dollar projects. The Labor Unions locally are getting antsy about the stream of large projects slowing down post Katrina and are scratching for some big work. Let us wait for a bit and not embark on a boondoggle.
I agree. We need to be a great origination and destination airport.

Airport concessions have historically been fishy. The good news is that Pampy Barre is out of the game and Delaware North's contract expires in 2014 (http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...w_orleans.html).

We absolutely need local food. Acme Oyster House is a great start, but it (and the PJ's) are outside of security, making them both useless in my book.

Great idea about local music. I saw a live jazz band once at baggage claim, but I think that was likely due to a convention greeting its attendees. Local music can be cheap and would be a great way to promote local culture at the airport.

I am against a new airport and am a fan of the renovations so far. The new rental car facility should make things easier for visitors. The only physical thing about the airport that drives me nuts is baggage claim. It is terrible. It's dark, dreary and feels 3rd world.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolacat157 View Post
Below is a link for the new Winn Dixie development on Carrollton. Its regarding a crossover on the Lafitte Greenway that people arent happy about. Theres a pdf file in the article that gives the most up to date renderings of the plan that I've seen.

http://thelensnola.org/2012/02/02/wi...sing-greenway/
The greenway crossing bothers me a lot, but honestly I don't think there's enough parking. If it isn't too expensive, I'd ditch the parking lot across the greenway, and build parking on top of the Winn-Dixie. That would give them 3x the number of spaces, and save a lot of heartache when some biker gets killed by a car crossing the parking lots under the existing plan.

Also, they'll be happy they have the extra space when Mardi Gras comes around. They could even charge for it.

Other than the dangerous/urban unfriendly greenway cut, I think the plans look great.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 5:33 PM

Saegner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron70115 View Post

It's sad. I loved the building and I agree. It seems it happened very quietly. I didn't know it was coming down... As much as I hate VCPORA and the VCC how come they didnt' throw a fit about it, but yet they threw a fit about 1031 Canal and the existing building at 1031 canal is f**** hideous compared to this old store.

Are there renderings of what i'll look like when all is said and done? I hope it's not some minor expansion of the stage and then yet another large open parking lot or something. They need to fill the lot.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Southwests intl expansion at HOU says nothing about MSY. Different markets, different ball game, and was never a flight we lost to Houston to in contention. MSY has kinda respectable international flights already (both Canadian carriers returning recently) and a recent TP article talked about another Intl carrier about to announce a route. This wont be a transatlantic flight or even a widebody aircraft, probably just a Mexico/S. & Central America flight. Which is awesome!

I flew in and out of MSY this week and in the new Concourse D expansion. It is looking a lot better and the improvements are making it feel clean and fresh. The plans for pre Superbowl improvements will do wonders, or at least placate some of our embarrassment. BTW the airport has a great site with pics of all the projects and progress reports: http://flymsy.com/capitalimprovements

Some ideas:

I see you've come around on the airport talk.

I think the live music idea is fantastic. I have a neighbor that's in a brass band, they charge $350 for 3 hours. Their rates can't be that atypical. I'm sure bands could cut a deal with the airport for a reduced rate, considering the amount of tips they would likely get. I think tourists would be absolutely ecstatic if they walked off their plane in New Orleans, and the first thing they heard was live jazz. People visit here for the culture first and foremost, so why not give it to them right away?

Last edited by Chris from N.O.; Feb 3, 2012 at 10:14 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 12:22 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
The greenway crossing bothers me a lot, but honestly I don't think there's enough parking. If it isn't too expensive, I'd ditch the parking lot across the greenway, and build parking on top of the Winn-Dixie. That would give them 3x the number of spaces, and save a lot of heartache when some biker gets killed by a car crossing the parking lots under the existing plan.
Here's the problem, right here:
Quote:
The grocer needs the off-site parking lot to meet city requirements.
Let Stirling and Winn-Dixie decide how much parking they need, not the city.

There also isn't nearly enough bike parking... they should double it, and especially put some into that pedestrian plaza area between the Felipe's and the Verizon. I'm sure this will become apparent after the Lafitte Greenway opens and tons of people start biking here for groceries and delicious hamburgers.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 12:30 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I'd like to see small groceries built on streets like Oak or Freret. Stores without parking lots but rather only a walk up approach. The stores could have lots of fresh options along with basic grocery options. Kind of along the lines of epiceries in France. This would take away the needs for so many residents to drive to supermarkets and be able to go around the corner to buy some things.
Sure. Baby steps, though. Wal-Mart's now opening small "Express" locations in Chicago that are basically just like this. I don't know if Oak or Freret has the right amount of traffic, though.

In the meantime what I'd like to see are medium-sized grocery stores period. The downtown Rouse's is half the size of the one on Tchoup, and even that is too big. It has too much wasted space on frozen foods and fancy stuff, but their produce section is ridiculously small. I'd do away with the alcohol too, but that's a huge source of profit for them.

No, what I want are grocery stores designed exactly like a Walgreen's, with the same size parking lot and retail square footage, oriented parallel to the street instead of perpendicular.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Sure. Baby steps, though. Wal-Mart's now opening small "Express" locations in Chicago that are basically just like this. I don't know if Oak or Freret has the right amount of traffic, though.

In the meantime what I'd like to see are medium-sized grocery stores period. The downtown Rouse's is half the size of the one on Tchoup, and even that is too big. It has too much wasted space on frozen foods and fancy stuff, but their produce section is ridiculously small. I'd do away with the alcohol too, but that's a huge source of profit for them.

No, what I want are grocery stores designed exactly like a Walgreen's, with the same size parking lot and retail square footage, oriented parallel to the street instead of perpendicular.
The Save-a-Lot on Carrollton, from my understanding, is a lot like what you're talking about.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 6:56 AM
TL;DR

Save-a-Lot is a grocery store? I always assumed it was like a Big Lots, you know a random shit store. That gives me another option for groceries, fantastic!

Now that I look at it, the square footage is about right.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 4:00 PM

Great ideas about walk up groceries and more bike parking. I almost exclusively walk to a nearby grocery store nowadays - rarely drive, and I own a car.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley Santamaria View Post
Great ideas about walk up groceries and more bike parking. I almost exclusively walk to a nearby grocery store nowadays - rarely drive, and I own a car.
That's awesome. It makes life so much more pleasant when you can do that. A good example of what I like is the Canseco's on Esplanade.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 6:37 PM
TL;DR

^^ Awesome! Great to learn about businesses outside of my usual Uptown stomping grounds. I love that Esplanade Ridge area, it's probably my favorite neighborhood in the city - I'd live there if I wasn't chained to Uptown socially/academically. I only go over there occasionally for Liuzza's by the Track and Fair Grinds.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
It's sad. I loved the building and I agree. It seems it happened very quietly. I didn't know it was coming down... As much as I hate VCPORA and the VCC how come they didnt' throw a fit about it, but yet they threw a fit about 1031 Canal and the existing building at 1031 canal is f**** hideous compared to this old store.

Are there renderings of what i'll look like when all is said and done? I hope it's not some minor expansion of the stage and then yet another large open parking lot or something. They need to fill the lot.
The VCC has no jurisdiction over there. They are a government entity that only has jurisdiction over the Quarter from one block off Canal to the Quarter side of Rampart.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 10:34 PM
TL;DR

Hey tennis, have you found anything about the garage for South Market? I know they went to the city for approval recently.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 10:39 PM
-

Quote:
Hey tennis, have you found anything about the garage for South Market? I know they went to the city for approval recently.
He pulled the application. Needed to rework a couple things I believe!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations