HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 6:16 PM

Diablo Burger opens Saturday according to this Downtown Tucson article.

http://www.downtowntucson.org/2013/04/13563/

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 7:04 PM

Downtown Tucson + 1000 More College Students

Interesting Statistics on what 1000 new students living near downtown will need. I bet you some grocery store or CVS like store is looking at these numbers closely. I think once all the new residence move into downtown in the next year or so, we'll see a Trader Joe's or CVS go into downtown.

Here's a more detailed article...

All Those New Folks Downtown — How Do We Market To Them?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 7:31 PM

I know some on here are actually in the business, anyone hear any rumors or news on what might happen to the old Wildcat House property?? I drive by it all the time on my way to and from work and I see HUGE potential of a new mini neighborhood that compliments The Standard student housing that is across the street. I envision something along the lines of this:

All along that side of the street is nothing but vacant lots and shuttered buildings. Would be nice to see some investment in that area.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 2:10 PM

Tucson airport’s master plan puts it at the heart of logistics center
By David Hatfield

What began as an effort to make sure Raytheon Missile Systems would have a long, secure future home has become something much bigger, putting Tucson International Airport as the logistics hub for the entire Sun Corridor, the “megapolitan” area projected to include more than 9 million people by 2050 stretching from Nogales and Sierra Vista north to Prescott.
At the heart of a 3,000-acre aerospace-defense research center and business park would be a convergence of high-speed roadways and rail links interconnected with the airport that would be able capitalize on its ability to move goods to and from the Sun Corridor and Mexico with other points in the U.S. and to Asian markets.
“Once you to start to look at this thing and put the pieces together, it all of a sudden hits you, ‘oh my gosh,’ the potential here is huge,” said Pima County Administrator Chuck Huckelberry, who initially spearheaded the effort as a means to try to provide a buffer for future expansion of Raytheon Missile Systems.
For its part, the board of directors of the Tucson Airport Authority this month approved an update to the master plan for Tucson International Airport that was first adopted in 1974. It had been updated five times since then, most recently in 2004. Until now, however, the master plan and its updates have focused mostly on its role to meet capacity demands as the Tucson region’s major commercial airport. This “iconic update,” as Jordan Feld, the airport authority’s director of planning, calls it, puts the expansion as part of a concept.
“Coming for a compehensive of analysis of what’s best for the airfield, this is the best policy plan in the history of the airport,” Feld said. “In the process we literally flipped the land mass on its head and with the open land reserves that could literally quadruple what we can do.”
While nobody is suggesting such an expansion is imminent, Feld says other airports would be envious to have that much capacity for expansion in reserve.
In the meantime, he says, the airport can pursue airport-compatible development.
The focal point of the airport’s updated master plan extending out to 2035 adds a second parallel main runway along with some realignments and additional taxiways as safety enhancements for the airport’s mix of airline, air national guard and general aviation aircraft.
Construction of the new runway would allow the airport to segregate arriving from departing aircrafts on two separate runways. The new runway and most of the taxiway improvements are projected to be completed within the next decade.
The additional runway has been a part of previous master plan updates but Feld says those were based on projections for dramatic increases in airline services that failed to materialize since the recession. After dropping dramatically from about 280,000 aircraft operations in 2006 to 200,000 in 2011, the projection now is for a growth rate of about 1.2 percent per year for the next 20 years.
The setback of not completing the parallel runway earlier produced a side benefit, Feld says. The airport was able to work with the Federal Aviation Administration on a revised runway plan that will have less impact on Raytheon Missile System’s site south of the airport.
The airport’s master plan also fits in with a study done by the Joint Planning Advisory Committee of the Pima, Maricopa and Central Arizona associations of government, which identified Tucson International as the primary logistics center moving goods in and out of the Sun Corridor.
To that end, Pima County has proposed:
• Constructing a parkway, and possibly as much as a full-scale freeway, that would go between Interstate 19 south of the airport east to connect at Interstate 10 near Rita Road. As much as 80 percent of commercial produce coming through Nogales’ Mariposa Port of Entry is shipped to points east of Tucson. Construction of the connector roadway would speed those shipments and no longer require trucks to travel all the way into Tucson. The connector would also provide direct road access to the Port of Tucson, which offers rail access both east and west of Tucson, including cargo containers for trans-oceanic shipments.
• Reconstructing the Union Pacific Railroad line south to Nogales, which is the only Arizona rail connection to Mexico.
One other item not included in the written proposals but suggested by Huckelberry is that local leaders push the idea that both an upgraded freight rail line and a high-speed passenger rail line start at Tucson’s airport and go north.
“Building rail lines from the airport north makes sense because as part of logistics center, it could be a revenue generator from the beginning,” Huckelberry said.
Under current plans set out by the Arizona Department of Transportation, the first phase of the rail link isn’t even proposed to go south of downtown Tucson.
With all the excitement over the possibilities of a making the airport area into a logistics center, Pima County didn’t lose sight of the original intent of its plans to develop a buffer around Raytheon Missile Systems and develop a business and industrial complex south of the airport.
Those plans include:
• Realigning Hughes Access Road about 800-feet south, moving farther away from Raytheon’s facilities.
• Relocate the main entrance for the Air National Guard base to Park Avenue. The current entrance off Valencia Road has a bridge crossing a wash and doesn’t provide enough space for vehicles not allowed on the base to turn around.
The key to all of this happening, according to Huckelberry, will require an extraordinary amount of intergovernmental cooperation from the federal government — some of the land is currently owned by the U.S. Air Force — and state and local officials.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznate27 View Post
I know some on here are actually in the business, anyone hear any rumors or news on what might happen to the old Wildcat House property??
All along that side of the street is nothing but vacant lots and shuttered buildings. Would be nice to see some investment in that area.
I agree. Tucson is pretty much a work in progress especially the central part of it. It would be nice to see some work on the Stone Ave. underpass...maybe, add bigger sculptures than the 4th ave. underpass. 5+ floor buildings lining Stone ave., 1st ave, Speedway blvd, .... etc (Tucson into Paris).

The outskirts of Tucson doesn't need anymore work. They're nice enough. I think more focused should be done in the central part. I was surprised that parts of Speedway Blvd was being worked on...way back, road repairs where focused on the outskirts of Tucson where barely anyone lives or drives.

btw, I drove by the Cadence today ... what do i think now? - it got uglier

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 6:01 PM

By the way. I meant to mention above, when I posted the article on the Tucson International Airport's master plan and making it a hub for the Sun Corridor, that it kind of sounds like a lot of fanciful, wishful thinking - and I wonder if it would ever really work out that way. That being said, I am glad that people are at least dreaming big. If we never try to do anything special to attract jobs and growth we are never going to be special, attract jobs, or attract growth. Do I think all of the ideas contained in the article will work or are practical - not really. Am I glad they're at least being floated and discussed - darn right I am.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
By the way. I meant to mention above, when I posted the article on the Tucson International Airport's master plan and making it a hub for the Sun Corridor, that it kind of sounds like a lot of fanciful, wishful thinking - and I wonder if it would ever really work out that way. That being said, I am glad that people are at least dreaming big. If we never try to do anything special to attract jobs and growth we are never going to be special, attract jobs, or attract growth. Do I think all of the ideas contained in the article will work or are practical - not really. Am I glad they're at least being floated and discussed - darn right I am.
There is a LOT of transportation planning going on statewide right now, trying to set a future path for logistics, freight flow, travel corridors, etc., from the border up the entire Sun Corridor. Everything from rail, to interstate 11, to economic development opportunities related to ports in Mexico and California. This is long term stuff, but the Tucson area is getting in the game in a way that hasn't happened before, so some of this "wishful thinking" may well become reality.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppdd View Post
There is a LOT of transportation planning going on statewide right now, trying to set a future path for logistics, freight flow, travel corridors, etc., from the border up the entire Sun Corridor. Everything from rail, to interstate 11, to economic development opportunities related to ports in Mexico and California. This is long term stuff, but the Tucson area is getting in the game in a way that hasn't happened before, so some of this "wishful thinking" may well become reality.
Like I said, I'm glad they're at least dreaming big. I like the idea of the aerospace parkway/freeway down south of the airport/Raytheon area. I've also posted in the past about I-11 (which I totally support - even though it may not directly come through Tucson, it is still important for the Sun Corridor's - and all of the southwest's - growth) and High-speed rail (HSR). I've even posted links to articles about Cali's HSR project that is supposed to break ground this year. This may not be in our state, but it is a neighboring state and a state that is a trend-setter i this country. I'm just a little skeptical of this statement, "putting Tucson International Airport as the logistics hub for the entire Sun Corridor". I just don't see that as happening - anytime soon at least. Again, that said, I support at least trying some of this and I like the big dreams. You never do big things without big dreams.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 3:38 AM

Here's an interesting article on BizTucson's website. It's pretty long so I'm not gonna put the whole thing up (just use the link provided), but I'll put some of the interesting parts I found.

Banking on Downtown
10 REASONS FOR OPTIMISM
By Dan Sorenson

The recent settlement between the Rio Nuevo District and the City of Tucson lifted the dark cloud of litigation from downtown revitalization efforts and revealed new cause for optimism about the city center’s future.

The settlement lets the two sides get back to what they should be doing – which is encouraging development of a livable and prosperous downtown.

Here’s a little-known fact – between 2008 and 2013 the combined public and private investment in downtown totals nearly $800 million, according to the Downtown Tucson Partnership. About $90 million is projected for 2014.

The settlement means Rio Nuevo dropped its lawsuits against the city and assigned ownership of some properties that were disputed. It also restricts Rio Nuevo from spending any money on anything beyond its present commitments until it has made official plans to proceed on work on the Tucson Convention Center and hotel development.

2. Once students move downtown, retail will follow
Stiteler said he sees the retail stage coming soon. “I left a lot of spaces that I could have leased to restaurants or bars. I’ve left them open so I have space when that (retail) comes. That’s a 2014 and 2015 experience. No doubt student housing will make it easier for retailers to get comfortable,” he said.

4. Vertical development mixes residents & business
Also in the works: a 160-unit apartment complex near the Mercado, which is a joint venture of Holualoa Companies and the Gadsden Company.

5. Modern street car means you can get there from here
The Sun Link Tucson Modern Streetcar is just part of the transportation component for the new downtown. A portion of the Ronstadt Transit Center could be used, or it could end up moved or incorporated in a private development on its current location. The city council is currently considering a land swap involving the Ronstadt Transit Center property for 28 acres of pristine desert land, known as Painted Hills, west of Silverbell Road and now owned by a Dallas police and fire pension fund.

Downtown Partnership’s Keith said the city is interested in preserving the westside desert property and is doing a “best practices” study, investigating ways other cities have incorporated transit stations into buildings. The station could end up underground, below a mixed use retail-residential-office building, or adjacent to it on property between the current transit center and the west end of the train station on Toole Avenue.

Old Posted May 2, 2013, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Like I said, I'm glad they're at least dreaming big. I like the idea of the aerospace parkway/freeway down south of the airport/Raytheon area. I've also posted in the past about I-11 (which I totally support - even though it may not directly come through Tucson, it is still important for the Sun Corridor's - and all of the southwest's - growth) and High-speed rail (HSR). I've even posted links to articles about Cali's HSR project that is supposed to break ground this year. This may not be in our state, but it is a neighboring state and a state that is a trend-setter i this country. I'm just a little skeptical of this statement, "putting Tucson International Airport as the logistics hub for the entire Sun Corridor". I just don't see that as happening - anytime soon at least. Again, that said, I support at least trying some of this and I like the big dreams. You never do big things without big dreams.
Agreed.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 5:25 AM

In the next Tucson city council meeting (May 7th, 2013), the council will take up the idea of the proposed Rialto Block and Fifth & Congress Hotel - specifically whether to proceed with a notice of intent to enter into a retail development tax incentive agreement. The proposed project includes a new 3-story building with retail and restaurants and a 6-story hotel built over the Depot Plaza Garage.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 5:27 AM

So, a minor story I've picked up from various sources is that a cafe is going in the lobby of the Coronado Hotel at 4th and 9th. Per Tucson Weekly, a liquor license application was just submitted by a business called "Coronet" at that location. Meanwhile, the city shows an application to restore the sign at the Coronado Hotel and revert the "apartment" sign to the original "cafe" sign. In that application is a support letter from the Iron Horse neighborhood association for a cafe called "The Continental" at 4th and 9th. "Coronet" and "The Continental" are clearly the same thing with different names. In any case, that'll be a great enhancement to that building and the Iron Horse people seem to think the cafe will be a great addition to their neighborhood.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 3:13 PM

Quote:
In the next Tucson city council meeting (May 7th, 2013), the council will take up the idea of the proposed Rialto Block and Fifth & Congress Hotel - specifically whether to proceed with a notice of intent to enter into a retail development tax incentive agreement. The proposed project includes a new 3-story building with retail and restaurants and a 6-story hotel built over the Depot Plaza Garage.
Pretty excited about this project. I work in the hotel industry at one of the top hotels in the world, and it would be nice to see a new hotel of quality go downtown. Still pissed about the Hotel Tucson, would LOVE to see that torn down and a mix use hotel/residence tower go up in it's place. Something like 18 to 25 floors.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 8:51 PM

Tucson's Economic Recovery

At this point it has been probably close to a full recovery from the recession for Tucson. At least for jobs. Here are some articles I found

This one is a year old and we might have covered it already, I'm not too sure.

http://thegazette.com/2012/06/11/inv...-7th-facility/

Here's the best cities for jobs in 2020
http://pattyinglishms.hubpages.com/h...ities_USA_Jobs

Tucson is above Atlanta, Austin, Sacramento, Albuquerque and Oklahoma City just to name a few.

Phoenix is number two. Arizona for the win in 2020. The housing market has seemed to recover here too, it's probably not too long until we see rapid population growth again.

It seems that Involta has already moved in to their new location. http://www.involta.com/Multi-Tenant-...ucson,-AZ.aspx

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher View Post
At this point it has been probably close to a full recovery from the recession for Tucson. At least for jobs. Here are some articles I found

This one is a year old and we might have covered it already, I'm not too sure.

http://thegazette.com/2012/06/11/inv...-7th-facility/

Here's the best cities for jobs in 2020
http://pattyinglishms.hubpages.com/h...ities_USA_Jobs

Tucson is above Atlanta, Austin, Sacramento, Albuquerque and Oklahoma City just to name a few.

Phoenix is number two. Arizona for the win in 2020. The housing market has seemed to recover here too, it's probably not too long until we see rapid population growth again.

It seems that Involta has already moved in to their new location. http://www.involta.com/Multi-Tenant-...ucson,-AZ.aspx
It's not the housing market in the Tucson area that needs to improve for us to start growing fast again. It's the housing market in places like the midwest we need to improve for us to grow. If people are stuck in their homes because they can't sell them, or because they are going to be selling them for too big of a loss, then they aren't going to be moving. If those markets improve and they can get out of their homes, then they'll start moving back to places like here, Phoenix, Vegas, Cali and Florida. We do need our overall economy to improve - to have jobs to attract people, but our housing market will improve after other places - in other words, after other places have improved and their residents want to move here and it drives demand which will drive up prices.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 1:48 PM

I think the addition of new business will be what spurs Tucson growth the most as well as adds more higher value homes. Getting current companies to expand and new ones to set up locations will get expansion going again and maybe we can keep these well educated U of A grads in town for a change. We have jobs just not as many high paying, high qualification type jobs as a we would want. The city/county need to get creative and attract some companies as well as keep momentum behind the Port of Tucson movement whether it be near Picacho or at the actual place named Port of Tucson that is a big opportunity. We also have to think about sustaining a larger population and we all know Phoenix gets water priority over us. You go up there its landscaped like southern California lol but thats a whole other issue. Tucson will have to work on its water harvesting, conservation, etc to help sustain our growth.

Last edited by cdsuofa; May 6, 2013 at 2:34 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 6:04 PM

Update from 050513

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 8:36 PM

Apparently Sixth Ave. will be two-way soon, but the article's kind of confusing me on which stretches. It says between Speedway and Broadway, but then says all of it will be two-way, and then says it'll only have two new signals at Speedway and Sixth St. They just put up new traffic lights at Congress and Sixth Ave. and there isn't a spot to attach an arm for southbound travel and I really hope they find a better solution at Toole than the five-way stop. Anyone know anything else about this project?

Road runner: Stretch of Sixth Ave. downtown will become 2-way soon
By Becky Pallack — Arizona Daily Star

The city is gearing up for a project to convert Sixth Avenue to two-way traffic between Broadway and Speedway.

And that means another major entryway to downtown Tucson will be under construction, joining Broadway, Congress Street, Granada Avenue and St. Mary's Road.

The project includes new traffic signals at Sixth Avenue and Speedway, and at Sixth Avenue and Sixth Street, said project manager Diahn Swartz.

Part of Sixth was converted to two-way traffic last year during streetcar construction, and when the project is done all of Sixth will have two-way traffic.

There will also be new signs, smoother pavement and new striping, she said.

Between Sixth Street and Speedway, Sixth Avenue will have two northbound lanes and one southbound lane, with parking on both sides of the street. There will be markings for cars to share the road with cyclists.

Construction will begin late this month or early in June and take about three months to complete, Swartz said.

One lane in each direction will stay open during the work, but you could try Stone Avenue as an alternative route.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsuofa View Post
I think the addition of new business will be what spurs Tucson growth the most as well as adds more higher value homes. Getting current companies to expand and new ones to set up locations will get expansion going again and maybe we can keep these well educated U of A grads in town for a change. We have jobs just not as many high paying, high qualification type jobs as a we would want. The city/county need to get creative and attract some companies as well as keep momentum behind the Port of Tucson movement whether it be near Picacho or at the actual place named Port of Tucson that is a big opportunity. We also have to think about sustaining a larger population and we all know Phoenix gets water priority over us. You go up there its landscaped like southern California lol but thats a whole other issue. Tucson will have to work on its water harvesting, conservation, etc to help sustain our growth.

One of the reasons Phoenix probably needs to "waste" water is simply its urban heat island. It formed around 1970, which is when you notice median nighttime temperatures first starting their inexorable climb upward. If and when Tucson's urban heat island takes shape, it may be necessary to use more water in the center of the metroplex just to cool things down.

Growth is a double-edged sword. Granted, there's the vibrant economy that keeps the city relevant and exciting. But the other side is Phoenix-like dystopia. As long as Phoenix remains the model, you need to watch out for the negative ramifications of endless sprawl. As it is, Tucson does a good job looking green with mesquites and other low-water plants. Insofar as they give Tucson a more natural appearance, all the better.

Phoenix is too much. Two would be too many.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 11:05 PM
Registered Chief Weirdo

Student Housing in Historic Neighborhood

Above article just showed up on Arizona Public Media. Student Housing projects listed in the article are below:

Among the new housing complexes:
- The District on 5th: 550 N. 5th Ave., 768 students. Opened in 2012.
- Level phase 1: 1042 N. Tyndall Ave., 570 students. Scheduled to open August 2013.
- The Retreat, Park and 22nd Street, 774 students. Scheduled to open August 2013.
- The Cadence, 345 and 350 E. Congress St., 465 students. Scheduled to open August 2013.
- Level phase 2: 1020 N. Tyndall Ave., 390 students. Scheduled to open August 2014.
I think this is supposed to be Park Ave.
- HUB at Tucson, 1011 N. Tyndall Ave., 590 students. Scheduled to open August 2014.
- Junction at Iron Horse, 504 E. 10th St., 185 students. Scheduled to open August 2014.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest