HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj6286 View Post
Does anyone have any info about tunnels in this city? I've heard different ones like a tunnel under King Street from BMO to Scotiabank, tunnel/bunker under the legislature to the Lieutenant Govenor's house, rumours of tunnels under UNB/STU, and the hospital. I know of really short public ones under the HIL to Keirstead Hall.
Yes there are tunnels under STU and UNB. Most of them are not accessable to the students or public but there is one from the Science library to the Harriet Irving Libary that Ive been in. There are 5 or 6 other tunnels that security or physical plant have keys too. There is one Tunnel from The heating plant to the Hospital.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 2:51 PM

The main reason for most of the tunnels are for heating purposes. The UNB Heating plant supplies steam to the Hospital as well as all the buildings on campus (STU and UNB) and the steam lines are routed through the tunnels.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 6:13 PM

If you look around on campus in early spring / just after snow has melted you will see paths of green grass overtop of where the tunnels run. Usually there are walking paths over top (as is the case in front of the SUB) but even then the edges of those paths will be considerably greener than the dead grass around it. As far as I know, all of the residences have connections to the tunnel system as well as the SUB, that are often used by campus security during the winter.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 9:05 PM

So the Killarny Cup is cancelled yet again. Seems strange to cancel it 2 weeks away, when we've got a week of real cold temperatures coming up. Makes me wonder if registrations were non-existent or something. Have they yet been able to have it 2 years in a row?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
So the Killarny Cup is cancelled yet again. Seems strange to cancel it 2 weeks away, when we've got a week of real cold temperatures coming up. Makes me wonder if registrations were non-existent or something. Have they yet been able to have it 2 years in a row?
What's the Killarny cup?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 12:46 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:

My good old cbc buddy, its a little mixture of both from what I hear. they can have it with less teams, but with less teams = less money, so now we had that warm spell last week and its suppose to be +6 on Sunday, Gives them a good excuse to cancel it

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
What's the Killarny cup?
Pond Hockey Tournament at Killarny Lake.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 2:21 PM

By cancelling it this year when with the cold weather we'd probably have the ice to run it, they're just cementing it's reputation as an unreliable event. Who wants to pay and plan for an event that has a 50/50 shot of not happening every year?

I expect registrations to be even worse next year as a result, if they don't just abandon running it entirely.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 3:00 PM

IIRC, last year when they cancelled it, they all but said it was cancelled for good. Then Kingswood stepped in and said they would host it, so it did happen.

It's only been around since 2008, and only had 2 successful runs at that from what I can tell ( '08 and '09). '10 and '11 were cancelled outright, and '12 was relocated.

So with a record like that, I doubt they'll be able to do it at all next year. (Had they been serious about it, I would have tried to have it late January, to give them fall back weekends into Feb in case of weather issues)

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 4:08 PM
The Sheriff

its too bad that kingswood didnt step in and do it again, if they did it would have happeend I am sure

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 4:10 PM

Kingswood has a youth 3 on 3 tourney going on, which I believe they already moved to a week later because it originally fell on the same weekend as the K-Cup.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 5:16 PM

Quote:
IIRC, last year when they cancelled it, they all but said it was cancelled for good. Then Kingswood stepped in and said they would host it, so it did happen.

It's only been around since 2008, and only had 2 successful runs at that from what I can tell ( '08 and '09). '10 and '11 were cancelled outright, and '12 was relocated.

So with a record like that, I doubt they'll be able to do it at all next year. (Had they been serious about it, I would have tried to have it late January, to give them fall back weekends into Feb in case of weather issues)
The World Pond Hockey tourney in Plaster Rock starst Feb 6th. You can always go to that.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 11:34 PM
Nashwaaksissy

The Quizno's at King and Regent abruptly shut down for good today.

Let the speculation on the future of that building commence.
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirjtc2 View Post
The Quizno's at King and Regent abruptly shut down for good today.

Let the speculation on the future of that building commence.
Interesting because the building owners and city officials stated that Quizno's would be the only operation to remain. The rest of the building would be demolished. Wonder why the sudden change?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Interesting because the building owners and city officials stated that Quizno's would be the only operation to remain. The rest of the building would be demolished. Wonder why the sudden change?
In a way, it makes sense. If they're going to develop the property, they might as well do it right, instead of having that one tiny, awkward building there to work around. Although, I could be wrong. Maybe they're just closing temporarily until they demolish the back half of the building for safety reasons, then open again once it's completed. I expect to see a sign on their door letting customers know what's happening.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 3:40 PM

Well, there's a variety of possibilities I suppose:

* Temporary closure for safety reasons while they tear down the back half.

* Permanent closure for safety reasons, because the building might be unstable or otherwise have issues with the other half gone. (or maybe the building just plain has 'issues' now).

* Permanent closure now because they've already found a buyer/developer for the entire lot, and it'll be developed from there. (What I'm sure most of us are hoping for).

I think it was clear that the lot wouldn't be developed without the Quiznos part; they were just going to tear the rest down to make parking lot money off of it for now while they looked for that buyer for the entire lot. (While still making Quiznos rental money too at the same time)

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 8:51 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj6286 View Post
In a way, it makes sense. If they're going to develop the property, they might as well do it right, instead of having that one tiny, awkward building there to work around. Although, I could be wrong. Maybe they're just closing temporarily until they demolish the back half of the building for safety reasons, then open again once it's completed. I expect to see a sign on their door letting customers know what's happening.
The sign on the door definitely makes it seem permanent (it's something like "thanks for your business; Quiznos King St 2000-2013"). Doesn't explain what's going on with the building though.

Who knows, maybe it has nothing to do with the building, a quick google search suggests a ton of Quiznos franchises across NA have gone bust lately.
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 2:17 PM
The Sheriff

Quiznos food really isnt that great to start with anyways. Going to be very interesting to see what is going to be built there, maybe a new parking garage.
I havent heard too much about the kings place one lately ? is that still in good shape or no

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
Quiznos food really isnt that great to start with anyways. Going to be very interesting to see what is going to be built there, maybe a new parking garage.
I havent heard too much about the kings place one lately ? is that still in good shape or no
Quiznos product has never been a question. In 2012 quzinos had some real issues to deal with. A new CEO, Dealing with Bankrupcy and bad marketing. Not sure why this Quiznos is being closed. I would think new development.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 3:58 PM
The Sheriff

Quiznos product has never been a question ? if that is the case then , they would not be closing all over NA, they would be staying open. You dont hear of Subways, Mcdonalds closing down

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces