HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 4:17 PM

I disagree on the whole "condos are too expensive" excuse....

I made my first purchase back in May on the Orpheus condos that went up in Jefferson Park:

https://theorpheus.info/

The units there were priced from the upper 200s up to the mid-upper 300s, which is actually somewhat affordable for folks, especially if it's a couple. Plus, since this development is relatively small and doesn't have much in the way of amenities, the HOAs on these sorts of projects are pretty small. We need MORE of these kinds of condo projects as they really are perfect for the first time home buyers. The Coloradan is nice, but it's really catering to a more upper class that wants to live right by Union Station.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
I think the majority of people think this is a rehabbed warehouse. They did such an amazing job on this project.
I was searching my memory bank (said bank not as sharp as once was) when I posted. Indeed it's an impressive building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergotback View Post
Is there any plans to update the greyhound on 19th? I dropped of some family there recently and it just seemed, dirty, rundown, gross, 90's, and everything in-between. It was honestly embarrassing and I can't imagine that being a first impression for many into our city...
Spent some time inside over the summer while I dodged some raindrops and took a pee break. It's not the shiniest place that's true.

Greyhound is not a high profit venture; many of their routes are subsidized and now that we have Bustang I'm sure they've lost some of what business they had.

Private companies have even had trouble making it in Phoenix where they've tried routes between Phoenix and Los Angeles and Phoenix and Las Vegas, routes you'd think could prosper.

There's too many cheap cars on the road.

Why? In the age of airbags, insurance companies will automatically total any car in an accident where the airbags were deployed. Often the vehicles are very fixable but insurance companies don't want the prospective liability for a subsequent accident. Such cars are auctioned off, repaired and sold. They may have replaced the airbags or not before selling them; they may be sold on the grey market.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
I disagree on the whole "condos are too expensive" excuse....

I made my first purchase back in May on the Orpheus condos that went up in Jefferson Park:

https://theorpheus.info/

The units there were priced from the upper 200s up to the mid-upper 300s, which is actually somewhat affordable for folks, especially if it's a couple. Plus, since this development is relatively small and doesn't have much in the way of amenities, the HOAs on these sorts of projects are pretty small. We need MORE of these kinds of condo projects as they really are perfect for the first time home buyers. The Coloradan is nice, but it's really catering to a more upper class that wants to live right by Union Station.
I really like this, congrats. I agree--we need lots of these developments. This is pretty similar to a Cap Hill walk-up from the early-mid 20th century. At the very least, these should be able to be built anywhere slot homes are (or were) permissible. Even better if they could be built without parking; this building could have had ten more units if parking weren't a concern.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 7:00 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergotback View Post
Is there any plans to update the greyhound on 19th? I dropped of some family there recently and it just seemed, dirty, rundown, gross, 90's, and everything in-between. It was honestly embarrassing and I can't imagine that being a first impression for many into our city...
They are looking to relocate their operations at some point. They studied the idea a few years ago:

https://www.codot.gov/library/studie...facility-study

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 8:56 PM

[QUOTE=Fritzdude;8397318]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
How 'bout celebrating those projects that were Mayor's design award worthy along with my favorite topic of historic preservation.

https://theknow.denverpost.com/2018/...awards/201310/
Props to Ray Mark Rinaldi for his fine work on

The Ramble Hotel

I don’t understand why they’re referring to the Ramble as a redevelopment. The building was built from scratch..
I noticed that at the time of article!!

The article actually says this:

What it is: With delicate design moves and a deep respect for Denver’s architectural past, the Ramble Hotel transformed a stale, structural dinosaur into a one-of-a-kind hot spot, featuring 50 guest rooms, a restaurant and a local outpost for the popular New York City cocktail bar, Death & Co.

I get that the building so beautifully replicates the look and feel of an early 20th century industrial building that a stranger to the project might mistake this for a restoration/conversion. But in this article, the author implies that he knew what the building was like before its, uhmm restoration, and that it had become a "stale, structural dinosaur." LoL.

How embarrassing for the Denver Post and a column that calls itself "The Know".

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 9:57 PM

New Concept Plan Review:

X Denver #3, 2120 Arapahoe Street: Concept - 22 Story mixed use structure with street level retail development/residential leasing lobby; 1 level co-work office space; 1 level residential amenities and 19 levels of residential units. Primary street frontages along Arapahoe Street and 21st Avenue, Denver, Colorado.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
New Concept Plan Review:

1 level co-work office space;
Rather ingenious I'd say. That's about as convenient to having separate office/co-working space as it gets and if you happen to leave something important at home, you're an elevator ride away from retrieving it.

That reminds me; I could probably come up with a good concept or two. Wonder if I should submit them?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
New Concept Plan Review:

X Denver #3, 2120 Arapahoe Street: Concept - 22 Story mixed use structure with street level retail development/residential leasing lobby; 1 level co-work office space; 1 level residential amenities and 19 levels of residential units. Primary street frontages along Arapahoe Street and 21st Avenue, Denver, Colorado.
Underground parking or no parking? Hopefully the latter, taking advantage of the updated Arapahoe Square zoning.

Just noticed the name; it's going to be another frat dorm like the one on Huron (not that there's anything wrong with that). Where's X Denver #2 though?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
Where's X Denver #2 though?
Good guess?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Underground parking or no parking? Hopefully the latter, taking advantage of the updated Arapahoe Square zoning.

Just noticed the name; it's going to be another frat dorm like the one on Huron (not that there's anything wrong with that). Where's X Denver #2 though?
Just south of the first project on Inca Street and about 30th.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 1:35 AM

Quote:

I think it’s right next to the one under construction

https://businessden.com/2018/11/29/n...r-coors-field/

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 4:39 PM

Image: CPD via Denverite

Denver City Council allows dense retrofit to several Virginia Village blocks, with 150 affordable homes
December 12, 2018 by David Sachs/Denverite
Quote:
The Denver City Council on Monday cleared the way for a group of languishing, tan buildings and bare surface parking lots in Virginia Village to become a dense community of hundreds of homes — 150 of them affordable — with restaurants, shops and offices.
While there was some passionate opposition there was also solid support for this proposal.
Quote:
Thirty-one people spoke in favor during a public hearing, 15 spoke against. Denver Community and Development received 18 letters of opposition and 42 in support.

Supporters said they liked the idea of mixing incomes, deepening the city’s shallow housing stock and creating a compact district where people can live in walking distance from new jobs, transit and places to eat and shop.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 4:51 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
New Concept Plan Review:

Sweet. Looks to be 250'.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post

Image: CPD via Denverite

Denver City Council allows dense retrofit to several Virginia Village blocks, with 150 affordable homes
December 12, 2018 by David Sachs/Denverite

While there was some passionate opposition there was also solid support for this proposal.
Love all the people who showed up to support this. I think the developer initiative in reaching out to the neighborhood and listening helped drive that. From experience, those fighting for status quo will always be the loudest, will always be the squeaky wheel. Ironically, I honestly believe that the development will likely drive up values for the nearby single family homes. The one legitimate complaint I heard was about traffic on Colorado Blvd. Would be nice to find ways to mitigate that.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 8:03 PM

^ Very true-I always thought that Colorado Blvd would be a good candidate for BRT or watered down BRT.

Oh btw looks like Hooters will keep their corner spot..

Last edited by CastleScott; Dec 5, 2018 at 7:17 AM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 4:11 AM

The vertical lighting on 1144 15th is on tonight.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 3:15 PM
ColoRADo

Looks like 2 crane bases at the Rockies parking lot development.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 6:01 PM

“Denverization” is a thing in Kansas City — and not a good thing

Am I the only tired of the negative publicity Denver has received. Much of it from people who live in Denver. I understand it’s gotten more expensive but a lot of the same people who are complaining are also enjoying the new events, food halls, bars and various other things the population growth has attracted. And being a native myself and having lived in Seattle, it’s not that bad as many make it out to be. Seems like it’s the “hip” thing to complain about Denver’s growth.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich View Post

Am I the only tired of the negative publicity Denver has received.
Stop the Denverization of Kansas City. Troost doesn’t need to be hipster-friendly
November 27, 2018 BY THE KANSAS CITY STAR EDITORIAL BOARD
Quote:
While Kansas City officials argued ... young professionals already priced out of the downtown area were moving in east of Troost and gentrifying neighborhoods like Beacon Hill and Squier Park.

The East Side badly needs economic development, so what’s wrong with that?
Wut D'fuq wrong with that?
Quote:
That’s particularly outrageous because yes, developers... got tax abatements and other sweeteners in return for investing in blighted neighborhoods.

Why are we subsidizing companies to push out those who’ve spent their lives there?
Looking ahead with no mountain views:
Quote:
Every candidate must explain in detail how he or she plans to stop the Denverization that’s already happening. Otherwise, we’ll have more and more mountain-view prices, Rockies not included.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich View Post

Am I the only tired of the negative publicity Denver has received. Much of it from people who live in Denver. I understand it’s gotten more expensive but a lot of the same people who are complaining are also enjoying the new events, food halls, bars and various other things the population growth has attracted. And being a native myself and having lived in Seattle, it’s not that bad as many make it out to be. Seems like it’s the “hip” thing to complain about Denver’s growth.

I think the whole "Denverization" debate (i.e., gentrification) is going to be a huge driver of the Mayoral election. At least some of candidates running are running against "gentrification" and the supposed "pro-business" attitude of the mayor and city council.

It's a sensitive topic - there's no doubt the "gentrification" of neighborhoods like LoHi and RiNO has led to much higher prices, driving out low income minorities, and there's resentment around that. Some people think those neighborhoods were better off without all the shiny new things you mentioned, and wish the development boom had never happened.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West