Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 5:43 PM
BANNED

^Absolutely.

Thanks all, for the insider info. Holy shit EFCO. That is exactly the reason why contractors in this industry close their doors. Taking on a job too big or being too aggressive. A slow climb to big-shop status is the only way to go. All other routes are Pure stupidity.

Last edited by Skyguy_7; Aug 3, 2018 at 6:04 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisouthside View Post
"

https://www.monett-times.com/story/2513171.html
Murray Bishoff
May 16 2018
The Monnett Times

"EFCO won the Wanda Vista project under a Pella strategy change to grow the business by breaking out of their core competencies in mid-size construction," Klein said. "This strategy expanded EFCO’s reach into large curtainwall projects, a market with which they had no experience. At 93 stories and an approximate $70 million project, Wanda is far larger than any project EFCO had pursued in its history. Clearly, EFCO did not fully understand the complexities of the Wanda project when it took it on, and therefore underbid it."
And now this is Apogee's problem since they bought EFCO. Harmon has been pulled in to help (Apogee owns Harmon).

Last edited by sox102; Aug 3, 2018 at 7:14 PM. Reason: missed the word "in" in my comment

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 7:49 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^Absolutely.

Thanks all, for the insider info. Holy shit EFCO. That is exactly the reason why contractors in this industry close their doors. Taking on a job too big or being too aggressive. A slow climb to big-shop status is the only way to go. All other routes are Pure stupidity.
Under normal circumstances, yes....but McHugh has been intimately involved as the primary GC for basically all of Lakeshore East's highrise projects over the past decade, including the Aqua. So this is more a lesson about making terrible and ultimately costly decisions trying to save a few bucks by a highly experienced contractor, rather than a smaller company biting off more than they could chew.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Under normal circumstances, yes....but McHugh has been intimately involved as the primary GC for basically all of Lakeshore East's highrise projects over the past decade, including the Aqua. So this is more a lesson about making terrible and ultimately costly decisions trying to save a few bucks by a highly experienced contractor, rather than a smaller company biting off more than they could chew.
I think skygy might've been referring to EFCO trying to break out of their core competencies, not McHugh.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 8:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Yes, exactly, can't fault EFCO for trying to go big time.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 9:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpacaObsessor View Post
I think skygy might've been referring to EFCO trying to break out of their core competencies, not McHugh.
That is correct. If you try go big time and you’re unprepared or inexperienced, you are at fault if/when you fail, which happens more often than not in this industry.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 9:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That is correct. If you try go big time and you’re unprepared or inexperienced, you are at fault if/when you fail, which happens more often than not in this industry.
Lol the problem is McHugh not vetting them properly. You hire a turd, it’s yours to own.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 9:32 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
I understand, but since McHugh is the GC, all decisions made by their subs fall on their feet.

And if McHugh signed-off on a glazing system that has ultimately proved faulty, regardless of a subcontractor being responsible for convincing whomever that it was a system that would work, McHugh will be liable for any damages incurred, via liquidated damages, mediation, or most-likely in this scenario because the delay is so egregious, litigation.

Any issues related to means and methods of a construction project are very clearly laid out in contracts between the client and that GC - legal responsibility overrides any issues related to 'perception', because inexperience of any sub or vendor means that the GC did most likely did not properly do their due diligence in hiring a glazing sub that could produce work that is under the typical standard of care expected of them. Same standards apply for architects/professional designers.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 11:17 PM

This will be a nice windowless building. I look foward to seeing it top out.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 12:41 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by seoulstice_sji View Post
This will be a nice windowless building. I look foward to seeing it top out.
Open air apartments are the new thing, jackets required during winter months though

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 1:12 AM
Flatiron

Since the topic is glass. I fear the worst regarding the fit and finish of this highly-prominent building. If I was an investor I'd be upset with the intent vs the probable result. The transparent glass image from their website is a complete joke.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 1:12 AM

Has there been another supertall topped out without any glass other than the Ryongyang Hotel in North Korea? Serious question...

https://www.google.com/search?q=pyon...RxP7I05cg44xM:

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 12:17 AM

I can’t believe some of you guys are enjoying the glass-less skeleton. I’m having PTSD flashbacks to the unfinished corpse of Waterview/OneEleven during the recession. Unpopular opinion but I hope this whole glass mess is resolved ASAP.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 2:00 AM

[QUOTE=sentinel;8271932]I understand, but since McHugh is the GC, all decisions made by their subs fall on their feet./QUOTE]

If McHugh is the GC what if any responsibility would they have for the design of a glazing system? And assuming the system(s) were built as designed, why would anyone other then the people directly involved with those designs and fabrication be at fault? With a building whose overall design is unusual as this is I got to believe that the glazing is not a 'off the shelf' system.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHeck5205 View Post
I can’t believe some of you guys are enjoying the glass-less skeleton. I’m having PTSD flashbacks to the unfinished corpse of Waterview/OneEleven during the recession. Unpopular opinion but I hope this whole glass mess is resolved ASAP.
Ditto

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 2:50 PM

Framing the river nicely in the first pic

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 3:19 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHeck5205 View Post
I assure you that there is a zero change that Vista will go years as a half built, hulking concrete skeleton like Waterview. It will get sheathed in glass soon enough. In the meantime, enjoy this rare oddity of a supertall concrete structure with no cladding on it. Unlikely to see something like that in the Chicago skyline again.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 10:04 PM

^It's more common than you think that the facade is not managed properly on the front end to ensure it is installed in sequence during construction, although I agree that to manage the facade this poorly on a supertall is out of the ordinary. A few notable glass mishaps on towers this cycle include MILA (McHugh/Pepper), Renelle (McHugh), Wolf Point West (McHugh/Clark... I believe this was nearly topped out before glass started), River Point (Lendlease)... There are probably a few more I am forgetting but all of them had 20+ floors between concrete operations and window operations which is about twice as much as the 8-10 floor spread you try to achieve.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 1:22 AM

Yeah but none of those had 70-100 floors before glass started... This is an epic fail for lack of a better term.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 3:07 AM

There's a saying in Spanish that roughly translates "The lazy ones work twice as hard."

This Vista reminds me of that quote, yet i have no doubt she will be an instant icon once complete.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture