HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 2:48 AM
Bring out the cranes...

I'm a little embarrasses to say this, but there is a development going on I have no idea about.
While driving down 5300 South in Murray today I notice a wood frame 4 story development going on near I-15 and 5300 S. Have no idea what it is, other then I'm guessing it will either be a hotel or housing.
Does anybody know what's going on with this development? Again this is south/east of I15 and 5300 South, building looks to be at least 4 levels.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 5:57 PM
The Drifter

I just drove past there yesterday and the only thing I am aware in that area going in is the 6 floor hotel and the Jr. High across the street being rebuilt.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 6:23 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Murray City Developments as of today that I know of....

1. 6-story hotel ( Marriott I think ) State Street near 5300 south
2. 4-story hotel ( Marriott/Hilton don't remember ) State and Vine Streets
3. 5-story Birkhill apartments add on/phase two Main Street and Fireclay Ave.
4. Jr. High rebuild behind the old middle school on State Street and 5300 South
5. 4-story so far....Mystery project looks to be housing or hotel near I-15 and 5300 South. ???
6. 5-story U. of U. health center near State Street and 6100 South
7. New 200,000 Dillard’s store in place of the old Sears Store at Fashion Place Mall on State Street.

Come to think of it, there's a lot going on in Murray right now. Now that the city of Murray is mostly built out, we are starting to see more and more mid-rises popping up around town.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
I'm a little embarrasses to say this, but there is a development going on I have no idea about.
While driving down 5300 South in Murray today I notice a wood frame 4 story development going on near I-15 and 5300 S. Have no idea what it is, other then I'm guessing it will either be a hotel or housing.
Does anybody know what's going on with this development? Again this is south/east of I15 and 5300 South, building looks to be at least 4 levels.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's more like 5500 - 5600 South, and just east of I-15? You can't see it from 5300 South (or not very well, at least), but you can from the freeway. It caught me by surprise the other day too. I can't see it being a hotel, being that invisible from the main surface streets, but it could be apartments or condos.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2014, 12:07 AM
The Drifter

As I was traveling to Fashion Place today I kept my eye out for this project and noticed it to the south of 5300. I had no idea that was back there. On the way back I hopped on I-15 to get a better look at it and to see if there was information to see what it is. I would not doubt it if its a hotel as its an odd spot for housing and there isn't much of that kind of development in that area.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2014, 3:03 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

I'm going to have to check that out, I have no knowledge of what you guys are talking about.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2014, 3:38 AM
Longing ex-pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's more like 5500 - 5600 South, and just east of I-15? You can't see it from 5300 South (or not very well, at least), but you can from the freeway. It caught me by surprise the other day too. I can't see it being a hotel, being that invisible from the main surface streets, but it could be apartments or condos.
This project along the east I-15 frontage road south of 5300 South is a hotel. I don't know the operator, but I can confirm its a hotel.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2014, 4:15 AM
Bring out the cranes...

So murray has three hotels under construction at this time. I wonder how this development flew under the radar.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2014, 9:52 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Boyer Company has been busy, not only downtown.

Lone Peak Office Park
Boyer Company

Renderings
http://www.boyercompany.com/projects...k-office-park/
The Boyer Company recently purchased 10 acres on I-15 at approximately 12100 South slated to become Lone Peak Office Park. Lone Peak Office Park has entitlements for up to 200,000 square feet of new office space. The location is extremely visible to I-15 and provides a prime opportunity for company branding and identity as well as a prime location to office near multiple amenities and a diverse workforce. Build to suit opportunities are available.

Two five story office buildings at 12100 South I-15 Draper, Utah.

Edit: OK so that address is 12075 S Lone Peak Pkwy. That is South of where the new living planet aquarium is going.
http://www.boyercompany.com/uploads/LPOPFlyer.pdf

Last edited by SLC Projects; Feb 2, 2014 at 10:03 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy4 View Post
This project along the east I-15 frontage road south of 5300 South is a hotel. I don't know the operator, but I can confirm its a hotel.
It is a holiday inn express.

https://secure.smartbidnet.com/Exter...x?Id=94154&e=1

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 4:42 PM

Good to know -- and it could be worse.

Aren't they the ones who are making over the Shilo Inn?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
So murray has three hotels under construction at this time. I wonder how this development flew under the radar.

I keep thinking that some day that Southwest corner on State at the Fashion Place Mall, would be an excellent location for a large resort hotel of around 500 rooms. Something that would offer the convenience of Fashion Place shopping and express bus service to the Cottonwood Canyons.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 10:54 PM

I meant to post this a while back but forgot because it's not the most exciting news. But good that Varian Medical is expanding in state

GOED announces incentives for 1,250 new Utah jobs
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...bs.html?pg=all

Quote:
“Varian’s X-ray technology manufacturing operations have been part of the Utah economy since the early 1940s,” said Dow Wilson, Varian’s CEO. “Today, some 70 percent of the orders for our X-ray products come from customers outside the U.S., making us one of Utah’s largest exporters.”

The expansion of the Utah facility will add 120,000 square feet to the existing 341,000-square-foot building. Varian expects to make an estimated capital investment of $40 million for new construction at the site.

The expansion will include a facility that will enable the company to perform a panel production process in-house that is currently being outsourced.

“The continued expansion of Varian Medical here will help to elevate Utah’s recognition around the world as a leader in research and development, and manufacturing of medical products,” Gov. Gary Herbert said.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 12:09 AM

I like that the Trib is essentially advertising for higher density housing that is relatively close to TRAX. I hope to see more development like this.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...homes.html.csp

Quote:
The project’s features and location reflect its target buyer— a city-dwelling demographic of young single professionals, newlyweds, couples with small children as well as empty nesters looking to scale down. The two- and three-bedroom homes have scenic views, private porches and balconies, energy-efficient appliances and are wired for high-speed Internet access and roof-mounted solar panels. Typical of most townhomes, there are few lawns to mow but green spaces just a short walk away.

The housing development and a few others like it are hitting the Salt Lake County housing market just as inventories of available homes have dipped below historic levels in recent months, one of several factors that pushed up home prices year-over-year across the Wasatch Front.

As the housing market continues its recovery and foreclosures and short sales of single-family homes decline, more buyers who want to live near city centers are finding townhomes and condominiums attractive, several market observers said.

"They’re choosing area first and then, what is affordable to them," said David Robison, a South Jordan-based real estate agent specializing in townhomes. "And they’re just not finding the screaming deals on [single-family] homes now that prices are back up.’’

Dwindling supplies of single-family homes drove sales of townhomes and condominiums in Salt Lake County to 15 percent higher than the year before. Analysts say the trend is likely to continue at least into the first half of 2014 as many homebuilders continue to face tighter credit markets.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 5:15 PM

I don't think this has been mentioned here before. It looks like Utah beat out some other western states to get this distribution center.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...arian.html.csp

Quote:
Cabela’s to open distribution center in Utah Cabela’s, whose Lehi store is one of 50 the company operates across North America, has decided to build a "highly sophisticated" distribution center in Tooele to process freight and deliver products to consumers

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 9:07 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Driving up State from 45th today I saw the construction of Phase II on Birkhill on Main Apartments. The framing and plywood appear to be up to full height and it looks like the roof is being worked on or is next.

Obviously there is huge demand at Birkhill Fireclay, considering they are adding this addition even with Lionsgate opening recently and Hamlets building of the townhomes. I would anticipate that the retail in the Birkhill condos building will start to fill up this year, roof tops bring retail and there is an ever increasing supply of those.

We saw the announcement a few pages back regarding the Birkhill Office building on the NE corner of Main and Fireclay. I wouldn't be surprised to see the SW corner of that intersection, from Main to the park and ride be announced for redevelopment by the end of 2014 maybe mid 2015.

Murray North Trax station is really the first Main line station that is seeing a true Transit Oriented neighborhood develop around it.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 1:12 PM

Any news on stores at Fashion Place Mall? What stores would you guys like to see there? I noticed on a job site it had possible jobs at Fashion Place Mall for a Bloomingdales? Could be cool!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 4:04 PM

WHAT!!! Are you serious?? What job site exactly are you talking about? That would be great news. If a Bloomingdales is willing to commit to Salt Lake's Metro, when so many other metros are being looked over in these precarious times would be a huge feather. I would like to know more on this. Heck, even those of us who are not retail nerds would like to know more. It wouldn't surprise me though, given Fashion Place Mall's high ranking national stats. Also, Vegas is an easy reach as a distribution path.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 4:17 PM

Utah Olympic Park has big plans: "Park to transition from Olympic 'site' to 'center'"

The Utah Olympic Park has plans for increased development such as athlete housing and sports medicine facilities. The future development of the park is also expected to be an economic boon to Summit County. (Photo courtesy of Melanie Welch)

Aaron Osowski, The Park Record

http://www.parkrecord.com/park_city-...-has-big-plans

Since it first opened in 1992 as the Utah Winter Sports Park, the Utah Olympic Park (UOP) has attracted visitors, world-class athletes and, in 2002, the Olympic Games themselves. But the UOP has more in store for the future as part of an effort to broaden its focus.

"Our whole pitch on what the UOP is doing is to be a facility that not only trains high-performance athletes but, more importantly, is a community recreation center and serves a wider population," said Colin Hilton, president and CEO of the Utah Olympic Legacy Foundation

Featuring six Nordic ski jumps, a 1,335-meter sliding sports track, a 750,000-gallon summer freestyle and freeskiing training pool, among other facilities, the UOP is open year-round and is geared toward both athletes and residents. The UOP is also home to the Winter Sports School, a college prep school for those dedicated to training in winter sports.

Hilton said the park helps make the Park City area a destination resort community with a unique Olympic heritage, which is not something many towns can say. He envisions the future expansion of the UOP as tied in with a greater goal.

"Our goal is to take what we are as an official Olympic training site and transition that into an Olympic training center," Hilton said. "The 'site' to 'center' transition implies we're going to supply an enhanced level of services."

Those services will include sports medicine and sports science facilities, athlete housing, increased meeting space and more as part of the UOP's plan for the next 20 years.

Increasing the UOP's services ties into a statewide initiative of making Utah a national and international destination to train athletes during both the winter and summer, Hilton said.

The park has already drawn officials from Brazil and South Korea, for the 2016 Summer and 2018 Winter Olympic Games, respectively, who are looking to the UOP's vision as a model for their own facilities, Hilton said.

The proposed development at the UOP is projected by the Utah Olympic Legacy Foundation to have significant economic benefits to the area as well. In a report, they list the following impacts:

•$5.4 million in new property-tax revenue over 20 years

•$1.9 million in new sales-tax revenue

•113 new jobs created up from 175 currently

•An increase in $1.1 million per year in UOP spending in Summit County

•Hosting major events

This new development at the park is, Hilton said, part of a plan to find revenue-generating ideas that allows it to be self-sustaining and a more suitable operation for a future Olympic venue.

Partnerships with organizations like Basin Recreation, with whom they have helped to create expanded Nordic trails in the area, are also important, Hilton added.

"Residents and visitors view the UOP as a vibrant part of our community," he said. "We want to continue to take the Olympics and Olympic movement and inspire visitors to hear the story of how we continue to train Olympic athletes."

For more information on the UOP and the Utah Olympic Legacy Foundation, visit utaholympiclegacy.com.

Last edited by delts145; Feb 10, 2014 at 1:33 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark0501 View Post
Any news on stores at Fashion Place Mall? What stores would you guys like to see there? I noticed on a job site it had possible jobs at Fashion Place Mall for a Bloomingdales? Could be cool!
I bet it was a listing for Fashion Valley Mall, Fashion Center Mall, or some other mall with fashion in its name. It's highly unlikely to look for employees before anything is announced. Especially since there isn't anywhere to build a Bloomingdales until Dillard's current location is demolished, a couple years away.
End of rumor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West