HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 11:14 PM

That's great, thanks blackcat! Is 1901 Ave of the Star being demolished for this? It appears so from that rendering. Looks like it fills the crater and the 1901 space.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 10:40 AM
BANNED

i'll take this one

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 5:13 PM

http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...nset.html#more

From yesterday. Emerson College quietly opened last week; 130 students already living there, and the ground floor restaurant space already appears to be doing well.

Sunset Gordon is topped out across the street. Design wasn't award winning to begin with, and reality isn't looking so great either.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 9:20 PM

Whoa, the Emerson College opening really snuck up on me. Those were nice pictures. I'll have to check it out for myself sometime this week.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 11:51 PM
BANNED

starchitecture bites

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 4:39 AM
Pacific Wonderland

^^ guess you were hoping TCA did the Emerson project

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 6:28 PM
Pacific Wonderland

View into Downtown Hollywood from a couple of days ago:

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 3:13 AM

Anyone know what's under construction at Western and 5th? Looks to take up a whole block.

I noticed some other construction sites north of Wilshire and south of 3rd, west of Western too. There's already a good amount of solid infill here.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 3:48 AM

From what I know, the northeast corner of 5th and Western is going to be a 3 story supermarket and shopping center. They were supposed to start construction back in late 2011 but they only got going sometime recently. Curbed wrote about it ages ago: http://la.curbed.com/archives/2011/0...ing_center.php

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 9:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
as if those were the only possibilities

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 4:22 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I drove by Emerson College this weekend and it's a very impressive building, at least when viewed straight on. The side view when approaching it on either side on Sunset is pretty blah, to be honest. But it's pretty amazing and head-turning when at the corner of Sunset & Gordon. The complexity of the design draws you in visually, and makes you want to explore the various walkways within.

Sunset & Gordon, on the other hand, looks far worse in person than the pictures show. It's really just a cheap implementation of lazy architecture, and already looks dated, despite the fact that it's still not finished. Simply adding some colored panels (which I believe were in the renders initially) would really do wonders with this.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 4:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
Take me down to TCA city where the stucco is green and the boxes are shitty, Oh won't you please take me hoooome

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 6:39 PM

LA Times front page today has a story on Pasadena looking to reduce lanes and construct parklets along a stretch of Colorado Blvd

http://www.latimes.com/includes/sectionfronts/A1.pdf

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 7:06 PM

I was just about to post that actually. Of course, no such article would be complete without a quote from an average Joe who says it's a bad idea and that Colorado should be widened instead. Interestingly, the proposed narrowing is all to the east of the busiest parts of Old Town, but it makes sense too for Pasadena to 'spread the wealth' of walkability.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inSaeculaSaeculorum View Post
Take me down to TCA city where the stucco is green and the boxes are shitty, Oh won't you please take me hoooome
That is awesome.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
I was just about to post that actually. Of course, no such article would be complete without a quote from an average Joe who says it's a bad idea and that Colorado should be widened instead. Interestingly, the proposed narrowing is all to the east of the busiest parts of Old Town, but it makes sense too for Pasadena to 'spread the wealth' of walkability.
To be fair, the areas of Colorado Blvd around DeLacey and Fair Oaks already feel pretty walkable. It's when you get passed Raymond walking towards Paseo that the streetscape begins to feel dominated by cars and pedestrians are largely overwhelmed.

The full article is now up: http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-c...,6698432.story

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
I live about 3 blocks south of this area, and would love this. In regards to the average Joe's complaint - she complains about lack of parking but this plan would actually increase street parking. It would also make it possible to cross Colorado mid-block.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
To be fair, the areas of Colorado Blvd around DeLacey and Fair Oaks already feel pretty walkable. It's when you get passed Raymond walking towards Paseo that the streetscape begins to feel dominated by cars and pedestrians are largely overwhelmed.

The full article is now up: http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-c...,6698432.story
This is further east along Colorado then the Paseo though, really it is closer to Lake Street than Old Town. I wouldn't say pedestrians are overwhelmed at that stretch of Colorado Blvd but it is certainly not as walkable or busy as Old Town.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchitup View Post
This is further east along Colorado then the Paseo though, really it is closer to Lake Street than Old Town. I wouldn't say pedestrians are overwhelmed at that stretch of Colorado Blvd but it is certainly not as walkable or busy as Old Town.
I'm aware. I'm just saying from experience that once you get past Raymond, the street definitely loses its pedestrian vibe. Probably due to the office buildings.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
I'm aware. I'm just saying from experience that once you get past Raymond, the street definitely loses its pedestrian vibe. Probably due to the office buildings.
That. Those office buildings are unlit, set back, and have nothing going on in them. They create a 1 block gap in what would otherwise be an uninterrupted and interesting Colorado Street. As it stands now, OTP feels like its super far from Paseo.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations