HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
What else would you expect of an alderman that got elected largely because of her opposition to Webster Square?
And had to eat her words on Lincoln Common and nearly lost her job in the process.

The LP neighborhood groups there are so powerful and the residents so entitled, I can't see why any sane person would want to represent that ward.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 6:49 PM
The City

^ Yep, she's got it worse than Reilly.

What aids Reilly is the fact that the central area of Chicago is so important to the region, and that the commercial interests there are so powerful, that even he can oppose things only up to a limit

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Randolph had been a restaurant row since at least the 1990s. My first fine dining experience in Chicago was there in 1995. It's become more dense, but I'd place that development as starting circa 2005. Uber has helped a lot of things (except taxi medallion owners, who have been totally screwed, unjustly), but I don't believe Randolph has benefited any more than any other popular part of the city.
Yes, West Loop had been established for a long while, but the entire dramatic transformation of the area in the last 5 years is due to the Morgan L and, to a lesser extent, ride-sharing. Fulton Market is still lined with fish mongers if there's no Morgan stop. It will be interesting to see what happens in EGP between the damen stop infill and the food incubator going up on Kedize. Let's see if investment in these kinds of capital projects can turn that area around.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 8:07 PM
urbanpln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
ain't no NIMBY like a lincoln park NIMBY

because a lincoln park NIMBY don't stop
I got it.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Yes, West Loop had been established for a long while, but the entire dramatic transformation of the area in the last 5 years is due to the Morgan L and, to a lesser extent, ride-sharing. Fulton Market is still lined with fish mongers if there's no Morgan stop. It will be interesting to see what happens in EGP between the damen stop infill and the food incubator going up on Kedize. Let's see if investment in these kinds of capital projects can turn that area around.
also not sure if its been covered here, but recently noticed that there is a new community farm that is nearly complete next to the Central Park pink line stop in N Lawndale. this is in partnership with the Botanic gardens, and seem to be doing a lot of stuff with aquaponics

https://www.chicagobotanic.org/urban.../farm_on_ogden

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 11:51 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Lincoln Park NIMBYs belong in a zoo, such a curiosity that they are
And thankfully, there's a zoo really close by that probably has room to add a small exhibit for the hopefully soon-to-be critically endangered Lincoln Park Entitled-Ass NIMBY/BANANA!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 3:10 AM
Chicago

751 S Dearborn

April 30, 2018

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 3:11 AM
Chicago

Columbia College Student Center - 728 S Wabash

April 30, 2018

Quiet at the moment.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 3:57 AM
Chicago

Twelve01West - 1201 W Lake

May 1, 2018

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 3:58 AM
Chicago

811 W Fulton

May 1, 2018

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 3:58 AM
Chicago

905 W Fulton

May 1, 2018

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 3:59 AM
Chicago

939 W Fulton Market

May 1, 2018

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 4:00 AM
Chicago

214 N May

May 1, 2018

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 4:00 AM
Chicago

Hayden West Loop - 1109 W Washington

May 1, 2018

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 4:01 AM
Chicago

Nobu Hotel - 854 W Randolph

May 1, 2018

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 4:02 AM
Chicago

1217 W Washington - Demolition

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
May 1, 2018

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 5:21 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
also not sure if its been covered here, but recently noticed that there is a new community farm that is nearly complete next to the Central Park pink line stop in N Lawndale. this is in partnership with the Botanic gardens, and seem to be doing a lot of stuff with aquaponics

https://www.chicagobotanic.org/urban.../farm_on_ogden

Not just that - there is a new senior center opening across from Lawndale Christian's main building, they're rehabbing some older single-story buildings. Also, it seems like many of the vacant lots remaining on this stretch are being turned into pocket parks or plazas - lots of pavers going in.

Legacy Charter School also recently opened a new (brightly colored) building on Ogden, and Gads Hill is renovating an old Boys and Girls Club at Ogden/Albany.

I'm not sure nonprofits and service agencies can make a vibrant corridor, but they're starting to soak up all the land on Ogden now. With a declining community, there's not much need for more housing or businesses.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 5:41 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
April 30, 2018

Awesome! Didn't even know a development was going up there. Any word on the lot for sale across Dearborn from this site?

And while we are talking about the vacant ends of the tiny Printer's Row blocks, I'd absolutely love for something to occupy that tiny sliver of a lot on the northeast corner of Dearborn and Congress. The Manhattan is an absolutely gorgeous building, but I've always hated that monolithic brick wall that faces Congress. That stretch is a very visible gateway into downtown and I feel it deserves something that interacts with Congress more. Probably unlikely though, given that its literally 10 to 12 feet wide.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 6:41 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Awesome! Didn't even know a development was going up there. Any word on the lot for sale across Dearborn from this site?

And while we are talking about the vacant ends of the tiny Printer's Row blocks, I'd absolutely love for something to occupy that tiny sliver of a lot on the northeast corner of Dearborn and Congress. The Manhattan is an absolutely gorgeous building, but I've always hated that monolithic brick wall that faces Congress. That stretch is a very visible gateway into downtown and I feel it deserves something that interacts with Congress more. Probably unlikely though, given that its literally 10 to 12 feet wide.
Hammond Beeby Babka envisioned a pedestrian bridge there as part of their Harold Washington Library proposal. The little sliver lots on either side of Congress would house stairs and elevators at the base of two monumental temple fronts. The lot at the SW corner of State/Congress (now Library Tower) was envisioned as a formal plaza.

You can see one of the temple fronts at left:

They could still bring back this idea (Hammond Beeby are still around). It's hard to envision any private development that would work architecturally for these sites, the egress requirements would kill any design taller than two stories, which would still leave a giant party wall. I continue to admire Beeby's idea. Admittedly, it's not the strongest move to shunt pedestrians to a skybridge above ground level, especially after Congress was expensively streetscaped and supposedly "tamed".

The solution, whatever it is, for these lots will not be a traditional building but something straddling architecture and public art...

Last edited by ardecila; May 2, 2018 at 6:51 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development