HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 7:58 PM

Thirty years I bitched about those horrible sodium lights and I'm glad they're mostly gone. They made everything look so ugly at night. My only complaint about the new ones is that when they malfunction or burn out they are like a strobe light. Can't be good for people with seizure issues. On the other hand maybe they are too bright at for some people. I haven't really noticed that so far though.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 7:59 PM

I'm fine with the new lights. I was never fond of that yellowy-orange colour of the old lights.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 8:00 PM

Doesn't really matter to me what they are as the trees on my street are so overgrown most of the light is trapped in the follage and very little makes it through to the pavement.

Last I heard my street may be trimmed again by the city in 2025.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 9:12 PM

My biggest problem with them is, like mentioned before, they don't light up the sidewalks like the old ones. It's particularly noticeable on Portage Ave. between Sherbrook and St. Mary, all of downtown Broadway and North Main street from Higgins to Mountain Ave! They should attach sidewalk-side lamps to compensate IMO.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 3:41 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
My biggest problem with them is, like mentioned before, they don't light up the sidewalks like the old ones. It's particularly noticeable on Portage Ave. between Sherbrook and St. Mary, all of downtown Broadway and North Main street from Higgins to Mountain Ave! They should attach sidewalk-side lamps to compensate IMO.
I would assume that's by design to reduce light pollution, but don't know for sure.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 3:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Believe the actual light housing was changed on every lamp standard when they went LED, light is directed straight down where it should be, downside the light pattern isn't as large creating the impression it isn't as bright!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post

I like the new lights. Everything used to be bathed in that awful spooky yellow puke colour and now with the white light things are actually the colour they're supposed to be. Looks nice. I also can't say they hurt my eyes at all.
The fact that they do not hurt your eyes does not negate the fact that they have a detrimental impacts on human circadian rhythm as well as on birds and other animals. Quite frankly, I find the selfishness of a certain generation born in the late 80s and the 90s to be appalling. There would appear to be a belief that there is an inherent right to do whatever one pleases and to hell with the impacts on others, such as booming car music no matter the time of day (or night), allowing dogs to bark unimpeded (as dogs are supposed to bark and it's so cute, right?), and altering motor vehicles so as to be heard from a mile or more away. I can not figure out why existing by-laws and laws under the HTA are not being enforced.

Street lighting should as much as possible approximate moonlight. Also, enough of the far too bright advertising signage which in recent years has been popping up all over the city. These signs are proven to damage the human retina and can temporarily blind drivers of motor vehicles.

And I sure hope the city has no plans to ever change the historic streetlights along many streets in River Heights and the West End.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 5:07 PM

And then there's the obnoxious and ubiquitous habit of honking the horn every time one locks the car door, whether that be in a parking lot at a big-box store or on a quiet residential street in the middle of the night.

Seriously, are people that stupid? Are they oblivious to the fact that if they bothered to read their owner's manual that the beeping of the horn can be disabled? Unnecessary honking of the horn is prohibited under the HTA. Why not enforce the law and raise some revenue?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 5:51 PM
BANNED

Lol, wow, life must be rough for you if you can get bent out of shape by someone arming their vehicle causing it to honk once because they never went through the process of disabling their horn just for you. Do you not find it ironic that you are calling Millennials entitled? By the way, there have always been groups of people who blast their music and modify their vehicles. They are called teenagers and young adults, not specific to any generation. Blaming barking dogs on Millennials is a new one. (If you are a parody account then consider yourself an expert because I bought it hook, line and sinker)

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The fact that they do not hurt your eyes does not negate the fact that they have a detrimental impacts on human circadian rhythm as well as on birds and other animals. Quite frankly, I find the selfishness of a certain generation born in the late 80s and the 90s to be appalling. There would appear to be a belief that there is an inherent right to do whatever one pleases and to hell with the impacts on others, such as booming car music no matter the time of day (or night), allowing dogs to bark unimpeded (as dogs are supposed to bark and it's so cute, right?), and altering motor vehicles so as to be heard from a mile or more away. I can not figure out why existing by-laws and laws under the HTA are not being enforced.

Street lighting should as much as possible approximate moonlight. Also, enough of the far too bright advertising signage which in recent years has been popping up all over the city. These signs are proven to damage the human retina and can temporarily blind drivers of motor vehicles.

And I sure hope the city has no plans to ever change the historic streetlights along many streets in River Heights and the West End.
lol, this coming from someone in possibly the worst generation in history. The generation who is crippling the future to ensure they have an unrealistic set of services to retire and enjoy their life with and once they're gone leaving the Millennial's and Gen Z to struggle to pay for your lavish and unsustainable lifestyle. Trudeau is the perfect embodiment of the arrogance and entitlement of the Boomer/Gen X generations.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 6:08 PM

I forgot Self Righteous

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 6:44 PM

hahaha too funny.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
lol, this coming from someone in possibly the worst generation in history. The generation who is crippling the future to ensure they have an unrealistic set of services to retire and enjoy their life with and once they're gone leaving the Millennial's and Gen Z to struggle to pay for your lavish and unsustainable lifestyle. Trudeau is the perfect embodiment of the arrogance and entitlement of the Boomer/Gen X generations.
lol. What? Trudeau won the election on the back of millenials. They're the only age demographic that favours the liberals in recent polling.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Lol, wow, life must be rough for you if you can get bent out of shape by someone arming their vehicle causing it to honk once because they never went through the process of disabling their horn just for you. Do you not find it ironic that you are calling Millennials entitled? By the way, there have always been groups of people who blast their music and modify their vehicles. They are called teenagers and young adults, not specific to any generation. Blaming barking dogs on Millennials is a new one. (If you are a parody account then consider yourself an expert because I bought it hook, line and sinker)
What I do find amusing is how you say that I am "calling Millenials entitled" but then in the same post suggest that is is perfectly acceptable and reasonable to subject others to unnecessary noise pollution. Instead of explaining why you feel subjecting others to unnecessary noise pollution is justifiable, you launch into a mocking and dismissive ad hominem argument while appearing to be entirely oblivious to its well-documented and very serious negative health effects. Such an argument meets the very definition of entitled.

There is no need for the horn to sound when "arming" a vehicle. It is purely inconsiderate and selfish on the part of the driver. The function can be disabled so that only the lights flash. Is that not sufficient?

I have been around long enough to know that people have played music loudly in their vehicles for many decades. The difference is that the amount of bass in the music and (due to technological limitations) the volumes were not nearly as high. And with respect to vehicle modification, this was problematic in decades past as well, but there was periodic enforcement at the very least. Yes, dogs have always barked, the difference was that in the recent past if one confronted a dog owner about the problem, the person was generally apologetic and made efforts to rectify the problem. Often, it was simply a case of not being aware that neighbours were being disturbed. More recently, the dog owners are more inclined to get defensive, self-righteous and even aggressive, even if their dog barks routinely and for lengths at a time in the late night or early morning hours. I will admit that this is a generalization, but this behaviour is rather typical amongst the generation being discussed, it would appear insulting to them almost to the point of affecting their security or self-esteem to be subject to any degree, no matter how slight, of criticism.

All of these anti-social behaviours are prohibited by various by-laws and provincial legislation. Let's start enforcing the laws. My personal experience is that Winnipeg is much louder than other cities, some much larger, that I have visited. Noise bylaw violations are tolerated here much more so than in other cities, for what reason I can not understand, particularly when this city has the highest number of law enforcement officers per capita of any city in the country. I do not think we are getting good value for money.

I'll preempt the nonsensical assertion that in an urban environment noise is a fact of life so it should be tolerated without complaint. Yes, indeed it is a part of urban life, but what is being referred to here is unnecessary and avoidable noise pollution.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Oh stop it, you're making me laugh too hard, though it's a good remedy for the disappointment I feel this afternoon when looking out the window.

The neo-liberal policies of the past 35 years have been disastrous for the Millenials, but anecdotally at least, many Boomers are working well beyond when they hoped they would retire because they are still supporting their Millenial children and in quite a number cases their children as well. Lavish life style I think not. As for Generation X, they are a smaller generation who were hit hard by the double recessions of the early 80s and more especially the early 90s, and the first in modern history to have material standards of living lower than their parents.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 7:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
What I do find amusing is how you say that I am "calling Millenials entitled" but then in the same post suggest that is is perfectly acceptable and reasonable to subject others to unnecessary noise pollution. Instead of explaining why you feel subjecting others to unnecessary noise pollution is justifiable, you launch into a mocking and dismissive ad hominem argument while appearing to be entirely oblivious to its well-documented and very serious negative health effects. Such an argument meets the very definition of entitled.

There is no need for the horn to sound when "arming" a vehicle. It is purely inconsiderate and selfish on the part of the driver. The function can be disabled so that only the lights flash. Is that not sufficient?

I have been around long enough to know that people have played music loudly in their vehicles for many decades. The difference is that the amount of bass in the music and (due to technological limitations) the volumes were not nearly as high. And with respect to vehicle modification, this was problematic in decades past as well, but there was periodic enforcement at the very least. Yes, dogs have always barked, the difference was that in the recent past if one confronted a dog owner about the problem, the person was generally apologetic and made efforts to rectify the problem. Often, it was simply a case of not being aware that neighbours were being disturbed. More recently, the dog owners are more inclined to get defensive, self-righteous and even aggressive, even if their dog barks routinely and for lengths at a time in the late night or early morning hours. I will admit that this is a generalization, but this behaviour is rather typical amongst the generation being discussed, it would appear insulting to them almost to the point of affecting their security or self-esteem to be subject to any degree, no matter how slight, of criticism.

All of these anti-social behaviours are prohibited by various by-laws and provincial legislation. Let's start enforcing the laws. My personal experience is that Winnipeg is much louder than other cities, some much larger, that I have visited. Noise bylaw violations are tolerated here much more so than in other cities, for what reason I can not understand, particularly when this city has the highest number of law enforcement officers per capita of any city in the country. I do not think we are getting good value for money.

I'll preempt the nonsensical assertion that in an urban environment noise is a fact of life so it should be tolerated without complaint. Yes, indeed it is a part of urban life, but what is being referred to here is unnecessary and avoidable noise pollution.
Lol that is quite the reply to justify stereotyping an entire group of people. Expecting everyone with a vehicle to go through the steps of disabling their horn is the epitome of entitlement and being out of touch with reality and common sense. I have never once heard someone complain about the use of car horns to appropriately signal to people that their car is secure. Until now. There is no city in this country that is going to enforce such a nonsensical policy of disallowing car horns to be used at night. Get some earplugs or new windows if you are so sensitive (you must have some REALLY thin windows - mine are 30 years old and I can't hear anything from outside). After all, its easier to change your own behaviour than it is to make such comical complaints that you are making.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Oh stop it, you're making me laugh too hard, though it's a good remedy for the disappointment I feel this afternoon when looking out the window.

The neo-liberal policies of the past 35 years have been disastrous for the Millenials, but anecdotally at least, many Boomers are working well beyond when they hoped they would retire because they are still supporting their Millenial children and in quite a number cases their children as well. Lavish life style I think not. As for Generation X, they are a smaller generation who were hit hard by the double recessions of the early 80s and more especially the early 90s, and the first in modern history to have material standards of living lower than their parents.
Google the baby boomer generation and you find nothing but talk about the selfish, self-righteous and narcissistic generation. Here's a nice article written by one of your own. https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...neration-0400/

You're right the policies put in place by your generation have been disastrous to my generation and future generations. Though I am in a strong position myself, those around me struggle because of the poor choices made by your generation. My generations legacy has barely started to make its mark and will take another 30 years to assess how we did.

It's not my place to point out how bad your generation was/is when mine hasn't made it's mark yet but you shouldn't call us out just because you've become a stereotypical grouchy old man who will one day be found by police wandering the neighbourhood in just slippers and bath coat that's not tied yelling at kids for sliding down a slide at the park because the sounds of their joy inflames your anxiety inflamed ulcers.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Lol that is quite the reply to justify stereotyping an entire group of people. Expecting everyone with a vehicle to go through the steps of disabling their horn is the epitome of entitlement and being out of touch with reality and common sense. I have never once heard someone complain about the use of car horns to appropriately signal to people that their car is secure. Until now. There is no city in this country that is going to enforce such a nonsensical policy of disallowing car horns to be used at night. Get some earplugs or new windows if you are so sensitive (you must have some REALLY thin windows - mine are 30 years old and I can't hear anything from outside). After all, its easier to change your own behaviour than it is to make such comical complaints that you are making.
It's takes perhaps two minutes to disable the horn. I know, I have done it numerous times.

Here is the section in the The Highway Traffic Act:

Unnecessary noise or smoke

179(1) No person in control or charge of a motor
vehicle shall,

(a) sound or permit the sounding of any bell, horn,
or other signalling device so as to make an
unnecessary noise;

"Unnecessary" has been interpreted by courts as any use of a horn except when being used as a danger signal, for example to avoid an accident or to warn of a vehicle that is out of control.

I have heard many, many people complain about unnecessary use of horns. It is certainly annoying when one is indoors, but most especially when one is trying to enjoy the outdoors. A few weeks ago I was hoping to enjoy a peaceful riverside walk at a Provincial Park just outside of the city. Even when I was a considerable distance from the parking area, at least every few minutes I would hear a horn honking. This is absolutely inexcusable and injurious to wildlife.

I would suggest that it is you that is very out of touch. Other jurisdictions have increased the enforcement of noise by-laws and ordinances in response to the now well-documented research which concludes how harmful to health unnecessary noise is. Would you suggest that everyone keep their windows closed at all times so that people can feel free to honk their horns at any time of day at night for no reason whatsoever? Extraordinarily selfish and entitled. If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, it is a duck.

It is beyond absurd to suggest that someone change their behavior or incur expense in order to better tolerate what is a violation of the law. The existing law should be enforced with fines similar to those incurred for speeding through a school zone and with demerits applied.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 8:40 PM

Quote:

Well you certainly live up to your name, I have to give you that. I'm still not quite sure how you made the jump from talking about LED streetlights to talking about how selfish millennials apparently drive around blasting music too loud in their cars all day

As for the circadian rhythms, as other people have mentioned one drawback of the LEDs is the light is so focused that it barely lights up the sidewalk. If the light doesn't even make it onto the sidewalk then I have a hard time believing enough of it is flooding into your bedroom window to make your brain think its daytime.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
As for the circadian rhythms, as other people have mentioned one drawback of the LEDs is the light is so focused that it barely lights up the sidewalk. If the light doesn't even make it onto the sidewalk then I have a hard time believing enough of it is flooding into your bedroom window to make your brain think its daytime.
EXACTLY, it can't be both, which is it?

I have had a bit of a different experience then many while walking on Pembina in the evening. I found the sidewalk to be well lit by the LED lights. My street is another story, they are the old halogen(?) lights and they don't light the sidewalk because of the tree canopy. It doesn't matter what kind of light you have, if you have trees the sidewalk will be dark. If they do put LED lights on my street it won't matter because I close my curtains in the evening. Nobody needs to see me in my underwear through the window.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan