HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:20 PM

^ My impression was that he went down either Sargent or Ellice as opposed to Portage. A lot of cabs go that way and IMO it isn't the greatest route... endless amounts of poorly timed lights, pothole hell, not the greatest looking streetscapes for much of the route.

Remember during the 99 Pan Am Games when Glen Murray persuaded all the cabbies to bring in visitors into downtown via Wellington Crescent?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:23 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ My impression was that he went down either Sargent or Ellice as opposed to Portage. A lot of cabs go that way and IMO it isn't the greatest route... endless amounts of poorly timed lights, pothole hell, not the greatest looking streetscapes for much of the route.

Remember during the 99 Pan Am Games when Glen Murray persuaded all the cabbies to bring in visitors into downtown via Wellington Crescent?
Can't go that way on Ellice right now - it's being redone.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:24 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Just needs a repave and some better light sequencing/no lefts.
The streets in general are pretty bad, though this last two years has seen a lot of work.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:29 PM

The City really needs to reconsider the traffic lights around the airport. There are so goddamn many and if you're approaching the airport from Sargent or Ellice it seems impossible to hit a green light. You're stopping for 90 seconds every 300 yards. It's maddening.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:41 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
The City really needs to reconsider the traffic lights around the airport. There are so goddamn many and if you're approaching the airport from Sargent or Ellice it seems impossible to hit a green light. You're stopping for 90 seconds every 300 yards. It's maddening.
The light at Ferry (?) and Sargent really need to be changed, I agree. I understand why the ones on Route 90 and St James have to be long, though.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:45 PM

^ Route 90 seems to work reasonably well... it's when you approach the airport from the east (i.e. Sargent or Ellice from downtown to the airport, and vice versa) that you really notice what an f-cluster it is.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 5:33 PM

Quote:
What's the rush? You got a plane to catch or something?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 3:25 AM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 8:52 PM
Heart of the Continent

While planning a potential trip, one of the options that came up involved Air Canada with a stop in Edmonton. I noticed from that that YWG-YEG is about to be (at least temporarily) changed over to a CRA twice daily, meaning that for the first time in a while, there will be business class seats available between Canada's 5th and 7th largest cities.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 4:29 PM

^^^^ 6th and 8th-largest cities. ^^^^

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 4:41 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Who's the usurper of our 5th and 7tg place?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 4:52 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Not according to the latest CMA estimates

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 4:53 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Who's the usurper of our 5th and 7tg place?
According to the 2016 CMA estimates, Edmonton passed Ottawa in population, and Winnipeg passed Quebec City, so, we're the usurpers.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 4:56 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
According to the 2016 CMA estimates, Edmonton passed Ottawa in population, and Winnipeg passed Quebec City, so, we're the usurpers.
Gotcha

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 4:57 PM

^^^
I think 5th and 7th is correct, as per the latest Stats Canada info:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...emo05a-eng.htm

Toronto
Montreal
Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton
Ottawa
Winnipeg
Quebec City
Hamilton

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 7:28 PM
Rational urbanist

Yeah the road into town from the airport isn't the prettiest, but I don't think it's a big deal. Airports all over the world are located in industrial zones with some ugly streetscapes you have to travel through before you get to the actual city. I doubt it hurts anybody's first impression.

The terminal is awesome though, very flashy and yet intuitive too. Damn fine airport!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Yeah the road into town from the airport isn't the prettiest, but I don't think it's a big deal. Airports all over the world are located in industrial zones with some ugly streetscapes you have to travel through before you get to the actual city. I doubt it hurts anybody's first impression.

The terminal is awesome though, very flashy and yet intuitive too. Damn fine airport!
I'd rather have a short ugly road than a long drive. The airport in Halifax seems like it is located in an eastern suburb of Montreal, the drive is so long. The Victoria airport is practically in Nainaimo.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post

Agreed about driving through industrial zones, and that first road out of the airport is acceptable... But to me that stretch of Route 90 from Ellice to Portage is horrific. At least if it was a freeway, how it'd be in any other city, you can take it as a freeway, and it'd likely have concrete sound walls to hide the other side. This isn't a freeway and is clearly a road in the middle of a residential neighbourhood, and I personally think is a bad reflection on the city.

Honestly, all it'd take would be planting some vines along the fence so it's grown over in greenery as parts of it now are anyway. That's all it needs: low cost, no maintenance. As nice as that art proposal was a few years back, just some basic planting would help. The "too heavy" argument is a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
I'd rather have a short ugly road than a long drive. The airport in Halifax seems like it is located in an eastern suburb of Montreal, the drive is so long. The Victoria airport is practically in Nainaimo.
Agreed, Halifax airport is horrific. Standard $63 flat rate to the city – that's absurd!! More money than Calgary or Toronto. I don't even think you could take a cab anywhere in Winnipeg for that much unless you're picking a bunch of people up all over the city and going through drive throughs. It's great that we don't have a standard airport fee here.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 5:27 PM

the location of the airport at least lends itself to the fancy idea that it may be realistically connected to rapid transit at some point in the (distant) future

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 7:08 PM

^I'm not really sure I understand the concern with the visual appearance along the routes leading to and from the airport and downtown. I think the bigger concern is to have a quick link downtown via some form of rapid transit, and perhaps some general road improvements in the area (e.g. Berry St. is a pothole filled disaster). Also, there must be a better way to organize taxis. It always feels like amateur hour at the taxi stand.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan