HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 14, 2024, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I feel like I'd be way more likely to get randomly attacked by a homeless person in San Francisco than the traditional high murder rate cities tbh. That violence usually happens behind closed doors between people who know each other.
Detroit has (or at least recently had) a huge problem with people getting robbed at gunpoint in gas stations. I would choose walking alone through the Tenderloin at 3am over getting gas at 3am from most gas stations in the city of Detroit.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2024, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
What city are you in? We have public security cameras but only in isolated areas. Doorbell cams are really common, though, yet they don't do much good.
Hamilton County, OH. It has 830,000 people. Virtually all of the violent crime and car thefts (felonies!) happen on the west side, which is where I grew up. It comes into stark relief when you serve on a grand jury and almost every single crime occurred on a street that you recognize and might have some personal history with. Meanwhile, we only heard two cases out of 100~ that occurred on the east half of the county, and neither of them were violent (one was a college student who walked into an expensive home while drunk and passed out, the other was burglary of some vintage watches).

The police have to request doorbell footage from residents and I don't believe that you are legally obligated to provide it.

Last edited by jmecklenborg; Jan 16, 2024 at 5:42 AM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2024, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Detroit has (or at least recently had) a huge problem with people getting robbed at gunpoint in gas stations. I would choose walking alone through the Tenderloin at 3am over getting gas at 3am from most gas stations in the city of Detroit.
Uh okay. Who gets gas at 3AM anyway??? lmao

I've been in the absolute worst ghetto parts of Detroit at 3AM many times. I've never felt unsafe or been robbed. The boogeyman is not coming to get you lol.

The only time I've ever felt unsafe in big cities is around psychotic homeless people. And they do randomly attack, plenty of evidence of that in San Francisco.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Hamilton County, OH. It has 830,000 people. Virtually all of the violent crime and car thefts happens on the west side, which is where I grew up. It comes into stark relief when you serve on a grand jury and almost every single crime occurred on a street that you recognize and might have some personal history with. Meanwhile, we only heard two cases out of 100~ that occurred on the east half of the county, and neither of them were violent (one was a college student who walked into an expensive home while drunk and passed out, the other was burglary of some vintage watches).

The police have to request doorbell footage from residents and I don't believe that you are legally obligated to provide it.
Oh...Cincinnati area. Thanks for the insight into what's happening there. It used to be just certain areas here, but now it's all over. Still, the worst area for crime is the Rundberg area, from what I understand.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 7:20 AM
Doc Love 3.0

Quote:
Detroit has certainly become too desensitized to crime. Detroit my initial reaction to this statement is to think of how bad things were 10 years ago before the green light program was implemented. In 2014 I would not only avoid getting gas in the city at night if possible but chose avoid late night activities on the border.

Stopping at a gas station 10 years ago meant especially if your white being asked if your looking for a tester or knowing when to just pull off because things didn’t look right. Getting rid of the rampant corruption in the police department got us to 2017 & 2018 when the city first started to hit generation low crime numbers.

Corruption in DPD was blatant and known patrol cars routinely show up at trap houses without making a scene and nothing changes kids getting shot at bus stops. When those two cops robbed people at 94 and French gas station in 2013 there was enough of people being completely fed up and a new administration with a new police chief.

It’s so easy to get jaded with Detroit for anyone who cares with so many chances to stop at what should be the bottom line lost and change looking to be a generational movement if it ever comes. For me things felt real and different when I started seeing yard signs in Redford in 2015-2016 saying something along the lines of Duggan what you can achieve without a corrupt government.

There’s still a long ways to go and the status quo shouldn’t be seen as acceptable but there isn’t the same apathy where your fighting against a rising tide of blight, crime & poor leadership. 10 years ago when all the city’s problems were laid bare in the bankruptcy even the most basic of services broke down like mowing medians keeping up parks and public spaces it shocked and forced stakeholder in and out of the city to action.

We know this story on here pretty well by now what is hard to express are the small changes at community level. Not every part of the city is at the same place the northeast side south of Warren neighborhoods like Nortown are years behind the northwest side. Seeing basic community center improvements such as renovations of historic districts along Outer Drive and 60’s era apartments being renovated.

There is a new coat of give-a-fuck painted over the city. Business especially gas stations and party stores have flashing green lights at night signaling they have modern security cameras and are part of the community - police green light program. There’s still a long ways to go to really truly establishing trust between the community and the police but there’s also an extreme culture of exasperation towards the generations of violence and death.

There’s a sensitivity towards crime that has been absent my whole life certain areas which were magnets for drug dealing have seen drastic changes. Areas like 8 mile and 75 or 8 mile and Southfield have seen blighted homes taken down police going after quality of life complaints for residents who have stuck it out and made neighborhood improvements. Blocks like these where you wouldn’t want to turn down because your likely to run into a block party mid street have the streets cleaned up, speed bumps installed and clumps of homes with new wooden fences and landscaping.

I know that there have been some very controversial measures implemented like shot spotter over by evergreen and 96 I think, Amazon private security working with police at 8 ‘n 75. Most famously Bedrock has been operating a private security center that’s used facial recognition cameras downtown. There hasn’t been a massive pushback or public anger because it seems for the most part because violent crime is targeted while small time stuff like drug use is handled with soft gloves as far as I have heard.

The city is has gained ground in terms of going from being an extreme outlier always near the top for crime standing in most metics to falling into the range of having a bad problem. We can do better and while it’s important to note successes and not let the past get in the way of the future we can and need to do better.

The next couple years will be a real measuring stick for success can the city capitalize on the post Covid assistance to reduce backlogs and continue to reduce crime or will things stagnate. We have systemic problems all across the country at all levels of society and unfortunately getting ahead takes an all hands on deck approach to make big changes. Which means politics will loom large as a pivotal election approaches.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Uh okay. Who gets gas at 3AM anyway??? lmao

I've been in the absolute worst ghetto parts of Detroit at 3AM many times. I've never felt unsafe or been robbed. The boogeyman is not coming to get you lol.
The most famous pastor in Detroit was beaten and robbed at a Detroit gas station in broad daylight. He's black, his family is music royalty, they are worth millions of dollars, everybody in Detroit knows his name, and yet that still happened to him.

Quote:
The only time I've ever felt unsafe in big cities is around psychotic homeless people. And they do randomly attack, plenty of evidence of that in San Francisco.
I live in a very big city with plenty of mentally ill people walking the street. The odds of being seriously harmed by one of them is far lower than the odds of having a gun stuck in your face at a Detroit gas station.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 12:17 AM

Quote:
The most famous pastor in Detroit was beaten and robbed at a Detroit gas station in broad daylight. He's black, his family is music royalty, they are worth millions of dollars, everybody in Detroit knows his name, and yet that still happened to him.
K? Lots of high standing people have been victims of violent crime in pretty much all big US cities.

Quote:
I live in a very big city with plenty of mentally ill people walking the street. The odds of being seriously harmed by one of them is far lower than the odds of having a gun stuck in your face at a Detroit gas station.
Sounds like this is an opinion of yours. Don't get gas at 3AM in a Detroit ghetto then. Sounds pretty easy to avoid.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 2:08 AM

As we all know, crime in detroit only happens at 3 am. Its very safe otherwise.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Sounds like this is an opinion of yours. Don't get gas at 3AM in a Detroit ghetto then. Sounds pretty easy to avoid.
You completely missed the point about one of the most famous people in Detroit getting robbed and beaten in broad daylight, huh? Have you ever had a productive conversation in your life? lol

I love Detroit but let's be serious. There is danger in the city that is not solely limited to wars between drug dealers. Downtown Detroit is probably as safe as anywhere in the country, but you're not being serious if you can't acknowledge that Detroit has had serious safety issues at gas stations and other places outside of downtown. And it's way more serious than what you'd find in just about any part of San Francisco.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 8:50 PM

2023 May Have Been The Safest Year Ever Recorded In Miami
https://www.thenextmiami.com/2023-ma...rded-in-miami/

"There were just 31 homicides recorded during the entire year, compared to 52 in 2022. It is the lowest since records began in 1947.

By comparison, Miami saw over 200 homicides in 1980 despite having a much smaller population then."

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
2023 May Have Been The Safest Year Ever Recorded In Miami
https://www.thenextmiami.com/2023-ma...rded-in-miami/

"There were just 31 homicides recorded during the entire year, compared to 52 in 2022. It is the lowest since records began in 1947.

By comparison, Miami saw over 200 homicides in 1980 despite having a much smaller population then."
Yea, thats being looked at. That mayor lies his ass off for "tourism" dollars. The real count I saw was 55.

The thing Miami does often, and I saw this for myself when working with the city, is they either 1. Classify certain homicides as "justified" 2. Transfer them from city of Miami police to MDPD, thus artificially reducing their numbers (even though it happened within city limits) 3. They just flat out don't count them Today's news will put them at 7/100K, which is "low" but they're skweing numbers as usual. They're really at 11-13/100K

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...023-a-201.html

Hes a corrupt moron.
Being how Florida got caught not reporting 40 percent of its crime to the FBI, you'd think they try to be more honest. But, no. The FBI has basically stated we dont believe these numbers, so we will just ignore them and wont compare to other states.

Last edited by LA21st; Jan 16, 2024 at 11:25 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 5:15 PM

I almost don't want to write this because I don't want to jinx it.

Philly is at 15 thus far this year. Down from 23 last year at this time and 34 the same time 2 years ago. That's a decrease of 35% YOY.

Fingers crossed the trend continues.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 5:19 PM

Quote:
You've apparently never been to New Orleans. New Orleans (though I love it) is the only city I've been in where I've felt unsafe and a target even in very nice areas. It is absolutely a place where you have to be on guard everywhere.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I almost don't want to write this because I don't want to jinx it.

Philly is at 15 thus far this year. Down from 23 last year at this time and 34 the same time 2 years ago. That's a decrease of 35% YOY.

Fingers crossed the trend continues.

10 years of data is a trend. Not one year, let alone a month.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
What an odd feeling. As a visitor you are not at all likely to be randomly attacked by a homeless person in San Francisco, just as I am not at all likely to be randomly gunned down while visiting Philadelphia.

Do you also feel it is more likely that 20 angels can dance on the head of a pin than 30 angels?
well, in December i had a drugged-out homeless guy pee at me while walking up Hyde from the Civic Center BART station to my hotel.

this is just an anecdote, of course, but i had not been to SF since 2016 and it does feel like the situation has gotten significantly worse in the Tenderloin, around the Civic Center, and up and down Market. i didn't feel unsafe walking around during the day (though it wasn't exactly pleasant dodging piles of human feces all over the place), but i was more hesitant to walk around after dark. and it was on my mind that one of them might come at me if i made eye contact or didn't respond appropriately to their demands. had one guy approach me wanting to shine my tennis shoes, and then chewed me out when i declined.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 12:49 PM
devout Pizzatarian

While you shouldn't put too much stock in a month's worth of data, the overall trend here is still good.

Chicago homicides through January:

2024: 31
2023: 42
2022: 49
2021: 57

Down nearly 50% from the unrelenting shit show that was 2021.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 6:02 PM

São Paulo state reaches the lowest murder rate ever: 5.72 homicides/100,000 inh.

There were 2,606 homicides on the state. In 2000, there 12,475 homicides for a 33.7 homicides/100,000 inh.

In São Paulo capital, there were 481 homicides for a 4.1/100,00 rate (!!!). The city had reached 40/100,000 by the late 1990's. It's now below New York City and had registered less absolute murders than Chicago, a city with less than one 1/4 of SP population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Thanks for putting the list together, SIGSEGV!

I thought I would re-organize the list in by the numbers, starting from smallest to highest rates, so we can visualize this a little differently:

Boise 1.70 +/- 0.85 (2022: 1.27 +/- 0.73 ; +33.3%)
San Diego* 3.39 +/- 0.52 (2022: 3.62 +/- 0.53 ; -6.5%)
San Jose 3.55 +/- 0.59 (2022: 3.45 +/- 0.58 ; +2.9%)
New York 4.38 +/- 0.22 (2022: 4.97 +/- 0.24 ; -11.9%)
Virginia Beach* 5.22 +/- 1.09 (2022: 4.99 +/- 1.06 ; +4.5%)
Long Beach* 5.39 +/- 1.12 (2022: 7.96 +/- 1.37 ; -32.4%)
Boston 5.48 +/- 0.90 (2022: 5.92 +/- 0.94 ; -7.5%)
El Paso 5.60 +/- 0.91 (2022: 3.39 +/- 0.71 ; +65.2%)
Omaha 5.76 +/- 1.09 (2022: 6.17 +/- 1.13 ; -6.7%)
San Francisco 6.18 +/- 0.84 (2022: 6.41 +/- 0.86 ; -3.6%)
Fresno* 6.29 +/- 1.08 (2022: 11.10 +/- 1.43 ; -43.3%)
Honolulu 6.55 +/- 1.37 (2022: 7.12 +/- 1.42 ; -8.0%)
Austin* 6.82 +/- 0.88 (2022: 6.93 +/- 0.89 ; -1.6%)
Providence* 7.08 +/- 1.96 (2022: 3.81 +/- 1.44 ; +85.7%)
Salt Lake City* 7.66 +/- 1.98 (2022: 8.17 +/- 2.04 ; -6.2%)
Lexington 7.75 +/- 1.55 (2022: 13.64 +/- 2.06 ; -43.2%)
Reno* 7.86 +/- 1.80 (2022: 7.45 +/- 1.76 ; +5.6%)
Los Angeles* 8.41 +/- 0.47 (2022: 10.06 +/- 0.51 ; -16.4%)
Seattle* 8.90 +/- 1.15 (2022: 7.41 +/- 1.05 ; +20.0%)

St. Paul 10.27 +/- 1.82 (2022: 12.84 +/- 2.03 ; -20.0%)
Denver 10.62 +/- 1.22 (2022: 11.18 +/- 1.25 ; -5.0%)
Tucson 10.69 +/- 1.40 (2022: 12.90 +/- 1.54 ; -17.1%)
Charlotte 10.75 +/- 1.11 (2022: 12.23 +/- 1.18 ; -12.1%)
San Antonio 11.08 +/- 0.88 (2022: 16.17 +/- 1.06 ; -31.5%)
Portland 11.34 +/- 1.32 (2022: 14.71 +/- 1.50 ; -22.9%)
Grand Rapids 11.56 +/- 2.41 (2022: 10.56 +/- 2.30 ; +9.5%)
Tulsa 11.62 +/- 1.68 (2022: 16.70 +/- 2.01 ; -30.4%)
Phoenix* 11.82 +/- 0.90 (2022: 13.79 +/- 0.97 ; -14.3%)
Jacksonville 13.27 +/- 1.18 (2022: 14.22 +/- 1.22 ; -6.7%
Akron* 13.77 +/- 2.81 (2022: 21.23 +/- 3.49 ; -35.1%)
Stockton* 13.97 +/- 2.18 (2022: 15.33 +/- 2.29 ; -8.9%)
Buffalo 14.01 +/- 2.24 (2022: 25.51 +/- 3.03 ; -45.1%)
Tacoma 14.13 +/- 2.54 (2022: 18.69 +/- 2.92 ; -24.4%)
Houston* 15.21 +/- 0.83 (2022: 19.16 +/- 0.93 ; -20.6%)
Newark 15.25 +/- 2.22 (2022: 16.55 +/- 2.32 ; -7.8%)
Syracuse* 15.78 +/- 3.29 (2022: 12.35 +/- 2.91 ; +27.8%)
Pittsburgh 15.84 +/- 2.29 (2022: 23.43 +/- 2.78 ; -32.4%)
Nashville* 15.85 +/- 1.52 (2022: 15.85 +/- 1.52 ; 0.0%)
Toledo* 16.05 +/- 2.45 (2022: 24.26 +/- 3.01 ; -33.8%)
Columbus 16.34 +/- 1.34 (2022: 15.46 +/- 1.31 ; +5.7%)
Minneapolis 16.75 +/- 1.97 (2022: 18.37 +/- 2.07 ; -8.9%)
Mobile* 16.76 +/- 3.01 (2022: 22.16 +/- 3.46 ; -24.4%)
Albuquerque 17.18 +/- 1.74 (2022: 21.43 +/- 1.95 ; -19.8%)
Durham* 17.33 +/- 2.48 (2022: 15.21 +/- 2.32 ; +14.0%)
Norfolk 17.65 +/- 2.72 (2022: 26.47 +/- 3.33 ; -33.3%)
Dallas 18.86 +/- 1.20 (2022: 16.41 +/- 1.12 ; +15.0%)
Savannah 18.95 +/- 3.58 (2022: 21.65 +/- 3.83 ; -12.5%)
Indianapolis 19.26 +/- 1.47 (2022: 23.77 +/- 1.64 ; -19.0%)
Winston-Salem* 19.27 +/- 2.90 (2022: 14.45 +/- 2.52 ; +33.3%)

Chicago 22.47 +/- 0.90 (2022: 25.82 +/- 0.97 ; -13.0%)
Cincinnati 22.63 +/- 2.70 (2022: 26.83 +/- 2.95 ; -15.7%)
Philadelphia 23.88 +/- 1.22 (2022: 31.80 +/- 1.41 ; -24.9%)
Newport News 24.16 +/- 3.60 (2022: 16.64 +/- 2.99 ; +45.2%)
Greensboro 24.75 +/- 2.88 (2022: 14.05 +/- 2.17 ; +76.2%)
Atlanta 26.67 +/- 2.31 (2022: 34.29 +/- 2.62 ; -22.2%)
Rochester 26.97 +/- 3.57 (2022: 35.49 +/- 4.10 ; -24.0%)
Oakland 27.23 +/- 2.49 (2022: 27.23 +/- 2.49 ; 0.0%)
Richmond (VA) 27.80 +/- 3.50 (2022: 26.04 +/- 3.39 ; +6.8%)
San Juan* 28.35 +/- 3.07 (2022: 39.69 +/- 3.64 ; -28.6%)
Milwaukee 29.28 +/- 2.25 (2022: 37.25 +/- 2.54 ; -21.4%)

Little Rock 31.10 +/- 3.92 (2022: 39.98 +/- 4.44 ; -22.2%)
Baton Rouge* 34.16 +/- 3.92 (2022: 42.70 +/- 4.38 ; -20.0%)
Kansas City (MO) 35.82 +/- 2.66 (2022: 33.46 +/- 2.57 ; +7.1%)
Detroit 39.43 +/- 2.48 (2022: 48.19 +/- 2.75 ; -18.2%)
Louisville* 39.53 +/- 3.23 (2022: 43.22 +/- 3.37 ; -8.5%)
Shreveport* 39.61 +/- 4.80 (2022: 26.21 +/- 3.91 ; +51.1%)
Washington, DC 39.74 +/- 2.40 (2022: 29.15 +/- 2.06 ; +36.3%)

Cleveland 41.33 +/- 3.33 (2022: 41.60 +/- 3.34 ; -0.6%)
Baltimore* 44.34 +/- 2.76 (2022: 57.70 +/- 3.14 ; -23.1%)

New Orleans 50.26 +/- 3.62 (2022: 69.27 +/- 4.25 ; -27.4%)
St. Louis 52.39 +/- 4.17 (2022: 66.32 +/- 4.69 ; -21.0%)
Memphis 53.86 +/- 2.92 (2022: 42.49 +/- 2.59 ; +26.8%)

Birmingham 62.77 +/- 5.59 (2022: 67.25 +/- 5.79 ; -6.7%)

Jackson (MS) 76.77 +/- 7.07 (2022: 89.78 +/- 7.64 ; -14.5%)
What happens to Kansas City? We only hear good things from there and they have very big city limits, including several suburban areas.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 10:30 PM

Philadelphia through January:

2024 - 24
2023 - 30
2022 - 44
2021 - 50
2020 - 38
2019 - 27

Seems to be heading back in the right direction so far.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 11:12 PM

Los Angeles, through January 27:

2024: 17
2023: 18
2022: 32

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 11:23 PM
你的媽媽

San Francisco, through January 28:

2024: 3
2023: 4
2022: 3
2021: 2
2020: 3
2019: 4

No significant change. SF continues to be one of the safest big cities in the US.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions