HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
No windows?
There is two large windows facing Farmer. If you look at the rendering, there is a movable structure that can cover or uncover the windows. This is similar to the ones they have for the first phase of the project. It is designed to allow light in, but also block off direct sunlight when needed. I don't believe there will be windows in the first floor, since the area along Farmer at ground level is taken up by the main passageway between the phases and some covered parking spots under the new structure.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 10:48 PM

Question. If a second tower for the HUB is entitled, where is it exactly going to go on the site? It appears there are two ingress egress corridors for cars going to the swim center and the parking garage. I have heard articles stating different locations for the expansion. Im assuming at build out the towers will form a "C" shape?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Question. If a second tower for the HUB is entitled, where is it exactly going to go on the site? It appears there are two ingress egress corridors for cars going to the swim center and the parking garage. I have heard articles stating different locations for the expansion. Im assuming at build out the towers will form a "C" shape?
From the little I have seen, the tower will be built on the little parking lot on the east side of the parking garage. It would not make a perfect "C", since it is not going to attach to the existing building. My guess is that it will attach to the pool and amenities floor through one of the stairs (which will probably be expanded for the rest of the tower. They might also tear down some of the parapet planters on that level to create a better connection between it and the pool area.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Directly to the eat of University House (The Hub). There is still a lot next to the parking structure/pool deck where a tall, more slender building can be built and they could leave the access road to the ASU parking structure from Veterans. Or, if the building is built and the access road is no longer there, the 6th Street entrance/exit would become the only access point from that side of the structure.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
Directly to the eat of University House (The Hub). There is still a lot next to the parking structure/pool deck where a tall, more slender building can be built and they could leave the access road to the ASU parking structure from Veterans. Or, if the building is built and the access road is no longer there, the 6th Street entrance/exit would become the only access point from that side of the structure.
That access road is staying, since it is not within their property. It will be a slender tower, although there is much more room there than one might perceive. A tower as wide as one of the existing wings fits in that slot. My guess is that it will be a similar idea of a single hallway with units on either side of it.

What I am wondering the most about is how they will solve the first 4 levels of the building. Are they going to expand the parking garage? (not very likely considering its current layout). Is someone going to have windows facing the block wall of the garage? (Would be really awful). Or will the western half of the building be left open to keep part of the parking garage with large columns supporting the three floor tall space? (It might look good if well designed).

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
That access road is staying, since it is not within their property. It will be a slender tower, although there is much more room there than one might perceive. A tower as wide as one of the existing wings fits in that slot. My guess is that it will be a similar idea of a single hallway with units on either side of it.

What I am wondering the most about is how they will solve the first 4 levels of the building. Are they going to expand the parking garage? (not very likely considering its current layout). Is someone going to have windows facing the block wall of the garage? (Would be really awful). Or will the western half of the building be left open to keep part of the parking garage with large columns supporting the three floor tall space? (It might look good if well designed).
I'm thinking the first 4 levels will include a large atrium/lobby area like The Hub in which the 1st Floor is actually 2 floors. The 3rd and 4th level will probably include amenities like reading rooms, a gym, entertainment center, etc. In this layout windows facing Veterans, 6th and the access road would only be necessary with a solid wall against the garage walls.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking the first 4 levels will include a large atrium/lobby area like The Hub in which the 1st Floor is actually 2 floors. The 3rd and 4th level will probably include amenities like reading rooms, a gym, entertainment center, etc. In this layout windows facing Veterans, 6th and the access road would only be necessary with a solid wall against the garage walls.
My guess is that there won't be a new gym. The gym for the first phase is quite large, and I am sure that the owners plan on having this half be only residential.

An atrium is a must, since that second floor is practically a half floor. The floor to ceiling height in the garage is much smaller than the heights within the buildings. To accommodate this, the first and third floors match, while the second and fourth floors are off. This allows for all of the extra structure on that pool area to match the building (above the actual deck there probably is a large layer of foam insulation, then another layer of concrete, and above that the paving).

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 1:13 AM

Quote:
My guess is that there won't be a new gym. The gym for the first phase is quite large, and I am sure that the owners plan on having this half be only residential.

An atrium is a must, since that second floor is practically a half floor. The floor to ceiling height in the garage is much smaller than the heights within the buildings. To accommodate this, the first and third floors match, while the second and fourth floors are off. This allows for all of the extra structure on that pool area to match the building (above the actual deck there probably is a large layer of foam insulation, then another layer of concrete, and above that the paving).
Interesting notes on the way the floors are constructed. I could be wrong, but I think a second gym makes sense since it is convenient. One gym for that many residents doesn't make much sense even if it is rather large. A second gym in this large of a project wouldn't surprise me; even if the second gym is smaller.

Roosevelt Point has 2 of everything: 2 pools, 2 lobby areas, 2 entertainment centers, and 2 gyms. Even though RoPo is slightly larger in terms of number of units (269 to 326), University House will have more residents (630 to 609). When the second tower is built University House will be much larger in both measures.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
Is this a shade structure along Orange and Cady malls? I'd like to see what the finished product is.
It covers the area around Cady Fountain/ MU Fountain/ whatever else anyone calls it and over the Pringles shade structure/ MU North Stage in front of the MU north entrance/patio area.

Speaking of solar installations here's a photo of Farrington Stadium (softball)

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Interesting notes on the way the floors are constructed. I could be wrong, but I think a second gym makes sense since it is convenient. One gym for that many residents doesn't make much sense even if it is rather large. A second gym in this large of a project wouldn't surprise me; even if the second gym is smaller.

Roosevelt Point has 2 of everything: 2 pools, 2 lobby areas, 2 entertainment centers, and 2 gyms. Even though RoPo is slightly larger in terms of number of units (269 to 326), University House will have more residents (630 to 609). When the second tower is built University House will be much larger in both measures.
Indeed, I'm not saying it is a bad idea, but I believe that the owner intends to share the amenities areas.

As for RoPo, it is true there is two of everything, although I wouldn't say they are the same. RoPo are two different buildings, with a street in between them. It would be kinda sucky to have to walk across to go to the pool. That being said, their amenities are a lot smaller. Both of their gyms combined might be half of University House. And the pool on the north building is really small. I'm a bigger fan of the downtown project overall, since I think it has a lot better quality of finishes, but the amenities area in UH is perhaps its best selling point, and probably one of the main reasons the new owner bought the place.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Indeed, I'm not saying it is a bad idea, but I believe that the owner intends to share the amenities areas.

As for RoPo, it is true there is two of everything, although I wouldn't say they are the same. RoPo are two different buildings, with a street in between them. It would be kinda sucky to have to walk across to go to the pool. That being said, their amenities are a lot smaller. Both of their gyms combined might be half of University House. And the pool on the north building is really small. I'm a bigger fan of the downtown project overall, since I think it has a lot better quality of finishes, but the amenities area in UH is perhaps its best selling point, and probably one of the main reasons the new owner bought the place.
Those I have spoken to about the project haven't mentioned any designs at this point. I'm merely speaking on conjecture but I could see more amenities added. So I am still going to have to disagree with you.

University House could easily be updated but I can't get over those carpets! Whomever they hired to do their interior design dropped the ball there. I'm thinking they got those carpets at a huge discount.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 4:36 AM

How many people are in Roosevelt Square in downtown Phoenix? They only had one small gym and a small pool even though there were three buildings.

Last edited by nickw252; Aug 20, 2013 at 5:36 AM. Reason: Corrected to say RooseveltSquare instead of Portland Place

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
How many people are in Portland Place in downtown Phoenix? They only had one small gym and a small pool even though there were three buildings.
Portland Place doesn't have too many residents. I believe less than 60 condos in all three buildings. The main, 6 story building has 54 units.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 4:56 AM

Quote:
How many people are in Portland Place in downtown Phoenix? They only had one small gym and a small pool even though there were three buildings.
It also has to do with who they are marketing the project to. For young professionals or other downtowners, a small pool and small gym is perfect. But for students, a huge pool and a big gym really sells. The amenities area at University House is crazy; they have a sauna, tanning bed rooms, cardio and yoga rooms, weights area, a full size sand volley ball court, a big pool, another "kiddie" pool for sunbathing, etc. It about selling this study/play life-style. A lot more emphasis on the play part of course.

As I said before, you don't have to be a student to live in these, but they are designed to be huge magnets for them, and these amenities areas are some of the key pieces. I feel like RoPo is a bit in between. It has pretty great amenities but doesn't go overboard. It was built with the knowledge that a lot more than students will want to live there. UH is perhaps built with the least intention of trying to be mixed. Its small rooms with hideous carpets are the best example, anyone who is not in college would sprint away from that monstrosity.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 5:09 AM

Quote:
It also has to do with who they are marketing the project to. For young professionals or other downtowners, a small pool and small gym is perfect. But for students, a huge pool and a big gym really sells. The amenities area at University House is crazy; they have a sauna, tanning bed rooms, cardio and yoga rooms, weights area, a full size sand volley ball court, a big pool, another "kiddie" pool for sunbathing, etc. It about selling this study/play life-style. A lot more emphasis on the play part of course.

As I said before, you don't have to be a student to live in these, but they are designed to be huge magnets for them, and these amenities areas are some of the key pieces. I feel like RoPo is a bit in between. It has pretty great amenities but doesn't go overboard. It was built with the knowledge that a lot more than students will want to live there. UH is perhaps built with the least intention of trying to be mixed. Its small rooms with hideous carpets are the best example, anyone who is not in college would sprint away from that monstrosity.
Very true Arquitect. Now that I think about it, nickw may have been asking about Roosevelt Square, a building I lived in when I first moved to Phoenix. When I first moved here, which was 4 years ago, downtown Phoenix didn't have much to choose from. Now, with new developments offering hotel-like amenities, the competition will only improve on these aspects. CityScape residents will have access to Palomar's hotel amenities.

Roosevelt Square is large, I believe there are over 400 units but you must also consider when they were built. I believe Roosevelt Square opened in the late 90s or early 2000s and expectations when it came to spa-like amenities were lower then. Roosevelt Square is still a great looking place but many of the units are looking dated when it comes to the the interior of the apartments. I wonder if they have been upgrading the apartments or will be soon?

http://www.rooseveltsquareapts.com/#1-bed-1-bath-55

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Very true Arquitect. Now that I think about it, nickw may have been asking about Roosevelt Square, a building I lived in when I first moved to Phoenix. When I first moved here, which was 4 years ago, downtown Phoenix didn't have much to choose from. Now, with new developments offering hotel-like amenities, the competition will only improve on these aspects. CityScape residents will have access to Palomar's hotel amenities.

Roosevelt Square is large, I believe there are over 400 units but you must also consider when they were built. I believe Roosevelt Square opened in the late 90s or early 2000s and expectations when it came to spa-like amenities were lower then. Roosevelt Square is still a great looking place but many of the units are looking dated when it comes to the the interior of the apartments. I wonder if they have been upgrading the apartments or will be soon?

http://www.rooseveltsquareapts.com/#1-bed-1-bath-55
I do know that the apartment over Palomar will also have their own pool and gym. This area is on the level right above the hotel. That pool is going to be really awesome too. It cantilevers slightly over Jefferson, and will have some spectacular views of Luhrs, South Mountain, and the sports arenas. I think I might prefer it to the hotel's.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Now that I think about it, nickw may have been asking about Roosevelt Square, a building I lived in when I first moved to Phoenix.
You're right, thanks for the correction. I too used to live there, I definitely should have known the name!

And I think your analysis is right also. Expectations were lower a decade ago, and they are marketing toward young professionals instead of college age students who are more concerned with amenities.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 5:50 AM

Quote:
You're right, thanks for the correction. I too used to live there, I definitely should have known the name!

And I think your analysis is right also. Expectations were lower a decade ago, and they are marketing toward young professionals instead of college age students who are more concerned with amenities.
You can really see that shift in Tempe, even in the past few years. The Vue had a pretty large pool area, and gym. But now right across the street, The District has not only a pool, but a lazy river, a golf simulator similar to what the pro's use to train, tanning beds, and all kinds of crazy stuff that would have seemed ridiculously luxurious 10 years ago. Now, if you don't have these, you can't compete within the student market.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 4:31 PM

Farrington Solar

Need closer picture but it looks from that angle like foul ball softballs could hit the panels. Gotta believe they are smarter then that or the solar panels are lexan or something unbreakable.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
Need closer picture but it looks from that angle like foul ball softballs could hit the panels. Gotta believe they are smarter then that or the solar panels are lexan or something unbreakable.
The panels only extend over the stands, not over the field itself. Only balls that will hit it are foul balls.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest