HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 6:26 PM

Thanks! Should have the second part up soon, but I have to finish my comp papers first.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
I was going to post that here... I agree with pretty much everything you mentioned

Once regional connector is operational, the junction is going to be a major problem so the sooner it is put underground the better.
I think the concept of having a junction at all is flawed, especially because the underground junction in Little Tokyo will be no better than the one in Historic South Central. Imagine the entirety of the Central LA Metro system entirely redesigned to eliminate all interlining, like this:

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 6:58 AM

Interlining should at least be acceptable for a light rail system.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 3:08 PM

Quote:
I think the concept of having a junction at all is flawed, especially because the underground junction in Little Tokyo will be no better than the one in Historic South Central.
Why exactly will it not be better?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMP View Post
Why exactly will it not be better?
Its a flat junction in which outbound Long Beach-Pasadena trains cross the path of inbound East LA-Santa Monica trains, and vice versa. Furthermore, if, after there are two Eastside Gold Line services, one turns north to Union Station, outbound trains will pass over both outbound Long Beach-Pasadena trains and inbound East LA-Santa Monica trains.

PS. I also think it is a good idea from a network perspective to send blue line trains up Alameda and WSAB trains across Downtown to South Park (and eventually west along Pico.)

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car(e)-Free LA View Post
Its a flat junction in which outbound Long Beach-Pasadena trains cross the path of inbound East LA-Santa Monica trains, and vice versa. Furthermore, if, after there are two Eastside Gold Line services, one turns north to Union Station, outbound trains will pass over both outbound Long Beach-Pasadena trains and inbound East LA-Santa Monica trains.

PS. I also think it is a good idea from a network perspective to send blue line trains up Alameda and WSAB trains across Downtown to South Park (and eventually west along Pico.)
If both lines share an elevated track for a couple of stations there will be opportunities for folks to simply transfer by getting off one train and waiting for the next one, much like passengers will do for Regional Connector if they are switching between SG Valley and Eastside lines.

The Opposite of PRO is CON, that fact is clearly seen.
If Progress means moves forward, then what does Congress mean?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightCONCEPT View Post
If both lines share an elevated track for a couple of stations there will be opportunities for folks to simply transfer by getting off one train and waiting for the next one, much like passengers will do for Regional Connector if they are switching between SG Valley and Eastside lines.
Are three parallel transfer points southeast of Downtown really better than one transfer point Southeast of Downtown.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car(e)-Free LA View Post
Are three parallel transfer points southeast of Downtown really better than one transfer point Southeast of Downtown.
Yes, so that you don't overload any one spot and you can spread the loading and transfer that is needed. Plus this is better for achieving Federal grants needed to build the project.

The Opposite of PRO is CON, that fact is clearly seen.
If Progress means moves forward, then what does Congress mean?

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 1:36 PM

Why don't they extend the Purple Line to Santa Monica? Is it less dense than Westwood?

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 1:49 PM
BANNED

No $$$

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmartman View Post
Why don't they extend the Purple Line to Santa Monica? Is it less dense than Westwood?
No money right now, though such an extension would add at least 20,000 daily riders. I expect it to be part of any future ballot measure in 2020 or 2024.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 4:29 PM
BANNED

I'd like to see it swing downwards and link up with expo eventually. Not sure how pie-in-the- sky that idea is though. (also at some level I'm assuming this will be accompanied with zoning changes)

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 5:27 PM

It would also be entering an area that is (somewhat) served by the Expo line, and so ridership could be less.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
I'd like to see it swing downwards and link up with expo eventually. Not sure how pie-in-the- sky that idea is though. (also at some level I'm assuming this will be accompanied with zoning changes)
There is no need for Purple line to transfer to Expo line. We will eventually have Sepulveda, Crenshaw, and Vermont line to facilitate transfers between Wilshire and Pico corridors, coincidentally, for Westside, Mid City, and near Downtown.

Zone fare or distance based fare is inevitable in LA once the system is build out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
It would also be entering an area that is (somewhat) served by the Expo line, and so ridership could be less.
Wilshire is a different corridor from Pico/Expo. There is very little overlap from ridership perspective. And besides, the EIR for the Purple line is already done so we know what the baseline ridership is likely to be (already quite high)... it will only get higher when the Sepulveda line comes to fruition.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 6:47 PM

Metrolink stations in El Monte, Commerce and Northridge could be on the move. New station at Rio Hondo College possibly in the works.

http://urbanize.la/post/metro-studie...-rail-stations

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 7:24 PM

Moving Metrolink stations closer to Metro stations in general is a great idea. Makes transfers that much easier. But I'm not really sure how they will put the station in the viaduct section... that's going to be expensive.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 3:40 AM
life is good

Long Beach to finally get Blue Line signal priority, 10 mins to be shaven between dtla and dtlb -

http://la.streetsblog.org/2017/05/09...beach-stretch/

when can we get this usc - dtla via expo also?

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Long Beach to finally get Blue Line signal priority, 10 mins to be shaven between dtla and dtlb -

http://la.streetsblog.org/2017/05/09...beach-stretch/

when can we get this usc - dtla via expo also?
Make that Western - DTLA. I don't think I've ever been on a train that DIDN't stop at Western

My question here though is how effective this new system will be. Apparently it's going to be "synchronization" instead of preemption. It seems to me that this is prone to fail, as trains inevitably get delayed/don't arrive exactly on schedule.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 12:43 AM
life is good

Nevermind

Last edited by Eightball; May 13, 2017 at 4:44 AM.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 12:54 AM

Climb inside the massive tunnel 60 feet below downtown L.A.

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-metro-tunneling/

Quote:
Ten weeks in and 60 feet beneath the streets of downtown Los Angeles, the miners have clawed through nearly 2,600 feet of earth.

At 5 a.m. on a cool Thursday morning, they gather in the construction yard for the start of another shift.

The moon, just starting to wane, hangs above the distant skyscrapers as the men stretch like athletes and huddle to hear the latest safety report...

In 2021, commuters will follow their steps, barreling through an S-shaped tunnel — the $1.75-billion Regional Connector project — 1.9 miles out of Little Tokyo, north to Bunker Hill and west to 7th and Flower streets, a transit corridor that will link Long Beach to Azusa and Santa Monica to East L.A.

Construction workers will lay almost a mile of that tunnel through a methodical excavation of Flower Street, building the subway and then rebuilding the street. The rest, however, is being dug the hard way.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation