HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 4:33 PM

looks like BHP decided to move

international mining giant BHP is relocating its headquarters to 50,000 square feet in a converted police station that had sat vacant for years.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Since we do not have an active Downtown Arena thread yet...

Has anyone else noticed Star Phoenix Murray Mandryck's personal crusade to get the downtown arena project dumped??!! He has published a series of 'opinion pieces' against the project and more recently as been encouraging citizens to initiate a plebiscite to force the arena decision to a vote. This has also resulted in a series of 'letters to the editor' supporting his views. His reporting has not been very balanced.

I am all for everyone expressing their opinions freely, but perhaps those of us who may actually support this kind of development for our city need to be a bit more vocal. As always....those that oppose, always seem to be the more motivated to be heard.

I would encourage supporters on here to, at minimum, remind your city councilor of your support and maybe submit a letter to the editor of Star Phoenix to balance out the opinions! I have!!
I think you are referring to Phil Tank, not Mandryck. Mandryck has some credibility as a journalist. Tank seems to solely spend his days trying to insight controversy and rage, whether he has to make things up or not.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
looks like BHP decided to move

international mining giant BHP is relocating its headquarters to 50,000 square feet in a converted police station that had sat vacant for years.
Ooooh, that is exciting. Any further details? Does that mean they are moving out of their 3rd Ave location? Or is this in addition to that space?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfgh View Post
I think you are referring to Phil Tank, not Mandryck. Mandryck has some credibility as a journalist. Tank seems to solely spend his days trying to insight controversy and rage, whether he has to make things up or not.
Thanks for the correction....you are absolutely right! My apologies to Mr. Mandryck.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfgh View Post
Ooooh, that is exciting. Any further details? Does that mean they are moving out of their 3rd Ave location? Or is this in addition to that space?
I would be surprised if they are leaving their current building, unless there are issues with it that we might not be aware of. My guess is that this is an expansion. I am happy for the developer of the Police Station....he took a risk and it has taken a while for that to pay off for him.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 5:01 PM

That's great news regarding BHP, unless they are simply relocating from their existing space. Hopefully this is an expansion in addition to the current location. Given the tailwinds in potash over the last twelve-months it wouldn't be a surprise to see BHP attempt to expedite construction of the Jansen mine. Unfortunately, this likely signals we won't see construction of a new downtown tower as a result of BHP's further investment in the province. BHP wouldn't have signed a lease in this building if they thought they'd need more space in a third location in just a few years.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 5:07 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Tough to argue that point. For similar major issues in the past, there have generally been well-organized oppositions.
I am all for public consultation, but there are many reasons why allowing the people to decide on arenas or freeways or other large public projects is problematic.

First, voter turnout in 2020 was 27%. It's generally true that turnout is strongest among older, retired voters. So if you ask a bunch of people who own their home and aren't likely to attend a Taylor Swift concert if they want a bunch of public money spent on an arena, they are likely to think "I won't use it but it's my tax money being spent; to hell with it!"

Second, the organization against projects is often much more fierce than organization for them. One obvious reason is because the mayor doesn't have time to spend all day on community Facebook pages lobbying for the project, but Barb down the street who is retired does. Another reason is because negativity is more attractive than positivity - just look at how social media algorithms have been tweaked to generate the strongest reactions which typically involves showing users something that makes them angry.

Third, most of the voting public does not have the expertise or interest to become fully informed about large projects. Just look at the library project. Many people online complain about how much they're going to have to pay for the new library "when I don't even read books!", when the library levy is actually only being increased by about $5 per year for the average homeowner which is hardly a significant cost. The arena will fall victim to the same half-baked critiques, whether about the funding model, a lack of parking, positive externalities (or a lack thereof), or even a lack of need ("just renovate the old barn").

So while I think the public should have input on design, location, amenities, etc., I do not think the public should make the final call on this project.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 5:27 PM

Well said FarmerHaight.

You expressed all my shared opinion far more eloquently then I could. Your reasons are the same as mine when it comes to hesitancy of a plebiscite over major public infrastructure projects.

BTW....I am one of those older, mortgage paid off citizens. However, I see the benefit to our city/province for investments like this and even if I may not see the kind of use of the facility that I would hope by the time it is done, I still see the huge benefit to the citizens. This is an investment in the future. (also, us old folks still like some current stuff....I go to lacrosse games and my wife and I still say PINK was our fave concert in the last few years...but we had to go to TO for that one! haha)

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I would be surprised if they are leaving their current building, unless there are issues with it that we might not be aware of. My guess is that this is an expansion. I am happy for the developer of the Police Station....he took a risk and it has taken a while for that to pay off for him.
I believe that this is simply an expansion. My info from BHP is that they're taking the 3rd & 4th floors of the River Quarry building, about 20,000 sqft per floor. The 4th floor will the the Integrated Operations Centre for the mine, while the 3rd floor will be offices. The fit out work is scheduled to start in fall of 2023.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 6:35 PM

That is good but this is from Western Investor

In Saskatoon, where office vacancies are 14.5 percent, international mining giant BHP is relocating its headquarters to 50,000 square feet in a converted police station that had sat vacant for years.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 6:38 PM

This is River Quarry size

Building size
Main Floor ±3,746 to 5,896 SF
Second Floor ±18,461 SF
Third Floor ±18,481 SF
Fourth Floor ±18,481 SF
Total ±64,020 SF

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 6:42 PM

If I remember right both Duchuk Holdings and North Prairie promised they could expand by adding towers next to existing buildings. Maybe they trust Duchuk more if they have to expand. Remember they will be selling their potash themselves not through Canpotex so maybe they need room for sales people eventually?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 9:09 AM

cool- nice snag by Duchuk, and yes, they have the parking lot right on da corner. There's renders of river quarry with a connection to the envisioned expansion, said to be a possible 20 story office bldg.

I thought BHP might be the ones looking at the 8fl office at the top of Broadway...

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 9:34 AM

wow! Granite curling club is closing down, remember playing there in high school, was a lot of fun. land value vs taxes vs membership? opening soon in Martensville? it could be a great place for housing for people who love to see where their beer is made

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskabusher View Post
cool- nice snag by Duchuk, and yes, they have the parking lot right on da corner. There's renders of river quarry with a connection to the envisioned expansion, said to be a possible 20 story office bldg.

I thought BHP might be the ones looking at the 8fl office at the top of Broadway...
Any chance you could post the render or provide a link? I’m intrigued!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 2:11 PM

More action on the arena/entertainment district front, the city is looking to buy three adjacent sites and they've shared a new rendering with the arena lining up east-west instead of north-south.

https://pub-saskatoon.escribemeeting...ab=attachments

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 2:35 PM

Smart move for the City to buy up whatever they can around the site.

https://pub-saskatoon.escribemeeting...ab=attachments

Last edited by Echoes; Dec 15, 2022 at 2:49 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 3:01 PM

Saskatoon Public Schools selling Pleasant Hill School to SaskBuilds, ahead of schedule

Rumoured to be the site for Saskatoon's new urgent care centre.

Fingers crossed for an adaptive re-use of the school building and integration with the new facility, but I'm not optimistic.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 3:08 PM

I see the ugly old YMCA is still nestled in among the new buildings!!!

I hope that the YMCA Board and the City can come to some kind of an agreement that benefits both in terms of a re-location to better become a core Leisure Facility. That would then free up that very valuable space if TCU is to expand.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2022, 7:13 PM

Regarding the arena, I found the firm that worked on the conceptual renders. They seem connected to Rogers Place work as well.

https://shugarmanarchitecture.com/ne...vent-district/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan