HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 9:08 PM
New Yorker for life

( June 3, 2013 )

www.432park.com

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 3:20 PM

One thing I do to figure whether I like a tall skyscraper or not is stand at the street corner and look up at it. If you do this, you will see what I mean. Tall buildings like ESB and Chrysler look very intimidating at that angle. This building will have a great intimidation factor. Even more so than the new WTC because it's taller and thinner which makes it look taller then it really is from the street looking up. Once it's completed, please try this and you will see what I mean. It will end up looking taller than 1400 ft from that angle.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 3:46 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: San Diego > Great Falls, MT > Denver > St. Louis > Providence, RI > Worcester, MA > Kunming, China > Bay Area > St. Louis > Seattle
^^^first time I ever visited Chicago I was 9 and did that with the sears.. definitely works. sorry to be off topic

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 3:47 PM

Looks like they may have "un-pealed" the protective covering on some of the glass panels in that last webcam shot.

Also, I wonder what schmuck is buying the lowest units in this building for untold millions? Yeah, I'm not going to pay millions for a view of some brick wall regardless of how rich my upstairs neighbors are.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 4:23 PM

I understand the lower floors will be for services and amenities as well as for small apartments for the "staff". Someone needs to swing by the site and look at those windows---and post---are they flush with the exterior? do they gave a frame? what color is the glass? Thanks in advance........

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 7:39 PM

Even though I believe that a lesser height (360m) would have helped this tower to blend in the midtown's skyline, one has to admit that thanks to it, it will change NYC forever.
It will be a visual shock to look at it from the street. Can't wait to see it rise above the surrounding forest.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 10:05 PM
Imster

This tower will look amazing due to its narrow aperture. I cant believe it will be taller to the roof than WTC1 - may as well go taller!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 12:03 AM

I originally despised this tower for its lack of creativity in terms of architectural design, or lack thereof. However, I've warmed up to it because it IS a skyscraper lover's dream. It reminds me of the LEGO towers I would build in my living room - very basic, conserving all your pieces in the bucket so that you can build as high as you can. Gotta love it. I truly believe this building was transplanted from my childhood living room into the Manhattan skyline. Crazy.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
^^^first time I ever visited Chicago I was 9 and did that with the sears.. definitely works. sorry to be off topic
Actually, we visited Chicago last 10 years ago and we went on the top at John Hancock Center, but we didn't go on the top at Sears Tower.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I originally despised this tower for its lack of creativity in terms of architectural design, or lack thereof. However, I've warmed up to it because it IS a skyscraper lover's dream. It reminds me of the LEGO towers I would build in my living room - very basic, conserving all your pieces in the bucket so that you can build as high as you can. Gotta love it. I truly believe this building was transplanted from my childhood living room into the Manhattan skyline. Crazy.
i can relate to this. i also did it with Lincoln Logs and Kenners girders too. check out that display at The Museum of the city of New York, sorry to go off topic

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Also, I wonder what schmuck is buying the lowest units in this building for untold millions? Yeah, I'm not going to pay millions for a view of some brick wall regardless of how rich my upstairs neighbors are.
A large proportion of buyers don't rank views at the top of their list. Most of the best Manhattan buildings are not really known for their views.

Also remember that real estate is an investment. If someone buys for $10 million and sells for $20 million, they've done very well, regardless of whether their view is spectacular or nothing.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
( June 3, 2013 )
I wonder what they're going to do about the newly exposed side of 450 Park. It's a beautiful building in its own right. I'd love them to complete the facade with matching windows.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheadroom View Post
I wonder what they're going to do about the newly exposed side of 450 Park. It's a beautiful building in its own right. I'd love them to complete the facade with matching windows.
I was wondering about that too! Isn't there some architectural term for a wall painted to look like it has windows, shutters, etc. on it in 3-d? They should do that with 450 Park.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidinasia View Post
I was wondering about that too! Isn't there some architectural term for a wall painted to look like it has windows, shutters, etc. on it in 3-d? They should do that with 450 Park.
There are a number of things they could do, they might be able to add windows which would be the most ideal look wise but costly. At worst I am sure it will get repainted so its not an eye sore.

Also...core has been lifted, crane on the 56th side has been raised and some of the exterior form work has already went up looking to be a very active day on site

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 4:40 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidinasia View Post
Trompe-l'œil

Quote:
Trompe l'oeil,[1] is an art technique involving realistic imagery in order to create the optical illusion that the depicted objects exist in three dimensions.

I would expect actual windows to be added whenever the building (450 Park) gets it's next major renovation.

Last edited by scalziand; Jun 6, 2013 at 4:54 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 5:19 PM

And floor 12 begins. 250' above the main entrance.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 5:35 PM
JACKinBeantown

I think they actually just raised to forms to work on the columns for floor 11 (what looks like the 16th floor). Is this correct?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I think they actually just raised to forms to work on the columns for floor 11 (what looks like the 16th floor). Is this correct?
Yes they have poured floor 11 and the rebar for the columns are going in that takes us up to the elevation of floor 12 along with the forms.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 7:02 PM
JACKinBeantown

Ah... thanks. I'm not in NYC anymore (hence the change to my name) so I can only see what's on the forum or the webcam. It's been a while since someone posted a photo showing all the floors at once. babybackribs2314 did, but it's small and I can't tell if I can see the bottom window level or not, or the top floor of the forms. Can someone please post an all-encompassing photo large enough to really look at sometime soon?

Are the floors/levels where the netting is farther in at window levels 7 & 8 (not floors 7 & 8)?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 5:39 AM

Man 432 is even thinner in person this building is going to absolutely huge when finished, here is a quick video clip i made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmB4x...ature=youtu.be

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive