HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 3:22 PM

Living Planet Aquarium grand opening delayed by construction

I think we saw this coming..

Living Planet Aquarium grand opening delayed by construction

Quote:
The 136,000-square-foot building on Lone Peak Parkway isn't filled with the marine life and field-tripping elementary school students expected to be there by now.

The Loveland Living Planet Aquarium representatives hoped the Draper facility would be up and running by the end of December, but the project has been plagued with delays and setbacks.

Now the organization is in "extreme financial hardship," according to a statement from Brent Andersen, founder and CEO of the aquarium.

In September, the Sandy location closed, and much of the marine life was moved to a temporary location in a warehouse. Early construction schedules projected opening dates ranging from early December to Dec. 21.
Quote:
Broadbent said the aquarium is getting close to completion but as of now has "no solid opening date."
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=28431546&nid...cid=featured-2

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 6:31 PM

Why did they close their Sandy location in Sept.? No wonder they're in financial distress... I understand they can't just move everything over and re-open overnight at a new location, but no ticket revenue since last year and paying to store all the animals seems like a terrible idea.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 7:11 PM

Everything they've done regarding this Aquarium has been a terrible idea. If it fails completely, I won't be the least bit surprised, and in a spiteful way, not too disappointed either.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 7:25 PM
BANNED

I thought having an aquarium in Draper was a bad idea in the first place. I understand that Draper did things to get it, but still I thought downtown SLC would've been a better location.

So we go from having an aquarium to not having one...awesome!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 8:12 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
Why did they close their Sandy location in Sept.? No wonder they're in financial distress... I understand they can't just move everything over and re-open overnight at a new location, but no ticket revenue since last year and paying to store all the animals seems like a terrible idea.
I'm sure who ever owns the old Sandy building wanted to rent it out long term, not just month by month until the new building opens.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Everything they've done regarding this Aquarium has been a terrible idea. If it fails completely, I won't be the least bit surprised, and in a spiteful way, not too disappointed either.
Couldn't agree more.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 1:47 AM
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.

I agree with Plaid Shirts. Draper was a bad idea. An aquarium downtown would have been awesome. Many other cities I've been to have have aquariums in their downtowns.

..... Although now that I think about it, I don't really like aquariums.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 7:35 PM

SLC didn't want it

The aquarium initially attempted to build in Salt Lake City but I forget all the reasons but It didn't work out.. They had a corner by 5th south for the longest time but there was an issue with financing. I heard they became very successful in Sandy and I think Draper will be okay. If SLC wanted it they has years of opportunity and its just as easy to get kids by bus to draper than to SLC

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 7:47 PM

The reason that the aquarium didn't build in SLC is that the aquarium board wanted SLC to pay for 75% of the costs via the RDA as well as to provide many other perks specific to the aquarium.

SLC offered to pay for the land and offered some money to the construction but in total it only amounted for around 25% of the total costs and that wasn't enough for them so they started to shop around.

Sandy said they would help with funds and even got them for a while. They again asked for more money from Sandy and the city couldn't do it as the recession was fully starting.

Draper then stepped up to the plate and offered them land, money, construction cost rebates, tax rebates and other rebates to get them to build in Draper.

I do feel that even the Draper location won't be good for the aquarium in the long run and would expect to start hearing about needing another location in the next 10 years or so. Partially due to the lack of patronage from the location and the other because they just can't seem to be smart about money.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapernerd View Post
If SLC wanted it they has years of opportunity and its just as easy to get kids by bus to draper than to SLC
That's obviously not the point. Field trips are far from the only source of visitation that the aquarium will receive. By placing it in an exceedingly transit- and bicycle-averse location far from the city center, you're basically guaranteeing that 99.9% of visitors will be arriving by car. It's sad that businesses still do this in 2014.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 12:37 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountyLemonade View Post
That's obviously not the point. Field trips are far from the only source of visitation that the aquarium will receive. By placing it in an exceedingly transit- and bicycle-averse location far from the city center, you're basically guaranteeing that 99.9% of visitors will be arriving by car. It's sad that businesses still do this in 2014.
And maybe 0.01% from tourist that just happen upon it. That has been my biggest problem with the suburban location all along. Suburbs or downtown will work for school field trips, but how many OR attendees would venture out to Draper to see it. I'm going to go out on a limb and say maybe a couple of dozen, and only because they are staying nearby, whereas if it was located downtown, many more would most likely attend, and I'm sure many more private convention related events, would occur there.

The owners have been very short sighted the entire time. That 25% that SLC was willing to provide, may have easily been made up for by tourists and conventioneers that are downtown. I've shared the story before, but when I was in Philadelphia for an APA convention, me and several of my classmates attended an event at the Delaware Aquarium, which was right across the river from Downtown Philly and about a 10 minute bus ride, not to mention a fantastic view of downtown Philly. We wouldn't have attended if it had been out in the burbs.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 10:30 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

The fun dome is not being demolished.. It is being severely altered though.

Here's a website with info and renderings... It's going to be a school

http://aisutah.org/?page_id=113

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 10:46 PM
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.

I hate these glass pillars.

This will be a nice change.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 12:03 AM

That is a nice change for the better.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 4:50 AM

I can appreciate the change. I just wonder what the layout is going to be like. That place was huge. They had the bowling, miniature golf, and even that 3rd theater. And what of the HUGE parking? That is a lot of parking.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 10:05 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
I can appreciate the change. I just wonder what the layout is going to be like. That place was huge. They had the bowling, miniature golf, and even that 3rd theater. And what of the HUGE parking? That is a lot of parking.
For the most part it is already set up to be a school. It was originally going to be a school after the Fun dome closed.

The skating ring was phase 1. It was converted into 12 classrooms.. And then 8 of those classrooms were converted into two larger reception rooms when it was to be Salt Lake pavilion.. I imagine that they will be read divided.

The upstairs arcade area was phase 2. It was divided into about Seven or a classrooms.

The race track area was phase 3. This phase was not started until it was to become Salt Lake pavilion.. And became one large dining area

The bowling alley and miniature golf were both gutted out when it became the Utah pet center.. I believe the old miniature golf area was converted into kennels.. I'm not 100% sure but I think the bowling alley became medical facilities if they ever did anything with it all..

The only part of the building that was recognizable when the Utah pet center closed was the main foyer.. It still had the Peruvian Village theme... I kind of hope the new owners keep that at least.

Someone did a photo shoot inside the place.. The first photo is where the skating ring was.

http://search.reel-scout.com/locatio...nt&photopage=1

Last edited by ajiuO; Jan 25, 2014 at 10:22 AM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 2:46 PM
Bring out the cranes...

So weird that every business that came in after the Fun Dome closed failed.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 10:37 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 10:38 PM

Park City could be dubbed Hollywood hills by Sundance 2015 - Quinn's Junction movie studio might be operating later this year

The Park City Film Studios will be developed at Quinn's Junction after the developer reached an agreement with Park City leaders for the project. The studios opened a temporary informational setup on Main Street during the Sundance Film Festival to showcase what facilities will be available. Courtesy of Park City Film Studios

Jay Hamburger, The Park Record

http://www.parkrecord.com/park_city-...ywood-hills-by

When Hollywood returns to Park City for the Sundance Film Festival's 2015 edition, a future festival entry could be under production not far from the hubbub of Sundance.

By the time Sundance 2015 has started in January, a developer hopes to have built and opened the first buildings in a movie-studio complex planned along Park City's S.R. 248 entryway. It would be a milestone in the long-running efforts to locate a studio complex in the Park City area, and it is not clear whether the developer, a firm called Quinn's Junction Partnership, will have made that much progress by the time Sundance opens next year.

Greg Ericksen, whose family trust owns Quinn's Junction Partnership, said in an interview during Sundance he anticipates the first soundstages could be operating by the fall of this year.

The developer last fall held a ceremonial groundbreaking at the site with state political, business and film-industry leaders, and Ericksen said this week construction is expected to start when the ground thaws.
The facility will be called the Park City Film Studios. It will be located on a little more than 29 acres at the southwest corner of Quinn's Junction, where U.S. 40 and S.R. 248 meet. The City Hall approval allows 374,000 square feet of development. The largest building at the site will be a little more than 90,000 square feet in size and primarily house lodging space, a recording studio and a
spa. The second largest of the buildings -- 73,000 square feet -- would primarily consist of soundstages.

The Park City Film Studios, which will be developed at Quinn's Junction, will feature a virtual stage designed for digital filmmaking. The virtual stage is expected to be operating when the first buildings open, which is anticipated in the fall. Courtesy of Park City Film Studios

There are also plans for a building to be used for entertainment purposes, a building for an effects stage, a studio store and studio tours.
The developer earlier reached an agreement with Raleigh Studios, a Hollywood company that bills itself as the nation's largest independent studio operator. Raleigh Studios is expected to anchor the studio in Park City. Quinn's Junction Partnership has said Raleigh Studios signed a 20-year lease with a renewal option after the first 20 years.

Quinn's Junction Partnership last year inked a deal with a state-run Chinese firm known as National Film Capital of China that will bring an international presence to the Park City Film Studios.

The supporters of the studio see it as a facility that will be important as Park City further diversifies its tourism-heavy economy, citing the prospects of job creation, among other benefits. They also say that Park City Film Studios will be a nice addition to Utah's film industry. There is also a chance, it seems, of some sort of partnership involving Park City Film Studios and the organizers of Sundance.

The chief opposition to the project came from some Park City officials. The Park City Planning Commission advanced the project to the Park City Council with a negative recommendation as a majority of the lower panel outlined a range of development-related concerns. The City Council itself approved the project on a split vote that illustrated the continuing concerns about the development.

The Park City Film Studios during Sundance set up an informational location in a small space along lower Main Street, inside a festival rental organized by the Utah Film Commission. The developers showcased renderings illustrating the architecture of the buildings planned at the complex and played videos describing the eventual capabilities of the Park City Film Studios.

Ericksen said the setup at Sundance was "more informational" in nature and was not meant to be critical to the studio's marketing efforts. He was not sure how much business could be generated in the Main Street space during the festival.

"Sundance is the opportunity for the state of Utah . . . to educate people of what's available in Utah," he said.

Park City Film Studios this month, meanwhile, started to install a technology known as digital motion capture and virtual stage, according to a prepared statement released by the studio just before the start of Sundance. It is described as "a key part of the studios' planned technology platform."

"The platform provides our clients with a comprehensive virtual filmmaking capability," Ericksen said in the prepared statement.

Last edited by delts145; Feb 4, 2014 at 12:37 AM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 10:45 PM
BANNED

That's really awesome, thanks for sharing. Speaking of Park City...

I just got back from Colorado. I was surprised to see how many resort towns had their own commercial airport. Vail-Eagle, Steamboat Springs, Telluride, Aspen, Durango, all had their very own airport with commercial airline service. I know Denver is a distance away from those resorts but I was impressed how they can all support commercial air traffic.

With that, what are the possibilities of Park City ever getting their own airport? I'm not too familiar of how the geographical layout of that area is but I could see Park City having non-stop flights to a few places like Denver, Los Angeles, and Chicago. Also, I know that there a many people who vacation just up in Park City itself.

Last edited by Plaid Shirts; Jan 25, 2014 at 11:13 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West