HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 2:46 AM

Ugh. Not gonna lie.... I’m nervous about being in such an old hunk of junk for so long. Are there any benefits to riding in a 747???

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Ugh. Not gonna lie.... I’m nervous about being in such an old hunk of junk for so long. Are there any benefits to riding in a 747???
In no way is this plane a hunk of junk. There are no real benefits to flying on a 747 except for plane gurus and history buffs, the 747 is such a historic plane that many people want to fly on one just to say they have. I know I would love to fly on a 747. It is one of the safest planes to fly on and is also one of the fastest. I know for me if I'm gonna be flying over ocean I would much rather have 4 engines than 2.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
In no way is this plane a hunk of junk. There are no real benefits to flying on a 747 except for plane gurus and history buffs, the 747 is such a historic plane that many people want to fly on one just to say they have. I know I would love to fly on a 747. It is one of the safest planes to fly on and is also one of the fastest. I know for me if I'm gonna be flying over ocean I would much rather have 4 engines than 2.
Good point! I think I get into my head with old interior designs and equate that with old non-working integral parts to the plane.

I'll try and snap some photos for y'all!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Good point! I think I get into my head with old interior designs and equate that with old non-working integral parts to the plane.

74s are fun. There’s nothing like the g force when it starts to take off...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 2:22 PM

Quote:

A lot of the planes you fly on are much older than you think.

United is flying a ton of A320s that are more than 20 years old.
http://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/U...ctive-a320.htm

These planes are cared for and get regular maintenance. No need to be concerned!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 5:54 PM
Meh

My brother was talking about how odd it was seeing ashtrays on the plane. I forget which kind of plane it was, and I believe it was American Airlines. Ashtrays. Cars don't even come with ashtrays anymore.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
My brother was talking about how odd it was seeing ashtrays on the plane. I forget which kind of plane it was, and I believe it was American Airlines. Ashtrays. Cars don't even come with ashtrays anymore.
In 1978 I flew on a fully loaded Pan Am 747 from Heathrow to San Francisco via Seattle. We had seats all the way at the rear in the smoking section. My traveling companion and I both smoked, but the air quality on this flight was so noxious that I maybe smoked one cigarette during the entire 10 or 11 hour flight. It was indescribably foul air. I remained a smoker for another ten years, but I never, ever sat in the smoking section on an airplane again. It boggles the mind today to think that people used to be allowed to smoke on airplanes.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
In 1978 I flew on a fully loaded Pan Am 747 from Heathrow to San Francisco via Seattle. We had seats all the way at the rear in the smoking section. My traveling companion and I both smoked, but the air quality on this flight was so noxious that I maybe smoked one cigarette during the entire 10 or 11 hour flight. It was indescribably foul air. I remained a smoker for another ten years, but I never, ever sat in the smoking section on an airplane again. It boggles the mind today to think that people used to be allowed to smoke on airplanes.
I had that experience on an Air France A340 in the mid 1990s ....

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khowaga View Post
I had that experience on an Air France A340 in the mid 1990s ....
I had a few flights like that. The worst were in Europe (at least that I experienced). Even in as late as the mid 80s, I recall some European flights where they didn't even have a smoking section, you could smoke anywhere on the plane. I vaguely remember some very smoky ones, but they must have all smelled quite strong compared to anything today.

I sometimes wonder, if time travel were possible, would the first thing you notice be the smell...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 7:51 PM

Quote:
If it was recent and American, it could be one of their older MD-80s.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyk View Post
Yeah I've flown in many planes with ashtrays, seeing them less and less often nowadays. Usually they're sealed shut, or if they're not, they're full of all kinds of crap like chewed gum and straw wrappers, etc.

This makes me wonder, why do planes even have a no smoking sign at all? Pretty sure everyone knows it's illegal now. Maybe for those few passengers around the world where smoking on planes may still be legal in their country?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Yeah I've flown in many planes with ashtrays, seeing them less and less often nowadays. Usually they're sealed shut, or if they're not, they're full of all kinds of crap like chewed gum and straw wrappers, etc.

This makes me wonder, why do planes even have a no smoking sign at all? Pretty sure everyone knows it's illegal now. Maybe for those few passengers around the world where smoking on planes may still be legal in their country?
Probably because if you don't have it then someone will light up saying they thought it was OK.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyk View Post
Probably because if you don't have it then someone will light up saying they thought it was OK.
Some of the very new ones don’t. I was on one recently where instead it was seatbelts and an indicator of whether you could use your electronic devices!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 11:51 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Besides the very negative feelings I have about cigarettes for a number of reasons, I'd rather not be suspended in the sky in a tube having to breathe the exhalations of everyone else. I would almost rather swim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyk
That's the one.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 10:03 PM
Meh

https://www.statesman.com/business/s...FoaMcww3sY0oO/
Quote:
Southwest Airlines adds nonstops from Austin to 3 new cities

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I don't get why they say Southwest Airlines adds nonstops from Austin after those nonstops already started. :/

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
I don't get why they say Southwest Airlines adds nonstops from Austin after those nonstops already started. :/
It’s the Statesman.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 3:34 PM
Member since 2001

Anyone going to the Master Plan meeting tonight? I'd love to go, but cannot. If someone is, could you ask why the airport does not plan for greater growth? It's pathetic. Heck, the operational maximum PAX with the the new nine gate extension will be surpassed by the end of THIS year (several months before the extension actually opens).

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 9:18 PM

Clear preference for runways are the easy to build ones next to existing runways.

Desire to work on next 2 expansions simultaneously with near term smaller expansion opening in 2021 and long term bigger expansion opening in 2024.

Last edited by freerover; Apr 19, 2018 at 9:32 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 1:00 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

So, none of the alternatives would fit a B748 or A388 (ADG VI) - at least adjacent to a gate in simultaneous operation.

I like Alternatives 3 & 4 (with #4 receiving my vote - especially when considering long-term expansion flexibility). In Alternative 4, it looks like the total number of contact gates could be ~75 if the satellite concourse expands into the RON areas.

Out of curiosity, why is 64 gates the magic number for a 2040 plan?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin