HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
I love this concept!! It looks like a great way to blend all 3 major modes of transit (HRT,LRT,BRT) to access the entire county (south of Santa Clarita); so long as the BRT's are Center running or have their own ROW. I especially love the concept of both a red and purple line eastern extension past Downtown
LRT is great if you can differentiate between light rail and street car.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car(e)-Free LA View Post
I disagree with both rules. I think it is OK to shut down the purple line in one direction, if just on weekends for a couple months. I also have no problem with doing that to the red line, especially after the Crenshaw North extension opens.

As for rule #2, I think it is okay to tear down the little stumpy over the current station, particularly because it could then be replaced with a 30-50 story tower (see City Lights for more.)
Temporary shut down like weekends or a couple of weeks at a time is ok. It's almost inevitable when you do track tie in or breaking thru the existing Red line tunnels to form the new junctions.

What I'm saying is that there is no way we will proceed with a plan that will disrupt service for extended period of time, and/or crazy expensive solutions that involves rebuild of the existing station and Purple line tunnels.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car(e)-Free LA View Post
And that is a really really really big problem that needs to be changed. Interlining is HORRIBLE for the NYC subway, for instance, and it really needs to be changed from this:

To this:

Interlining messes with on time service, a coherent system, and makes waits for a one seat TRAIN so long that it would have been faster to take a frequent train to andother frequent train with a transfer.
Interlining has its upsides and downsides. I'd rather minimize the amount of transfers I have to make so I'd take the current version over that. This would actually make things more difficult IMO. It would also cause severe overcrowding in the stations.
Just imagine having everybody get off on what is normally a one-seat ride and have to transfer a full train of people onto another full train.

The interlining exists in order to maximize routes to and from certain areas to others. Under this map, I would have to transfer just to get to Midtown!
Interlining also increases the amount of trains and areas you are able to transfer to.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 1:14 AM
life is good

Anybody else concerned the Chinese manufacturer of our new rail cars had major problems in Singapore?

https://www.ft.com/content/3a618d42-...6-0712b3873ae1

http://la.curbed.com/2017/4/12/15277...d-purple-lines

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 4:07 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Hopefully it's not the second coming of the Breda P2550s. Luckily though Metro has only committed to the base order of 64 vehicles. Still wish they would've chosen Hyundai Rotem, but whatever.

On a design note, I was really hoping that LA would be the first American city to deviate from the standard steel shell aesthetic common among heavy rail rolling stock. Oh well.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 4:24 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Another ridership record for Expo... averaged nearly 60,000 weekday riders for the month of March. Better start thinking about completing the Purple Line extension.

http://isotp.metro.net/MetroRidership/IndexRail.aspx

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Anybody else concerned the Chinese manufacturer of our new rail cars had major problems in Singapore?

https://www.ft.com/content/3a618d42-...6-0712b3873ae1

http://la.curbed.com/2017/4/12/15277...d-purple-lines
That rendering in the LA Curbed article looks pretty legit, though

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 5:10 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ They're alright. I like how the design scheme alludes to the Kinkisharyo P3010s (which I love), if the idea is to create visual cohesiveness throughout the entire Metro Rail system. For the sake of avoiding confusion, the choice to drop the red color scheme is also wise, as these trains will be used for both Red and Purple Line service.

The silhouette looks to remain unchanged from the current rolling stock, which speaks to my point that no US city has decided to radically change the look of their HRVs. Personally, I was hoping for something along the lines of Montreal's new MPM-10 trains. Those are quite elegant and "European" looking.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
^ Hopefully it's not the second coming of the Breda P2550s. Luckily though Metro has only committed to the base order of 64 vehicles. Still wish they would've chosen Hyundai Rotem, but whatever.

On a design note, I was really hoping that LA would be the first American city to deviate from the standard steel shell aesthetic common among heavy rail rolling stock. Oh well.
Why? Why would you want them to choose Hyundai!? The RTD order is the only thing they've done that's arrived on time or worked for that matter. That only happened because SEPTA had to deal with all the teething issues on the SL Vs.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 6:46 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Another ridership record for Expo... averaged nearly 60,000 weekday riders for the month of March. Better start thinking about completing the Purple Line extension.

http://isotp.metro.net/MetroRidership/IndexRail.aspx
As the cliche goes: If you build it, they will come.

The DTLA Regional Connector can't come soon enough.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 9:40 PM
life is good

The exterior is serviceable but the inside is tacky af. the terrible quality of the renders doesn't help either

in the end i just hope they are well built. how much did we save versus going with an established japanese or european manufacturer?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 10:56 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Alright I guess I'll be the one that complains about the gimmicky paint job and the overall exterior design. Enough with the bubble halftone pattern nonsense. I'd rather have a clean less is more design any day. And I'm all for an aggressive looking front end, but this just looks almost anachronistic to me. They remind me of old R32's from NY. Which I love, but I love them because they are from the 1960's. If someone proposed it now, I would think it bizarre. Without leaving the borders of this country, I think the new Miami Metrorail cars are spot on in every sense, at least in terms of the exterior design:

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 11:32 PM
BANNED

Am I the only one who doesn't give a shit? Paint it pink for all I care, just as long as the thing gets me from point A to B. It's a subway car, not a work of art.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 11:41 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

^I always get a kick out of folks with this sentiment. I wouldn't want to see a world where design is irrelevant or viewed as unnecessary. Wear a burlap sack for all I care, just as long as the thing covers my privates. It's a wardrobe, not a work of art. Build a house of cinder blocks for all I care, just as long as the thing has electricity and keeps out the rain. It's a home, not a work of art, etc, etc...

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 5:22 AM
YIMBY co-founder

Maybe it's the render, but that car looks like something out of the 70s. The same goes for the new rolling stock for Boston and most new ones NYC gets. Why are US metros sticking with trains that are just slightly updated old cars? Why not move to newer types like London's S-stock or Stockholm's C30?
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 5:27 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ The Chicago ones (also CRRC) look dated as well, very similar to the existing rolling stock.

Both are considered "conceptual" renderings, for what it's worth. But yes, the unimaginative design to begin with should be cause for concern. Why can't CRRC just design something like this for us?

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-pjrFW7wdv...7884357498.jpg

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 5:41 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Nice front. Then you look at the sides and see that it still has that generic American HRV aesthetic. The corrugated motif and boxy windows with filleted corners make it look a lot like LA's current fleet.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 5:45 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Munich has my absolute favorite metro trains:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/43/86...78e48c532f.jpg

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 11:25 AM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't give a shit? Paint it pink for all I care, just as long as the thing gets me from point A to B. It's a subway car, not a work of art.
The best counter I could offer is that it connotes the impression of "newness" to a skeptical public.

All else being same (cost, efficiency, comfort, etc), most riders would feel better about a system in which they ride in this compared to this, despite no differences in functionality.

You might scoff, but something that arguably really adds very little to no cost to a tender has the potential to dramatically alter the psychology of riders: people are more amenable to fare increases when they are able to readily recognize improvements, people are less likely to litter, etc.

There's a reason car manufacturers try to connote a certain air of "luxuriousness" to even their lower-rung, mass market brands: people feel better when they are using something that feels like it was designed with care.

Put even more simply, it's why we fetishize hand-crafted goods and demonize mass-produced stuff.

It isn't even about the need to look "fancy," but about presenting a proper face to customers; particularly, in regards to buses. If something is poorly-designed you will feel awful using it. Just think about your favoriate places to walk or just be in; I bet there's a big difference in how these places look compared to areas you hate.

Admittedly, things are improving when it comes to the interiors of some of the newer rolling stock being acquired, lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Maybe it's the render, but that car looks like something out of the 70s. The same goes for the new rolling stock for Boston and most new ones NYC gets. Why are US metros sticking with trains that are just slightly updated old cars? Why not move to newer types like London's S-stock or Stockholm's C30?
The best I can come up with is that this is likely the true side-effect of Buy America (I personally have not seen enough convincing evidence that it, alone, drives up the costs of procurement, but that's another story): firms find one design that works and just continue replicating it for various reasons.

1) it's what their factories/suppliers are outfitted to produce - or already are producing
2) RFPs may be so strict that they force firms to offer "bare bones" submissions (from a design standpoint) in favor of other features
3) RFPs are so similar that firms try to maximize costs and shop around the same basic rolling stock, tailored as needed
4) firms think it's what agencies want/bids from competition look similar
5) transit agencies have a preference that their rolling stock look as homogeneous as possible (for whatever reason)

I don't really know if getting rid of Buy America solves this, as many suggest, since even Bombardier's contracts (while still better than most) often look awfully similar.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 9:54 PM

UrbanizeLA has fresh renderings for the 96th Street station and LAX transit center. Click on the link to see all of them.

http://urbanize.la/post/fresh-render...-metro-station

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation