HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 3:30 PM

Solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Yeah guys word of advice. If you ever want to know where an address is exactly use the new orleans assessors site. Google Maps is always off!
I actually noticed the signage for the Solomon group on that building yesterday. i hadn't realized he'd moved from the Tchoup location he used to have. I was thinking "this is a mighty ugly and bland building for a designer-type person" so I'm relieved to know he plans some extensive work on it.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 3:37 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Seriously?! Tracage and South Market news. Looks like things just got more interesting.

Parking Garage: I cannot imagine them building a parking garage and then adding to the top later. I think it will just be be like EasyPark, but with ground floor retail. Which I am happy about. Let's remember it is just an ugly empty lot right now. Win.

Tracage: Really? Talk about rising from the dead. I have to say if the condos are prices right. 250Kish for 1br, 350-400 for larger. I could maybe see them thinking it could work (doesn't mean it will). I would probably rather them channel that investment into a historic conversion, and I would rather 1031 Canal, the South Market District, but I hope this project works out.

Penthouse: Even that last item made me chuckle. Where is that address btw?
Can you tell from the submissions if the parking garage is going to take up that entire surface area lot? I know there's a separate piece of property that's a separate lot (much smaller) on the Baronne side, but the other lot alone is MASSIVE. Maybe it'll be one massive garage for all of the South Market District Residents instead of trying to build one into each of the buildings like 930 Poydras did (makes sense for that building).

We have our contracts at EZPark since we work in Place St. Charles...the one thing I'd say about the retail is that it needs to be done right. The two retail locations are strangely located with non-sensical access points. The one has been the Spa Atlantis for a long time and looks nice, but i have to assume it's open because i never see any activity. The other retail spot has been vacant forever. Due to the setup it looks like each of the retail spaces is about the width of a single-wide trailer and half the length....

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 6:39 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
Can you tell from the submissions if the parking garage is going to take up that entire surface area lot? I know there's a separate piece of property that's a separate lot (much smaller) on the Baronne side, but the other lot alone is MASSIVE. Maybe it'll be one massive garage for all of the South Market District Residents instead of trying to build one into each of the buildings like 930 Poydras did (makes sense for that building).

We have our contracts at EZPark since we work in Place St. Charles...the one thing I'd say about the retail is that it needs to be done right. The two retail locations are strangely located with non-sensical access points. The one has been the Spa Atlantis for a long time and looks nice, but i have to assume it's open because i never see any activity. The other retail spot has been vacant forever. Due to the setup it looks like each of the retail spaces is about the width of a single-wide trailer and half the length....
This wont be like EZ PArk I can assure you. Plus the architects are Eskew and they do progressive stuff.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 12:37 AM
TIGERS NATIONAL CHAMPS

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
825 Girod isn't Rouses, it's the next block towards the river. Google maps is wrong.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=nzr...13&form=LMLTCC

Looks like it will be a nice little new development to complement the South Market District.
anyone else notice, the Google aerial was taken during Mardi Gras?....just drag over to St. Charles

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla_tiger View Post
anyone else notice, the Google aerial was taken during Mardi Gras?....just drag over to St. Charles
Didn't notice that. Pretty sweet.

Also saw this on Nola.

Texaco Building on Canal Street renovation financing approved

New life might soon be coming to a tired, dilapidated Canal Street building. The State Bond Commission has approved the issuance of up to $22 million in bonds to retool the dilapidated Texaco Building at 1501 Canal St. into housing for older people.

The renovations are expected to begin in April and take about 15 months to complete, said Joshua Collen, vice president of development of HRI Properties, the firm handling the renovation.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...nal_stree.html

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 11:25 PM

Texaco Building

Wonder if there is any chance they return the Texaco sign? Seems like a perfect fit to pay homage to the oil industry in the state. Dreaming I know...

Of course many nola.com fear it to be just an expansion of public housing to Canal. Don't you expect that it will be just as benign as the building at Lee Circle, is this not the same thing?

I really like the design of the building and am glad to see that a great (and tall) example this era in architecture will be restored/saved. The idea of 50's modern design is just such a funny contrast to the rest of New Orleans. What review board does this project reside under? How many liberties can we expect them to take?

Will be interesting to see the type of retail they bring in. 1/3 odds Fro-Yo will be involved? (ps YogurtLand is really no different than any of the others, not worth the drive)

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
Didn't notice that. Pretty sweet.

Also saw this on Nola.

Texaco Building on Canal Street renovation financing approved

New life might soon be coming to a tired, dilapidated Canal Street building. The State Bond Commission has approved the issuance of up to $22 million in bonds to retool the dilapidated Texaco Building at 1501 Canal St. into housing for older people.

The renovations are expected to begin in April and take about 15 months to complete, said Joshua Collen, vice president of development of HRI Properties, the firm handling the renovation.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...nal_stree.html
I'm glad to see this finally go through. I hope it really happens. I also heard the BioInnovation Center next door is looking for funding to expand the building to Iberville. From what I hear, they'd like to expand current floors 2-4 to Iberville.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 2:59 AM

Good to see the Texaco building renovation finally moving forward. It will be a great addition to the Canal St. revival. Having close proximity to the new medical district will help attract residents to the building.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 3:50 AM
TL;DR

I was just thinking about the Texaco Building. Seems like they announced funding over a year ago, and I was surprised to see that the building had actually deteriorated further when I returned 2 weeks ago. I love the design of this one.

4500 SF is enough for a restaurant. I'd love to see a dining spot open up here, but with Iberville a block away, it seems unrealistic that a restaurant would take a chance. Still, I think a properly-themed restaurant would really enhance the building's design and cachet the way Ste. Marie does for 930 Poydras. I'd love to see a Cuban joint open up here, with some theming to recall 1950s, tropical mid-century modernism.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 7:02 PM
-

New Items:

1346554 New Orleans, LA Multi-Residential, Municipal, Other 01/23/2012
Description Renovation of a municipal facility in New Orleans. Working plans call for the renovation of an existing historical residential building to include repairs for seven buildings. The architect is currently working on construction documents and constr...Click here for complete Project Details

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 8:58 PM

LSU Health Foundation Building

They're starting work on the foundation of the Foundation building...sorry I had to, but great news!

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/th...iences-center/

- Rendering courtesy the LSU Health Foundation

Quote:
Construction begins on new LSU Health Foundation building

Construction is set to begin on the building that will replace the facility that housed the offices for the LSU Health Foundation until Hurricane Katrina.

Satterfield and Pontikes Construction Group became the apparent low-bidder for the project with a bid amount of $6.8 million, after Walton Construction Co. withdrew its bid....

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 1:03 AM
TL;DR

This is on an odd wedge-shaped lot. Should be an interesting building...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
New Items:

1346554 New Orleans, LA Multi-Residential, Municipal, Other 01/23/2012
Description Renovation of a municipal facility in New Orleans. Working plans call for the renovation of an existing historical residential building to include repairs for seven buildings. The architect is currently working on construction documents and constr...Click here for complete Project Details
This is the Milne Boys Home. It's in the final planning stage.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
They're starting work on the foundation of the Foundation building...sorry I had to, but great news!

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/th...iences-center/

- Rendering courtesy the LSU Health Foundation
Thanks for posting. Have been looking for a rendering. I think this fits in much better with the biodistrict especially the LCRC. I think its a pretty good design especially for LSU anyway.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Cletus View Post
This is the Milne Boys Home. It's in the final planning stage.
Do you have any idea what it's planned to become? That site fascinates me, all those old buildings on a huge plot of land.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 5:31 AM
TL;DR

VA Hospital Update

I was in Mid-City today with a few minutes to kill, so I toured around the VA and LSU sites. LSU pictures to follow later.

Live oaks carefully preserved. The granite rocks prevent construction vehicles from sinking in the mud.

Pumping station... and its backup.

The pad for the transformer is at the new grade for the site.

Vast emptiness.

Fins have been removed for cleaning.

Now awaiting installation.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 5:59 AM

Thanks for the pics. Would love to see the LSU site. Seems like it is now moving faster than the VA side.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
This is on an odd wedge-shaped lot. Should be an interesting building...
So a while back, I remember hearing that the empty lot next to this one was becoming the "Human Development Center", but when I saw the rendering for this new building, it looked square, so I assumed it was going on that lot instead of the wedge-shaped lot, or that the "Foundation Building" was another name for the same thing.

HOWEVER, after looking at this map, maybe it's going to be two separate things. But, I can't picture that square building fitting on that wedge-shaped lot. Does anyone know exactly what's happening?

http://www.lsuhsc.edu/no/Maps/downtown.aspx

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 3:24 PM

Two different buildings.

This going in Lot 3 - already under construction

This going in Lot 4

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 4:22 PM
-

New Permits:

Commercial Change of Use
Work Location 3338 ST CHARLES AVE
NEW ORLEANS LA 70115
JAMES SUDDETH
J. RAYMOND CONSTRUCTION CORP.
465 W WARREN AVE
LONGWOOD, FL, 32750
Home Phone: 407- 86-2 6966
RESIDENT 51276
Project Description:
CONVERT VACANT BOOKSTORE INTO A GROCERY STORE AS PER PLANS AND HDLC C/A #HDLCP-11-1537.

1827960 Metairie, LA Restaurant 01/24/2012
Description Tenant improvements for a national chain restaurant in Metairie. Completed working plans call for the interior build-out of a 3,716-square-foot space to accommodate a national chain restaurant. The owner has determined a list of select general con...Click here for complete Project Details

This is clearly for the Fresh Market.

Last edited by tennis1400; Jan 24, 2012 at 9:32 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations