HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 4:10 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I was recently speculating with a friend about whether and how Dearborn Park could be densified. It would be theoretically possible to buy out one of the townhouse groups and deconvert it (they were grouped into condo associations). Then the new owner could demolish those for a new highrise of the type we see all through the area. It's just a vastly sped-up version of the process the Near North Side went through over the last 50 years.

Probably the easiest group to start with would be the "Garden Homes" near Plymouth and Roosevelt. That's where the original plans called for a third highrise, but no one thought it was financially feasible in the early 1980s. It might not even require an amendment to the PD, though of course the neighbors will scream bloody murder.

But the biggest issue is that there's still too much low-hanging fruit; too many parking lots left to build on first. It will be many decades before it pencils out to pay a 20 or 30 percent premium for perfectly good townhouses.
Edit, wrong thread.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 5:06 PM

Some pictures of demo and, I think new, renders of the Belmont flyover via Trib.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...togallery.html

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 5:21 PM
BANNED

I learned years ago on this website that it’s “Renderings” so please allow me to pass that knowledge down to you. And thanks for posting.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 5:49 PM

Lol. My bad, I dont think I'll ever get it right. I'm also a spell check's nightmare. Doesn't help that I type almost all my posts on the phone. Stupid thumbs. Haha.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
My thought is that it might hold a scale model of their master plan and that a dome is a good way to shield you from the elements but also be able to be right there and say "picture this if you will..." It's possible that the domes were the best way to show this they thought and it just happens to be coincidence with the fact that they're now a potential site for Amazon.

I am not getting my hopes up either, but Amazon will be spending time in all the top 20 cities of course, so it makes sense that they'd be brought to the site with some sort of "tour." Having a scale model of this thing - and done in the feet, not inches, would hit the point home a little easier on what they can expect.

It's completely possible that they got the permits in general for "The 78" type of reveal, but it got delayed once the HQ2 announcement happened and they threw their hat into the pile for sites.
official explanation:

Quote:
According to developer Related Midwest, the structure is nothing more than an on-site operations center. “With construction of the Wells-Wentworth Connector starting in just a few months, we are creating an area for our team to conduct operations,” said a Related spokesperson in an email.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 6:38 PM
BANNED

^Yep, a 100% lie...Which I don't really mind if they've got a secret that's big enough to have to lie about.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 6:39 PM

^ Hope you're right. If this ends up being the location of HQ2, I'll be bawling from excitement. Lincoln Yards would be cool, but this is a better site from a regional perspective.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 6:41 PM

yea i mean why would an ops center would need a handicap ramp up to a platform

also, why would they possibly be "testing" multiple versions?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 6:44 PM
The City

I'm calling BS. On Related. Because they are full of BS.

But if they bring HQ2 to Chicago (fuck you Amazon, btw) they will obviously be redeemed...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 6:46 PM

but to play devils advocate, if it was really for an announcement, i dont see why theyd have to go to all the trouble of a concrete pour, not to mention its not exactly inconspicuous (would seriously doubt amazon would do anything to tip their hand prior to making it official).

theres this from the Curbed post as well:

Quote:
Interestingly, the site in question was issued a building permit late last year calling for a “30-foot diameter dome” to be used for a “24 hour press event.” According to its description, that permit was set to expire on December 13. Interesting stuff indeed.
again...would make sense if this is a space they want to use to woo Amazon...or other potential investors in the development. but i still think if this is something theyve been planning since late last year, that puts the timeline way ahead of any potential decision amazon would have been making at that stage. they just visited Denver 2 days ago. lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Mar 12, 2018 at 6:58 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 7:22 PM

321 N Clark - Restaurant

ABA vacated LL1 and LL2 (except for my server room) and gave away our 1/2 of the lobby (sold) for a new restaurant.

I don't like the idea of pushing out the glass wall to the columns - and hate the concept of putting in a mezzanine in the spectacular lobby.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 7:30 PM

^^^RPM (of RPM Italian and RPM Steak) is opening a restaurant there.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 7:41 PM

a 4 floor (presumably high end) restaurant also sounds insanely ambitious by any measure

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
I learned years ago on this website that it’s “Renderings” so please allow me to pass that knowledge down to you. And thanks for posting.
thank you.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 7:58 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
Some pictures of demo and, I think new, renders of the Belmont flyover via Trib.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...togallery.html
It looks like they're replacing a lot more of the existing steel structure than I'd imagined, assuming it's all accurate.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 10:49 PM

LOL my co-workers and I got a kick out of Related's statement. You don't have to think this has anything to do with Amazon to think their statement is BS.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 12:04 AM

Regarding Related and the giant containers and stage setup...I honestly think this def is related to amazon in some sort of way like we mentioned...perhaps not the jackpot of an official announcement that they selected Chicago (even though that would be fantastic if it was) but the fact that Related reps are making up stories about it makes it much more intriguing..the zoning application was for a stage for an announcement of some sort..not what the reps said as a staging area so we know thats a straight up lie... I can only put the pieces together that perhaps amazon was gonna visit this site back a few months ago but changed plans to come closer to spring (hence the earlier application submission) and now the stage is erected and the "red carpet" is ready to be rolled out...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 12:08 AM

By the way, the structural engineer for the dome and the company is in Klamath Falls, Oregon (southern Oregon). They sure went out of their way to find someone to design a dome for them. They do have some pretty major clients and are licensed in almost every state. Still though..very interesting. I personally find their explanation weird considering one of the permits stated it was for a press conference event but their statement says it's an ops center.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 12:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
By the way, the structural engineer for the dome and the company is in Klamath Falls, Oregon (southern Oregon). They sure went out of their way to find someone to design a dome for them. They do have some pretty major clients and are licensed in almost every state. Still though..very interesting. I personally find their explanation weird considering one of the permits stated it was for a press conference event but their statement says it's an ops center.
Any investigational journalists out there?

http://kval.com/news/local/amazon-sp...ts-from-eugene

Amazon 'Spheres' building in Seattle features roots from Eugene Oregon.

http://www.structure1.com/portfolio/

Klamath Falls
 (541) 850-6300
 (541) 850-6233
mt2@structure1.com
250-A Main Street
Klamath Falls OR 97601

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 12:38 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development