HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
It's great news. I can't see too many people being opposed to this project as we've needed a much larger convention space for decades. Tied in with a modern arena, an entertainment district and a great airport it should be able to generate a lot of revenue for the region.

Totally agree. It is long over due.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 3:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Grizzly View Post
I doubt that’s a garage they’re building, there’s no garage doors on it.
Isn't that large opening big enough for a double garage door?

Or if we turn the question around and ask, is it possible that someone builds a $10M home in Calgary without an enclosed space to house their cars? So if not in this out-building, where?

Keeping the mystery going, the second floor seems odd, and what are those things they are working on on the roof of it? Maybe it will have a car lift, so be a stacked garage?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 3:57 PM

Quote:
There’s no ally way behind those houses, so the vehicles would have to come in from the east side.
There is an alleyway behind those houses.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 4:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern View Post

Oh right - this is an ultra-low-density inner sprawl neighbourhood.

Woah - those were some massive trees they pulled out from the backyard. Glad they didn't have heritage status!

@Daemon - next time you're out there, see if you can get an angle where we can see along the back. Thanks for all your photos of this particular project. I really appreciate it.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 5:13 PM

Weird. I looked at Street View, but from a different angle and it didn’t look like there was an alleyway.
Quote:

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 8:43 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Too bad they have tarp all around the mansion, can't see what's going on. In the back it looks like a garage with a mother in-law-suite on top.
Were these ever posted?

https://www.jmdesigngroup.ca/project-hilltop

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Were these ever posted?
First time I've seen them.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 9:20 PM

First time I've seen them. Too bad they don't show the back yard, and then we could see if they are building a garage or not.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 9:22 PM

Quote:

I see I didn't use streetview far enough. This is the view I had, and it looked as though there was no alley..

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 9:28 PM
That's what she said

Quote:
I see I didn't use streetview far enough. This is the view I had, and it looked as though there was no alley..

I dunno. You can clearly see the alley way in the pic you posted.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 9:32 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
First time I've seen them. Too bad they don't show the back yard, and then we could see if they are building a garage or not.
Yeah I was trying to view the latest permit on the city's development map to see what that out building was but of course the site is broken, so I googled the permit # and found a 311 call entry which listed the architect, on whose site I found the pics.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 10:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Hadn't seen these. Beautiful. Love that they have integrated security into the landscaping by having the home built on a podium. You can't ram that house.

The scale is pretty impressive also, and there are some minimalist qualities, such as those massive vertical windows. You can only estimate size if people are close to them.

Looks like a big cut-out in the roof on the west portion of the home. Would love to gain a better understanding of that, and frankly, the full floor plan. Likely not gonna happen till they have a party they invite me to.

A night-time render would have been nice to see.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 11:07 PM
BANNED

$168.5M in federal money announced for flood mitigation
https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...867453448.html

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobyoby View Post
I dunno. You can clearly see the alley way in the pic you posted.
Yeah, but it’s confusing. If you took the time to have a good look you’ll see that the alleyway on the east side of the street comes out right in the middle of that block and there’s no alleyway on the other side. The next street down on the east side comes in where the alleyway is, so it’s confusing. I can see why it would have looked like there wasn’t an alleyway.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 5:46 AM
BANNED

Final approval from YYCcc today - shovel in the ground for the BMO Events Centre expansion in six weeks!!!

LINK - https://twitter.com/Ward4Ward1/statu...52259193348096

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 5:51 AM
BANNED

I'm assuming shovel in the ground means firstly building out Hall F, because they can't do much of the newly designed portion till the build-out the north portion (to maintain most of the capacity).

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 6:08 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Any reasons given by Farkas for voting "No" ?
What a clown.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Any reasons given by Farkas for voting "No" ?
What a clown.
I wondering about that as well. Also, what happened to Druh? She didn't show up for a key vote?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 12:33 AM
BANNED

Infrastructure section from yesterday's provincial throne speech (bolded items are in Calgary or are Calgary related.
https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...BE491986B74972
Quote:
New infrastructure investments

As we look forward, we are continuing to build Alberta for the future.

Your government will continue to make sure our kids learn in safe, modern classrooms by moving forward with building, expanding and modernizing more schools.

With our population growing and more kids entering our public schools every year, we have to keep looking forward and funding the construction of new schools. This includes fully funding long-awaited projects, such as a major new high school in north Calgary.

This year we will move forward with a badly needed expansion of the Red Deer Regional Hospital. This work will expand the emergency room, establish a cardiac catheterization lab, and expand other services to ensure this vital part of central Alberta is ready to care for generations of patients and families.

In Calgary, the Peter Lougheed Centre has one the busiest emergency rooms in the province and needs renovations to ease congestion. We will fix this problem, with renovations to the emergency, mental health and laboratory spaces.

A new children’s mental health hospital in Edmonton will move ahead, helping kids from across our north.

In Calgary, your government will make major improvements to Deerfoot Trail, reducing congestion and improving safety for travellers.

We are committed to keeping the people of Calgary safe, which is why we will continue to invest in crucial flood mitigation work, including the Springbank Dam.

We will continue to build more affordable and supportive housing. Building on Alberta’s first-ever affordable housing strategy, over the next four years we will build and repair 4,000 more affordable housing units.

We will increase and accelerate our work to make sure every First Nation in Alberta has clean, safe, reliable drinking water, delivering this vital human right faster to more communities.

Finally, for a modern province like ours, rural broadband should not be considered a luxury. It is a necessity and we will invest in a rural broadband strategy, helping people in rural areas get the same fast, efficient internet services as people in urban centres.
Defending energy jobs

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 2:28 AM

Does anyone know what's going to be built on 17 Avenue S.W. at 29 Street? There was an old medical type building there before. The entire lot (plus another?) was leveled very quickly and there's already a piece of equipment in place which makes me think that whoever owns this is ready to start work soon.

A few blocks west at 31 Street the Beacon project is above ground now. Is there something going on in this area that's making it attractive for development? It could be relative closeness to the Westbrook LRT station but I don't think that's it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates