HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 3:10 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakegz View Post
The plain concrete and simple square windows makes this building timeless. Looking at those interiors, I really would never be able to tell what time period I am in. Ancient Greek sculptures and vases, Renaissance art, Intl. style furniture but with a view 1,300 feet up suggesting being above time period or even style.
Absolutely, this tower is as classy as they come. It will grace New York's skyline, I'm sure of it.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
I recall a highly magnified render from NYGuy that seems to show a metallic strip in the middle of the concrete grid patterns. But in this vid, a closeup of the building at about 2:50 in doesn't show it.
Is this feature still in the debating stages even now, or will the concrete facade just show the recesses at the corners?
That "feature" wasn't ever publicly announced. It was just noticed by a few people, myself included, in some of the renderings. Could be a rendering mistake, could be a dropped design element, could be overzealous skyscraper nerds with nothing better to do, could be lots of things.

First view of 57th street section?

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 5:14 PM

Quote:
The plain concrete and simple square windows make this building timeless. Looking at those interiors, I really would never be able to tell what time period I am in. Ancient Greek sculptures and vases, Renaissance art, Intl. style furniture but with a view 1,300 feet up suggesting being above time period or even style.
Beautifully stated.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 6:46 PM

Well, even if it is a near-stark concrete surface, the height it rises to is certainly impressive, if not unprecedented. I don't know if there's been any skyscraper of this magnitude with a facade of this nature.

From an architectural standpoint re this building, less is more, I suppose. But I'm digging the understated complexities I find in the spaces between the living sections.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 7:00 PM
Certified Idahoan

The thing I love most about watching this building grow (from far away Idaho) is the very unique nature of its construction process. I can't think of any other highrise, supertall or no, that is like this one. Instead of seeing a core, followed by a steel skeleton, followed by facade; we get to watch a building grow looking almost complete from the moment the concrete is poured. The only thing missing is the glass, but due to this design there isn't much left to the imagination even here.

Those who despair about such a tall building showing its naked concrete should remember; there is nothing more beautiful in execution than having the very bones of a structure be enough. This beauty has no need of makeup.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerVoodoo View Post
Am I seeing one panel of glass on the 56th street side? I am out of town so I can't run up there to see it in person but from the webcam it looks like it.
Kinda looks like it.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerVoodoo View Post
Am I seeing one panel of glass on the 56th street side? I am out of town so I can't run up there to see it in person but from the webcam it looks like it.
Don't worry, I'll grab photos tomorrow.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
Don't worry, I'll grab photos tomorrow.
Thanks very much babybackribs, that would be much appreciated, as there hasn't been an in person photo update of this one in awhile.

I hate to ask this since you are so generous with your photo updates as it is, but if you are in the near vicinity, is there anyway you could take a couple pics of the baccarat hotel as well? There hasn't been an update of it since May 3rd so I have to assume its climbed considerably higher since. If you can't however, no worries of course.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome2Boise View Post
The thing I love most about watching this building grow (from far away Idaho) is the very unique nature of its construction process. I can't think of any other highrise, supertall or no, that is like this one. Instead of seeing a core, followed by a steel skeleton, followed by facade; we get to watch a building grow looking almost complete from the moment the concrete is poured. The only thing missing is the glass, but due to this design there isn't much left to the imagination even here.

Those who despair about such a tall building showing its naked concrete should remember; there is nothing more beautiful in execution than having the very bones of a structure be enough. This beauty has no need of makeup.
^
This. If this tower weren't so wicked slender...and remarkably tall precisely by virtue of the aforementioned, it'd be panned as a neo-Brutalist slab. BTW @WelcometoBoise: You will of course notice that the concrete exterior meets open air at certain points of the structure, where it becomes an almost gravity-defying element. It's sort of a yin/yang thing: unmitigated weightiness meets uncircumscribed space.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 12:59 PM

Great renders.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 4:25 PM

Once this is completed, There might be taller buildings in other countries but this will certainly be the most talked about building in other countries. It will be very different from anything, anywhere.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 5:41 PM

Quote:
The plain concrete and simple square windows make this building timeless. Looking at those interiors, I really would never be able to tell what time period I am in. Ancient Greek sculptures and vases, Renaissance art, Intl. style furniture but with a view 1,300 feet up suggesting being above time period or even style.
Totally agree, and like others have commented, very well put.

The views from the upper floors will be absolutely amazing. Pity they're out of my price range, but would love to visit someone there.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 7:54 PM
don't *meddle*...

Great rendering by Funkyskunk2:

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 8:11 PM

Can't even imagine how awesome this will look with 225 West 57th and Hudson Yards North built... drooooool...

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 6:01 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

Fantastic. As I've said before, the scale will be amazing.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; May 31, 2013 at 6:12 AM.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 1:11 PM
New Yorker for life

( May 31, 2013 )

www.432park.com

I loved these impressive pics enough to see a larger version...King Kong would be proud.

http://www.robertcaplin.com/2013/05/...arry-macklowe/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 2:53 PM

Latest update! Photos from yesterday. Soaring into the concrete jungle--

432 Park Avenue May 2013 Construction Update

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdupree View Post
It will be very different from anything, anywhere.
The elegance of this building, the simplicity and efficiency of its design, will have a big impact on the architecture world and we'll most likely see its influence in many buildings down the road. It's distilled the basic elements of Modernism into such a palatable, understandable form, and has put them on such a such a grand stage, it's hard to conceive it won't.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 3:34 PM
JACKinBeantown

Does anyone know what level the core is at? 16 or 17? I ask about to core to be clear since there are several multi-story floors.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Does anyone know what level the core is at? 16 or 17? I ask about to core to be clear since there are several multi-story floors.
I can't speak for the multi-stories but, counting single floors, the exoskeleton is at 14 and the core is at 16.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive