HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 8:48 AM

Let me know if you see anything that is incorrect.

GREEN = Under Construction
BLUE = Proposed
RED = Dead

2012-2018 Downtown LA Cycle by Hunter, on Flickr

Last edited by ConstructDTLA; Jan 3, 2017 at 8:31 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post

GREEN = Under Construction
BLUE = Proposed
RED = Dead

2012-2018 Downtown LA Cycle by Hunter, on Flickr
What is 720 w cesar Chavez?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 7:33 PM

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 9:44 PM

Some updated openings for 2017 from DTNews:

January/February
- LA Historic Park
- Ten50
- Wren
- Metropolis Phase 1

March
- Hotel Figueroa
- Atelier
- ATMateo
- Freehand Hotel (Commercial Exchange Bldg)

May/June
- Wilshire Grand
- Sixth and Bixel
- MyFigueroa

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/p...d592b781e.html

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 2:07 AM

They finally had fireworks on NYE in dtla....

Video Link

I was in Times square several yrs ago, back when there was pretty much nothing more than a crystal ball dropping from a pole on the roof of a bldg and a message board then lighting up giving the date of the first day of the new yr. There were fireworks going off several blocks to the north around central pk, but not in times sq itself.

that was the way it had been done for decades. but nowadays, ppl....including me....are so spoiled & jaded, that watching a spherical object drop on a pole or looking at virtual fireworks projected against the backdrop of LA city hall just don't seem satisfying enough any longer.

Either way, LA has historically lacked anything...any public gathering space, period....on the night before the new yr. Pasadena, at least on the first day of the new yr, has had to do all the heavy lifting for the LA area for over 100 yrs.

Grand Pk on NYE: Better late than never!

A recent article about the site of a new museum next to the coliseum in expo pk suggests that being the final, approved location may be more ambiguous than assumed a few months ago. If so....if the decision that reportedly will be made shortly....goes against LA, that will be a big kick in the face to some of the major ppl...particularly friends of Lucas like jeffrey Katzenberg....who've been working on bringing the museum to expo pk.

Quote:
George Lucas museum location still up in the air

ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published on Jan. 3, 2017

George Lucas is no stranger to epic struggles on the big screen, but he didn’t expect one off-camera when it came to his art collection.

For nearly a decade, the filmmaker has tried to build a museum to house an extensive personal collection that includes 40,000 paintings, illustrations and film-related items. But legal entanglements and other complications have thwarted his efforts.

After several false starts, Lucas and his art team say they will decide later this month whether to put the museum in San Francisco or Los Angeles, a strategy that has stirred a California rivalry.

The prize is big, and both cities want it badly.

“This is the largest civic gift in American history,” LA Mayor Eric Garcetti told The Associated Press. “I think Los Angeles is the natural home for it” — a notion that San Francisco officials enthusiastically contest.

The Lucas Museum of Narrative Art, as it will be called, promises hundreds of jobs and a high-profile attraction — and it’s essentially free. The “Star Wars” creator is financing the project himself. He plans to spend more than $1 billion to build the museum, endow it and provide a trove of initial artworks valued at over $400 million. Together with Chinese architect Ma Yansong, Lucas has proposed a sleek, futuristic design looks like a cross between the Guggenheim and a galactic starfighter.

In October, Lucas unveiled similar but competing designs for Los Angeles and San Francisco sites, turning the project into a public competition. It seems to have worked. Government leaders in both cities have unanimously approved it. And officials are quick to stress that this time there is no apparent opposition, and construction could begin quickly ahead of a projected 2020 finish date.

Later this month, Lucas is convening the museum’s board to decide between two distinct locations.

In San Francisco, his project would virtually have an island unto itself. The city offered Lucas a 4-acre waterfront plot on Treasure Island, a man-made creation in the middle of the bay with cinematic views of the city skyline.

Lucas has spent most of his life in the San Francisco area, and Lucasfilm was based in the city before he sold it in 2012 to Disney Co.

Los Angeles has offered Lucas a 7-acre spot in Exposition Park, a sprawling cultural compound that holds three other museums and the Coliseum, home to the LA Rams. It has its own light rail station and is near the main campus of the University of Southern California, where Lucas went to film school.

“A museum should not be cloistered away from the people,” LA Mayor Garcetti said. “We don’t live life on islands.”

If Lucas has a favorite, Bacigalupi won’t say.

But Bacigalupi calls Treasure Island “sort of magical.” Not only does it offer stunning views, but the island would give the museum an iconic location on the water’s edge, which he compares to the Sydney Opera House. And, he says, Lucas is deeply devoted to the Bay Area.

Los Angeles is exciting for different reasons, he said. Its proximity to schools and being part of a community of museums “is certainly attractive,” he said. And, like San Francisco, Los Angeles is part of Lucas’ history.

“These are two spectacular places. Two great cities,” Bacigalupi says. “It’s a tough decision. But for all the right reasons.”

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 2:19 AM

So a Seattle former recently said since 2011, Downtown Seattle's had 19 buildings break ground over 398 ft.

Going off that chart, Downtown LA has had 13 over 398 ft since 2013. It should pass 19 some time in 2017.

You always hear about Seattle booming, but downtown LA has been more impressive in the last two years.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
So a Seattle former recently said since 2011, Downtown Seattle's had 19 buildings break ground over 398 ft.

Going off that chart, Downtown LA has had 13 over 398 ft since 2013. It should pass 19 some time in 2017.

You always hear about Seattle booming, but downtown LA has been more impressive in the last two years.
Seattle is a fraction of the size of LA (by population or area). In percentage terms, Seattle is building much more.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
Astani is no longer involved with OliveDTLA (G12 phase 1) according to the people showing the property. I think he is with phase 2 still.

I don't think 1155 S Oilive is under construction. There's absolutely nothing under construction on 1100 block of Olive anyway.

Lol at the Barry shy dates. I have zero confidence in those or any dates.

I think just maybe we're seeing the beginning of the end. I'm hopeful for many of the planned projects but I doubt half of the planned ones listed ever break ground with the current owners.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerhigherfaster View Post
Seattle is a fraction of the size of LA (by population or area). In percentage terms, Seattle is building much more.
Thats far from the point and downtown la is being rebuilt faster.

Seattles downtown has been considered prime real estate for at least 20 years.
I wouldnt even say la has reached that point yet.
Maybe in the last 3 years? 2?
It hasnt been long.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerhigherfaster View Post
What an ignorant statement. Even if you decide to look at it in that extremely narrow minded pesrspective...Seattle has more people downtown than LA...let's look at a bigger picture. Lets include the sub markets which is just as popular as than most cities across the country. Include the towers being built in Santa Monica, Hollywood, etc. The statement you made is honestly absurd.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 4:05 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ It's not an ignorant statement. It's a factually correct statement. Proportional to population and the number of existing housing units, Seattle is currently building a higher percentage of new housing units than LA, and significantly so. The stats in the Reddit article aren't exclusive to the downtown area.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 4:32 PM

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 7:52 PM

Thumbs up

Blue Bottle Coffee Opens in Downtown LA’s Historic Bradbury Building

http://brighamyen.com/2017/01/03/blu...bury-building/

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 8:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ It's not an ignorant statement. It's a factually correct statement. Proportional to population and the number of existing housing units, Seattle is currently building a higher percentage of new housing units than LA, and significantly so. The stats in the Reddit article aren't exclusive to the downtown area.
Yep

I think we do even worse than San Francisco on this front.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 11:32 PM

City is worse than SF, but region is better than the Bay Area overall.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Thats far from the point and downtown la is being rebuilt faster.

Seattles downtown has been considered prime real estate for at least 20 years.
I wouldnt even say la has reached that point yet.
Maybe in the last 3 years? 2?
It hasnt been long.
Seattle is probably the most YIMBY city in America now. In 2017 it's projected 10,000 new apartments will open there. We'll get 20,000 in LA if we're lucky. That would mean we're building twice as much as Seattle, despite being about 6 times larger.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 1:07 AM

What's happening with the "Jenga" tower near Pershing Square? Is it in the updates and I'm just not seeing it?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 2:22 AM

Seattle is doing really well.. so is L.A..

It's a great time for the whole West Coast.
The L.A. boom will continue for many more years. There is actually no end in sight (I could explain it in detail, but that would take to much time).
I hope we are able to handle the traffic issue, Measure M was the right move.

Not everything is perfect, but we had nothing 5-6 years ago... now take a look at our current situation. I don't even remember all the projects anymore. One word: Joy

Peace to Seatlle, SF and NY. Glad you guys are happy too.

Real DTLA Development Group

Last edited by black_crow; Jan 5, 2017 at 2:40 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 3:42 AM

My point was is downtow. la is basically going more vertical (over 398 ft) than downtown seattle, which is already more established and landlocked.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 4:06 AM

Changing the subject, did you all hear that the Angel Knoll site has basically unlimited height approved (13:1 ratio)?

This means that theoretically it could become the tallest building in L.A.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations