HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
And yes, I am very satisfied that it got rid of the "park like a rockstar" surface lot - that was such an embarrassing sign. As if surface parking right next to an arena downtown is something to celebrate!
LMAO! don't worry, I was just in san diego by the padres stadium and they have a similar lot that's actually sponsored by a high-end car company.. forget which one. It was like "The BMW VIP Lot" or some crap like that. I chuckled when I walked by. we definitely take our presumed "small town" image a little too seriously here!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
They have been working on building the scaffolding for the last two nights when I have been getting off at 01:30am.

I also noticed that Graham ave on the north sidewalk side has been torn up in places. Not sure what is going on there unless its for underground services for the building.
It’s just sewer work. Have to think more atreetacaping will happen when TNS wraps up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
LMAO! don't worry, I was just in san diego by the padres stadium and they have a similar lot that's actually sponsored by a high-end car company.. forget which one. It was like "The BMW VIP Lot" or some crap like that. I chuckled when I walked by. we definitely take our presumed "small town" image a little too seriously here!
The lot TNS is on was called “cityplace Rockstar Parking” before. Lol.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 4:33 AM
Rational urbanist

There is a ton of surface parking downtown, filling them all in will be quicker with smaller projects, even if they don't change the skyline much. Downtown is massive; in the near term, Winnipeg could be an outstanding mid-rise city.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 4:59 AM

^Yup.

PS a bunch of mechanical was being lifted up by the cranes tonight.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It’s just sewer work. Have to think more atreetacaping will happen when TNS wraps up.

The lot TNS is on was called “cityplace Rockstar Parking” before. Lol.
What is going in was not sewer work. The contractor was in the process of cutting in a slot trench to a BellMTS Manhole in the middle of Graham and Hargrave and then continuing the trench down the existing communications easement from when BelllMTS Place was built. They had a few trailers of of the orange plastic communications pipe to pull in.

As well they had 3 hydro-vac trucks and a few loaders going at it at 1am so it was fairly noisy. I wonder if the customers at the Delta Hotel would be complaining about the noise?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 3:02 PM
What could go wrong?

all these words are great and all, but I like pictures better...Next Page

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 3:06 PM

Thanks Biff, you've earned your margarita. Now go hit the beach!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 3:09 PM
What could go wrong?

Yeah....about that....unfortunately I am back now. I have no excuses but to devote every minute of my time to ensuring the TNS image is on the current page. My employer might not like it but hey.....priorities right?
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 5:35 PM
There is always a way

^the best part is that you'll be busy with that for the better part of the next 4 years when they move the camera to see the construction of the hotel and condo

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 5:50 PM

I love how on the patio of tavern they didn't even bother to try and store away the outdoor furniture for the winter. maybe they're waiting for the spring sun to warm it up... oh yeah, right..

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 6:13 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
^the best part is that you'll be busy with that for the better part of the next 4 years when they move the camera to see the construction of the hotel and condo
...wait...what? 4 more years? whoooo, I uh didn't even think of that.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 6:22 PM

What is going on on that site? The more time goes by the less likely I think they will hit their start of spring 2018.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 6:34 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
What is going on on that site? The more time goes by the less likely I think they will hit their start of spring 2018.
As I understand it, it's only tower 1 that needs to be ready for Spring 2018. Since it's long been topped out and now fully enclosed by exterior cladding, that doesn't look to be a problem.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
As I understand it, it's only tower 1 that needs to be ready for Spring 2018. Since it's long been topped out and now fully enclosed by exterior cladding, that doesn't look to be a problem.
Sorry I meant the hotel was supposed to start construction in Spring 2018.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Sorry I meant the hotel was supposed to start construction in Spring 2018.
Pretty sure they’ve said spring 2019 all along for site 2. Tower 2 isn’t even supposed to be finished in 2018 and they’ll need that staging site for a while.

Side note, looking at Biff’s picture – the tiny church parking lot and weird garage are going to look even more bizarre and out of place when TNS is done. Towers all around and this glorified car shed in the middle of it, beside a beautiful church lol. Didn’t seem so odd when it was surrounded by parking lots.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I love how on the patio of tavern they didn't even bother to try and store away the outdoor furniture for the winter. maybe they're waiting for the spring sun to warm it up... oh yeah, right..
They never actually tarp the furniture on the patio to store it as they may use it. A few Saturday's ago (Feb 17) they actually had an ice party with a DJ and full drink service up there.

Not sure how busy it was so I don't know if they will do it again for a function like that, but if the Jets get into the playoffs I am sure they will open it up again before summer.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
They never actually tarp the furniture on the patio to store it as they may use it. A few Saturday's ago (Feb 17) they actually had an ice party with a DJ and full drink service up there.

Not sure how busy it was so I don't know if they will do it again for a function like that, but if the Jets get into the playoffs I am sure they will open it up again before summer.
Ah cool. thanks for the enlightenment!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 8:32 PM

I think TNS will do plenty to fill the skyline... but ultimately that's a small bonus to the activity it hopefully generates (while hopefully pulling rents upward).

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
I think TNS will do plenty to fill the skyline... but ultimately that's a small bonus to the activity it hopefully generates (while hopefully pulling rents upward).

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
There is a ton of surface parking downtown, filling them all in will be quicker with smaller projects, even if they don't change the skyline much. Downtown is massive; in the near term, Winnipeg could be an outstanding mid-rise city.
Winnipeg has many mid-rise buildings as it is. Adding more doesn't necessarily improve the skyline as a whole. Maybe it would be preferable to fill the surface parking lots with some low-rise buildings in order to allow for some high-rise buildings. It's the construction of high-rise buildings that creates the impression that a city is actually growing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan