HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 5:19 PM
BANNED

Hopefully we see the former Hull's store redeveloped, preferably a plan involving an addition. I would love to see something like this, perhaps a few floors taller:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@34.74738...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Perhaps we may see the lot at Kennedy & St. Mary filled soon, and a few other nice infills in the area.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 5:31 PM

^ I was kind of wondering what might be in store for the Hull's building once PCL is done with it. It's in a pretty desirable location now.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 5:32 PM

Personally I think the gains in the TNS food court will come mostly at the expense of the CityPlace food court. It is a pretty open issue that the CityPlace food court has struggled for years to generate enough traffic to keep tenants and that it has a relatively high turn over. As much as TNS is going to bring a new audience it is also going to need to pull from outside its own borders. This is very much the same issue that the food court at 201 Portage ran into. The difference here is going to effectively relocating the CityPlace food court into TNS.

It is also interesting how the CityPlace food court is a common stop before MTS Centre events, especially Jets games, yet Chipman doesn't get a share of that revenue. Once they have the TNS food court they start making a slice of that money too.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Personally I think the gains in the TNS food court will come mostly at the expense of the CityPlace food court. It is a pretty open issue that the CityPlace food court has struggled for years to generate enough traffic to keep tenants and that it has a relatively high turn over. As much as TNS is going to bring a new audience it is also going to need to pull from outside its own borders. This is very much the same issue that the food court at 201 Portage ran into. The difference here is going to effectively relocating the CityPlace food court into TNS.

It is also interesting how the CityPlace food court is a common stop before MTS Centre events, especially Jets games, yet Chipman doesn't get a share of that revenue. Once they have the TNS food court they start making a slice of that money too.
There is rarely a seat to be found in the cityplace food court over the core lunch times. Part of the problem is the 4 person tables. Often only 2 or sometimes 1 are seated at these tables.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
There is rarely a seat to be found in the cityplace food court over the core lunch times. Part of the problem is the 4 person tables. Often only 2 or sometimes 1 are seated at these tables.
From memory the current CityPlace food court tables are at least the second generation. If I remember correctly the original ones were more blocky with independently movable chairs. That said the tables have seen better times and could likely benefit from a change to two person tables that could be joined. It is hard to find the right balance. Just look at the year old Commons @ The Forks and they have similar issues.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
I don't understand how DQ can afford the rent at TNS. Does this mean there will be no two dollar cheeseburgers?
They can afford it in other cities. The kicker is that they believe in the location, which is great for our downtown.
Quote:

City Place could benefit from TNS... The entire development plus hydro is more than enough to satisfy the supply of two food courts. City Place is doing better these days and I think most people downtown are still unaware of its recent improvements. More traffic, more people, more better.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I was kind of wondering what might be in store for the Hull's building once PCL is done with it. It's in a pretty desirable location now.
I believe True North owns it and is working on a plan to redevelop it.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 12:10 AM
BANNED

I was told it may become a pub, which would be perfect.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 3:48 AM

Great new little restaurant opening soonish in west broadway called "Langside Grocery." Looks like an awesome space!
Also I have not seen it mentioned here yet, I may have missed it, but the owners of Boucher Boucher are taking over the space of the old Basils/Black Rabbit. Have not talked to them yet so I don't know what they have planned or whether it will be restaurant/butcher/retail like Bouchee boucher.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 3:58 AM

It's essentially the same group of people that Black Rabbit was owned by. That's why you never saw any for sale or lease signs up. BR was former 7 1/4 people too. Hopefully they hire people that know how to run a business this time.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:06 AM

Not exactly, I got to see the good and the bad of 7 1/4, Alex and Danielle Svenne, the people who made bistro great but made the fatal decision to expand the restaurant without expanding the kitchen never had anything to do with BR. From what I understand they are not in charge of the "business/financial" side of Bouche Boucher, more the operations and creative. I agree though, the people that took over 7 1/4 after them and ultimately those who opened BR did not have a clue what they were doing.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
Not exactly, I got to see the good and the bad of 7 1/4, Alex and Danielle Svenne, the people who made bistro great but made the fatal decision to expand the restaurant without expanding the kitchen never had anything to do with BR. From what I understand they are not in charge of the "business/financial" side of Bouche Boucher, more the operations and creative. I agree though, the people that took over 7 1/4 after them and ultimately those who opened BR did not have a clue what they were doing.
You are correct. Black Rabbit was run by the people who took over 7 1/4 from the Svennes.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 1:30 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Black rabbit was over priced as well

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Definitely interesting. There were a couple large, vacant offices on other floors that 201 Portage had been using as similar conference spaces.

As for the changes, I am not sure if anyone else has noticed but three established food trucks have taken up residence in the 201 Portage driveway. One of them confirmed they are there for the whole season. The other interesting aspect is one does pizza which would seem to overlap with one of the food court tenants. All that seems to suggest something is likely to start happening sooner than later.

In terms of "variety" keep in mind there is likely the vacant unit between the esclators and the sushi place. It used to run a Starbucks like coffee place back before Starbucks was in the building. Between the sushi, muffins, the vacant unit, the smokes and snacks place and the announced location it has decent variety and has cut out the majority of the food court.

Link to Mercatino. Seems they operate three locations in Calgary.

Just walked by at lunch time. The food court is closed, so no issues about conflicts with the food trucks.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
Great new little restaurant opening soonish in west broadway called "Langside Grocery." Looks like an awesome space!
Also I have not seen it mentioned here yet, I may have missed it, but the owners of Boucher Boucher are taking over the space of the old Basils/Black Rabbit. Have not talked to them yet so I don't know what they have planned or whether it will be restaurant/butcher/retail like Bouchee boucher.
This is a round of good news. The Langside Grocery location is really cool. I look forward to visiting.

And the resurrection of the Black Rabbit space is great news, hopefully they open before patio season is over. I've actually seen workers at OVI lately too, so maybe the village isn't as screwed as we all thought.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
This is a round of good news. The Langside Grocery location is really cool. I look forward to visiting.

And the resurrection of the Black Rabbit space is great news, hopefully they open before patio season is over. I've actually seen workers at OVI lately too, so maybe the village isn't as screwed as we all thought.
It's got the same look from the outside as this cool little joint in the Boerum Hill area of Brooklyn:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@40.68591...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 6:56 PM

Quote:
It's got the same look from the outside as this cool little joint in the Boerum Hill area of Brooklyn:

What a phenomenal streetscape!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 7:00 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Too many panhandlers hung around Hull's when the store operated there. Maybe the pannies thought the Christians would be suckers to give 'em some $.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 7:05 PM

Quote:

That looks a lot like this:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.88370...8i6656!6m1!1e1
Sara and Langside

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 7:10 PM

Quote:
From memory the current CityPlace food court tables are at least the second generation. If I remember correctly the original ones were more blocky with independently movable chairs. That said the tables have seen better times and could likely benefit from a change to two person tables that could be joined. It is hard to find the right balance. Just look at the year old Commons @ The Forks and they have similar issues.
In the begining it had the plastic tables and round tube type seats. The tables were yellow and the tube seats were various coulors. typical 80's food court design.

I think there is still remnant's of them up in the rooftop penthouse storage area as the building managers didn't like to throw anything out from what I was told.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan