HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
The ball fields on the parkway are a rec ghetto. I've never seen them used so effectively every time I walk past / through it's just ugly barren dirt with the rest being a painfully boring grass field.

Maybe I should have used the term rec wasteland.
Eh, in the springtime the ball fields on the parkway get super heavy usage. It's where Fairmount plays baseball. The playground on the west side of the lot gets daily usage year-round. I'm not necessarily saying it's the best use of that site, but you should probably stop throwing around terms like like rec ghetto / wasteland. It's actually quite important to many of the people who actually live near it.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 2:01 PM

Quote:
The ball fields on the parkway are a rec ghetto. I've never seen them used so effectively every time I walk past / through it's just ugly barren dirt with the rest being a painfully boring grass field.

Maybe I should have used the term rec wasteland.
Well—it's obviously a seasonal thing. But I grew up in Logan Square, used those fields constantly, and know they are a vital part of everyone who still lives in the neighborhood when I visit. Is your problem with rec uses simply that you don't believe they're really being used? Or you feel it's unfair that they cannot be used otherwise when they are not being used? It is certainly a conflict but from experience and observations the city doesn't have enough rec space. To address the conflict in different users' needs, though, I would certainly concede the city could do a better job at coupling different uses at one site. For example, the southern periphery of Van Colln fields on the parkway could have a café, related structure, landscaping, and other park furniture to sort of maintain energy as you go up the parkway. I always come back to Paris on these issues. They nail them consistently.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 2:46 PM

I'm just saying ball fields etc don't double as parks when they're not in use. They have the aesthetic value of a green parking lot. Are you going to end your date on a bench in front of the empty ball field? If they want a Columbus Square Park then... I was just suggesting a bit more half and half unless those fields are in heavy use. Obviously we need some fields through out the city etc.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 4:18 PM

Quote:
I'm just saying ball fields etc don't double as parks when they're not in use. They have the aesthetic value of a green parking lot. Are you going to end your date on a bench in front of the empty ball field? If they want a Columbus Square Park then... I was just suggesting a bit more half and half unless those fields are in heavy use. Obviously we need some fields through out the city etc.
I disagree. Aesthetic value is subjective. When I bike up 9th Street and see this view of the skyline with the baseball field in front of it I'm always struck by how pretty it is. To me, it screams Americana. I can almost taste the hotdogs now.

https://goo.gl/maps/iPBkyAxrhLv

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by br323206 View Post
I disagree. Aesthetic value is subjective. When I bike up 9th Street and see this view of the skyline with the baseball field in front of it I'm always struck by how pretty it is. To me, it screams Americana. I can almost taste the hotdogs now.

https://goo.gl/maps/iPBkyAxrhLv
I completely agree, love skyline shots with ballparks in the foreground.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 1:29 AM

6th and Addison Society Hill development - 4 floors - apartments

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...n-society-hill

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 1:44 AM

The Study Hotel at University City crane from the Schuylkill Boardwalk
Pretty crazy that most of the towers in this pic are brand new: 3601 Market, The Summit, Chestnut Square and Drexel LeBow Hall.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 1:50 AM

Work has started on the Schuylkill River Trail extension

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Work has started on the Schuylkill River Trail extension

God.

Is there any chance at all that a billboard is coming down?

This city has so god damned many billboards. Never seen anything like it.

Are we THAT desperate for the pennies of revenue they generate for city coffers?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 12:27 PM
Arch. Engineer+Developer

A new Restaurant is coming to 16th & Chestnut street where the Children's Place is now. I can't provide any more details.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 9:43 PM
Fishtown & Country

Friday, 9-25. This thing at 2nd & Fairmount seems almost done. A sign in the window said a wood-fired pizzeria was coming.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blart View Post
Friday, 9-25. This thing at 2nd & Fairmount seems almost done. A sign in the window said a wood-fired pizzeria was coming.
This is awesome! Like the architecture, density, use...everything. Thanks Blart!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch+Eng View Post
A new Restaurant is coming to 16th & Chestnut street where the Children's Place is now. I can't provide any more details.
Great. That's good news. Figured that costume store was a temporary deal for the Halloween season.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blart View Post
Very different looking. I like it.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 1:40 AM

Philadelphia

Philadelphia by James, on Flickr

The City of Philadelphia by James, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 11:51 PM

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
If only the navy yard wasn’t so close to the airport, because that location would of been fantastic for taller buildings. The view of Center City and University City from that location is awesome in this picture.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 11:47 PM

Dalian on the Park - 22nd and Pennsylvania Ave - 10 floors
Update from Building Philly

https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 12:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
interesting, that store has been there for years. I think there was a rite aid there before that. I hope it moves to a vacant space on chestnut. Way too much vacancy on chestnut east of 15th street.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Hopefully they demo that building, it's a total hideous eyesore. Nothing says cozy Children's boutique like shiny, black Darth-Vader-Helmet tile with, blacked-out windows along 16th Street. quaint...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
interesting, that store has been there for years. I think there was a rite aid there before that. I hope it moves to a vacant space on chestnut. Way too much vacancy on chestnut east of 15th street.
The Children's Place is new there, relocating in late 2013.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development