HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 3:49 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
That's an awesome picture Jimby. I wish I had a good camera to take pictures when I'm down there.
Thanks! I had nothing better to do while I sat there waiting for the traffic to start moving.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 3:58 AM
Acey

One lane of the new westbound 96 Ave bridges opened today, just the centre lane with equipment and stuff in the left and right lanes. Airport Trail widening to 6 lanes also done, with a Jersey barrier in the middle (constant slope barrier, I guess... like the ones throughout Stoney SE)

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 6:06 PM

I knew it would just be a matter of time, after avoiding literally dozens of accidents at the Dartmouth Road Traffic circle some dipshit has finally take me out.

I entered the traffic circle via Dartmouth Road South and was planning on taking the Highfield road exit. I had to slam on the brakes to avoid some jackass blowing the yield entering the circle from Dartmouth Road North, only to have the guy right behind him also run the yield and plow into me.

Luckily for all of us, despite playing an ungodly amount of GTA 5 recently, I'm still able to separate reality from video games and didn't go all Trevor Philips on him.

The cop at the police station had nothing nice to say about that traffic circle or the folks who designed it and suggested that I call 311 and complain as they can't do anything about it.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 7:43 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I knew it would just be a matter of time, after avoiding literally dozens of accidents at the Dartmouth Road Traffic circle some dipshit has finally take me out.

I entered the traffic circle via Dartmouth Road South and was planning on taking the Highfield road exit. I had to slam on the brakes to avoid some jackass blowing the yield entering the circle from Dartmouth Road North, only to have the guy right behind him also run the yield and plow into me.

Luckily for all of us, despite playing an ungodly amount of GTA 5 recently, I'm still able to separate reality from video games and didn't go all Trevor Philips on him.

The cop at the police station had nothing nice to say about that traffic circle or the folks who designed it and suggested that I call 311 and complain as they can't do anything about it.
Shitty luck for you Ramsayfarian but I have to wonder if the part in bold is true? If so that is somewhat disturbing in that the police have no input as to whether a road is unsafe. You would think that the government would at least take their opinions into account.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 8:05 PM

You don't deal with the city much obviously. You would have to go through roads and transportation (2 different departments) to get something to happen with that, and CP would probably get a say as well.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 9:37 PM

Quote:

It will be a good thing when these are slowly checked off and grade separated. I have no idea what the threshold for traffic / collision risk is that pushes this into something that gets built. When railway / road intersection improvements seem random at best. I am guessing the federal authority over the railways that has a lot to do with it.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 10:26 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post
It will be a good thing when these are slowly checked off and grade separated. I have no idea what the threshold for traffic / collision risk is that pushes this into something that gets built. When railway / road intersection improvements seem random at best. I am guessing the federal authority over the railways that has a lot to do with it.
This has more to do with the traffic circle and Calgarian's (not the SSP member) inability to navigate traffic circles without issues.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 4:36 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Interesting piece in the Herald by Jack Mintz on Toll Roads:

Quote:
Mintz: For whom the toll road rings, let it ring for all

BY JACK MINTZ, CALGARY HERALD OCTOBER 15, 2013

As the municipal election soon comes to a close on Monday, Calgary voters have some pretty critical issues to sort out at the ballot box. One of the most important raised throughout this campaign is how best to handle urban growth — expansion or intensification.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion...169/story.html

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Shitty luck for you Ramsayfarian but I have to wonder if the part in bold is true? If so that is somewhat disturbing in that the police have no input as to whether a road is unsafe. You would think that the government would at least take their opinions into account.
Sorry for the tardy reply. That's what the officer that took my statement told me. The CPS have no say in road design or layout.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 7:41 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
I don't doubt you for a second and I'm sure the cop is telling the truth too. It would be absurd to ask the police for input into road design prior to construction however they are the ones that see the results of said poor design on a daily basis and are the ones determining cause. You would think they could go to a City or Province and tell them this road or that road is poorly designed, is causing accidents, and here is the data to prove it.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the tardy reply. That's what the officer that took my statement told me. The CPS have no say in road design or layout.
Does a database exist, likely CPS I would think, of all the locations of accidents in the past, say 10 years? I assume if it was serious enough to be reported, they have it plotted on the map.

This is anecdotal but I live near 5th Street SW south of 17th ave for almost 2 years. I have seen 5 rear-ender accidents at 22nd avenue by the ped crossing light, all heading southbound on 5th and requiring police / ems assistance. No pedestrian injuries as far as I know, but one day someone wont be lucky.

I have seen others nearby (a couple at royal avenue a block north, but mainly car-on-car turning from Royal and getting clipped). But that many at one intersection should imply an issue with road design and traffic management no?

I assume they look at data like that to see if a particular intersection needs improvement, I would hope at least.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 6:08 AM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post

This is anecdotal but I live near 5th Street SW south of 17th ave for almost 2 years.
That speed limit should be 40kph tops through that stretch. No reason for it not to be...

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Interesting piece in the Herald by Jack Mintz on Toll Roads:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion...169/story.html
I've never been a fan of toll roads, but I actually like most of the arguments presented here. Interesting read!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 4:13 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 2:56 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Thanks for posting that YNAT. Calgary definitely getting more of a "big city" feel with the completion of these airport projects.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 5:08 PM

Province is apparently looking at designated lane use on the Deerfoot including HOV and bus lanes. HOV might be a good idea but I'll believe it when I see it.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/al...642/story.html

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitWhat? View Post
Province is apparently looking at designated lane use on the Deerfoot including HOV and bus lanes. HOV might be a good idea but I'll believe it when I see it.

Oh good, more nanny state social engineering. Make all the peasants get out of their cars and into buses while the MLA's are driven around in their limos.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davee930 View Post
Oh good, more nanny state social engineering. Make all the peasants get out of their cars and into buses while the MLA's are driven around in their limos.
Yup, that's what that is.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 6:13 PM
Crunchin' the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davee930 View Post
Great parody.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitWhat? View Post

I can't think of any section of Deerfoot that would benefit from that currently... this seems to me like it would just back up traffic further while single occupant vehicles tie up weave-zones and offramps/onramps because they can't go anywhere else.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure