HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Not nice! I am Golden Knights fan. They won the Stanley Cup championship by last year. I have been in Vegas for a many times. I know Las Vegas very well. You have be respectful to Golden Knights. They are very good team.
Wrong. I now hate your team.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 9:36 PM
They all float down here

The Delta Center had a decent upgrade and it's certainly serviceable as a NBA arena but it's not considered anywhere near the top in overall quality (when, about two decades ago, it would have been). It's extremely likely, even if Salt Lake never got a NHL team, that a new arena would have been proposed within the next ten years anyway.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 5:02 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
The Delta Center had a decent upgrade and it's certainly serviceable as a NBA arena but it's not considered anywhere near the top in overall quality (when, about two decades ago, it would have been). It's extremely likely, even if Salt Lake never got a NHL team, that a new arena would have been proposed within the next ten years anyway.
And the excitement of bringing in a new NHL team likely makes it more politically feasible to use public dollars for it (maybe that was part of Smith’s plan?) Although it appears the public isn’t being consulted much in this process anyway.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 5:23 PM

I've not kept up on the situation in Utah, but, so the Coyotes (or whatever the new name will be) are going to play in the Delta Center next year? If so, that's funny. That sounds exactly like when they moved to Phoenix in 1996 and played in America West Arena (at the time it was only 4 years old). I saw many-a-game there, including in obstructed view seats where you couldn't even see one of the nets.

I suppose that is more palatable to the NHL than playing at 5,000 seat Mullet again next year, but still, this whole thing is bizarre. Essentially forcing a move to a smaller market without a long-term arena situation in place.

And what's the leading name for the Utah team? Is it Yetis? And can someone explain what UY means or symbolizes? I thought I read that somewhere in here at one point.

I personally don't like that name, aren't the Avalanche kind of half-associated with Bigfoot/yetis already?

Whatever the name and logos and uniforms become, I don't have much hope that it will be good (nor anywhere near as awesome as the Coyotes/kachina/peyote coyote uniform and logo). 5 months isn't much time to put something together.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 5:44 PM
Space Magi

Other than the slightly better arena situation and Ryan Smith paying double what they're worth to bring them to SLC, they will be coming to a place where the entire political apparatus is unified on this issue and committed to building the former-Coyotes a new arena and entertainment district.

I have no idea what the general public at large thinks but the powers that be are all-in on this.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I've not kept up on the situation in Utah, but, so the Coyotes (or whatever the new name will be) are going to play in the Delta Center next year? If so, that's funny. That sounds exactly like when they moved to Phoenix in 1996 and played in America West Arena (at the time it was only 4 years old). I saw many-a-game there, including in obstructed view seats where you couldn't even see one of the nets.

I suppose that is more palatable to the NHL than playing at 5,000 seat Mullet again next year, but still, this whole thing is bizarre. Essentially forcing a move to a smaller market without a long-term arena situation in place.

And what's the leading name for the Utah team? Is it Yetis? And can someone explain what UY means or symbolizes? I thought I read that somewhere in here at one point.

I personally don't like that name, aren't the Avalanche kind of half-associated with Bigfoot/yetis already?

Whatever the name and logos and uniforms become, I don't have much hope that it will be good (nor anywhere near as awesome as the Coyotes/kachina/peyote coyote uniform and logo). 5 months isn't much time to put something together.
I agree with you on the arena thing. DC is a terrible venue for viewing hockey just like Suns arena. I think Ryan Smith must be a really great salesman. I know funding is in place for a new arena, but there are no concrete plans yet. Hopefully soon

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 6:39 PM

I think, more then anything, they just got fed up with the current ownership. There are reports that the Coyotes weren't even paying their hotel bills and hotels started asking for payment up front.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Other than the slightly better arena situation and Ryan Smith paying double what they're worth to bring them to SLC, they will be coming to a place where the entire political apparatus is unified on this issue and committed to building the former-Coyotes a new arena and entertainment district.

I have no idea what the general public at large thinks but the powers that be are all-in on this.
$1.2B - $1.3B without a bidding war against billionaires in places like Houston and Atlanta also wanting an expansion team seems pretty decent. Gary has been talking billion dollar entry fee for a while.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/us/nhl/n...-next-nhl-team

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 8:08 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:

For the first few years the Avs had a Yeti mascot named Howler, but he was quietly retired after getting into a brawl with a fan. Now we are just a force of nature.

Quote:
Not sure if I would ever have described the Coyote's uniform as awesome. The alternative is the one with the style.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
For the first few years the Avs had a Yeti mascot named Howler, but he was quietly retired after getting into a brawl with a fan. Now we are just a force of nature.

Not sure if I would ever have described the Coyote's uniform as awesome. The alternative is the one with the style.
Looks like the bigfoot reference was ended by about 2014 for the team:
https://www.sportslogos.net/logos/vi...Secondary_Logo

The Coyotes uniform and kachina/peyote coyote is awesome and unique in it's own bizarre way. It's definitely gained status as a beloved look around the "uni-verse". Although I can see why it also has its distractors.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 9:09 PM

Quote:

Oh yeah, look how unified the entire political apparatus is on public funding for stadium projects... LOL.

“Insidious.”

“Negotiating with terrorists.”

“Gentrified beyond control.”

Those terms represent a sampling of the blunt banter bandied about by Salt Lake City Council members as Utah lawmakers and one of the state’s most powerful companies formulated a billion-dollar plan to lure Major League Baseball to the west side.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2024/03/...th-terrorists/

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 9:18 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Oh yeah, look how unified the entire political apparatus is on public funding for stadium projects... LOL.

“Insidious.”

“Negotiating with terrorists.”

“Gentrified beyond control.”

Those terms represent a sampling of the blunt banter bandied about by Salt Lake City Council members as Utah lawmakers and one of the state’s most powerful companies formulated a billion-dollar plan to lure Major League Baseball to the west side.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2024/03/...th-terrorists/
Biggest takeaway is that the Trib editorial board is more against the MLB bill than the SLC delegation was by the end of the session.

Trib being the Trib, framing the saga in bad faith. Also, we are talking about NHL right now, no?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 2:34 PM

Quote:

There's no "leading" name because it's just random people on Twitter throwing out random names like Yeti. Smith put out a tweet to solicit name ideas, which of course in the fine print of his web form said "if you fill out this form you give up all copyrights to the name you suggest". But it won't be Yeti, that's for sure.

There's a lot of creative people online, Ryan Smith has already engaged with one on Twitter who was throwing out quite a few logo/uniform design ideas. They'll come up with something.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 3:43 PM
Space Magi

I heard from a legislator that the plan is to demolish Abravanel Hall and the Raddisson and put 200 W and 300 W underground between Main Street and the Delta Center. This will create a pedestrian promenade along South Temple that will be lined with entertainment and shopping.

No idea what that means for the Delta Center. Makes me think that they want to rebuild it in-place.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 4:44 PM

I can see a lot of changes coming in and around the Delta Center, including demoing the Raddison. However, I'll believe it when I see it, that they would go so far as to demo Abravanel. It is considered one of the most acoustically perfect concert halls in the world. Not to mention demoing the name of a legendary conductor. The cost to replace that Hall would be astronomical. Does anyone know just the cost alone to replace the hundreds of feet of gold leaf at today's prices? Of course, the name Abravanel would have to remain prominent on a new bragging rights lavish Hall. I imagine the replacement costs would be in the hundreds of millions. Even more unbelievable would be the LDS Church giving up their dreams of expanding their Headquarters Vatican-style Campus to the West. I think there will be a lot of other opportunities that make more sense unless because of the Olympics, the Federal Government is going to throw in a few billion for vanity's sake. Even if billions are going to be pumped into these CBD, life changing developments I think there are better options.

Edit: On second thought I shouldn't be too quick to dismiss 'the skies the limit' when it comes to The Church's deep pockets. It could be that they are thinking about moving those expansion concepts to another location and refocusing the current campus in a bit of a different direction. One thing is for sure, this whole guessing game is getting even bigger than the guessing game before City Creek's creation.

Last edited by delts145; Apr 16, 2024 at 4:57 PM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 5:57 PM

This is probably the biggest announcement since the CCC. I feel like I've been checking this forum about every 10min haha.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 6:40 PM
Engineer

Quote:
I heard from a legislator that the plan is to demolish Abravanel Hall and the Raddisson and put 200 W and 300 W underground between Main Street and the Delta Center. This will create a pedestrian promenade along South Temple that will be lined with entertainment and shopping.

No idea what that means for the Delta Center. Makes me think that they want to rebuild it in-place.
Wait what? Demolishing Abravanel Hall (and, presumably, UMOCA) would make it way easier and cheaper to build some new convention space and replace some that may be sacrificed to make way for this arena/entertainment district, but still I didn't think that was ever a consideration and I'm assuming there would be a plan to replace it somewhere, no? That may get expensive, as delts said. I would hope they could preserve items from the current hall.

Also, this talk of undergrounding streets makes me certain the church will use this as an opportunity to underground streets between their properties in the process, and take some degree of control over what happens at surface level, like I speculated a couple days ago.

And pedestrian promenade as in...closed to car traffic?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
Wait what? Demolishing Abravanel Hall (and, presumably, UMOCA) would make it way easier and cheaper to build some new convention space and replace some that may be sacrificed to make way for this arena/entertainment district, but still I didn't think that was ever a consideration and I'm assuming there would be a plan to replace it somewhere, no? That may get expensive, as delts said. I would hope they could preserve items from the current hall.

Also, this talk of undergrounding streets makes me certain the church will use this as an opportunity to underground streets between their properties in the process, and take some degree of control over what happens at surface level, like I speculated a couple days ago.

And pedestrian promenade as in...closed to car traffic?
Is this all supposedly for the entertainment district around creation of an NHL viable arena?

The price tag for all this sounds insane. Can't wait to see some actual plans.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 10:18 PM
They all float down here

Quote:

How? There's no where for the Jazz and this hockey team to play during the two-to-three years it'll take to build a new arena. People keep mentioning this without offering up the how and I promise you the Jazz aren't going to go play in the Maverik Center for a couple years. Not at its current capacity.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 11:15 PM
They all float down here

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West