HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: How many people will inhabit the Winnipeg CMA in 2026?
850,000-874,999 4 9.09%
875,000-889,000 9 20.45%
890,000-904,999 17 38.64%
905,000+ 14 31.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 12:14 AM

Let's calculate

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 12:17 AM

So we can guess CMA Winnipeg is 913,880. 62% of Manitoba 1,474,000 mid/late December

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 4:10 AM

^Cool. I chose the 4th option. And we're there years beforehand.

Almost 1/2 a million people immigrated to Canada in the last quarter. That is a BIG number. Not many countries doing that.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
^Cool. I chose the 4th option. And we're there years beforehand.

Almost 1/2 a million people immigrated to Canada in the last quarter. That is a BIG number. Not many countries doing that.
We might fall short of 950,000 but 940,000 sounds like it is within easy reach for the 2026 Canadian Census for CMA Winnipeg..

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 10:31 AM

The CMA should reach 1M in about 3 years (joining the box six) if this population growth keeps up. That will be a major milestone for the city and a game changer for the city's future. It's not perfect growth, but it will be good for the city overall.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
The CMA should reach 1M in about 3 years (joining the box six) if this population growth keeps up. That will be a major milestone for the city and a game changer for the city's future. It's not perfect growth, but it will be good for the city overall.

Admitting insane amounts of people outside of Canada for the past two years, without the housing and infrastructure to support them, is a recipe for a social disaster. It will not be good for anyone.

Having said that, home prices in Calgary have skyrocketed, considering how many people from Toronto and BC are coming there, after being priced out of their regions. Edmonton has relatively inexpensive homes for now, but I can see that changing drastically in the next 12 months.

The end result may be a population boom in Manitoba and Saskatchewan, considering they are the two most affordable provinces to live in. If this happens, I can easily see the Winnipeg CMA surpassing 1,000,000 people before the end of the decade.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
It's going to be a disaster without housing to support the new people. This summer there were tent cities everywhere in Edmonton. It's actually quite scary in some areas.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
It's going to be a disaster without housing to support the new people. This summer there were tent cities everywhere in Edmonton. It's actually quite scary in some areas.
I find downtown winnipeg is getting scarier. I never used to be scared to go downtown, I kind of am now. After what happened to us at the manitoba theatre centre during intermission last Sunday afternoon, I’ll be more cautious. Shitty thing was having to wait for the usher to unlock the doors so we could get back into the building. The POS had started to walk away at that point but he was still yelling at us, he saw us talking to the staff there through the windows so he came back, The POS then broke into the doors and was in the box office area trying to get into the lobby thank god those doors also had locks. The lobby was full of old ladies. What would have happened if he had got in?

There was four of us and one of him on the sidewalk out front but he didn’t care, just full out angry agression. We were in his fucking way. What if I had been alone? Would he have attacked instead of just getting up in my face?
Not something I want to experience again.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
I find downtown winnipeg is getting scarier. I never used to be scared to go downtown, I kind of am now. After what happened to us at the manitoba theatre centre during intermission last Sunday afternoon, I’ll be more cautious. Shitty thing was having to wait for the usher to unlock the doors so we could get back into the building. The POS had started to walk away at that point but he was still yelling at us, he saw us talking to the staff there through the windows so he came back, The POS then broke into the doors and was in the box office area trying to get into the lobby thank god those doors also had locks. The lobby was full of old ladies. What would have happened if he had got in?

There was four of us and one of him on the sidewalk out front but he didn’t care, just full out angry agression. We were in his fucking way. What if I had been alone? Would he have attacked instead of just getting up in my face?
I think some knowledge from Winnipeg's past in this case. 4 dudes, 1 aggressor? Two on the limbs, one in the gut, one on the face. He wouldn't bothering people afterwards. I hate that we have to get to vigilantism but WPS has effectively abandoned the enforcement of public order the courts are compromised with soft judges and the fringe minority of homeless folk are being emboldened. Winnipeg has experienced these types of things before and in those days, people policed themselves.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 2:27 PM

Quote:

That does sound scary. Sounds like someone with substance abuse or mental health issues (usually both), and it could make for a very bad combination in most people. Here in Edmonton, the LRT system is insane. Stabbings, beatings, people attempting to push strangers onto the tracks. It's crazy.

I rode the train recently at the Southglen station, which actually is in a good part of town. When entering the station, one is overcome with the stench of urine. And of course, there are a dozen homeless people, who seem to occupy corners of the station, sometimes doing meth in the open. And of course, the odd person yelling to himself, acting unhinged.

It has become so bad that the city is planning on implementing a "turn-style" entrance, where one is required to scan their pass to enter. This is only going to get worse with the housing crisis. 1,000,000 is a cool number, but when we step back and look at the social costs of not keeping up with the unexpected growth in population, it becomes something to dread.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
I think some knowledge from Winnipeg's past in this case. 4 dudes, 1 aggressor? Two on the limbs, one in the gut, one on the face. He wouldn't bothering people afterwards. I hate that we have to get to vigilantism but WPS has effectively abandoned the enforcement of public order the courts are compromised with soft judges and the fringe minority of homeless folk are being emboldened. Winnipeg has experienced these types of things before and in those days, people policed themselves.
That's great in theory, but does not work well in actual practice, if anyone in the group does not have legitimate combat training. The problem with these types of situations, is the fear of the unknown. The number of demented/drug addicted people that are carrying weapons (usually knives) is an issue we tend to not want to address.

I'm 6'2/210, and I would hesitate about confronting a mentally unhinged individual, considering it's far more dangerous than just dealing with some random asshole in Little Italy. It's difficult to diffuse situations for people that seem relatively normal, that are hot headed. Throw in $100 of meth, and untreated schizophrenia into the mix, and ....well I value my life a little too much to be acting like the sheriff in town.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 3:00 PM

I think anyone who has seriously looked at the issues of crime & drugs realizes it's not just a policing issue or a healthcare issue but a complicated mashup of social and economic issues that don't get solved by a single approach. Anyone who has had an addictions issue, or a family member who has had one, will know how incredibly difficult it can be to get over what has hold of a person. Sorry, I have no suggestion for a quick fix, just treat addictions, enforce laws, and try to tone down the societal rhetoric that encourages quick fixes to unhappiness...and then repeat, repeat, repeat.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 4:03 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I think anyone who has seriously looked at the issues of crime & drugs realizes it's not just a policing issue or a healthcare issue but a complicated mashup of social and economic issues that don't get solved by a single approach. Anyone who has had an addictions issue, or a family member who has had one, will know how incredibly difficult it can be to get over what has hold of a person. Sorry, I have no suggestion for a quick fix, just treat addictions, enforce laws, and try to tone down the societal rhetoric that encourages quick fixes to unhappiness...and then repeat, repeat, repeat.
And to be honest, this full-fledged harm reduction model is not working anymore. You would need to mandate treatment for substance use issues- especially where it intersects with the law. At the end of the day though, the substance use is just a coping mechanism for far greater issues that person might be experiencing. Poverty, mental health issues, trauma. And we do a pitiful job in this province with mental health resources- especially in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
And the housing crisis brought on by bringing in more people that we can accommodate, will just make this problem exponentially worse.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
And the housing crisis brought on by bringing in more people that we can accommodate, will just make this problem exponentially worse.
I question this. On the surface it looks like more people=fewer housing options, but how many people find themselves out of the housing market due to prices? How many developers choose to build larger numbers of affordable housing units when they can possibly make more money building a fewer numbers of more expensive houses?

In my work I frequently see new Canadians working hard to improve their skills in a number of areas in order to build a prosperous life for themselves and their families. Personally I simply can't blame the housing crisis on bringing in "too many people". We're a country, not a hotel, we can grow.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Dont blame WPS, blame soft hearted huggers who dont believe in justice. WPS and majority other police forces have hands tied. look at the videos frm Ottawa mall on the weeken, Palestine Hamas supporters threatning to kill the cops right to their face.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Dont blame WPS, blame soft hearted huggers who dont believe in justice. WPS and majority other police forces have hands tied. look at the videos frm Ottawa mall on the weeken, Palestine Hamas supporters threatning to kill the cops right to their face.
That’s nuts what happened in Ottawa… and our premier wants more Palestinian refugees to come here. There’s a reason Jordan, Egypt, turkey and others don’t want to take them in, they don’t want militants to come and cause problems there. But we’re offering open arms to prove some kind of ridiculous woke point.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Dont blame WPS, blame soft hearted huggers who dont believe in justice. WPS and majority other police forces have hands tied. look at the videos frm Ottawa mall on the weeken, ......... supporters threatning to kill the cops right to their face.
I vote that this enlightened conversation be moved elsewhere. Maybe "Western Expresso", the musty basement of a suburban bungalow, or the police union cafeteria?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 7:52 PM

This is what the housing accelerator thing is supposed to do. Increase number of units being constructed over baseline, which are mostly adding density to existing neighbourhoods.

If it were really up to the Cons, we'd only be letting in white people with high paying jobs to the country. Those people typically do not want to move to Canada in large amounts. The country would go stagnant because unfortunately the whole world economy is based on growth. And like most places, growth needs population increase.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
That’s nuts what happened in Ottawa… and our premier wants more Palestinian refugees to come here. There’s a reason Jordan, Egypt, turkey and others don’t want to take them in, they don’t want militants to come and cause problems there. But we’re offering open arms to prove some kind of ridiculous woke point.
That was actually at Eaton Centre and according to Toronto police, was not directed at their officers and the person didn't want to pursue charges as per the National Post.

Either way it seems like a hell of a stretch to extrapolate from "angry dude yelling in a mall" to "existential terrorist threat". I don't condone that kind of threatening language but let's be real, those kinds of words are uttered every single day all over this country on the roads, in bars, at sporting events, at healthcare workers. Clutching pearls over that seems a little silly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan