HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 1:32 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
This exchange perfectly represents the myopic idiocy of the woke cult.

The hyperbolic exaggeration is staggering. Visible minorities in 21st century Canada are subjected to hundreds/thousands of racist experiences? Really?

Your evidence is a perceived micro-aggression that was apparently so blatant and bizarre that the "victim" remembered it. Meaning that kind of thing hasn't actually happened to this person hundreds and thousands of times. Is a hick in a small town a snarling racist because he makes an assumption that the white guy understands English and the East Asian might not, or is he just guided by his experience with tourists, or maybe his upbringing when Canada wasn't so racially diverse? He's definitely a bit stupid, though, because she clearly spoke English to him. Sure, it's rude to completely ignore someone in that context. He's a small-minded rural guy. Did he hurt her feelings by his actions?

Boo hoo. Meh.

My visible minority wife has experienced one incidence of racism in her 22 years in Canada. One summer evening about fifteen years ago while walking along the street she made out the word "ch--ky" in the boisterous and mostly incomprehensible shouting from a passing car full of teenage idiots.

She was shocked and angry about it. I was, too.

Here's where proportion comes in to play. Had she been subjected to this kind of abuse "hundreds and thousands" of times over the last 22 years, along with legal and administrative prejudice and any other number of racist behaviours and actions, and not just from drunken teenage boys invariably destined for lives of penury and even incarceration, but from a plurality of adults holding regular jobs who are generally a part of the mainstream of the community, then I would be right with you in decrying racism in Canada and pushing for change. Or she and I would have returned to her country of origin because the racism here was so exhausting and debilitating.

But it is not, and she has not. Uh, yeah, this is anecdotal. But how likely would it be that she is one of the few exceptions to the rule? How is it that so much of the evidence provided for white supremacy and racism in Canada amounts to microaggressions like not looking someone in the eye? Or, say, boil water advisories in remote native communities that are being addressed to the tune of billions of dollars of wealth transfers from non-indigenous people to indigenous peoples? Ironically, this actually is "systemic racism" in the sense that, you know, people are being given facilities for producing potable water free of charge solely due to their race.

A sense of proportion and logic. You have neither. You do have a flair for scatological insults directed at the one tribe left that the woke have decreed you can be prejudiced against, though, so you got that going for you.
Since it seems like anecdotes are admissible as "evidence" now...

My best friend throughout my youth was a visible minority guy. We liked to go out - a lot.

I mean, we'd go out 4-5 nights a week sometimes.

We'd go on party trips so I've been out with him in Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Gatineau, Quebec City, Toronto, and all sorts of places in small town Quebec and Ontario in between.

Out of what were probably hundreds of outings in bars, pubs, taverns, restaurants, discos, etc., do you know how many times he was told he couldn't enter, or made to feel he didn't belong there?

ZERO.

And this was in the 1990s. 30 years ago.

I know this for a fact. I was walking in the door and standing right next to him all those times.

Interestingly enough, I hadn't seen him for a while as he'd been living in another city for a while, but recently returned to the region.

We went out for dinner and drinks about a month ago, and since we like to talk about everything under the sun, this topic came up. He's actually the one who brought it up. He mentioned that the only time he really felt racially excluded was when we were teens,when he recalled a mutual friend of ours said something like "you know, you're not really like us, you're not really one of us"... He said that shocked him at the time but since then things have been pretty quiet.

I find that with most minority people they all have these types of incidents that stand out, like my friend and your wife. Some certainly do have more of them than just one-offs like these, and I'd suppose it would also be quite exceptional for a minority person to have none.

Still, the idea that the average individual minority person gets insulted or attacked as a regular part of life, isn't something I've ever heard anyone I know complain about.

So someone tell me why should I believe a bunch of random white guys on a forum instead of the minority guy who was the best man at my wedding, and his family who are like my own second family?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 4:36 AM
Fake News

Are you saying… I checked with my black friend and racism doesn’t exist…???

Last edited by O-tacular; Nov 23, 2021 at 5:06 AM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 5:03 AM
Fake News

Quote:
This exchange perfectly represents the myopic idiocy of the woke cult.
Myopic? Says the guy who only ever spews pretentious word salad screeds against ‘wokeism’.

Quote:
The hyperbolic exaggeration is staggering. Visible minorities in 21st century Canada are subjected to hundreds/thousands of racist experiences? Really?
In a country of 30 plus million people that seems quite likely.

Quote:
Your evidence is a perceived micro-aggression that was apparently so blatant and bizarre that the "victim" remembered it. Meaning that kind of thing hasn't actually happened to this person hundreds and thousands of times. Is a hick in a small town a snarling racist because he makes an assumption that the white guy understands English and the East Asian might not, or is he just guided by his experience with tourists, or maybe his upbringing when Canada wasn't so racially diverse? He's definitely a bit stupid, though, because she clearly spoke English to him. Sure, it's rude to completely ignore someone in that context. He's a small-minded rural guy. Did he hurt her feelings by his actions?

Boo hoo. Meh.
Yeah you’re totally right. She should have just laughed off the indignity.

Quote:
My visible minority wife has experienced one incidence of racism in her 22 years in Canada. One summer evening about fifteen years ago while walking along the street she made out the word "ch--ky" in the boisterous and mostly incomprehensible shouting from a passing car full of teenage idiots.

She was shocked and angry about it. I was, too.

Here's where proportion comes in to play. Had she been subjected to this kind of abuse "hundreds and thousands" of times over the last 22 years, along with legal and administrative prejudice and any other number of racist behaviours and actions, and not just from drunken teenage boys invariably destined for lives of penury and even incarceration, but from a plurality of adults holding regular jobs who are generally a part of the mainstream of the community, then I would be right with you in decrying racism in Canada and pushing for change. Or she and I would have returned to her country of origin because the racism here was so exhausting and debilitating.

But it is not, and she has not. Uh, yeah, this is anecdotal. But how likely would it be that she is one of the few exceptions to the rule? How is it that so much of the evidence provided for white supremacy and racism in Canada amounts to microaggressions like not looking someone in the eye? Or, say, boil water advisories in remote native communities that are being addressed to the tune of billions of dollars of wealth transfers from non-indigenous people to indigenous peoples? Ironically, this actually is "systemic racism" in the sense that, you know, people are being given facilities for producing potable water free of charge solely due to their race.
So racism doesn’t exist because you have an asian wife that represents every other individual minority member in the country?

Quote:
A sense of proportion and logic. You have neither. You do have a flair for scatological insults directed at the one tribe left that the woke have decreed you can be prejudiced against, though, so you got that going for you.
Scatological insults? Are you referring to Molson’s ex boss? Because I’d gladly take credit for either of his nicknames but I was not the creator. It’s funny you whine about the ‘SJW’s’ having no sense of humour.

And as for proportion and logic it’s rich being told that I’m overreacting and irrational by a guy who screams at clouds all day about the ‘woke’ agenda.

Last edited by O-tacular; Nov 23, 2021 at 5:15 AM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 5:43 AM
Registered Drug User

A quick note of clarification:

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
In a country of 30 plus million people that seems quite likely.
The claim was that every single visible minority person in Canada will experience hundreds if not thousands of racist aggressions like "we don't serve your kind here" in their lifetimes.

That's patently ridiculous.

Quote:
Yeah you’re totally right. She should have just laughed off the indignity.
Yes.

Quote:
So racism doesn’t exist because you have an asian wife that represents every other individual minority member in the country?
Yeah, you're either intentionally intellectually dishonest or not very good at reading.

Quote:
And as for proportion and logic it’s rich being told that I’m overreacting and irrational by a guy who screams at clouds all day about the ‘woke’ agenda.
Uh, what's rich is pretending that there's no woke agenda. Since this thread was shit right from the beginning, I won't feel guilty about derailing. Here's item #37,495 in the insidious woke agenda. A teacher's union in Burlington has decided that the votes of white members will count for less than those of non-white members.

No, I'm not making this up.

https://twitter.com/jonkay/status/1461847160253779974

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 5:48 AM
Registered Drug User

You think the rise of Trump, the alt-right and all that entails are scary and dangerous? So do I.

But if you don't think that a teacher's union deciding that the votes of their members being weighted according to the colour of their skin is just one in a whole series of terrifying canaries in a coalmine, then you're a fucking moron.

Look closely at this series of images above. That's what woke is. And that's why sane people are "railing" against it.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 5:53 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ But it's their bubble and they can do whatever they want, and although this may work in their situation, once you stray away from the one person one vote default formula, you could introduce any number of criteria into such a formula for democracy. People with blue eyes could be underrepresented and should have their vote weighted if you find a reason to do so.

But what does this have to do with Ben Affleck?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 6:17 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
^ But it's their bubble and they can do whatever they want...
Actually, that raises an interesting question. Is it legal to discriminate on the basis of race when it comes to an individual's rights in a private organization?

Try to imagine a gym holding a referendum on the construction of a new swimming pool where white members' votes count as one vote while the votes of nonwhite members count only as 0.5. Would this make the news?

Uh, we all know it would be front page news across the country. The outrage would be instant and well-deserved.

This teacher's union district in Halton Region has done precisely that, but not a single news outlet has covered it.

NOT A SINGLE ONE.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 7:36 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^That is a good question, how far can the law intrude into private systems?

It seems like the formula they are using is one in which the balance between white & non-white "control" becomes equalized, just as if the council was split 50/50 along racial lines. They are putting high importance on this particular balance, as being crucial to their decision making, although optics & symbolism may be more actuating. Because it would be more difficult to attain a real balance in actual membership, the formula makes the appropriate correction. Democratic systems are not perfect and there are a multitude of examples. In a race you may have handicaps, and that's sort of what they are doing, also reflecting what they see as the prevailing zeitgeist of society. (A better horse will carry a heavier weight, to give it a disadvantage when racing against slower horses..) There are faults even in this rationalisation, for instance a perfect 50/50 split in a democratic society can lead to more tension, stalemates, division, irrationally motivated partisanship, and stagnation; now normalized in the US where the two party system is so balanced & entrenched that it inhibits any real progress. (Sorry, my post is a bit muddy & needs editing, but i think you can get the gist)

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 8:30 AM

This thread was fun while it lasted.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 12:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Actually, that raises an interesting question. Is it legal to discriminate on the basis of race when it comes to an individual's rights in a private organization?

Try to imagine a gym holding a referendum on the construction of a new swimming pool where white members' votes count as one vote while the votes of nonwhite members count only as 0.5. Would this make the news?

Uh, we all know it would be front page news across the country. The outrage would be instant and well-deserved.

This teacher's union district in Halton Region has done precisely that, but not a single news outlet has covered it.

NOT A SINGLE ONE.
A teacher's union is actually only a semi-private organization. One must be a member in order to teach in public schools. Even if you are a "rand" (not signed up by choice or conviction) they still affect your working conditions and you may even have to pay dues.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 12:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Are you saying… I checked with my black friend and racism doesn’t exist…???
Isn't it the same as "I checked with my friend's Asian wife who got ignored in Banff once and this means that every minority person faces racial affronts most every day or at least very regularly"?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 1:22 PM

Me, waiting for this thread to be fun again...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 1:34 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
They should delete the off topic posts, incl. mine and keep a fun thread.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 2:03 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
When the usual suspects get involved, what do you expect? It's hard to imagine being so vitriolically angry all the time, but here we are I guess.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 2:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
When the usual suspects get involved, what do you expect? It's hard to imagine being so vitriolically angry all the time, but here we are I guess.
I'd advise you to go to the start of the discussion and see where it started to derail.

Also, if I am included in the usual suspects I'd like to know what I might have said that makes me "vitriolically angry".

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 2:23 PM
ハルウララ

I'm assuming the anti-SJWs are on board with Kid Rock since his new song sounds pretty similar to folks in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
They should delete the off topic posts, incl. mine and keep a fun thread.
No such thing as a 'fun' thread or 'off-topic' thread because they all turn into people complaining about visible minorities and millennials and those damn woketarians these days. They all eventually become old man yells at cloud.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 2:30 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I find it helps if you read rousseau’s posts in Squidward’s voice.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 2:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
No such thing as a 'fun' thread or 'off-topic' thread because they all turn into people complaining about visible minorities and millennials and those damn woketarians these days. They all eventually become old man yells at cloud.
Note the bias in this statement. The only people "complaining" are the mainstream people. The Woketarians on the other hand are simply righteously indignant and progressive voices for positive change, no matter how batty their cause is, and whatever means they use to achieve their ends (see the post about weighted votes above).

I guess democracy dies on the petard of social progressivity..........

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 2:36 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Note the bias in this statement. The only people "complaining" are the mainstream people.
Please grace us with your definition of 'mainstream'.

I've got bad news for you - everyone has bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I guess democracy dies on the petard of social progressivity..
Very Padme Amidala of you.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 2:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The Gad Saads have taken over this thread.
Over and out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada