HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 5:25 PM

There was supposed to be a roundabout built on Garven at PR 206, but all of the bids were over budget, so it is not getting awarded. Maybe next year.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 6:11 PM

The traffic circle at Hwy 2 & 3 works really well. 1 & 16 is considerably busier so circle would have to be scaled but should work there too. UK and Europe use them on busy intersections. Are we such different drivers?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 6:31 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I think the concern is based on the ideal scenario where E-W drivers through the intersection don't need to slow down (i.e. interchange).

A roundabout is safer than the current setup, but driver's in all directions still need to slow down.

So it's a bit of a compromise.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 7:20 PM
What could go wrong?

I've been tooling around on Google Earth over in England looking for a roundabout on a major highway and have yet to find one. They have them as overpasses on grade separated interchanges but I haven't found one yet on a 4 lane divided major hwy.

Just build a simple diamond interchange and be done...sometimes this province makes things so hard. 16 doesn't need to be free flowing.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 7:33 PM

The intersection of Alberta Highway 23 and Highway 519 doesn't look like much, but traffic through it is steady as it carries a lot of commuters and semi-trucks between Calgary and Lethbridge. They built a roundabout there a couple years ago, and it works pretty well. There were always multiple vehicles in it any time I'd driven through.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 7:40 PM
What could go wrong?

That appears to be about the same as our Hwy 2 & 3 roundabout here in Oak Bluff. It seems to work fine for the smaller but relatively busy 2 lane highways but I shake my head at it's use on Hwy 1.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
The intersection of Alberta Highway 23 and Highway 519 doesn't look like much, but traffic through it is steady as it carries a lot of commuters and semi-trucks between Calgary and Lethbridge. They built a roundabout there a couple years ago, and it works pretty well. There were always multiple vehicles in it any time I'd driven through.
Would interesting to compare the traffic volumes with 1 & 16?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 8:14 PM

For 2016, it looks like they actually have pretty similar traffic counts:

Average Annual Daily Traffic counts of 6890 on AB 23 and 6330 on MB 1

Manitoba - https://univmb.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...ca5a4f4d690392

Alberta - http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/mapping/

Granted, I am not a traffic engineer, and could easily be misinterpreting something

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Just build a simple diamond interchange and be done...sometimes this province makes things so hard. 16 doesn't need to be free flowing.
Diamond with a 270 degree SB to EB loop would be perfect... it would be enough for the next 75 years. And it wouldn't break the bank.

It's funny how things like that which would be probably be routine projects for other provinces, like putting in a new culvert or something, are an impossible dream in Manitoba. We've been hearing about an interchange at 1/16 for probably about 20 years, and now they're basically giving up.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Diamond with a 270 degree SB to EB loop would be perfect... it would be enough for the next 75 years. And it wouldn't break the bank.

It's funny how things like that which would be probably be routine projects for other provinces, like putting in a new culvert or something, are an impossible dream in Manitoba. We've been hearing about an interchange at 1/16 for probably about 20 years, and now they're basically giving up.
Completely agree. Seems like this is a solution to kick that can another 20 years down the road instead of dealing with it properly. Justifying this roundabout because pth 2 and 3 works well is a stretch, as the highways are just not comparable.

I feel somewhat dissapointed that 1/16 didn't just remain a set of lights for another few years until the money was available since it is a major intersection, as dangerous as it is.

Part of me is worried that it might lead to more collisions. Not because the classic 'winnipegers cant navigate roundabouts' complaint on CBC articles, but how this is probably the only 4 lane divided highway in the country (continent?) with a roundabout and having semi trailer drivers that drive in various states of awareness and sleep deprivation meeting this roundabout could be problematic.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 2:33 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Trucks are my concern about this roundabout too. U.S. does have 4-lane highway meet other roads at roundabout too, though.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 2:38 AM
Back from the dead

So what happened to the interchange that was supposed to be built and is completely appropriate for that intersection?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Trucks are my concern about this roundabout too. U.S. does have 4-lane highway meet other roads at roundabout too, though.
The amount of truck traffic is key. Also, if a lot of cross country shipping passes through this point it should be an interchange so massive vehicles don't have to slow down to a crawl. Ideally they should be able to keep moving at 110 or whatever the speed limit is in that area.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 4:07 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

A roundabout ... at that intersection ? You gotta be kidding me ! They just don’t want to spend the money I guess.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 4:08 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
So what happened to the interchange that was supposed to be built and is completely appropriate for that intersection?
Yeah, didn’t they have an interchange design ready to go about 6 years ago ?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 4:09 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

They did. The feds are chipping in too, so I'm so confused...

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
A roundabout ... at that intersection ? You gotta be kidding me ! They just don’t want to spend the money I guess.
Three fatalities and 22 accidents in the last five years at that junction. A roundabout should up those numbers dramatically.

According to a news article I read there's going to be two public consultations to allow Manitobans to give feedback. Hopefully enough of them raise a big enough stink to make the government realize that doing a proper fix now will be much better and cheaper than waiting to it later. If no land acquisition is required they could probably put in a very functional and future proof (>50 years) interchange for about $50 million.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 4:58 AM

Quote:
They did. The feds are chipping in too, so I'm so confused...
Do you remember what they were planning to build?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 5:13 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Interchange cost estimates in MB seem grossly inflated? The province thought those two interchanges would cost $125 million? No way in hell should it cost anywhere near that especially in the middle of nowhere.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan