HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Yes, we will. The west bypass has a higher priority by the province than almost any other highway project after finishing Highway 11. It's all for the global transportation hub.
Agreed the larger interchanges at WRB Hwy 11 and the ones at Dewdney and at the new HUB road will be complete within 5-6 years. 4-lane highway from N/S Hwy 11 to Hwy 1. Will be a glorious thing. Especially when I need to go through Regina currently to get to Grand Coulee. Will save me at least 15 minutes!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 6:27 AM

Not much of a posting here; however, yesterday, I drove from Vanscoy to Regina via the new South Bridge route. WOW!!! That whole thing is pretty damn impressive!!! (Now, if the rest of Circle Drive can catch up with that!!!)

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Not much of a posting here; however, yesterday, I drove from Vanscoy to Regina via the new South Bridge route. WOW!!! That whole thing is pretty damn impressive!!! (Now, if the rest of Circle Drive can catch up with that!!!)
Haha agreed, I have abandoned driving North Circle Drive to work from College Park and get to work 5 minutes faster (15 minutes faster on the way home) PLUS I have seen a 20% increase in fuel economy without all the start stop.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 5:27 PM

http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/majorprojects/

Some interesting new updates on the Ministry of Highways "Major Projects" page. Of note is the Aug 15 open house on the SE Regina Bypass and the selection of alternative routes process. Not surprised that RM of Sherwood is not on the same page as everyone else (but if they are protecting the rights and best interests of their constituents (there is a first for everything) Sherwood probably made the best choices - but all for nothing because the city and Ministry of Highways are on the same page and that is the final recommendation that will be going to the Minister. The overpasses where two roads will be intersecting above and very close to the rail tracks that go past brandt will make for one of the highest overpasses/interchanges in Sask.

What I found interesting was the weighting given to each of the selection criteria for the alternate routes:
Transcanada functionality 25 / Safety and Traffic Operations 25 / Cost 5 (plus others such as access, property impacts, noise, phasing, economic devlopment potential etc.)
To me the functionality of the TC and safety and traffic operations seem to have a large amount of overlap - if the TC is functional it will improve safety and traffic operations so really the functionality of the TC highway has a weight of 50 vs. a cost weighting of 5. I don't disagree but the message seems to be build it right and it costs what it costs.

Also new (to me anyway) is the proposed route for the service road network that will serve between tower road and balgonie when the stretch of No.1 from Regina to Balgonie gets full grade seperation interchanges and restricted access - looking forward to that and the lives that will be saved. (the interchanges will save lives, not necessarily the service road).

All in all, it seems a lot of money will be spent on the stretch of No.1 from Balgonie to Pinkie Road considering bypasses, interchanges and service roads - and it needs it.

On a side note, I took a drive out to balgonie on 1 east for the first time since spring and the pace of development out there is amazing. A large new building south of No.1 just this side of buffalo lookout (Redhead equip I believe) and a brand new hotel that sprang out of nowhere close to where the auction mart is at white city. Also, the line up of traffic waiting to cross No.1 at white city was spooky - waaaay too many impatient people and this was around 6pm - I shudder to think what it is like at 7:30am.

Last edited by Treesplease; Aug 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 6:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Dear Manitoba Ministry of Transport.

Build an interchange at Hwy 3 and Hwy 100. Too many horrific crashes, too many deaths, and too many close calls (including my own recent one involving a solid-red-running semi truck). Thanks.
Dear Mininari,

You will be pleased to learn that plans are in the works for that very intersection, studies will take place in 2021, followed by design in 2024, tendering in 2027 with construction to commence in 2031.

Yours Truly,

Todays NDP

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Dear Mininari,

You will be pleased to learn that plans are in the works for that very intersection, studies will take place in 2021, followed by design in 2024, tendering in 2027 with construction to commence in 2031.

Yours Truly,

Todays NDP
How many interchanges did Filmon build?

In terms of major highway improvements, the PCs focused on twinning 1 and 75, and the NDP has focused on northern highways and (inexplicably) Centreport Canada Way. Neither party has prioritized interchanges at dangerous intersections.

For Manitoba to have such primitive infrastructure on major highways required the dedicated efforts of both major parties.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 7:08 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

In terms of major highway improvements, the PCs focused on twinning 1 and 75, and the NDP has focused on northern highways and (inexplicably) Centreport Canada Way. Neither party has prioritized interchanges at dangerous intersections.

For Manitoba to have such primitive infrastructure on major highways required the dedicated efforts of both major parties.
Twinning would seem to me to be a much bigger priority than interchanges, both economically and in terms of safety. How many miles (sorry, kilometres) of twinned highway do you get for the cost of a Hwy 1-16 or Hwy 1-12 interchange?

In southern Manitoba, if you look at the TCH, where would you really ever need an interchange that doesn't already have one?

100-St. Anne's
100-St. Mary's
100-Kenaston Extension
100-2/3
1-16
1-110
1-10

Other than that, where else in the province? 75-14 maybe? 75 at Morris eventually? 101-15 and 101-6 eventually as well. Maybe 110-10 or 1-83 if Brandon grows and/or fracking really takes off in the SW, but I don't know how the truck traffic moves in relation to that.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, but anything much beyond this would really be scraping the bottom of the necessity barrel.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Twinning would seem to me to be a much bigger priority than interchanges, both economically and in terms of safety. How many miles (sorry, kilometres) of twinned highway do you get for the cost of a Hwy 1-16 or Hwy 1-12 interchange?

In southern Manitoba, if you look at the TCH, where would you really ever need an interchange that doesn't already have one?

100-St. Anne's
100-St. Mary's
100-Kenaston Extension
100-2/3
1-16
1-110
1-10

Other than that, where else in the province? 75-14 maybe? 75 at Morris eventually? 101-15 and 101-6 eventually as well. Maybe 110-10 or 1-83 if Brandon grows and/or fracking really takes off in the SW, but I don't know how the truck traffic moves in relation to that.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, but anything much beyond this would really be scraping the bottom of the necessity barrel.
Manitoba is actually in pretty good shape as far as twinning goes, if you look at this traffic flow map:

http://umtig.eng.umanitoba.ca/mhtis/flowmap2012.pdf

As I understand it, it's around average daily traffic volumes 6,500 where twinning is regarded as necessary. By that standard, there are only a few relatively short stretches of road here and there throughout southern Manitoba where twinning is needed, including:
  • Highways 59 and 52 in the Kleefeld area
  • Highway 32 south of Winkler
  • Highway 15 to Dugald
  • Highway 7 to Teulon

That's about 75 km of highways that really should be twinned.

Then you have the ones that aren't normally that busy, but can get quite clogged at times, mainly in the summer. Twinning might be a good idea but is by no means an absolute necessity:
  • Highway 10 from Brandon to Minnedosa
  • Highway 59 from Brokenhead to Highway 11
  • Highway 8 to Gimli
  • Highway 3 to Winkler

Those last two highways could probably get by with just a few passing lanes here and there as opposed to full-length twinning. That's about another 80 km of twinning.

So with about 155 km of twinning, Manitoba's roads would be in good shape from that standpoint.

Contrast that with the number of highly deficient crash-prone intersections on major highways. By my count, these ones are brutally inadequate for the traffic volumes and speeds they handle:
  • Highways 100 and 2/3
  • Highways 100 and 330
  • Highway 100 and Waverley (to be replaced by Kenaston)
  • Highway 100 and St. Mary's Road
  • Highway 100 and St. Anne's Road
  • Highways 101 and 15
  • Highways 101 and 59
  • Highways 1 and 207
  • Highways 59 and 202
  • Highways 59 and 213
  • Highways 1 and 10 (x2)
  • Highways 1 and 16
  • Highways 1 and 13
  • Highways 1 and 248

Those are the ones that involve very busy intersections and badly-designed traffic lights on high speed routes. In other words, the dangerous intersections as opposed to merely inconvenient ones.

The fact that zero progress is being made on either of those lists (well, I suppose there are plans to twin 59 so at least that's going to move ahead) tells me that the situation is going to get worse before it gets better.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 10:24 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Wow, what an informative post. You must do this for a living.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 12:28 AM

Great post, Treesplease. This info reaffirms my impression that prospective GTH tenants are basically demanding an Interstate-grade freeway for the length of metro Regina, from Balgonie to Grand Coulee.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/majorprojects/

Some interesting new updates on the Ministry of Highways "Major Projects" page. Of note is the Aug 15 open house on the SE Regina Bypass and the selection of alternative routes process. Not surprised that RM of Sherwood is not on the same page as everyone else (but if they are protecting the rights and best interests of their constituents (there is a first for everything) Sherwood probably made the best choices - but all for nothing because the city and Ministry of Highways are on the same page and that is the final recommendation that will be going to the Minister. The overpasses where two roads will be intersecting above and very close to the rail tracks that go past brandt will make for one of the highest overpasses/interchanges in Sask.

What I found interesting was the weighting given to each of the selection criteria for the alternate routes:
Transcanada functionality 25 / Safety and Traffic Operations 25 / Cost 5 (plus others such as access, property impacts, noise, phasing, economic devlopment potential etc.)
To me the functionality of the TC and safety and traffic operations seem to have a large amount of overlap - if the TC is functional it will improve safety and traffic operations so really the functionality of the TC highway has a weight of 50 vs. a cost weighting of 5. I don't disagree but the message seems to be build it right and it costs what it costs.

Also new (to me anyway) is the proposed route for the service road network that will serve between tower road and balgonie when the stretch of No.1 from Regina to Balgonie gets full grade seperation interchanges and restricted access - looking forward to that and the lives that will be saved. (the interchanges will save lives, not necessarily the service road).

All in all, it seems a lot of money will be spent on the stretch of No.1 from Balgonie to Pinkie Road considering bypasses, interchanges and service roads - and it needs it.

On a side note, I took a drive out to balgonie on 1 east for the first time since spring and the pace of development out there is amazing. A large new building south of No.1 just this side of buffalo lookout (Redhead equip I believe) and a brand new hotel that sprang out of nowhere close to where the auction mart is at white city. Also, the line up of traffic waiting to cross No.1 at white city was spooky - waaaay too many impatient people and this was around 6pm - I shudder to think what it is like at 7:30am.
Since I'm around these parts only once/month, the changes around here, to me, are pretty amazing! I totally agree with you with reference to Hwy 1/Hwy 48 --- I drove through there last week at 3:30 p.m. (It was scary.) There's a massive accident just waiting to happen there.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 5:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Fair enough, but with the condition of the northbound lanes on 75 I wouldn't be too quick to credit anyone for that. Your right about prioritizing intersections for renewal, the junction of the TCH and Yellowhead must be near the top of the list, truly hard to believe that an interchange wasn't put in place there 30 years ago.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Dear Mininari,

Yours Truly,

Todays NDP
LOL!
Heh, I've been offline for awhile. Good one.

Great summary analysis Esquire!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Fair enough, but with the condition of the northbound lanes on 75 I wouldn't be too quick to credit anyone for that. Your right about prioritizing intersections for renewal, the junction of the TCH and Yellowhead must be near the top of the list, truly hard to believe that an interchange wasn't put in place there 30 years ago.
I remember a few years back the Province had selected a preferred interchange design for that intersection. It was similar to the Birds Hill Park interchange on 59. Wonder what ever happened to that project...

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I remember a few years back the Province had selected a preferred interchange design for that intersection. It was similar to the Birds Hill Park interchange on 59. Wonder what ever happened to that project...
http://www.1and16interchange.ca/

I think we've all seen this page at one time or another. Completion slated for 2014 lol It also says open house #2 slated for October 7. Not sure if that is current or just really old. Haven't been to that page in a long time. From what I've heard the flooding is to blame for the delay. Seems like a typical excuse for anything that doesn't get built.

Recommended interchange design

Source: http://www.1and16interchange.ca/project-details.htm

Typical trumpet design, exact same as Birds Hill. With the diamond interchange 2 miles away for PR 305.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 3:40 PM

^ I think it was Biff who pointed out that the 1 and 16 interchange project fell victim to the flooding of a couple years ago... in a nutshell, the money for that project ended up going toward the Lake Manitoba outlet project and other urgent flood-related projects.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 3:59 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
^ I think it was Biff who pointed out that the 1 and 16 interchange project fell victim to the flooding of a couple years ago... in a nutshell, the money for that project ended up going toward the Lake Manitoba outlet project and other urgent flood-related projects.
Yes, that is true. The budget ballooned and then the flood hit. This one is pushed off indefinitely. The one that is struggling now is the 59 north and the Perimeter. Huge budget and expanding scope. I kind of wish they would just build the interchange and deal with all the other add-on's after.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 4:07 PM

Yeah, exactly.

So with the PTH 101/PTH59N interchange, do we know exactly what the expanding scope is?

I know the AT bridge over the perimeter is one of them. $10M-$16M depending on which option they go with. Is the diamond interchange at PR 202 that was to be future now going to be built? Or is there other stuff, such as a diamond at Headmaster, in the mix? Even though Headmaster is within City limits, that intersection only going to get busier with the residential and retail developments just south of the Perimeter.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
http://www.1and16interchange.ca/

I think we've all seen this page at one time or another. Completion slated for 2014 lol It also says open house #2 slated for October 7. Not sure if that is current or just really old. Haven't been to that page in a long time. From what I've heard the flooding is to blame for the delay. Seems like a typical excuse for anything that doesn't get built.

Recommended interchange design

Typical trumpet design, exact same as Birds Hill. With the diamond interchange 2 miles away for PR 305.
What I find odd about this interchange is that MIT plans to reroute 305 to the east in order to build a diamond interchange 2 miles east of 1 and 16. I don't get how building two separate interchanges, including one for a minor Provincial Road, makes more sense than building just one cloverleaf. The only reason I can make sense of is perhaps the diamond is intended to divert trucks headed to the Simplot plant nearby?

In a province where interchanges are rarely built anymore it strikes me as odd that 1/305 would take priority over so many other intersections in need of grade separations.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 4:19 PM

Quote:
What I find odd about this interchange is that MIT plans to reroute 305 to the east in order to build a diamond interchange 2 miles east of 1 and 16. I don't get how building two separate interchanges, including one for a minor Provincial Road, makes more sense than building just one cloverleaf. The only reason I can make sense of is perhaps the diamond is intended to divert trucks headed to the Simplot plant nearby?

In a province where interchanges are rarely built anymore it strikes me as odd that 1/305 would take priority over so many other intersections in need of grade separations.
I think it had to do with a proposed industrial park to the southeast, located at the very bottom righthand corner of the drawing. And if I remember correctly the main interchange at 1 and 16 was to be built first, with the diamond to come later.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan