HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 7:13 PM

The city stated that all parks and recreation facilities would be left intact so the poster on the Free Press forum is off base and either uniformed or trying to scare people. The Province wants this to happen just as much as the City, so there's always the possibility of simply annexing the area. As far as I'm concerned all area inside the Perimeter Hwy. should be part of Winnipeg regardless.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 2:06 PM
WPG - OTT - MTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_Haber8 View Post
I would like to seem them use this is as an opportunity to consolidate many of the city's rail yards near the airport, especially ones that blight and act as barriers in the city. I'm thinking of the CPR Weston and Winnipeg yards. I am aware of how big an undertaking this would be and how the yards were there first and the city built itself around them. But there would be so many benefits in the long-run to the city and the rail companies by doing this.
Agreed! I recall that they were considering redeveloping the Arlington Train Yards a little while ago but they claimed that it would cost too much money. However, if somebody were to mention the terms "urban reserve" or "affordable housing" to the Feds then it might be a little bit harder for them to refuse...

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 6:00 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

An urban reserve could work, given the demographics around the area...

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 2:12 AM

when are you people going to give up on this CP yard relocation nonsense. I will eat my hat if it happens in the next 50 years.

you'd have the cost of relocating a HUGE facility (marshalling yards, diesel and car shops, intermodal facility, and car offloading)
then you'd have the enviromental clean up afterwards (think of the fuel and chemical seepage involved in running a diesel shop for the last 50 some-odd years)
and on top of that you would have to still accommodate the CP mainline (unless you want to spend another umpteen million relocating that)

and for what end result? acres and acres of land in the least desireable part of the city? give me a break.

nobody is saying this city couldnt use a big project, or some visionary thinking, but this is NOT IT.

/rant

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 5:42 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanExPat View Post
when are you people going to give up on this CP yard relocation nonsense. I will eat my hat if it happens in the next 50 years.

you'd have the cost of relocating a HUGE facility (marshalling yards, diesel and car shops, intermodal facility, and car offloading)
then you'd have the enviromental clean up afterwards (think of the fuel and chemical seepage involved in running a diesel shop for the last 50 some-odd years)
and on top of that you would have to still accommodate the CP mainline (unless you want to spend another umpteen million relocating that)

and for what end result? acres and acres of land in the least desireable part of the city? give me a break.

nobody is saying this city couldnt use a big project, or some visionary thinking, but this is NOT IT.

/rant
A little butthurt there, eh?

It shouldn't hurt to dream and imagine. I mean, it WOULD be nice for the railyard to relocate. However, we already know the reality of it.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 2:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanExPat View Post

/rant

Look at it this way. The project still makes way more sense than building a Human Rights Museum at the Forks....

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Look at it this way. The project still makes way more sense than building a Human Rights Museum at the Forks....
Or paying one dime to support bringing the NHL back to Winnipeg...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 3:16 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
No it doesn't. Spend billions to free up land that nobody wants freed-up in the first place ? The CMHR was substantially funded by the private sector and donations and will serve as an instant monument in its own right whether it turns a profit or not. It WILL attract tourists even if nowhere near the numbers the boosters project and it will serve as a valuable social-education center.
The billions of dollars it would cost to relocate rail yards in no need of being moved could never be recouped. For one thing , the government (and that's who would be doing this) would stipulate that most of the land would have to be low/medium density "affordable" housing. That's the first problem and you know it's what the feds would do. The second issue is that any sort of "upscale" development is out of the question. Nobody is going to buy it. You'd have to raze and rebuild the entire North End first. Thirdly , given the nature of the site , no private developer is going to invest a dime in the land without very , very heavy subsidies. Such heavy subsidization in fact that the Feds would just skip the middleman to begin with. So the Feds would take charge and "bless us" with yet another of their social experiments doomed to failure from the start. It wouldnt' exactly be the first time the Feds have done infinitely more harm than good with their good intentions. In fact , it's wise to prepare for the worst when the Feds get another one of their well-intentioned social ideas.

And we'd do all this for....because....uh....yeah , why would we do this again ? Oh , right...because it might be kinda convenient for somebody. Not really sure who it would be convenient for exactly but somebody somewhere is bound to appreciate the minutes they'll save.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 1:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
The CMHR was substantially funded by the private sector and donations and will serve as an instant monument in its own right whether it turns a profit or not.
If you deifine substatial as 30% not including cost overruns. Worst case scenario, and this is definitely possible, the Museum runs almost 200 million over budget, the figure suddenly dwarfs to under 20%.

Quote:
It WILL attract tourists even if nowhere near the numbers the boosters project and it will serve as a valuable social-education center.
We will also likely have protests from groups that are not part of the CMHR, but feel they should be. It hasn't even been built yet, and the Gay & Lesbian community is up in arms over the appointment of Murray. It's going to get worse as time progresses.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 2:44 AM

Quote:
If you deifine substatial as 30% not including cost overruns. Worst case scenario, and this is definitely possible, the Museum runs almost 200 million over budget, the figure suddenly dwarfs to under 20%.

We will also likely have protests from groups that are not part of the CMHR, but feel they should be. It hasn't even been built yet, and the Gay & Lesbian community is up in arms over the appointment of Murray. It's going to get worse as time progresses.
Get over it already! It willl be and is been built! Maybe you should call CJOB and complain like all the people born before 1940...

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Please show your math... Ummm, no guesses eh.

In any event private investment totaling $100million + is "substatial" in most people's books.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 4:05 AM
Capitalist

Why the hell is the Centreport Canada thread being used to discuss the Human Rights Museum??

The new international inland port will be a massive economic driver for Manitoba... and will see massive levels of investment in and around Winnipeg for decades to come. We are talking about some 20,000 acres of land designated to be used for this multi-model transportation hub. Thats 2/3 the size of the city of Regina.

Last edited by newflyer; Oct 6, 2009 at 4:23 AM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 5:02 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

We'll be like the container port of Long Beach, California, except around a sea of grassfields, and extreme climates, and relatively smaller. >_>;

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 2:41 AM
YaY~InForMatTion TimE

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
We are talking about some 20,000 acres of land designated to be used for this multi-model transportation hub. Thats 2/3 the size of the city of Regina.
shit

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 1:50 AM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
CentrePort gets $3.5-M boost

By: Geoff Kirbyson

WINNIPEG — The federal and Manitoba governments have given CentrePort Canada a $3.5 million boost.

The money will assist the corporation, which is gearing up to run an inland port, concentrating export-oriented manufacturing, warehousing and multi-modal distribution activities around the airport, with its start-up and operating costs.

Premier Gary Doer and Stockwell Day, minister of international trade and the Asia-Pacific Gateway, made the joint announcement Thursday evening at the Richardson International Airport.

They also announced a pair of pilot projects. The first, called the Canada-Manitoba CentrePort International Business Development Project will enable CentrePort to become Canada’s first foreign trade zone, a move designed to make it an attractive location for international trade and investment.

The second, called the Pan-Am Western Outreach Program, will raise awareness in business circles about Canadas’s programs and policies supporting international trade.

"We’ve got it all, we’ve just got to make it happen," Doer said, hours after finishing his last question period as premier. "To become the best inland port in Canada."

geoff.kirbyson@freepress.mb.ca
Article link

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 5:43 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

CentrePort moving quickly
CJOB News Team reporting
10/9/2009

Winnipeg's CentrePort venture is moving forward..quickly.

Yesterday we learned it will become Canada's first foreign trade zone.

Today we learn from Board Chairman Kerry Hawkins there's plenty of interest in Winnipeg from abroad...

CentrePort will give international companies an option of shipping good to Manitoba, where they can be stored without additional duty costs, before being shipped to consumers in the United States.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 6:03 PM
What could go wrong?

That is awesome news...however i would love to read about some agreements from some of these interested companies intending on setting up operations in CentrePort even more.

......i know, i know - patience

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 7:13 PM

The foreign trade zone may be the best thing to happen to Winnipeg in a very, very long time. A 20,000 acre foreign trade zone is nothing to scoff at. I'm usually hesitant to jump on any bandwagon before the wheels are securely fastened, but CentrePort Canada seems to be moving along at a clip greater than even the most rose-coloured ocular sporting Winnipeggers had likely hoped.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 12:10 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
The foreign trade zone may be the best thing to happen to Winnipeg in a very, very long time. A 20,000 acre foreign trade zone is nothing to scoff at. I'm usually hesitant to jump on any bandwagon before the wheels are securely fastened, but CentrePort Canada seems to be moving along at a clip greater than even the most rose-coloured ocular sporting Winnipeggers had likely hoped.
This means that CentrePort Canada means serious business.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 12:41 AM
Capitalist

Of course this will lead to many international transportation and distribution firms setting up shop within Centre Port, but should also lead to many value added manufacturing opporations soon after. This is going to be huge ... 20,000 acres huge.

Of course having some of the largest international transportation firms setting in Winnipeg will result in many asian and european firms that most people around these parts have never heard of making things very interesting in Winnipeg.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan