HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 5:48 PM
Always running Late

this is good news for idaho...
one thing about eastern idaho.. is for the amount of population, there sure are a lot of high paying jobs there... with the INL and other industries..
Idaho Falls is going to explode with growth in the next decade.. I can feel it...
it will be idaho's spokane.....

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 12:35 AM
Honored Member

Post Expansion of Destinations and Restaurant

FROM KPVI: http://www.kpvi.com/Global/story.asp?S=6628443

Rod Bishop is removing the Rio Theatre's sign. While the story says Bishop will reveal next month his plans for the former movie theater, I was told a few months ago that The Destinations Inn is doing so well, Bishop is expanding the number of rooms this very upscale get away hotel has..

Also, as was his original plan, to place an upscale restaurant next door, information about the restaurant should also be part of the announcement.

You can check out the Destinations Inn at: http://www.destinationsinn.com

If Rod Bishop made a statement today, you can bet he will follow up next month as planned. He completes projects on time, or doesn't announce them until he can.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 4:02 AM

Idaho Falls is on it's way for sure.

It's really undebatable.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 11:04 PM

New restaurant at Taylor Crossing

On another website, Mr. Lorin Walker stopped by to tell us all that they were in the process of securing a contract for a new restaurant at Taylor Crossing. And that it would be the biggest announcement for Idaho Falls as far as restaurants go in nearly a decade. Which is strange to me because of all the fuss around Olive Garden.

From what we know, there are supposed to be a steak/burger and a fish house to go in, so now, shall we try to take a guess?

I'll go first: Hard Rock Cafe! HAHA, just kidding, I actually have no guess so I will leave it up to others.

I.F. City: 56,813
I.F. Metro: 132,073
I.F. Bingham CSA: 178,025

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 2:34 AM

I was in McNeil office the other day.

According to a map on the wall, Eagle Plaza is the last office building to be built. The rest of the area in Taylor's Crossing is supposedly supposed to be Marriott Residence Inn, and Condo's (Where the warehouses stand now).

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 5:23 AM
Honored Member

Question What's the Blast Off Date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFtowner View Post
I was in McNeil office the other day.

According to a map on the wall, Eagle Plaza is the last office building to be built. The rest of the area in Taylor's Crossing is supposedly supposed to be Marriott Residence Inn, and Condo's (Where the warehouses stand now).

Nice report, IFTowner. Did they give you a starting day for construction? When should we be prepared for blast off of that old awful building?

And, did someone let you in on the big news of the awesome restaurant coming to I.F. while you were over at McNeil? I suspect we'll hear on Monday in Shop Talk.

You know, IF Guy, I hadn't even thought about a Hard Rock. It is an interesting thought. I haven't been to one in a while. I kind of can't see the fit for T.C. - Renaissance yes, SRL- especially by a convention center - yes, but not T.C.

It is kind of amusing to think of those 10 restaurant pads you and I counted. One has already been started into a different project, so that leaves 9. Elsewhere, someone else suggested a Macaroni Grill. That honestly would be a good fit for downtown, although not what I would consider a huge restaurant announcement, the way Lorin Walker made it sound.

I guess we'll all be smarter next week and know what new food is headed our way.

Have any of you almost seen a pattern here? The City of I.F., or Grow Idaho Falls etc. announce a new business or major increase in jobs, then one of the Walkers tells us about one project they are building. I swear this has happened in this sequence before. Can you remember or what do you recall prior to other McNeil announcements?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 5:53 AM
Always running Late

I don't think a hardrock cafe would go to IF...they don't even have one in boise...
maybe its a hooters...
or.. pf changs maybe..
I could see a pf changs in IF... especially T.C. they seem to go into developements like that...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 6:36 AM
Honored Member

Lightbulb If it is P.F. Chang's, that would be AWESOME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
I don't think a hardrock cafe would go to IF...they don't even have one in boise...
maybe its a hooters...
or.. pf changs maybe..
I could see a pf changs in IF... especially T.C. they seem to go into developements like that...
Actually, Boiseguy, at a local IF website several of us have been lobbying for a P.F.Chang's for about 8 months. That would indeed be a big deal, also a good fit for T.C. and would make of us HAPPIER with the yummy food. I wonder what their buy in is?

People laugh about how Idaho Falls the city BEGINNING Olive Garden to open and went courting Olive Garden. But, what I think many fail to realize is the a extremely strict guidelines for certain franchises. Having run X # of restaurants and woth Y# of dollars for over five years IS a big deal.

I hope you are right, Boiseguy. Is there a PF Changs in Boise? I do know they are starting to locate in areas some never thought they would. But, the trade area for Idaho Falls includes Jackson Hole and the Billionaires.

With resorts between Idaho Falls and Jackson that have names like Rockefeller and eventually Huntsman plus a few others, there is a need for nicer restaurants people are use from their homes.

Harrison Ford always behaves himself when he is in town. He likes to get involved with search and rescue missions - flying his chopper.

Stay tuned, we'll know more in a few days.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 6:51 AM
Honored Member

Smile What do these words mean?

These are Lorin Walker's exact words:

"Stand by for news. We’re only a couple days from signing the most exciting restaurant to hit Idaho Falls in decades. You’ll love it."

That comment was posted on June 7, 2007 on an Idaho Falls website.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 12:46 AM

Cheesecake Factory

So what if Salt Lake doesn't have one, it doesn't mean Idaho Falls can't have one.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 3:57 PM
Honored Member

Thumbs up Great Idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFtowner View Post
Cheesecake Factory

So what if Salt Lake doesn't have one, it doesn't mean Idaho Falls can't have one.

I like your idea, IFtowner.

When I initially read why the Cheescake Factory wouldn't locate in SLC, I thought how flawed their methods of research were. Assessing education levels in a certain radius of a redeveloped district won't work.

Sure Gateway looks great now after how many years? But, let us NOT forget how many homeless people lived in Pioneer Park, one local major drug exchange location. And, let us not forget the lack of education the majority of immigrants or people with lower socioeconomic stats who live west and northwest of Gateway possess. After all, there is a reason Gateway was deemed "Redevelopment."

To Salt Lake City's credit, Gateway looks like this upscale shopping center has been established for 15-20 yrs., with more urban lofts and urban living by many on the east and southeast side of the development.

I-15 is a difficult neighbor to have, in some ways. I honestly think The Cheesecake Factory will probably put their first UT store in Utah County, but when reviewing receipts and demographics, question why they were so wrong about the demographics of Gateway. Salt Lake County, I am confident, will get a Cheesecake Factory.

What also personally bothered me about the reported education level vs. location, is I've eaten in Cheesecake Factories before and I will be extremely shocked to know certain locations in metro Miami and elsewhere in FL have a more educated population than Salt Lake City.

I'm not positive the Cheesecake Factory understands out-of- county or long distance commuters, of how different life is in the Intermountain West compared to the densely populated east. There are ample people, in Draper, West and South Jordan, Cottonwood, the Aves and East Bench, besides other locations, who go back downtown SLC for everything from NBA games, to the symphony, to Art Museums, Concerts, shopping and to EAT at an upscale restaurant. Look at Ruth Chris's Steakhouse. etc. Yet, those resident mostly don't live within a 2 mile radius.

So, IFtowner, you may have hit the nail on the head. The Cheesecake Factory does like a concentrated area of educated people. They may see Idaho Falls, with INL, very similar to Boise and Micron.

Probably, given the master plan at SRL and other projects on the books, we'll see both restaurants in Idaho Falls in the future. Especially when they start to realize Jackson Hole and Pocatello residents drive to Idaho Falls for dinner.

And, because education level is a factor for the Cheesecake Factory, BYU-I would have to be calculated into the equation too. But, that's funny, as most BYU-I students and faculty (probably the same for ISU too) would do far better with a Macaroni Grill or a Mimi's. A general restaurant that isn't priced high for the name.

I personally hope for a PF Chang's over a Cheesecake Factory, because I like the food better and I don't believe it's so overpriced. But, I'll be glad to see a Cheesecake Factory as well. If nothing else, for those of us not smitten with their food, it will at least be another national chain that will help draw addotional, more diverse national chain restaurants to Idaho Falls .

Good idea, IFtowner!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 6:18 AM
Always running Late

I really want to know what this restaurant is going to be

Boise has a P.F Changs AND a cheesecake factory...
I think the reason for cheesecake factory locating to boise.. and not to slc.. shows how the two cities differ.. and the types of businesses they attract...
I think that Idaho falls , like you said.. being the retail and entertainment centre for the region.. will be a big part of why a restaurant chooses to Locate there...

I just mention P.F. Changs.. because.. just by looking at T.C.. its screams P.F. changs...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 6:32 AM
Honored Member

Question Yes, To a New Motel/ and Restaurant

Per Shop Talk, in the 6/11/07 Post Register, the building so many of us have been asking about, N. on Lindsay Blvd. off of Highway 20. But, the owner, David Bigelow, wouldn't confirm much more than 60 rooms.

So we were all right, but this one slipped in under the radar with an owner that doesn't want to discuss it. Hmmm.

Elsewhere, while this isn't the announcement we're anticipating about the "exciting restaurant," Joey's Seafood is going to open in Idaho Falls as well. Likely, it is the seafood restaurant Taylor's Crossing vaguely mentioned about a month ago.

Readers in Boise, since Joey's recently opened there, what is it like?

Hopefully, we'll get more information about the other restaurants who are already inked or completing the signing of their deals this week.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 6:40 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
I really want to know what this restaurant is going to be

Boise has a P.F Changs AND a cheesecake factory...
I think the reason for cheesecake factory locating to boise.. and not to slc.. shows how the two cities differ.. and the types of businesses they attract...
I think that Idaho falls , like you said.. being the retail and entertainment centre for the region.. will be a big part of why a restaurant chooses to Locate there...

I just mention P.F. Changs.. because.. just by looking at T.C.. its screams P.F. changs...
Boiseguy,

I respect your opinion. I'm just suggesting that what ever real estate team or others, working in advance to find the right location for a Cheesecake Factory, blew it in UT. While I don't know for sure, I'm willing to bet they didn't look too far in Salt Lake County. A restaurant at 106th south, such in the South Jordan Business Park area, would meet all criteria and be a hit.

Nonetheless, I appreciate your viewpoint of how you see the cities as different as all the cities are different. I actually floated your idea of P.F. Changs today past others and 100% agreed with you. P.F. Changs would be an excellent fit in T.C.

Wow - what does that leave for SRL, when it really gets started?

In looking at the one drawing that is currently available for SRL, seeing the Recreation Center, the Convention/Performing Theater, the buildings for mixed use and the one 3 story hotel and one 4 story hotel (plus the PARKING TERRACE - for whoever asked that long ago), it took me a while to click in my head that the graphic said this was Phase I.

Lots to talk about for quite a while. I'm not sure SRL is going to strive to have a new tallest there. But, who knows by the time all 4 phases are built.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 6:45 AM
Always running Late

I've never eaten at joey's or heard of it..

somebody told me that per capita.. boise has more restaurants than any other place in the US.. other than Las Vegas...

honestly.. there's so many damn places opening here.. that they don't announce them... so you almost have to just venture out and check places out every few months... to see whats new...
I'll have to look for it..
their website says its out on fairview.. which is out in mall land... hmmm

but having two locations in idaho.. when there isn't one in oregon or utah.. and just one in washington.. is pretty cool..

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 6:53 AM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2I.F. View Post
Boiseguy,

I respect your opinion. I'm just suggesting that what ever real estate team or others, working in advance to find the right location for a Cheesecake Factory, blew it in UT. While I don't know for sure, I'm willing to bet they didn't look too far in Salt Lake County. A restaurant at 106th south, such in the South Jordan Business Park area, would meet all criteria and be a hit.

Nonetheless, I appreciate your viewpoint of how you see the cities as different as all the cities are different. I actually floated your idea of P.F. Changs today past others and 100% agreed with you. P.F. Changs would be an excellent fit in T.C.

Wow - what does that leave for SRL, when it really gets started?

In looking at the one drawing that is currently available for SRL, seeing the Recreation Center, the Convention/Performing Theater, the buildings for mixed use and the one 3 story hotel and one 4 story hotel (plus the PARKING TERRACE - for whoever asked that long ago), it took me a while to click in my head that the graphic said this was Phase I.

Lots to talk about for quite a while. I'm not sure SRL is going to strive to have a new tallest there. But, who knows by the time all 4 phases are built.
well.. I wasn't referring to salt lake city.. and their demographics.. I was referring more to their alcohol laws.. anyone who knows anything about the restaurant industry... knows that the main money maker for u is alcohol... the olive garden actually has different drinks in utah than anywhere else.. to cater to the laws and tastes... but some places are not willing to do that.. like.. in utah you cannot purchase a bottle of wine and take it with u when u leave.... little things like that.. they seem little to the average person.. but on paper... it adds up.. when you don't have locations in every little town across the country... changing your marketing approach for the sake of ONE location.. is not always worth it.. I'm not saying that that was the reason.. because I don't know.. but if I was going to open a restaurant.. and I still have many other viable easy area's to grow first.. I wouldn't take on the alcohol laws and the headache it could create until I was more saturated elsewhere... does that make sense.. that was what I was leading on.. boise just seems to be easy.. they open.. and boom.. its a hit...no fuss.. relatively cheap license... for almost all the restaurants that have opened here recently

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 6:54 AM
Honored Member

Cool Agree

Quote:
I've never eaten at joey's or heard of it..

somebody told me that per capita.. boise has more restaurants than any other place in the US.. other than Las Vegas...

honestly.. there's so many damn places opening here.. that they don't announce them... so you almost have to just venture out and check places out every few months... to see whats new...
I'll have to look for it..
their website says its out on fairview.. which is out in mall land... hmmm

but having two locations in idaho.. when there isn't one in oregon or utah.. and just one in washington.. is pretty cool..
I agree that it will be cool to have a Joey's Seafood in Boise and Idaho Falls. Only proves your point more. And, that made by Idaho Business I.Q. Magazine.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 7:34 AM
Always running Late

I like new up and coming places.. its exciting... that is why I like boise.. and why I moved here... but.. u know.. idaho falls it is happening as well.. boise more on a national scale.. but idaho falls is emerging just as much on a regional and state level... one foot in front of the other.. I always say.. sky is the limit.. I can't take anything away from u there in IF.. because the developement u got going on.. for the size of town, and given the remoteness of your location.. there's some really cool shit going on there.. and that is exciting..atleast for me... I guess I'm in the wrong forum, I know its skyscrapers.. but I'm more impressed with an area when its culture makes it its own.. rather than its skyline.. the urban feel... looking up and seeing buildings is great.. but.. how vibrant, local interests, local fads, quirky things about a place.. that make it known.. I think that is exciting.. and I think idaho falls is on its way to doing that.. its finding its way.. definetely where it stands in the state, so.. next is the region...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 12:08 PM
Honored Member

Smile Thanks for the info

Quote:
well.. I wasn't referring to salt lake city.. and their demographics.. I was referring more to their alcohol laws.. anyone who knows anything about the restaurant industry... knows that the main money maker for u is alcohol... the olive garden actually has different drinks in utah than anywhere else.. to cater to the laws and tastes... but some places are not willing to do that.. like.. in utah you cannot purchase a bottle of wine and take it with u when u leave.... little things like that.. they seem little to the average person.. but on paper... it adds up.. when you don't have locations in every little town across the country... changing your marketing approach for the sake of ONE location.. is not always worth it.. I'm not saying that that was the reason.. because I don't know.. but if I was going to open a restaurant.. and I still have many other viable easy area's to grow first.. I wouldn't take on the alcohol laws and the headache it could create until I was more saturated elsewhere... does that make sense.. that was what I was leading on.. boise just seems to be easy.. they open.. and boom.. its a hit...no fuss.. relatively cheap license... for almost all the restaurants that have opened here recently

Thanks for explaining that more thoroughly, Boiseguy. I better understand, now, what you mean.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2I.F. View Post
Per Shop Talk, in the 6/11/07 Post Register, the building so many of us have been asking about, N. on Lindsay Blvd. off of Highway 20. But, the owner, David Bigelow, wouldn't confirm much more than 60 rooms.

So we were all right, but this one slipped in under the radar with an owner that doesn't want to discuss it. Hmmm.

Elsewhere, while this isn't the announcement we're anticipating about the "exciting restaurant," Joey's Seafood is going to open in Idaho Falls as well. Likely, it is the seafood restaurant Taylor's Crossing vaguely mentioned about a month ago.

Readers in Boise, since Joey's recently opened there, what is it like?

Hopefully, we'll get more information about the other restaurants who are already inked or completing the signing of their deals this week.
Here's the scoop on the "mystery" hotel; Microtel Inns is a discount hotel chain and for some reason Mr. Bigelow did not want to divulge this info.

After a quick web search I was able to obtain this info and now I can share it with everyone.

I.F. City: 56,813
I.F. Metro: 132,073
I.F. Bingham CSA: 178,025

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West