HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 3:19 PM

Last night I noticed the old Spoons location in the IV had a notice in the window about a Cafe coming soon.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 7:48 PM
Needs more coffee...

I met the owner the other day, who apparently owns other businesses in the city (but don't quote me on that).

The new cafe will be called Barbarossa's and will specialize in gluten-free food - not sure if it's going to be of a particular ethnicity or not.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 12:36 AM

Persian - Asil Taste

A new Persian restaurant, Asil Taste, opened today in the Gibson stretch of King East (just west of Holton). It just kinda sprung up without fanfare, or much notice from anyone. Small with 2 tables, so they will be relying on the take-out trade.

I was in to pick-up dinner tonight (chicken, lamb, kebab), and the food was really great, and plentiful (my lunch tomorrow is all looked after). It's family owned with Mom cooking the food, so you know it's good home type cooking, Persian style.

They are having a Grand Opening - buy one meal, get the second at half price - promotion, so if you are in the area.

Anyone who knows this stretch of King Street knows it's a "Dead Zone", so I hope they make it. Based on tonight's meal, I'm giving it my stamp of approval.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 10:34 AM

New in Westsale!

Hi all. Just to let you know there is a new restaurant in Westdale at King and Sterling. It is called Koosh Bistro. I went last night and it was excellent. Casual Fine Dining with Fresh Daily Homemade Pasta. The wine list is great! They are open Lunch and for Sunday Brunch, as well they will have live Jazz starting shortly. I was impressed with the Quality. The prices were excellent as well. Long overdue in this area....should be excellent competition to 1010 Bistro.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 1:35 PM
It's Hammer Time

Welcome to the forum!

Koosh Bistro sounds good! Fresh pasta is always good.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 1:43 PM
Closed account

They were working on that place forever. Glad to hear it's finally open. Will have it check it out.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 11:16 AM

The inside shows why they took so long. Beautiful place...tonne of work put into it.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 5:05 PM

Barbarossa's

The signs at Barbarossa's say it will be Afro-Brazilian / Moroccan
(also 'due to unforeseen circumstances' they will not be opening until December)

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
A new Persian restaurant, Asil Taste, opened today in the Gibson stretch of King East (just west of Holton). It just kinda sprung up without fanfare, or much notice from anyone. Small with 2 tables, so they will be relying on the take-out trade.
Thanks for the heads-up - I haven't had Persian food since leaving the UK (we had a great place about a mile from our old place).

Looks like it's perfectly located for us to pick up on the way home from work. Which gives me an idea for tonight..

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 11:57 PM

went to Koosh Bistro again! Koosh Pasta....I'm stuffed.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 4:04 PM

Quote:
It's family owned with Mom cooking the food, so you know it's good home type cooking, Persian style.
Yup. Definitely. Haven't eaten Persian since moving from London, including home cooking via a friend of my wife's - and this place is certainly hitting all the right buttons for us.

Quote:
They are having a Grand Opening - buy one meal, get the second at half price - promotion, so if you are in the area.
This was only for the first week, apparently (and so wasn't on when we visited) - but no matter, it's still damn good value. We'll definitely be back!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 4:10 PM

bluevue - no offence intended, but your posts really smack of a not-too-subtle marketing hit... apologies if I'm wrong, but I don't see you posting or commenting on anything else around here, and even though I'm far from a regular around here, I do at least try to check in on a few other topics, and generally get to know others.

but hey, I've been on fora for way too long (I go back to telnet chat days!), and, shall we say, have had enough hands-on exeperience from many many angles to get a whiff of such tactics a mile off... I'm just a bit sensitive to this kind of thing. it'd be great if you stick around, though, and join in the chats elsewhere... just a thought, eh?

xx

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofasurfer View Post
bluevue - no offence intended, but your posts really smack of a not-too-subtle marketing hit... apologies if I'm wrong, but I don't see you posting or commenting on anything else around here, and even though I'm far from a regular around here, I do at least try to check in on a few other topics, and generally get to know others.

but hey, I've been on fora for way too long (I go back to telnet chat days!), and, shall we say, have had enough hands-on exeperience from many many angles to get a whiff of such tactics a mile off... I'm just a bit sensitive to this kind of thing. it'd be great if you stick around, though, and join in the chats elsewhere... just a thought, eh?

xx
LOL.... bluevue, how about them Ti-Cats!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 7:10 PM
Closed account

You're not the only one who sensed that bluevue has a personal stake in Koosh. Since bluevue is obviously connected to the restaurant, I'll give my review. Hopefully s/he is checking in to see if there are any responses.

I went to Koosh with several friends last Saturday. We had a very nice time and will definitely go back, but there were a few kinks that need to be worked out. I will provide my constructive criticism in the hopes that Bluevue will take them take them to heart and work to improve the dining experience there.

I would give the decor and atmosphere a 9.5. Simple, sophisticated, and comfortable. I still don't see what could possibly have taken them so long as it is clean and simple. The woodworking is a little amateurish, but my dh is a designer/builder of fine furniture so we have impossibly high standards. The average diner will be very satisfied I'm sure.

When we arrived, there were several couples in the 40+ age range (as are we). In spite of this, loud rock music was playing that made it very difficult to converse. They were very amenable when we asked them to change the music, and quiet jazz was soon playing, but still, you have to question the savvy of a restaurateur who looks around at a room full of salt and pepper-haired diners and says to him/herself "I know, let's blast some rock!". A little more sense and sensitivity in the music department will go a long way to improving the overall dining experience.

Next up, a couple of the items we ordered were not available, but we were not told this till our order had been submitted to the kitchen, and the server had to return and ask us to make other selections. This is a tiny restaurant. Surely it couldn't be that difficult for the kitchen to communicate with the wait staff so they can inform diners what isn't available right off the bat. Also, there were no specials. Hopefully that will change with time.

The plates were too big for the small tables which made things quite awkward. These are the sorts of details which hopefully will be improved with time and experience, but as with the music, a little more savvy needs to be applied here.

Generally the food was quite good. My dh's chicken was a little dry, and my filet mignon could have been a little more flavourful, but overall I would give the food an 8.

The servers were great, if a little clumsy. I would put the clumsiness down to a combination of inexperience and the awkwardness created by the too-large plates. Again, hopefully this will improve.

As I said, we had a nice time, and will be back, but they'll need a little more polish if they want to give 1010 a run for their money. I wish them all the best, which is why I've posted this critique. All my criticisms are things that can easily be improved with a little more experience and attention to detail. Hopefully bluevue is listening.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
You're not the only one who sensed that bluevue has a personal stake in Koosh. Since bluevue is obviously connected to the restaurant
TOS breach, though, right?

FWIW, I think it's fine if you join a forum, take part a little, and then respectfully and gently plug something you're involved with.

The OP seems to completely miss this, and 3 posts in is basically giving an object lesson in e-marketing FAIL 101.

(Amongst other things, I used to jointly run a final year UG course in e-commerce and m-commerce - this is the kind of stuff that not even a first year at our place would have screwed up on)

FFS bluevue, at least be part of a community and/or have the decency to declare your interest from the outset. you'd gain a lot more potential respect that way. instead, I'm rapidly losing interest - regardless of reviews, how nice your decor is, etc (FWIW, I drive past every day - and it *does* look good from the outside - but please don't patronise people in this way. makes me very concerned as to how you'd take care of the rest of your operations.. or, indeed, anyone else who'd try this on)

</rantette over>

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 7:37 PM

Here's another marking hit: The Ship on Augusta is newly renovated with a more pub-like interior, new Cameron's and Robert Simpson taps, and.........

wait for it....................

$10 PITCHERS!!!!!!!!

ALL THE TIME!!!!!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 7:50 PM
Closed account

Quote:
makes me very concerned as to how you'd take care of the rest of your operations..
Yes. Lack of savvy all around. Hope they learn from this. We need more establishments like this in this town.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 7:55 PM

Is the Ship open for lunch?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
Hope they learn from this. We need more establishments like this in this town.
Don't get me wrong - from what I've seen of the storefront, it looks great, and more nice eateries in Westdale (and the city in general) is a Very Good Thing Indeed!

I just have serious issues with the way online communities are used as a marketing tool (in case you couldn't tell - but it's only cos I care!!)

...as it is, fresh pasta is a thing of beauty when done right. My wife (bless 'er) got me a pasta-making masterclass at Ramsey's Claridges kitchen a couple of years ago, and it's bloody hard work but can yield incredible results.
(my chocolate pasta poached pear giant ravioli very rarely get made, but by crikey they're good. a LOT of mess and work, mind you!)

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 9:22 PM
Closed account

Quote:
I just have serious issues with the way online communities are used as a marketing tool (in case you couldn't tell - but it's only cos I care!!)
I agree. You're absolutely right on this one.

Quote:
(my chocolate pasta poached pear giant ravioli very rarely get made, but by crikey they're good. a LOT of mess and work, mind you!)
Next meet-up at your place!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation